Senior Member

Question Crack in colander (large sieve)

I am trying to repair a crack in a kitchen colander. I tried using Extra Strong Super Glue (cyanoacrylate) which I bought from the pound shop. It did not hold the crack together.

The plastic seems to be a heat-resistant type and the Super Glue doesn't adhere so well?

Do I need to use some other glue for this type of plasic?

Thanks.
Senior Member

Most likely your best bet is to just buy another colander.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Crack in colander (large sieve)

On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 23:35:56 +0000, M.Joshi
wrote:

I am trying to repair a crack in a kitchen colander. I tried using
Extra Strong Super Glue (cyanoacrylate) which I bought from the pound
shop. It did not hold the crack together.

The plastic seems to be a heat-resistant type and the Super Glue doesn't
adhere so well?

Do I need to use some other glue for this type of plasic?

Thanks.

It is probably a plastic compound containing PE. Glue wont stick to
it. Heat weld it together or buy a new one for $2.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I am trying to repair a crack in a kitchen colander. I tried using
Extra Strong Super Glue (cyanoacrylate) which I bought from the pound
shop. It did not hold the crack together.

The plastic seems to be a heat-resistant type and the Super Glue doesn't
adhere so well?

Do I need to use some other glue for this type of plasic?

Thanks.

I have never found SuperGlue to be worth much for anything. I'd suggest
an epoxy, but for plastic, it's debatable if it will hold, unless it's
made for plastic. By the time you buy the glues, why not just buy a new
collander. I recall the old ones were made of aluminum, and lasted 50
years. But these days, everything is plastic ****, made to be replaced
every year or two.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I am trying to repair a crack in a kitchen colander. I tried using
Extra Strong Super Glue (cyanoacrylate) which I bought from the pound
shop. It did not hold the crack together.

The plastic seems to be a heat-resistant type and the Super Glue doesn't
adhere so well?

Do I need to use some other glue for this type of plasic?

Thanks.

It is probably a plastic compound containing PE. Glue wont stick to
it. Heat weld it together or buy a new one for $2.

How does someone heat weld something like that? I'm assuming some
special equipment is needed. I agree for the OP to buy a new one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

M.Joshi wrote:
I am trying to repair a crack in a kitchen colander. I tried using
Extra Strong Super Glue (cyanoacrylate) which I bought from the pound
shop. It did not hold the crack together.

The plastic seems to be a heat-resistant type and the Super Glue doesn't
adhere so well?

Do I need to use some other glue for this type of plasic?

Thanks.

Get a big fresnel lens....

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I am trying to repair a crack in a kitchen colander. *I tried using
Extra Strong Super Glue (cyanoacrylate) which I bought from the pound
shop. *It did not hold the crack together.

The plastic seems to be a heat-resistant type and the Super Glue doesn't
adhere so well?

Do I need to use some other glue for this type of plasic?

Thanks.

It is probably a plastic compound containing PE. Glue wont stick to
it. *Heat weld it together or buy a new one for $2.

How does someone heat weld something like that? *I'm assuming some
special equipment is needed. *I agree for the OP to buy a new one.

heat welding of plastics

http://www.iapd.org/dwp_test/pdf/tip...moplastics.pdf
Posted to alt.home.repair

M.Joshi wrote the following on 3/13/2013 7:35 PM (ET):
I am trying to repair a crack in a kitchen colander. I tried using
Extra Strong Super Glue (cyanoacrylate) which I bought from the pound
shop. It did not hold the crack together.

The plastic seems to be a heat-resistant type and the Super Glue doesn't
adhere so well?

Do I need to use some other glue for this type of plasic?

Thanks.

1. If plastic - epoxy
2. If metal - JB-Weld
3. If old - buy a new one.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Joshi View Post
I am trying to repair a crack in a kitchen colander. I tried using Extra Strong Super Glue (cyanoacrylate) which I bought from the pound shop. It did not hold the crack together.

The plastic seems to be a heat-resistant type and the Super Glue doesn't adhere so well?

Do I need to use some other glue for this type of plasic?

Thanks.
Before you spend a lot of time trying to fix that old plastic colander, maybe check out the prices of new ones. Look in your Yellow Pages phone directory under "Restaurant Equipment & Supplies" and phone any of the places listed there to find out what you can buy a new stainless steel colander for.

If you were to opt for buying a used stainless steel colander (and just sterilize it by washing it with bleach) you'll probably find that the price is so low that you'll regret having wasted time trying to fix your old plastic one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 09:35:20 -0400, willshak
wrote:

M.Joshi wrote the following on 3/13/2013 7:35 PM (ET):
I am trying to repair a crack in a kitchen colander. I tried using
Extra Strong Super Glue (cyanoacrylate) which I bought from the pound
shop. It did not hold the crack together.

The plastic seems to be a heat-resistant type and the Super Glue doesn't
adhere so well?

Do I need to use some other glue for this type of plasic?

Thanks.

1. If plastic - epoxy
2. If metal - JB-Weld
3. If old - buy a new one.

About 15 years ago, I had one of those plastic things that are screwed
into a car engine, and have several nipples on them, which vacuum hoses
attach to them. One of the nipples broke off, and I could not find a
replacement part since the car was quite old. I did find an identical
car at a junkyard, but that one had one or more nipples beoke off that
same part. An auto parts store had some special epoxy which was made to
be used on plastic. He said that stuff really works, and the only thing
I have to avoid, is filling the hole inside that nipple, or the vacuum
wont work. I bought some, and went to the local hardware store and
bought some thin brass tubing which they sold in one foot lengths. I
cut an inch of that tubing, shoved it in the two pieces and applied that
epoxy. I had that car for many years, and that patch held well. Later,
I used the same stuff to fix a piece of the car's plastic grill that
broke off when I slid on ice and bumped into an icy snowpile. Once
again, that patch held well.

Now, I wish I could remember the name of that stuff. I'd recommend it
to anyone. Best plastic repair adhesive I have ever found. But I have
no idea what it was called. All I can remember, is that it dried with a
yellow color.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The only way to patch some types of plastic is to do like you did in the
first case is to basically glue on a reinforcement.

In a decorative structure like your car grill, I suspect most glues
would work.

In the case of the colander, I just looked at one in our kitchen and it
is cracked but wife is still using it. Appears to be polyethylene which
no glue will work. I started to mess it up by heating with a cigarette
lighter but it would not melt properly to seal. This is an item to just
be tossed when functionality is lost. You also have to remember that
most plastics degrade with time from heat and light and lose strength
and are not worth patching.
Senior Member

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by nestork View Post
Before you spend a lot of time trying to fix that old plastic colander, maybe check out the prices of new ones. Look in your Yellow Pages phone directory under "Restaurant Equipment & Supplies" and phone any of the places listed there to find out what you can buy a new stainless steel colander for.

If you were to opt for buying a used stainless steel colander (and just sterilize it by washing it with bleach) you'll probably find that the price is so low that you'll regret having wasted time trying to fix your old plastic one.
The colander isn't very old and I thought if there was a cheap and easy solution, I would use it. I hate throwing things away - especially, if they aren't very old.

I think I will buy a new stainless steel replacement - it seems they only cost around £3-4 from the likes of Argos or Tesco.

Would be useful to know the name/type of that strong automotive epoxy - willshack?

Thanks for all the replies - didn't expect quite so many!

Coarse kitchen sieve Nick Maclaren UK diy 30 December 13th 13 03:03 PM
Firefox Sieve Bill[_18_] UK diy 12 May 30th 12 07:29 PM
Colander Repair - Completed Joseph Gwinn Metalworking 1 February 8th 10 12:03 AM
Colander Repair Joseph Gwinn Metalworking 33 December 26th 09 09:20 PM
Is there an easier way to fix a crack in a large PVC pipe? MiamiCuse Home Repair 27 November 11th 08 03:49 AM