Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GE Microwave

I have a GE microwave that is about 15 years old. Just last week it started
making a clunking sound as the turntable started. It appears to be skipping
as the turntable stops very briefly, then starts up again, then repeats
and repeats.

Does this sound like a common problem that is fixable? I havent taken it
apart: if it is plastic gears (i.e. stripped) is it likely to be
something I could repair in a DIY workshop?

Thx,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 Feb 2013 19:25:38 -0500, Hench wrote:

I second this response...

First (and second etc)thing I tried. Makes no difference.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 Feb 2013 14:31:17 -0600, Puddin' Man
wrote:

I have a GE microwave that is about 15 years old. Just last week it started
making a clunking sound as the turntable started. It appears to be skipping
as the turntable stops very briefly, then starts up again, then repeats
and repeats.

Does this sound like a common problem that is fixable? I havent taken it
apart: if it is plastic gears (i.e. stripped) is it likely to be
something I could repair in a DIY workshop?

Thx,

I have a built in about the same age and I think it works fine. I
say I think because the wife seems to have problems with it that I
have yet to encounter. So I don't know if it's her or the microwave.
I'm contemplating a new one soon regardless because I think if you get
15 to 20 years, that's about as good as you will get.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/16/2013 12:00 AM, Doug wrote:

So I don't know if it's her or the microwave.
I'm contemplating a new one soon regardless because I think if you get
15 to 20 years, that's about as good as you will get.

Yes, but which one are you referring to?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/15/2013 2:31 PM, Puddin' Man wrote:

I have a GE microwave that is about 15 years old. Just last week it started
making a clunking sound as the turntable started. It appears to be skipping
as the turntable stops very briefly, then starts up again, then repeats
and repeats.

Does this sound like a common problem that is fixable? I havent taken it
apart: if it is plastic gears (i.e. stripped) is it likely to be
something I could repair in a DIY workshop?

Thx,

I've not ever seen one of these that has any type of gears for the
turntable. There is a small motor that you access through the bottom
center. You will have to snip the metal tabs around the plate to access
if no one has ever been there before - metal plate will be held with a
screw. Check on the cost of the motor, it should be under $20. They
all look alike, so if you see a microwave at curb side, don't hesitate
to rob its motor.

--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/15/2013 3:31 PM, Puddin' Man wrote:

I have a GE microwave that is about 15 years old. Just last week it started
making a clunking sound as the turntable started.

If you decide to buy a new micro, consider the Panasonic Inverter models
or the Whirlpool Accuwave Power System models.

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/micro...top-microwaves

http://www.whirlpool.com/-[WMH75520AW]-1021232/WMH75520AW/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/16/2013 10:09 AM, bud-- wrote:
On 2/16/2013 12:00 AM, Doug wrote:

So I don't know if it's her or the microwave.
I'm contemplating a new one soon regardless because I think if you get
15 to 20 years, that's about as good as you will get.

Yes, but which one are you referring to?

Both can be bad for your health after a certain number of years...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 09:09:58 -0600, bud--
wrote:

On 2/16/2013 12:00 AM, Doug wrote:

So I don't know if it's her or the microwave.
I'm contemplating a new one soon regardless because I think if you get
15 to 20 years, that's about as good as you will get.

Yes, but which one are you referring to?

Excellent question.... my wife even got a kick out of it.
Let me have some more time to answer the question and I'll get back to
you g.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 11:06:36 -0500, Hench wrote:

On 2/16/2013 10:09 AM, bud-- wrote:
On 2/16/2013 12:00 AM, Doug wrote:

So I don't know if it's her or the microwave.
I'm contemplating a new one soon regardless because I think if you get
15 to 20 years, that's about as good as you will get.

Yes, but which one are you referring to?

Both can be bad for your health after a certain number of years...

Actually when mine were both new, the microwave was a lot easy to
adjust to g.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 10:33:35 -0500, Alton Browne
wrote:

http://www.whirlpool.com/-[WMH75520AW]-1021232/WMH75520AW/

Neither of those are equipped with probes for cooking by
temperature of the food.

--
croy

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

http://www.whirlpool.com/-[WMH75520AW]-1021232/WMH75520AW/

Neither of those are equipped with probes for cooking by
temperature of the food.

Does anyone actually use those? Does anyone actually use microwave
ovens for cooking?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 18, 9:02*am, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 05:49:54 -0800 (PST), "

wrote:
Neither of those are equipped with probes for cooking by
temperature of the food.

Does anyone actually use those? *Does anyone actually use microwave
ovens for cooking?

I haven't and it would not be on my list of features. *How is
a probe even possible in most microwave ovens today?
They typically have rotating bases and wouldn't the cord
from the probe get tangled up?

We had one on a MW from some 20+ years ago. *Instead of a rotating
table, it had a reflective fan under the bottom that acted the same
way. *The probe was handy for a few uses to see the temperature or
even to set it to shut off at a predetermined temperature. *They are
more expensive to build though and few people use them.

Microwave cooking can be done very well if you use the proper
techniques. *I'd say 98% of the owners have no idea how to use one
properly, what different power settings are for, importance of waiting
time, etc.

The biggest downside is you get no crust in a MW. *Aside from that,
you actually can cook a beef roast to the doneness you desire and a
more rare interior, just like a regular oven. *You have to get past
the no outer crustiness though.

And eating a gray piece of meat. A lot of the flavor, probably
most of it, comes from the searing that you get with a
conventional method.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 06:11:55 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Microwave cooking can be done very well if you use the proper
techniques. *I'd say 98% of the owners have no idea how to use one
properly, what different power settings are for, importance of waiting
time, etc.

The biggest downside is you get no crust in a MW. *Aside from that,
you actually can cook a beef roast to the doneness you desire and a
more rare interior, just like a regular oven. *You have to get past
the no outer crustiness though.

And eating a gray piece of meat. A lot of the flavor, probably
most of it, comes from the searing that you get with a
conventional method.

No, my point is, you don't have to eat gray meat. The major
difference is you don't get the outside sear but you do get the inside
flavor and gradient of doneness. I've done it.

When we bought our first mw some years ago, the store offered a three
class program. Appetizers, entree, desserts. They demonstrated what
can be done and how to do it. We cooked real food and ate it at the
end of each class. The beef roast was very good, not gray.

There is more to it that just setting the time on high power for
everything.

From your comment, I'll have to put you in the 98% category I
mentioned.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

From your comment, I'll have to put you in the 98% category I
mentioned.

I do baked potatoes and corn on the cob often. Works for me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

http://www.whirlpool.com/-[WMH75520AW]-1021232/WMH75520AW/

Neither of those are equipped with probes for cooking by
temperature of the food.

Does anyone actually use those?

I do, about half of the times I use the MW. More often than
not, just to heat liquid to a particular temp. It doesn't
matter what temp the liquid is to start with, how much there
is, or exactly what the liquid is--I just punch in the temp
I want, and wait for the bell.

Does anyone actually use microwave ovens for cooking?

The wife still eats potatoes and popcorn, and those cook
well in the MW. Of course you could argue that's not
cooking, but rather just heating.

I'm actually having trouble thinking of any real cooking
that I do in the MW--mostly just heating things up to a nice
eating temp. I used to scramble eggs and cook them in the
MW, but not anymore--it's just to rude to the fats in the
yolks.

--
croy

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Chuck" wrote in message
..

I do baked potatoes and corn on the cob often. Works for me.

That is about all I cook in the MW also. Just warm up other things.

I found on the internet to put corn on the cob, shucks and all for 4 minuits
per ear. Cut off the end away from the silk and then pull it out of the
shuck, silk and all while still hot. Some of the best corn I have ever
eaten.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

From your comment, I'll have to put you in the 98% category I
mentioned.

Have you ever seen a professional chef at any restaurant
even the local crap diner, cook a steak in a microwave?
Can you produce a steak that tastes and looks like these in a
microwave?

http://www.on-stjohn.com/2009/05/05/...vittles-steak/

http://thesuiteworld.com/dining/mast...e-los-angeles/

You acknowledged that you don't get an outside
sear. That sear is what produces the Maillard reaction that
gives proteins a lot of their taste. Why do you think, for example,
that when you're making braised short ribs, or even chili,
you BROWN the meat first? Why do you think you deglaze a
pan to get the brown bits when making a sauce? It's not just
about looks, there is a tremendous amount of flavor coming
from the searing process. To most people the look of the piece
of beef is very important too. Not having that seared surface,
you lose all that potential flavor. And sorry, but it looks like
crap too. What's next? Boiling it?

From your comments, I'll have to put you in the category of
those that have no idea of what food should taste like, what it
should look like and how to cook.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 18, 11:01*am, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:
"Chuck" wrote in message

.

I do baked potatoes and corn on the cob often. Works for me.

That is about all I cook in the MW also. *Just warm up other things.

I found on the internet to put corn on the cob, shucks and all for 4 minuits
per ear. *Cut off the end away from the silk and then pull it out of the
shuck, silk and all while still hot. *Some of the best corn I have ever
eaten.

Try just putting corn on the grill without removing the husks.
Rotate occasionally for about 20 mins. The outside will get brown to
black.
Then allow to cool a bit, remove the husks and enjoy. It's the
simplest and best process I've found.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 08:02:54 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Have you ever seen a professional chef at any restaurant
even the local crap diner, cook a steak in a microwave?
Can you produce a steak that tastes and looks like these in a
microwave?

http://www.on-stjohn.com/2009/05/05/...vittles-steak/

http://thesuiteworld.com/dining/mast...e-los-angeles/

You acknowledged that you don't get an outside
sear. That sear is what produces the Maillard reaction that
gives proteins a lot of their taste.

Did I say steak? No, I did not. You are being rather specific about
one of thousands of possibilities, but people do cook other cuts of
meat and other animals. While I like crispy skin on chicken, many
people toss it and just eat the inside meat. For them, proper
microwave cooking works just fine.

From your comments, I'll have to put you in the category of
those that have no idea of what food should taste like, what it
should look like and how to cook.

I've been cooking for 60+ years and can turn out restaurant quality
foods. I know all about browning and for that reason I don't own a
crockpot. But to say it is not possible to cook a good piece of meat
in a microwave just shows your lack of knowledge. You'd be amazed at
what can be done when you know how. Just because you've never seen
something does not mean it does not exist.
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://thesuiteworld.com/dining/mast...est-steak-stea...

You acknowledged that you don't get an outside
sear. *That sear is what produces the Maillard reaction that
gives proteins a lot of their taste.

Did I say steak? *No, I did not. *You are being rather specific about
one of thousands of possibilities, but people do cook other cuts of
meat and other animals. *While I like crispy skin on chicken, many
people toss it and just eat the inside meat. For them, proper
microwave cooking works just fine.

I don't know of a single chef anywhere that would cook a
chicken in a microwave either. Might as well boil it.

From your comments, I'll have to put you in the category of
those that have no idea of what food should taste like, what it
should look like and how to cook.

I've been cooking for 60+ years and can turn out restaurant quality
foods. *I know all about browning and for that reason I don't own a
crockpot.

I'd use a crockpot long before a microwave to cook
meat in. So would any chef. Braising is a recognized
and widely used method of cooking meat. Restaurants
do it. The top chefs of the world do it. They do not
however cook meat in a microwave.

*But to say it is not possible to cook a good piece of meat
in a microwave just shows your lack of knowledge. *You'd be amazed at
what can be done when you know how. Just because you've never seen
something does not mean it does not exist.

I'd say it says more about what you don't know and your
lack of cooking skills. If cooking meat in a microwave is
a fine idea, then why exactly isn't it done? Everyone just
ignorant of the new miracle invention, except you
and the folks selling microwaves? The
chefs of the world have adopted and use just about ANY
cooking technique that works and that produces top quality
food. The fact that chefs don't use microwaves to cook
meat speaks volumes. Any pro chef would laugh you
out of the kitchen if you told them you were going to cook
beef in a microwave. Or, if you have one professional chef
that agrees with you, who we would recognize, I'd love
to see the reference.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

+1

Beef is intended to be broiled, not boiled.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 12:41:23 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

I'd say it says more about what you don't know and your
lack of cooking skills. If cooking meat in a microwave is
a fine idea, then why exactly isn't it done? Everyone just
ignorant of the new miracle invention, except you
and the folks selling microwaves? The
chefs of the world have adopted and use just about ANY
cooking technique that works and that produces top quality
food. The fact that chefs don't use microwaves to cook
meat speaks volumes. Any pro chef would laugh you
out of the kitchen if you told them you were going to cook
beef in a microwave. Or, if you have one professional chef
that agrees with you, who we would recognize, I'd love
to see the reference.

Sorry about your comprehension skills.
I never said it was the best method. I never said top chefs should
adopt that method. Yes, there are better methods.

What I did say was that it can be done as an acceptable method if you
know how. You brought up steaks. I do mine on an 800 degree grill,
yet you use that as a demonstration of making gray meat. No, you
don't cook steaks in a MW.

Sorry, but I'm speaking from experience, you are speaking from a
closed mind that has never seen a decent piece of meat from a
microwave. There are valid reasons to poach chicken and fish. That
can be handled with the MW and be a bit more flavorful.

Quite a few people do bacon in the mw as it can be made crispy. I
still prefer my frying methods though.

Just because you have never seen something does not mean it does not
exist.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

From your comment, I'll have to put you in the 98% category I
mentioned.

I do baked potatoes and corn on the cob often. Works for me.

For those I use the old corningware stuff. I always add a little water like
your suppose to do. I do other frozen veggies all the time. Those don't
need water. I used to do fish and meats. Always thaw my frozen meats.

I still have my 1971 Heathkit microwave cooking book !!! I don't have the
microwave.

Wasn't till recently found out my panasonic actually has power settings,
and does not go into off on mode until you select power 3 or lower.

I finally have a plastic butter dish for cooking hot dogs. The steam gets
the whole dog.

Most commercial microwaves do not have a rotating table, but they probably
still have mixer blades that spun in the waveguide output.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

From your comment, I'll have to put you in the 98% category I
[...]

From your comments, I'll have to put you in the category of
those that have no idea of what food should taste like, what it
should look like and how to cook.

Applebees cooks their food in the microwave. Well it's already cooked. I'm
not sure if they really have a grill.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Have you ever seen a professional chef at any restaurant
even the local crap diner, cook a steak in a microwave?
Can you produce a steak that tastes and looks like these in a
microwave?

http://www.on-stjohn.com/2009/05/05/...vittles-steak/

http://thesuiteworld.com/dining/mast...est-steak-stea...

You acknowledged that you don't get an outside
sear. That sear is what produces the Maillard reaction that
gives proteins a lot of their taste.

Did I say steak? No, I did not. You are being rather specific about
one of thousands of possibilities, but people do cook other cuts of
meat and other animals. While I like crispy skin on chicken, many
people toss it and just eat the inside meat. For them, proper
microwave cooking works just fine.

I don't know of a single chef anywhere that would cook a
chicken in a microwave either. Might as well boil it.

From your comments, I'll have to put you in the category of
[...]

I had some norelco microwaves, from the 70's that had browning element and
temperature probe. I never used used them because the controller was
faulty, so I switched o a manual mechanical timer. Of course my
turbo/microwave can used either function. The turbo "convection", takes too
long to preheat and I don't use.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

The beef I put in my chicken soup, yes beef, comes out delicious. Probably
better than fast cook because of the toughness if you fried it. So tender.
Dip in brown mustard.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 01:05:07 +0000 (UTC), gregz
wrote:

Applebees cooks their food in the microwave. Well it's already cooked. I'm
not sure if they really have a grill.

Greg

Awhile back I watched a video. This is a close explanation I found,
since I have not looked for the video.

Some food have "grill marks [that] are manufactured, they are painted
on the burger or the steak or the whatever at the processing plant. (I
doubt it's actually paint, just a smoke flavoring black food
coloring). "

Fake-meat, oh my!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 17:25:26 -0500, wrote:

+1

Beef is intended to be broiled, not boiled.

And on March 17th, millions of people will be eating boiled beef. Sad,
huh.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 17:25:26 -0500, wrote:

Beef is intended to be broiled, not boiled.

Huh? Beef is intended to have its horns cut off, ass wiped and
delivered on a plate. Red meat, caveman style!

Boiled is good once a year.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

From your comment, I'll have to put you in the 98% category I
[...]

From your comments, I'll have to put you in the category of
those that have no idea of what food should taste like, what it
should look like and how to cook.

Applebees cooks their food in the microwave. Well it's already cooked. I'm
not sure if they really have a grill.

There are reasons I don't eat at Applebees. There are too many places
that serve real food to bother with those that don't.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 01:13:35 +0000 (UTC), gregz

wrote:
[...]

Fried? You really don't like meat, do you?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 22:43:59 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 17:25:26 -0500, wrote:

+1

Beef is intended to be broiled, not boiled.

And on March 17th, millions of people will be eating boiled beef. Sad,
huh.

No one said the Irish had a sense of taste. Haggis? Really?!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 20:30:11 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 23:06:44 -0500, wrote:

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 17:08:14 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 13:29:54 -0500,
wrote:

Huh? Beef is intended to have its horns cut off, ass wiped and
delivered on a plate. Red meat, caveman style!

You sound like SWMBO. As long as it's not mooing, it's perfect for
her. I prefer it at least warmed enough so the grease runs off.

My bride is just the opposite. Overdone in my view and a waste of beef
- what's for dinner!

Cow should be served charred on the outside and warm pink on the
inside. ;-)

You betcha. The pinker the better.

Pink, though, not red. The fat has to be converted.

Every tried "blackened steak"? Cajun style, fast seared in a black
cast iron skillet - don't do it in house but outside on a gas burner.

Cajun is a lot more than that, no? I love it, like that, with a ton
of black pepper.

I cook all my meats outside, best is in a smoker. A standing rib roast
makes you want to run outside, slam the door and run around the house
g.

I don't cook. When I was living by myself last year (in the process of
a move) I survived on pot pies, frozen pizza, and fish sticks. :-( I
did go home for the weekend.

When I make a smoked turkey my bride gets all giggly. Now I have to
make one every year for her Christmas party for the girls in her card
group.

I thought about buying a smoker.

http://cookeatshare.com/recipes/blackened-ribeye-steaks-42

Not fond of ribeyes. I'd much rather have a NY strip or even just a
sirloin.

I prefer Emeril's steak seasoning from the local market.

My wife buys seasonings from Williams Sonoma. It's pretty good but
they seem to get tired of carrying some stuff and have to change it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 18:12:37 -0500, wrote:

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 20:30:11 -0800, Oren wrote:

snip

Pink, though, not red. The fat has to be converted.

Every tried "blackened steak"? Cajun style, fast seared in a black
cast iron skillet - don't do it in house but outside on a gas burner.

Cajun is a lot more than that, no? I love it, like that, with a ton
of black pepper.

Spicy, yes. I use salt and pepper - just me.

I cook all my meats outside, best is in a smoker. A standing rib roast
makes you want to run outside, slam the door and run around the house
g.

I don't cook. When I was living by myself last year (in the process of
a move) I survived on pot pies, frozen pizza, and fish sticks. :-( I
did go home for the weekend.

My cooking is pretty much sequestered to the outside. If I cook in the
kitchen -- "everybody get out".

When I make a smoked turkey my bride gets all giggly. Now I have to
make one every year for her Christmas party for the girls in her card
group.

I thought about buying a smoker.

I own 4 smokers:

Newest (Nov '12 big discount price) is a Masterbuit 32" electric (new
learning curve). Made a fine prime rib roast recently.

Oldest (26 years of age) SS by MECO - cooked on it all these years,
Turkeys every year and so on. Best I've had. ( a water smoker)

Two others from Bass Pro - okay, but not what I prefer like the MECO

Temperatures outside means cooking times vary. Electric keeps it
constant.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 19:17:30 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 18:12:37 -0500, wrote:

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 20:30:11 -0800, Oren wrote:

snip

Pink, though, not red. The fat has to be converted.

Every tried "blackened steak"? Cajun style, fast seared in a black
cast iron skillet - don't do it in house but outside on a gas burner.

Cajun is a lot more than that, no? I love it, like that, with a ton
of black pepper.

Spicy, yes. I use salt and pepper - just me.

I haven't added salt to any food for over thirty years. No need.
Most is too salty already.

I cook all my meats outside, best is in a smoker. A standing rib roast
makes you want to run outside, slam the door and run around the house
g.

I don't cook. When I was living by myself last year (in the process of
a move) I survived on pot pies, frozen pizza, and fish sticks. :-( I
did go home for the weekend.

My cooking is pretty much sequestered to the outside. If I cook in the
kitchen -- "everybody get out".

I'm leaving, already! Just let me get my drink out of the 'fridge and
I'll get back to the game! sheesh!

When I make a smoked turkey my bride gets all giggly. Now I have to
make one every year for her Christmas party for the girls in her card
group.

I thought about buying a smoker.

I own 4 smokers:

Newest (Nov '12 big discount price) is a Masterbuit 32" electric (new
learning curve). Made a fine prime rib roast recently.

Oldest (26 years of age) SS by MECO - cooked on it all these years,
Turkeys every year and so on. Best I've had. ( a water smoker)

Two others from Bass Pro - okay, but not what I prefer like the MECO

Temperatures outside means cooking times vary. Electric keeps it
constant.

Microwave problems--Microwave and Refrigerator sharing neutral wire. sean_n Home Repair 4 January 28th 08 09:50 PM
Microwave problems--Microwave and Refrigerator sharing neutralwire. Wayne Whitney Home Repair 1 January 28th 08 06:01 PM
Microwave Lou Home Repair 1 February 23rd 07 04:21 AM
Low Cost USB RF & Microwave CW Power Meters. Come see us at the European Microwave Exhibition in Manchester, UK [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 August 2nd 06 02:34 PM
Samsung Microwave & GE Microwave oven Soyrunner Electronics Repair 5 March 15th 05 01:46 PM