Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Crack in colander (large sieve)

On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 13:58:20 -0600, wrote:

An auto parts store had some special epoxy which was made to
be used on plastic. He said that stuff really works, and the only thing
I have to avoid, is filling the hole inside that nipple, or the vacuum
wont work. I bought some, and went to the local hardware store and
bought some thin brass tubing which they sold in one foot lengths. I
cut an inch of that tubing, shoved it in the two pieces and applied that
epoxy. I had that car for many years, and that patch held well. Later,
I used the same stuff to fix a piece of the car's plastic grill that
broke off when I slid on ice and bumped into an icy snowpile. Once
again, that patch held well.

Now, I wish I could remember the name of that stuff. I'd recommend it
to anyone. Best plastic repair adhesive I have ever found. But I have
no idea what it was called. All I can remember, is that it dried with a
yellow color.

There are hundreds maybe thousand of plastic compounds. While it may
work great with some, it won't work with others.

Polyethylene is notorious for adhesives not holding.
Polystyrene can be easily held with many adhesives.