Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New Tool

Well, new to me, anyway. Probably just ignored previous notice because of
the prices.

In Harbor Freight's circular promoting their Sidewalk Sale March 8-10, they
have:

12" Sliding, Compound, DOUBLE-BEVEL Miter Saw (with laser guide). Regular
price: $199.99, web sale price: $169.99, Sidewalk Sale price $119.99!

What's different from a regular or sliding miter saw is, when looking
straight at it (not down), the blade will rotate 45d clockwise and
counter-clockwise. Check the small pictures at:

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-doub...ide-69684.html

Competitor's offerings are in the $400-$600 range (DeWalt $399, Bosch $539,
Craftsman $599, Northern Tool $399, Jet $739)

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 2/22/2013 6:21 AM, HeyBub wrote:
Well, new to me, anyway. Probably just ignored previous notice because of
the prices.

In Harbor Freight's circular promoting their Sidewalk Sale March 8-10, they
have:

12" Sliding, Compound, DOUBLE-BEVEL Miter Saw (with laser guide). Regular
price: $199.99, web sale price: $169.99, Sidewalk Sale price $119.99!

What's different from a regular or sliding miter saw is, when looking
straight at it (not down), the blade will rotate 45d clockwise and
counter-clockwise. Check the small pictures at:

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-doub...ide-69684.html

A lot of the double bevel miter saws only tilt the blade in one
direction so you have to turn the work around if you need the bevel the
other way.

Posted to alt.home.repair
rlz rlz is offline

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-doub...mpound-miter-s...

Competitor's offerings are in the $400-$600 range (DeWalt $399, Bosch $539,
Craftsman $599, Northern Tool $399, Jet $739)

I just looked at the reviews listed on the site, It says that there
is no blade brake. I'm not sure if I would buy one for that reason.
I'm used to sticking my hand down there pretty quick. No brake may
mean getting my hand cut.
Posted to alt.home.repair

rlz wrote:
On Feb 22, 7:21 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
[...]

Good point for the safety conscious. Generally, when I finish a cut I spend
a few moments mulling "Crap, that isn't what I wanted!" So my blade has a
chance to stop...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 08:21:51 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Well, new to me, anyway. Probably just ignored previous notice because of
the prices.

In Harbor Freight's circular promoting their Sidewalk Sale March 8-10, they
have:

12" Sliding, Compound, DOUBLE-BEVEL Miter Saw (with laser guide). Regular
price: $199.99, web sale price: $169.99, Sidewalk Sale price $119.99!

What's different from a regular or sliding miter saw is, when looking
straight at it (not down), the blade will rotate 45d clockwise and
counter-clockwise. Check the small pictures at:

You can cut two angles at once. Great for crown molding.

",,,The blade on a single-bevel miter saw can only be tilted in one
direction, whereas a double-bevel miter saw can be tilted in both
directions to give you more cutting flexibility."

Pic:

http://www.juliancassell.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Double-bevel-mitre-saw.jpg

Before yo buy, check the manual to ensure you can "tune" the saw for
better adjustments and accurate cuts.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 2/22/2013 10:17 AM, SMS wrote:

A lot of the double bevel miter saws only tilt the blade in one
direction...

So that lot of double bevel miter saws aren't...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/22/2013 10:19 AM, rlz wrote:
On Feb 22, 7:21 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
[...]

Many old school carpenters tie the blade guard back on the power saws
they use. When I worked as an electrician on construction sites, one
of my jobs was repairing the sliced power cords on the power saws. I
let the medics take care of cut dumb asses. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 08:19:47 -0800 (PST), rlz
wrote:

On Feb 22, 7:21*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
[...]

I can't see the ad but my 10" HF has a blade guard. The brake isn't so
important. The HF saw is good enough for building the shed out back
but for woodworking, not so much. You really can't compare a $100 HF
saw to a $500 Bosch (and $600 for a Crapsman is *nuts*).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 22, 9:21*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Well, new to me, anyway. Probably just ignored previous notice because of
the prices.

In Harbor Freight's circular promoting their Sidewalk Sale March 8-10, they
have:

12" Sliding, Compound, DOUBLE-BEVEL Miter Saw (with laser guide). Regular
price: $199.99, web sale price: $169.99, Sidewalk Sale price $119.99!

What's different from a regular or sliding miter saw is, when looking
straight at it (not down), the blade will rotate 45d clockwise and
counter-clockwise. Check the small pictures at:

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-doub...mpound-miter-s...

Competitor's offerings are in the $400-$600 range (DeWalt $399, Bosch $539,
Craftsman $599, Northern Tool $399, Jet $739)

I've used my Delta miter saw for cutting long lengths of 3/4" steel
rod into 1" sections for making round nuts. I have no proof other than
my experiences with other HF power tools, but I'm guessing that a $120
HF miter saw would not stand up to the abuse I've put my Delta saw
through.

Northern Tool $399

What Northern Tool miter saw are you referring to? Klutch is a
Northern Tool "brand" as is NorthStar. The only miter saw I found
under those brands is a $149 Klutch.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...%2Bmiter%2Bsaw

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 12:14:28 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Feb 22, 9:21*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
[...]

Probably, as long as you're not concerned about accuracy. As I said
in another post, the HF saws aren't terrible, at all. The problem is
that they're a PITA to adjust and they won't hold their accuracy.
They're plenty good for framing but compound miters will be painful.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 12:00:28 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

Many old school carpenters tie the blade guard back on the power saws
they use.

One got 700 stitches in his leg near his hip doing that. It took
three or more men to get him off the roof, circa 1960's
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Many old school carpenters tie the blade guard back on the power saws
they use.

One got 700 stitches in his leg near his hip doing that. It took
three or more men to get him off the roof, circa 1960's

But the idiots keep doing it. The last Skill circular saw I owned had a
feature I liked because I could press a lever that would retract the
blade guard but only when the saw was securely in your grip. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Many old school carpenters tie the blade guard back on the power saws
they use.

One got 700 stitches in his leg near his hip doing that. It took
three or more men to get him off the roof, circa 1960's

But the idiots keep doing it. The last Skill circular saw I owned had a
feature I liked because I could press a lever that would retract the
blade guard but only when the saw was securely in your grip. ^_^

TDD

Dad would lift the guard an inch or so. Starting his cut and release
the blade guard. Simple. Still have protection.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Many old school carpenters tie the blade guard back on the power saws
they use.

One got 700 stitches in his leg near his hip doing that. It took
three or more men to get him off the roof, circa 1960's

But the idiots keep doing it. The last Skill circular saw I owned had a
feature I liked because I could press a lever that would retract the
blade guard but only when the saw was securely in your grip. ^_^

TDD

Dad would lift the guard an inch or so. Starting his cut and release
the blade guard. Simple. Still have protection.

That's an common technique required for certain types of cuts, especially
plunge cuts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Many old school carpenters tie the blade guard back on the power saws
they use.

One got 700 stitches in his leg near his hip doing that. It took
three or more men to get him off the roof, circa 1960's

But the idiots keep doing it. The last Skill circular saw I owned had a
feature I liked because I could press a lever that would retract the
blade guard but only when the saw was securely in your grip. ^_^

TDD

Dad would lift the guard an inch or so. Starting his cut and release
the blade guard. Simple. Still have protection.

That's an common technique required for certain types of cuts, especially
plunge cuts.

I agree but Billy Bob the carpenter would tie the guard back and
depending on how much he'd had to drink that morning would forget
and set the saw down while the blade was still spinning and the saw
would take off like a jackrabbit across the job site. O_o

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

And the 700 stitches I noted, well he sat the runnging blade on his
leg. Roof top rescue.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I've started to believe that tools and consumer products should be
designed to be as dangerous as possible. We need to thin the herd
and get rid of as many dumb asses as we can. I think it would be a
good idea to design vehicles to explode on impact, burn to a pile of ash
that will blow away in the wind or wash down the sewer during a rain. A
fireproof medallion with the vehicle registration would be all that
would be left behind so the vehicle could be marked off the rolls. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 18:22:51 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

I've started to believe that tools and consumer products should be
designed to be as dangerous as possible. We need to thin the herd
and get rid of as many dumb asses as we can. I think it would be a
good idea to design vehicles to explode on impact, burn to a pile of ash
that will blow away in the wind or wash down the sewer during a rain. A
fireproof medallion with the vehicle registration would be all that
would be left behind so the vehicle could be marked off the rolls. ^_^

TDD

Mouse over this map. (Las Vegas strip)

http://www.8newsnow.com/story/21295328/las-vegas-strip-shooting-crash-leave-3-dead

One block from where Tupac was shot dead as a door nail (unsolved).
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I've started to believe that tools and consumer products should be
designed to be as dangerous as possible. We need to thin the herd
and get rid of as many dumb asses as we can. I think it would be a
good idea to design vehicles to explode on impact, burn to a pile of ash
that will blow away in the wind or wash down the sewer during a rain. A
fireproof medallion with the vehicle registration would be all that
would be left behind so the vehicle could be marked off the rolls. ^_^

TDD

Mouse over this map. (Las Vegas strip)

http://www.8newsnow.com/story/21295328/las-vegas-strip-shooting-crash-leave-3-dead

One block from where Tupac was shot dead as a door nail (unsolved).

That story has been all over the news talk radio stations for the last
few days and it's like something out of an action movie with exploding
cars, gun fire from a moving vehicle, etc. O_o

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

And not once has the media remotely suggested these are gangsters
killing others, routinely on a fairly basis. Where is the bad in that.

Because I want a gun, other people want to grab them. I'm use to Vegas
now days.

Old news. I'm here.

"...The third time the United States reached DEFCON 3 was during the
September 11 attacks of 2001."

(polishing bullets)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I've used my Delta miter saw for cutting long lengths of 3/4" steel
rod into 1" sections for making round nuts. I have no proof other than
my experiences with other HF power tools, but I'm guessing that a $120
HF miter saw would not stand up to the abuse I've put my Delta saw
through.

Everything has a place.
HF tools are OK for the guy that will cut a dozen 2 x 4's a year with
accuracy needed of ± 1/4". Last him a lifetime.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Wasn't there a rapper killed in the attack? I do believe they glorify
the gangster lifestyle in their music so why would anyone be surprised
when one or more rap stars die in a hail of bullets? O_o

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Northern Tool $399

What Northern Tool miter saw are you referring to? Klutch is a
Northern Tool "brand" as is NorthStar. The only miter saw I found
under those brands is a $149 Klutch.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...%2Bmiter%2Bsaw

Could be this one:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...6900_200326900

I probably made a mistake in glancing at the page...

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 2/23/2013 6:29 AM, HeyBub wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Northern Tool $399

What Northern Tool miter saw are you referring to? ...

Could be this one:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...6900_200326900

I probably made a mistake in glancing at the page...

Hmmm....I see DeW has a new one (to me, anyway) out, the DWS780. It's
$700 and weighs almost 50% more than the DW716 (~50 lb vis a vis roughly
40).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 03:10:29 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

Wasn't there a rapper killed in the attack? I do believe they glorify
the gangster lifestyle in their music so why would anyone be surprised
when one or more rap stars die in a hail of bullets? O_o

TDD

Yes. And two innocent people. A taxi driver and a female tourist in
the taxi that exploded in a fire ball. Hit by his Maserati.

A line from his lyrics: "I done seen futures turn bright, one mistake
change lives all in one night.”

Rap music sucks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 13:09:36 -0800, Oren wrote in
Re New Tool:

wrote:

Wasn't there a rapper killed in the attack? I do believe they glorify
the gangster lifestyle in their music so why would anyone be surprised
when one or more rap stars die in a hail of bullets? O_o

TDD

Yes. And two innocent people. A taxi driver and a female tourist in
the taxi that exploded in a fire ball. Hit by his Maserati.

A line from his lyrics: "I done seen futures turn bright, one mistake
change lives all in one night.”

Rap music sucks.

So it does; but it is merely a reflection of those who espouse it.
Those who live like **** die like ****. Unfortunately, there are
always innocents and that is a tragedy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Umm...isn't ~50 only ~25% more than roughly 40?

I guess it depends on how "roughly" you are approximating, but still, 50%
is roughly a lot more than 25%. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 2/23/2013 9:37 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Hmmm....I see DeW has a new one (to me, anyway) out, the DWS780. It's
$700 and weighs almost 50% more than the DW716 (~50 lb vis a vis roughly 40).

Umm...isn't ~50 only ~25% more than roughly 40?

I guess it depends on how "roughly" you are approximating, but still, 50%
is roughly a lot more than 25%. ;-)

Typo..the ~50 was intended to be ~60...

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
On 2/23/2013 9:37 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Hmmm....I see DeW has a new one (to me, anyway) out, the DWS780. It's
$700 and weighs almost 50% more than the DW716 (~50 lb vis a vis roughly 40).

Umm...isn't ~50 only ~25% more than roughly 40?

I guess it depends on how "roughly" you are approximating, but still, 50%
is roughly a lot more than 25%. ;-)

Typo..the ~50 was intended to be ~60...

Ahhh....makes sense now.

The issue with miter saws is not just the weight, but the bulkiness. At
least with the few I've had the pleasure of transporting, there's no
comfortable way to hold them. I noticed that a lot of the new saws have
built in carrying handles. My old Delta doesn't have one.

I've got mine mounted to a U shaped base made from hardwood to make it
easier to clamp down, so I've also got something extra to grab onto when I
carry it. It's still a pain, especially when trying to go through doorways
with the extensions installed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I've used my Delta miter saw for cutting long lengths of 3/4" steel
rod into 1" sections for making round nuts. I have no proof other than
my experiences with other HF power tools, but I'm guessing that a $120
HF miter saw would not stand up to the abuse I've put my Delta saw
through.

Everything has a place.
HF tools are OK for the guy that will cut a dozen 2 x 4's a year with
accuracy needed of ± 1/4". Last him a lifetime.

Nice FUD there, Ed. My HF miter saw cuts square and true, with accuracy
only limited to my desire to line up the cut with the blade.

If I was a contractor I'd buy a PRO quality tool, but my limited needs
are served just fine with the HF unit.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I've used my Delta miter saw for cutting long lengths of 3/4" steel
rod into 1" sections for making round nuts. I have no proof other than
my experiences with other HF power tools, but I'm guessing that a $120
HF miter saw would not stand up to the abuse I've put my Delta saw
through.

Everything has a place.
HF tools are OK for the guy that will cut a dozen 2 x 4's a year with
accuracy needed of ± 1/4". Last him a lifetime.

Nice FUD there, Ed. My HF miter saw cuts square and true, with accuracy
only limited to my desire to line up the cut with the blade.

Not true. The arm/rail is not perfectly rigid, the bearings are not
perfectly true, and the latches have hysterisis. Even if you could
set it up perfectly (you can't - there aren't the adjustments), it
wouldn't hold them for a cut. Errors add up.

If I was a contractor I'd buy a PRO quality tool, but my limited needs
are served just fine with the HF unit.

That may be true and for framing, it probably is. They're not so good
for finish work, though. Note that I have their 10" SMCS and it's
well worth the $100 I paid for it ten years ago. It's no match for my
Bosch, though (and the Bosch is far from perfect). Yes, I still use
both.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I've used my Delta miter saw for cutting long lengths of 3/4" steel
rod into 1" sections for making round nuts. I have no proof other than
my experiences with other HF power tools, but I'm guessing that a $120
HF miter saw would not stand up to the abuse I've put my Delta saw
through.

Everything has a place.
HF tools are OK for the guy that will cut a dozen 2 x 4's a year with
accuracy needed of ± 1/4". Last him a lifetime.

I'm confused. How can a miter saw be off ± 1/4"?

If I draw a line and line up the blade with that line, it's going to be as
accurate as my measurement and my eye.

If I use a stop block for multiple cuts, it's going to be as accurate as my
ability to position the stop block in the correct position.

Are you saying that the blade of a HF miter saw is going to shift ± 1/4"
between cuts?

Here's a tip for shaving just a bit off of a board with a miter saw:

Lower the blade to the lowest position. Slide the workpiece along the table
until it exerts a very small amount of sideways pressure on the blade.
Holding the wood firmly in position, raise the blade, start the saw and
bring it back down. You'll shave off just a minuscule amount of wood.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 22:26:33 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Everything has a place.
HF tools are OK for the guy that will cut a dozen 2 x 4's a year with
accuracy needed of ± 1/4". Last him a lifetime.

I'm confused. How can a miter saw be off ± 1/4"?

If I draw a line and line up the blade with that line, it's going to be as
accurate as my measurement and my eye.

If I use a stop block for multiple cuts, it's going to be as accurate as my
ability to position the stop block in the correct position.

Are you saying that the blade of a HF miter saw is going to shift ± 1/4"
between cuts?

I'm talking in generalities, many tools, not just your saw. Yes, a
stop block solves most of the problems, but any saw can have a tiny
shift from stroke to stroke, but we don't use micrometers for wood
working.

I've seen low priced tools that are crap. I've seen low price tools
that are identical to the ones selling for 3X the price, the only
difference is the nameplate. I've seen low priced tools that do an
excellent job. You have to use care in selecting them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Everything has a place.
HF tools are OK for the guy that will cut a dozen 2 x 4's a year with
accuracy needed of ± 1/4". Last him a lifetime.

I'm confused. How can a miter saw be off ± 1/4"?

If I draw a line and line up the blade with that line, it's going to be as
accurate as my measurement and my eye.

If I use a stop block for multiple cuts, it's going to be as accurate as my
ability to position the stop block in the correct position.

Are you saying that the blade of a HF miter saw is going to shift ± 1/4"
between cuts?

I'm talking in generalities, many tools, not just your saw. Yes, a
stop block solves most of the problems, but any saw can have a tiny
shift from stroke to stroke, but we don't use micrometers for wood
working.

I see what you are saying, however, many woodworkers do use micrometers, as
well as dial indicators. I do.

Just some examples...

http://lumberjocks.com/topics/28627

http://americanwoodworker.com/blogs/...indicator.aspx