Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GE Microwave

On Feb 18, 9:02*am, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 05:49:54 -0800 (PST), "

wrote:
Neither of those are equipped with probes for cooking by
temperature of the food.

Does anyone actually use those? *Does anyone actually use microwave
ovens for cooking?

I haven't and it would not be on my list of features. *How is
a probe even possible in most microwave ovens today?
They typically have rotating bases and wouldn't the cord
from the probe get tangled up?

We had one on a MW from some 20+ years ago. *Instead of a rotating
table, it had a reflective fan under the bottom that acted the same
way. *The probe was handy for a few uses to see the temperature or
even to set it to shut off at a predetermined temperature. *They are
more expensive to build though and few people use them.

Microwave cooking can be done very well if you use the proper
techniques. *I'd say 98% of the owners have no idea how to use one
properly, what different power settings are for, importance of waiting
time, etc.

The biggest downside is you get no crust in a MW. *Aside from that,
you actually can cook a beef roast to the doneness you desire and a
more rare interior, just like a regular oven. *You have to get past
the no outer crustiness though.

And eating a gray piece of meat. A lot of the flavor, probably
most of it, comes from the searing that you get with a
conventional method.