Posted to alt.home.repair

Default dish rack beside kitchen sink

My wife says that the disk rack that's basically plastic wrapped
around stiff metal wire is chipping off causing the metal to begin to
rust. She says that she replaces these racks like every 3 or 4
years. Any suggestions how to repair it or is there a disk rack
that won't rust and last much longer? I think she mentioned bamboo
but I prefer non-wood unless no choice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 20:27:14 -0600, Doug
wrote:

My wife says that the disk rack that's basically plastic wrapped
around stiff metal wire is chipping off causing the metal to begin to
rust. She says that she replaces these racks like every 3 or 4
years. Any suggestions how to repair it or is there a disk rack
that won't rust and last much longer? I think she mentioned bamboo
but I prefer non-wood unless no choice.

Plastic
--
"As someone who is dumb, you’re very biased." -- Gavin McInnes
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My wife says that the disk rack that's basically plastic wrapped
around stiff metal wire is chipping off causing the metal to begin to
rust. She says that she replaces these racks like every 3 or 4
years. Any suggestions how to repair it or is there a disk rack
that won't rust and last much longer? I think she mentioned bamboo
but I prefer non-wood unless no choice.

Buy her a dishwasher and eliminate the rack. Saves water and dishes
are more sanitary.

If you must, it can be fixed with a plastic material used to dip tool
handles. Just apply and let set, repeat if needed. Or buy an all
plastic one.

We've had dishwashers for the past 40 years or so and have not needed
a drying rack since. Go ahead, treat the lady.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 22:15:06 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Buy her a dishwasher and eliminate the rack. Saves water and dishes
are more sanitary.

No-no-no. She is the dishwasher. Keep the rack. I agree with your last
comment.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 31, 6:27*pm, Doug wrote:
My wife says that the disk rack that's basically plastic wrapped
around stiff metal wire is chipping off causing the metal to begin to
rust. * She says that she replaces these racks like every 3 or 4
years. * *Any suggestions how to repair it or is there a disk rack
that won't rust and last much longer? * I think she mentioned bamboo
but I prefer non-wood unless no choice.

The cost of whatever to "fix it" is probably about the same as a new
one. They are not a "bank buster" purchase.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My wife says that the disk rack that's basically plastic wrapped
around stiff metal wire is chipping off causing the metal to begin to
rust. She says that she replaces these racks like every 3 or 4
years. Any suggestions how to repair it or is there a disk rack
that won't rust and last much longer? I think she mentioned bamboo
but I prefer non-wood unless no choice.

Buy her a dishwasher and eliminate the rack. Saves water and dishes
are more sanitary.

You still need a dish rack, there will always be hand was items and
other things that need a rack to rest on and dry.

If you must, it can be fixed with a plastic material used to dip tool
handles. Just apply and let set, repeat if needed. Or buy an all
plastic one.

Replacing a rack every 3-4 years is what, $2.50 per year? There are
stainless racks available for a bit more $.

We've had dishwashers for the past 40 years or so and have not needed
a drying rack since. Go ahead, treat the lady.

I can't imagine how you wouldn't. I certainly need one even with a
dishwasher.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I have dishwasher and use a mat or a dish towel next to the sink for
hand-wash items. Only two of us here, so not a lot of dishwashing, and
prior to having a dishwasher I had learned to pile record amounts of
dishes in the rack ) I had never liked dishwashers until moving to
our new place...soft water, nice dishwasher, spotless dishes. It had
always seemed that loading/unloading dw was more work than it was worth.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Norminn wrote:

wrote:

[...]

It may be more work than t's worth, but as long you do full loads and don't
rinse them clean before using the dishwasher, you save lots of water using
a DW vs. handwashing..
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My wife says that the disk rack that's basically plastic wrapped
around stiff metal wire is chipping off causing the metal to begin to
rust. She says that she replaces these racks like every 3 or 4
years. Any suggestions how to repair it or is there a disk rack
that won't rust and last much longer? I think she mentioned bamboo
but I prefer non-wood unless no choice.

Buy her a dishwasher and eliminate the rack. Saves water and dishes
are more sanitary.

You still need a dish rack, there will always be hand was items and
other things that need a rack to rest on and dry.

I tossed mine 20 years ago and never missed it.

If you must, it can be fixed with a plastic material used to dip tool
handles. Just apply and let set, repeat if needed. Or buy an all
plastic one.

Replacing a rack every 3-4 years is what, $2.50 per year? There are
stainless racks available for a bit more $.

Really-- C'mon Doug, talk about your false economy.

We've had dishwashers for the past 40 years or so and have not needed
a drying rack since. Go ahead, treat the lady.

I can't imagine how you wouldn't. I certainly need one even with a
dishwasher.

I've had a dishwasher and tossed my rack--- then lived without a
dishwasher and had a rack-- then got a dishwasher and tossed it again.
I can't imagine what you need it for. But if you like it- good for
you.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 1 Feb 2013 11:49:45 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

-snip-

It may be more work than t's worth, but as long you do full loads and don't
rinse them clean before using the dishwasher, you save lots of water using
a DW vs. handwashing..

I would say *especially* with the new models with an 'eco' mode. My
new 'middle-of-the-line' Whirlpool has a 'sensor' mode. that quits
washing when the dishes are clean.

It does a better job in 1/2 the time of the old one. [also a
whirlpool- from the 80s]

I'm assuming it uses a lot less water- but I never measured either
one. I *know* the old one used less than I did when I was doing them
by hand-- and it did a better job than I did from the first day I wore
glasses.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug wrote in
:

My wife says that the disk rack that's basically plastic wrapped
around stiff metal wire is chipping off causing the metal to begin to
rust. She says that she replaces these racks like every 3 or 4
years. Any suggestions how to repair it or is there a disk rack
that won't rust and last much longer? I think she mentioned bamboo
but I prefer non-wood unless no choice.

Stainless steel.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/3/stainless-steel-dish-racks

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 1 Feb 2013 12:19:34 +0000 (UTC), Tegger
wrote:

Doug wrote in
:

My wife says that the disk rack that's basically plastic wrapped
around stiff metal wire is chipping off causing the metal to begin to
rust. She says that she replaces these racks like every 3 or 4
years. Any suggestions how to repair it or is there a disk rack
that won't rust and last much longer? I think she mentioned bamboo
but I prefer non-wood unless no choice.

Stainless steel.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/3/stainless-steel-dish-racks

Probably go this route because the wife likes a dish rack. I agree
with some, that it's a bit of an eye sore and may waste water when
compared to a "new" dishwasher but life is better if I make the wife
happy. Most of the time we hand wash dishes for just 2 people and
just use the dishwasher for company or just to give it a run. That
may explain why at 15 yrs old, it still runs fine.

Thanks to all for the help / replies !!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/1/2013 8:24 AM, Doug wrote:
On Fri, 1 Feb 2013 12:19:34 +0000 (UTC), Tegger
wrote:

Doug wrote in
:

[...]

If you intend to place glassware or any other items that can chip or
break easily into the rack, I wonder if stainless steel is a convenient
choice. Seems you would need to be very slow and gentle both when
damage/destruction of fragile items. Plastic is less expensive, lighter
in weight, less likely to damage your fragile items, and less likely to
scratch the counter top.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/1/2013 6:49 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Norminn wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Back in the day, I had a lot more water than I had time ) If there
were dirty dishes, it meant I got home from work and cooked a meal.
Probably sat down to read the paper, did a few loads of laundry, got
back in the car a time or two to run kids to activities, policed
homework, etc. Might have worked overtime, too.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 1/31/2013 8:27 PM, Doug wrote:
My wife says that the disk rack that's basically plastic wrapped
around stiff metal wire is chipping off causing the metal to begin to
rust. She says that she replaces these racks like every 3 or 4
years. Any suggestions how to repair it or is there a disk rack
that won't rust and last much longer? I think she mentioned bamboo
but I prefer non-wood unless no choice.

Well, the alternatives of plastic and/or SS given, I'll throw out I just
used a paint-on "dishwasher rack repair" coating on the joints of the
(very) old DW rack and it seems to be holding up after a week or so
since. If it'll stand the DW cycle for a while, surely it would handle
the hand rack almost indefinitely I'd think.

I couldn't find it locally (this is a small market locale so that wasn't
surprising) but Ace Hdwe has it on the web site and will ship to a local
store for no charge. It was about $8 iirc -- of course for an
inexpensive counter rack that may be a wash (so to speak ); for a
$100+ replacement DW rack it seems worth a go...

BTW, the instructions say to remove rust to bare metal before recoating;
being's as that's essentially impossible in a welded joint area as is
where the rust generally starts I instead removed any loose rust, etc.,
cleaned w/ acetone to remove any grease and used a paint-on cold
galvanizing treatment first to stabilize the rust.

I didn't try it since it was for the DW but I'd also think one of the
tool handle dip or paint-on plastic coating products would work just
fine as a repair, too...

(This is a.h._r_ after all... )

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug wrote:

Probably go this route because the wife likes a dish rack. I agree
with some, that it's a bit of an eye sore and may waste water when
compared to a "new" dishwasher but life is better if I make the wife
happy.

If she's happy and you're not, you're still happier than if you were happy
and she wasn't.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 31, 8:27*pm, Doug wrote:
My wife says that the disk rack that's basically plastic wrapped
around stiff metal wire is chipping off causing the metal to begin to
rust. * She says that she replaces these racks like every 3 or 4
years. * *Any suggestions how to repair it or is there a disk rack
that won't rust and last much longer? * I think she mentioned bamboo
but I prefer non-wood unless no choice.

We use a plastic rack - several years old now as well as a 5 yr old
dishwasher. My wife puts the rack in the dishwasher every couple of
months to clean the rack. Our big problem is rust on the lower level
rack in the dishwasher. I keep looking for old thrown-out
dishwashers, but no luck yet. May have to buy one (shudder).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 1 Feb 2013 10:24:53 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Doug wrote:

Probably go this route because the wife likes a dish rack. I agree
with some, that it's a bit of an eye sore and may waste water when
compared to a "new" dishwasher but life is better if I make the wife
happy.

If she's happy and you're not, you're still happier than if you were happy
and she wasn't.

AMEN TO THAT !!! I can tell you speak from experience and know
exactly how I think grin.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Doug wrote:

Probably go this route because the wife likes a dish rack. I agree
with some, that it's a bit of an eye sore and may waste water when
compared to a "new" dishwasher but life is better if I make the wife
happy.

If she's happy and you're not, you're still happier than if you were
happy and she wasn't.

AMEN TO THAT !!! I can tell you speak from experience and know
exactly how I think grin.

We men often CAN be "civilized".

I once heard a speaker say: "Let me answer the question always asked by the
women in the audience: 'Why are all the good men married?' The answer is
simple. It's marriage that makes them good. In looking for a husband, your
best choice, believe it or not, is a man who has been married before. He's
already half-trained."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/31/2013 09:27 PM, Doug wrote:
My wife says that the disk rack that's basically plastic wrapped
around stiff metal wire is chipping off causing the metal to begin to
rust. She says that she replaces these racks like every 3 or 4
years. Any suggestions how to repair it or is there a disk rack
that won't rust and last much longer? I think she mentioned bamboo
but I prefer non-wood unless no choice.

The only way that's not going to happen is to find one made of stainless
steel. I can't recommend a specific product/source, however.
Otherwise, wood it is.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 1, 8:29*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
On 01/31/2013 09:27 PM, Doug wrote:

My wife says that the disk rack that's basically plastic wrapped
around stiff metal wire is chipping off causing the metal to begin to
rust. * She says that she replaces these racks like every 3 or 4
years. * *Any suggestions how to repair it or is there a disk rack
that won't rust and last much longer? * I think she mentioned bamboo
but I prefer non-wood unless no choice.

The only way that's not going to happen is to find one made of stainless
steel. *I can't recommend a specific product/source, however.
Otherwise, wood it is.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

there are 100% plastic racks..... no metal no rust
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/31/2013 9:27 PM, Doug wrote:
My wife says that the disk rack that's basically plastic wrapped
around stiff metal wire is chipping off causing the metal to begin to
rust. She says that she replaces these racks like every 3 or 4
years. Any suggestions how to repair it or is there a disk rack
that won't rust and last much longer? I think she mentioned bamboo
but I prefer non-wood unless no choice.

Plastic?
Search on Amazon (etc) for "plastic dish rack". There are some
interesting looking ones - folding, collapsible, over the sink etc. I
have had one of the folding ones for years, but rarely use it.

I found racks on a number of sites, but Amazon lists a bunch in one spot
to compare.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 1 Feb 2013 17:16:33 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

AMEN TO THAT !!! I can tell you speak from experience and know
exactly how I think grin.

We men often CAN be "civilized".

I once heard a speaker say: "Let me answer the question always asked by the
women in the audience: 'Why are all the good men married?' The answer is
simple. It's marriage that makes them good. In looking for a husband, your
best choice, believe it or not, is a man who has been married before. He's
already half-trained."

Psst. After a coffee break, he needs to be retrained. DAMHIKT

ducking the flying rolling pin
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 01 Feb 2013 20:29:36 -0500, Nate Nagel
wrote:

On 01/31/2013 09:27 PM, Doug wrote:
My wife says that the disk rack that's basically plastic wrapped
around stiff metal wire is chipping off causing the metal to begin to
rust. She says that she replaces these racks like every 3 or 4
years. Any suggestions how to repair it or is there a disk rack
that won't rust and last much longer? I think she mentioned bamboo
but I prefer non-wood unless no choice.

The only way that's not going to happen is to find one made of stainless
steel. I can't recommend a specific product/source, however.
Otherwise, wood it is.

Stainless would tend to scratch the sink; not a good idea. My vote is
for plastic, if you insist on having an ugly rack.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/31/2013 9:27 PM, Doug wrote:
My wife says that the disk rack that's basically plastic wrapped
around stiff metal wire is chipping off causing the metal to begin to
rust. She says that she replaces these racks like every 3 or 4
years. Any suggestions how to repair it or is there a disk rack
that won't rust and last much longer? I think she mentioned bamboo
but I prefer non-wood unless no choice.

Here is a good one.

We have a dishwasher yet the wife just purchased a new set of non-stick
pots & pans that she insists can't be cleaned in the dishwasher but must
be hand washed instead?

Why I have no clue?

John
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/2/2013 4:28 AM, John wrote:
On 1/31/2013 9:27 PM, Doug wrote:
My wife says that the disk rack that's basically plastic wrapped
around stiff metal wire is chipping off causing the metal to begin to
rust. She says that she replaces these racks like every 3 or 4
years. Any suggestions how to repair it or is there a disk rack
that won't rust and last much longer? I think she mentioned bamboo
but I prefer non-wood unless no choice.

I bought a plain metal rack about 4 yrs ago, and it rusted. I'm sure it
was supposed to be stainless. If I had wanted to keep it, I'd be
inclined to try some Rustoleum rusty metal primer and enamel.

Here is a good one.

We have a dishwasher yet the wife just purchased a new set of non-stick
pots & pans that she insists can't be cleaned in the dishwasher but must
be hand washed instead?

Why I have no clue?

John

Well, it's hard to find any household product not made in China, which
means it's sub-standard quality. I was a big fan of anodized alum.
cookware for a long time, but Calphalon's recent products are crap.
Bought some stainless, of several different brands, and it is crap.
Can't put the 3 ply in dw, and the stainless gets little black pitted
spots (apparently from salt added to cooking water).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02-01-2013 03:49, Pete C. wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Buy her a dishwasher and eliminate the rack. Saves water and dishes
are more sanitary.

I doubt it. My dishwasher takes a little over 1200 cubic inches of
water four to six times. (And takes how long?) And it heats the water
for washing and the air for drying with a very large heating element.

My sink takes a little under 1200 in³ twice. (and finishes much faster)
And the water is heated with gas.

On top of that, _some_ "dishwashers" are only for rinsing. You have to
pre-soak and or scrub everything first.

You still need a dish rack, there will always be hand was items and
other things that need a rack to rest on and dry.

I used dishwasher for several years and never needed a rack.
The two or three no-dishwasher items were washed, shaken off, and
set on a paper towel.

--
Wes Groleau

After the christening of his baby brother in church, Jason sobbed
all the way home in the back seat of the car. His father asked him
three times what was wrong. Finally, the boy replied, €œThat preacher
said he wanted us brought up in a Christian home, and I wanted to
stay with you guys."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02-01-2013 10:01, Peter wrote:
If you intend to place glassware or any other items that can chip or
break easily into the rack, I wonder if stainless steel is a convenient
choice. Seems you would need to be very slow and gentle both when
damage/destruction of fragile items. Plastic is less expensive, lighter
in weight, less likely to damage your fragile items, and less likely to
scratch the counter top.

Not even my glassware is _that_ fragile.

You hired Ricochet Rabbit to do your dishes?

--
Wes Groleau

After the christening of his baby brother in church, Jason sobbed
all the way home in the back seat of the car. His father asked him
three times what was wrong. Finally, the boy replied, €œThat preacher
said he wanted us brought up in a Christian home, and I wanted to
stay with you guys."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02-01-2013 18:16, HeyBub wrote:
I once heard a speaker say: "Let me answer the question always asked by the
women in the audience: 'Why are all the good men married?' The answer is
simple. It's marriage that makes them good. In looking for a husband, your
best choice, believe it or not, is a man who has been married before. He's
already half-trained."

What are your odds for ech of the following?

1. He's a widower.

2. He'll treat you the same way he treated the one
who couldn't tolerate it and left.

3. He couldn't tolerate her but he was too stupid
to see what he was getting into.

4. He couldn't tolerate her because he's impossible to please.

The only one of those you want is the first and I'm not available.
I still miss her too much.

The real reason "all the good men" are married (besides being an extreme
exaggeration) is that the bad ones don't marry or don't stay married
(equally exaggerated).

--
Wes Groleau

After the christening of his baby brother in church, Jason sobbed
all the way home in the back seat of the car. His father asked him
three times what was wrong. Finally, the boy replied, €œThat preacher
said he wanted us brought up in a Christian home, and I wanted to
stay with you guys."

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Buy her a dishwasher and eliminate the rack. Saves water and dishes
are more sanitary.

I doubt it. My dishwasher takes a little over 1200 cubic inches of
water four to six times. (And takes how long?) And it heats the water
for washing and the air for drying with a very large heating element.

You've measured the water consumption (interesting units)? The
heating element is used only to "top off" the water temperature and
aid drying time. It's use is optional on most washers.

My sink takes a little under 1200 in³ twice. (and finishes much faster)
And the water is heated with gas.

Your DW is connected to the cold water?

On top of that, _some_ "dishwashers" are only for rinsing. You have to
pre-soak and or scrub everything first.

Utter nonsense. You just lost any (little) credibility you had.

You still need a dish rack, there will always be hand was items and
other things that need a rack to rest on and dry.

I used dishwasher for several years and never needed a rack.
The two or three no-dishwasher items were washed, shaken off, and
set on a paper towel.

Paper towel?! You environmental terrorist, you!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 02 Feb 2013 04:28:04 -0500, John wrote:

On 1/31/2013 9:27 PM, Doug wrote:
My wife says that the disk rack that's basically plastic wrapped
around stiff metal wire is chipping off causing the metal to begin to
rust. She says that she replaces these racks like every 3 or 4
years. Any suggestions how to repair it or is there a disk rack
that won't rust and last much longer? I think she mentioned bamboo
but I prefer non-wood unless no choice.

Here is a good one.

We have a dishwasher yet the wife just purchased a new set of non-stick
pots & pans that she insists can't be cleaned in the dishwasher but must
be hand washed instead?

Why I have no clue?

John

Come on John, you know why. It's because your wife said so and if you
want peace in the family, you listen. Been there and done that.
Women are more powerful than they look especially when you are married
to them. I think they get women101 classes before they get married.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 02 Feb 2013 06:29:59 -0500, Norminn
wrote:

On 2/2/2013 4:28 AM, John wrote:
On 1/31/2013 9:27 PM, Doug wrote:
[...]

I used to buy every 5 years or so new teflon fry pans ....both cheap
and expensive ones and no matter how I cared for it, the teflon wore
off. More important, I kept hearing how the stuff was toxic and I
figured as I was getting older, maybe I should pay attention to this.
I have since bought 2 good metal fry pans (non-teflon) because I
figure I can add oil when needed and I don't have to worry about any
toxic stuff being eaten. I don't know for sure about the toxic part
but I figure these fry pans will last my lifetime so I won't have to
spend on new fry pans every 5 years or so.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/2/2013 4:28 AM, John wrote:
On 1/31/2013 9:27 PM, Doug wrote:
[...]

You are dumb enough to believe that rot.

I have since bought 2 good metal fry pans (non-teflon) because I
figure I can add oil when needed and I don't have to worry about any
toxic stuff being eaten. I don't know for sure about the toxic part
but I figure these fry pans will last my lifetime so I won't have to
spend on new fry pans every 5 years or so.

It figures that you'd buy plastic fry pans. But you did finally learn
that fry pans should be made of (some) metal. Stainless is good. You
should try it next time.

You continue to prove that you're a real dumbass, Dumbie.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02-02-2013 13:46, wrote:
wrote:

???? wrote:
Buy her a dishwasher and eliminate the rack. Saves water and dishes
are more sanitary.

I doubt it. My dishwasher takes a little over 1200 cubic inches of
water four to six times. (And takes how long?) And it heats the water
for washing and the air for drying with a very large heating element.

You've measured the water consumption (interesting units)? The

Measured the dimensions. Sink would be 1200 if the corners weren't
rounded. DW would be 1200 if it were three inches deep, but I'm pretty
sure it's deeper. Point is that it uses more water, not less.

heating element is used only to "top off" the water temperature and
aid drying time. It's use is optional on most washers.

Yes, but I prefer germ-killing temperatures (even though the soap
probably is adequate).

My sink takes a little under 1200 in³ twice. (and finishes much faster)
And the water is heated with gas.

Your DW is connected to the cold water?

Not sure.

On top of that, _some_ "dishwashers" are only for rinsing. You have to
pre-soak and or scrub everything first.

Utter nonsense. You just lost any (little) credibility you had.

If you have never had a "dishwasher" incapable of making dishes clean,
good for you. If I had known what a useless thing it was going to be, I
would not have allowed the builder to put it in. I have seen others
like it, too. And there are enough of them around for advertisers to
believe that making reference to them will "strike a chord"

The one I have now, however, actually does work.

You still need a dish rack, there will always be hand was items and
other things that need a rack to rest on and dry.

I used dishwasher for several years and never needed a rack.
The two or three no-dishwasher items were washed, shaken off, and
set on a paper towel.

Paper towel?! You environmental terrorist, you!

Not only do I use five or six a year that way, I wipe up spills with
them occasionally. Sue me/

--
Wes Groleau

After the christening of his baby brother in church, Jason sobbed
all the way home in the back seat of the car. His father asked him
three times what was wrong. Finally, the boy replied, €œThat preacher
said he wanted us brought up in a Christian home, and I wanted to
stay with you guys."

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/2/2013 4:28 AM, John wrote:
On 1/31/2013 9:27 PM, Doug wrote:
[...]

Hope you aren't OD'g on your meds... sounds like it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 02 Feb 2013 16:34:54 -0500, Wes Groleau
wrote:

On 02-02-2013 13:46, wrote:
wrote:

???? wrote:
Buy her a dishwasher and eliminate the rack. Saves water and dishes
are more sanitary.

I doubt it. My dishwasher takes a little over 1200 cubic inches of
water four to six times. (And takes how long?) And it heats the water
for washing and the air for drying with a very large heating element.

You've measured the water consumption (interesting units)? The

Measured the dimensions. Sink would be 1200 if the corners weren't
rounded. DW would be 1200 if it were three inches deep, but I'm pretty
sure it's deeper. Point is that it uses more water, not less.

You're wrong.

heating element is used only to "top off" the water temperature and
aid drying time. It's use is optional on most washers.

Yes, but I prefer germ-killing temperatures (even though the soap
probably is adequate).

Yet you recommend washing by hand. Amazing.

My sink takes a little under 1200 in³ twice. (and finishes much faster)
And the water is heated with gas.

Your DW is connected to the cold water?

Not sure.

The point being that the DW's water is heated to the same temperature
by the same gas. That's a wash (so to speak).

On top of that, _some_ "dishwashers" are only for rinsing. You have to
pre-soak and or scrub everything first.

Utter nonsense. You just lost any (little) credibility you had.

If you have never had a "dishwasher" incapable of making dishes clean,
good for you. If I had known what a useless thing it was going to be, I
would not have allowed the builder to put it in. I have seen others
like it, too. And there are enough of them around for advertisers to
believe that making reference to them will "strike a chord"

Whether or not they work well enough for you, is irrelevant. You said
that "_some_ dishwashers are only for rinsing" is unadulterated
bull****. Please show me where a manufacturer claims that their
models "are only for rinsing". BTW, don't blame the washer. Blame
your water and the soap you're using.

The one I have now, however, actually does work.

Wow! I'm amazed! (not really. They all do, some better than others,
though)

You still need a dish rack, there will always be hand was items and
other things that need a rack to rest on and dry.

I used dishwasher for several years and never needed a rack.
The two or three no-dishwasher items were washed, shaken off, and
set on a paper towel.

Paper towel?! You environmental terrorist, you!

Not only do I use five or six a year that way, I wipe up spills with
them occasionally. Sue me/

You use a paper towel for two months? Why don't I believe that? We
have a pad beside the sink, made for the purpose.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/2/2013 4:28 AM, John wrote:
On 1/31/2013 9:27 PM, Doug wrote:
[...]

The one for whom there is no hope is hoping? Impossible.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 02-02-2013 13:46, wrote:
wrote:

???? wrote:
[...]

What I've learned over the years of using my dishwashers, is that if I
don't rinse the dishes manually before putting them into the
dishwasher, over time the food particles collect at the bottom and
eventually foul up the water pump and result in a repair. I don't
know if this is true of all brands or more recent dishwashers.

BTW, my wife did buy the Simplehuman stainless steel dish rack today
which appears to be better made than the old one plastic/metal one we
had. Of course the price was a lot greater than what we spent in the
past for the other racks. I guess in time, we'll see which is better.
On the box, it has a 5 year warrantee FWIW.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 02 Feb 2013 17:51:56 -0600, Doug
wrote:

BTW, my wife did buy the Simplehuman stainless steel dish rack today
which appears to be better made than the old one plastic/metal one we
had. Of course the price was a lot greater than what we spent in the
past for the other racks. I guess in time, we'll see which is better.
On the box, it has a 5 year warrantee FWIW.

Does a magnet stick to it?
--
"Dodgeball in Burkas" -- Greg Gutfeld