Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Garage door problems

I've got a bog-standard (B&Q, IIRC) up-and-over garage door, which has just
gone ping.

I opened it the other day, to find the big coiled spring had come off the
fitting at the end, so there's no tension whatsoever left - gravity is in
charge. I had an attempt at refitting it to the end, but of course it needs
to be wound on under tension...

Spring above the door -
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/adrian....ragedoor_1.jpg
The quadrant casting is what was completely detached from the spring.

The steel wires which hold up the door have unwound and just dangle
uselessly

LH
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/adrian....ragedoor_2.jpg
RH
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/adrian....ragedoor_3.jpg

The garage itself is not long for this world, but some kind of interim
solution (other than the current bit of wood as a prop...) or suggestions
of how to refix and tension it properly would be appreciated... Your
thoughts?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Spring above the door -http://homepage.ntlworld.com/adrian.chapman63/House/garagedoor_1.jpg

LHhttp://homepage.ntlworld.com/adrian.chapman63/House/garagedoor_2.jpg
RHhttp://homepage.ntlworld.com/adrian.chapman63/House/garagedoor_3.jpg

The garage itself is not long for this world, but some kind of interim
solution (other than the current bit of wood as a prop...) or suggestions
of how to refix and tension it properly would be appreciated... Your
thoughts?

The fittings look identical to my Henderson garage door which I
repaired recently. They are on the web http://preview.tinyurl.com/39hjrm
and have a very efficient spares service (my door is 35 yrs old). You
can buy a re-tensioning kit for winding the spring up again.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

) gurgled happily,
sounding much like they were saying :

The fittings look identical to my Henderson garage door which I
repaired recently. They are on the web
http://preview.tinyurl.com/39hjrm

Mmmm. They do look similar. I'll have a good look over it, see if there's
any branding on the hidden bits.

You can buy a re-tensioning kit for winding the spring up again.

Just over a tenner. Seems fair.