Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Colander Repair - Completed

In December 2009, I started a thread titled "Colander Repair" (on the
best way to reattach a foot released by absence or failure of spot
welds), in which I settled upon Type 303 SS rivets from McMaster-Carr,
and the setting tool.

Rivets: McMaster 97386A139, 3/32" shaft diameter, 1/4" long, flat head,
18-8 SS, 250 for $12.

Setting tool: 6663A21, for 3/32" shafts, $24.

Today I replaced the swaged-over 2-56 screws with these rivets. I had
to ream the holes out with a #41 (0.096") drill, to accept the 0.095"
barrels of the rivets. It turned out that the business end of the
rivet-setting tool is too large to be used for this job, so I just used
a ball-peen hammer against a big iron block used as the anvil.

It was dead easy and works very well, the feet feel very secure, and
there are no screw threads to catch on things. This is likely a
permanent fix.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joseph Gwinn wrote:

[...]

What, no pictures? It is a nice feeling when you can repair something you have grown
comfortable with.

Wes