Posted to alt.home.repair
autonut843

Default garage door infrared beam problems when cold

Hi,
Sometimes when closing, my garage door reverses. It seems to happen
more when it is cold. I've tried releasing the opener and running it
manually. There is no significant binding. The reverse happens at
random locations on the close cycle. If I hold the inside button down
during the close cycle it will close all the way. This all leads me to
think it is the infrared beam that is having problems. I've tried
re-aiming it. The LED on the receiver is on solid when it should be.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

autonut843 wrote:
Hi,
Sometimes when closing, my garage door reverses. It seems to happen
more when it is cold. I've tried releasing the opener and running it
manually. There is no significant binding. The reverse happens at
random locations on the close cycle. If I hold the inside button down
during the close cycle it will close all the way. This all leads me
to think it is the infrared beam that is having problems. I've tried
re-aiming it. The LED on the receiver is on solid when it should be.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Make sure the LED and receptors are clean. Grease tends to get thick
when cold and metal may flex into positions that cause binding. The lube in
the motor and on the chain or screw may also be getting cold and causing
problems.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
news
autonut843 wrote:
[...]

Cold weather, light beam. perhaps there is condensation on the emitter or
sensor caused by the exhaust of the car. IR light is scattered easily by
water vapor and ice. Also check for a loose or intermittant connection with
the wiring which can open by vibration