Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Paint - How Much to Buy

I need to paint my great room - hall - and dinette. Its all painted the same color. I measured (three walls have those tall vaulted ceilings) -- but as best I can tell - the area measures 1441 sq.ft. I have thrown away the sales slips for the paint we bought - years ago - and I have no idea how many gallons. It will be flat paint, as close to the original color as possible. Hopefully, one coat will cover it. How many gallons do I need? My late husband always bought the paint - well, I bought it, but he told me how many gallons to buy. Any help would be appreciated. Will probably shop at Home Depot or Lowes. Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/25/2013 12:42 PM, Dottie wrote:
I need to paint my great room - hall - and dinette. Its all painted the same color. I measured (three walls have those tall vaulted ceilings) -- but as best I can tell - the area measures 1441 sq.ft. I have thrown away the sales slips for the paint we bought - years ago - and I have no idea how many gallons. It will be flat paint, as close to the original color as possible. Hopefully, one coat will cover it. How many gallons do I need? My late husband always bought the paint - well, I bought it, but he told me how many gallons to buy. Any help would be appreciated. Will probably shop at Home Depot or Lowes. Thanks.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...nt-to-buy.html

Says ~4 gal.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 13:00:49 -0500, Frank
wrote:

On 1/25/2013 12:42 PM, Dottie wrote:
I need to paint my great room - hall - and dinette. Its all painted the same color. I measured (three walls have those tall vaulted ceilings) -- but as best I can tell - the area measures 1441 sq.ft. I have thrown away the sales slips for the paint we bought - years ago - and I have no idea how many gallons. It will be flat paint, as close to the original color as possible. Hopefully, one coat will cover it. How many gallons do I need? My late husband always bought the paint - well, I bought it, but he told me how many gallons to buy. Any help would be appreciated. Will probably shop at Home Depot or Lowes. Thanks.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...nt-to-buy.html

Says ~4 gal.

I just scanned the reference but didn't see any accountability for how
it's painted.... roller, brush or spray. They use different amounts.
Perhaps they assume the worst case scenario??
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 09:42:02 -0800 (PST), Dottie
wrote:

I need to paint my great room - hall - and dinette. Its all painted the same color. I measured (three walls have those tall vaulted ceilings) -- but as best I can tell - the area measures 1441 sq.ft. I have thrown away the sales slips for the paint we bought - years ago - and I have no idea how many gallons. It will be flat paint, as close to the original color as possible. Hopefully, one coat will cover it. How many gallons do I need? My late husband always bought the paint - well, I bought it, but he told me how many gallons to buy. Any help would be appreciated. Will probably shop at Home Depot or Lowes. Thanks.

Usually the paint can will tell you but surely the paint store will
and give more tips to boot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dottie wrote in
:

I need to paint my great room - hall - and dinette. Its all painted
the same color. I measured (three walls have those tall vaulted
ceilings) -- but as best I can tell - the area measures 1441 sq.ft. I
have thrown away the sales slips for the paint we bought - years ago -
and I have no idea how many gallons. It will be flat paint, as close
to the original color as possible. Hopefully, one coat will cover it.
How many gallons do I need? My late husband always bought the paint
- well, I bought it, but he told me how many gallons to buy. Any help
would be appreciated. Will probably shop at Home Depot or Lowes.
Thanks.

I'll toss in some how to vs how much.

Once you figure what you need you can get a gallon less. When you need
another gallon, stop when you're down to a half gallon or so AND at the end
of a wall/section. Get another gallon. "Box" half the new gallon into the
existing can to fill it. As it's used, add more of the last can purchased.
Repeat if necessary.

Actually, all of the paint should be boxed if you do it like the pros.

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/f...e/boxing-paint

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dottie wrote:
I need to paint my great room - hall - and dinette. Its all painted
the same color. I measured (three walls have those tall vaulted
ceilings) -- but as best I can tell - the area measures 1441 sq.ft.
I have thrown away the sales slips for the paint we bought - years
ago - and I have no idea how many gallons. It will be flat paint, as
close to the original color as possible. Hopefully, one coat will
cover it. How many gallons do I need? My late husband always bought
the paint - well, I bought it, but he told me how many gallons to
buy. Any help would be appreciated. Will probably shop at Home
Depot or Lowes. Thanks.

As someone said, you will need about 4 gallons +- depending on how it is
applied. You might want to check the price for a 5 gallon bucket, may be
less than 4 - 1 gallon cans. Plus, it will be tinted all in one go rather
than individual cans.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday 25 January 2013 17:42 Dottie wrote in alt.home.repair:

I need to paint my great room - hall - and dinette. Its all painted the
same color. I measured (three walls have those tall vaulted ceilings) --
but as best I can tell - the area measures 1441 sq.ft. I have thrown away
the sales slips for the paint we bought - years ago - and I have no idea
how many gallons. It will be flat paint, as close to the original color
as possible. Hopefully, one coat will cover it. How many gallons do I
need? My late husband always bought the paint - well, I bought it, but he
told me how many gallons to buy. Any help would be appreciated. Will
probably shop at Home Depot or Lowes. Thanks.

You will need twice as much as the coverage figures on the can claim! :-|

And that's assuming good paint...

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dottie wrote in
:

I need to paint my great room - hall - and dinette. Its all
painted the same color. I measured (three walls have those tall
vaulted ceilings) -- but as best I can tell - the area measures
1441 sq.ft. I have thrown away the sales slips for the paint we
bought - years ago - and I have no idea how many gallons. It
will be flat paint, as close to the original color as possible.
Hopefully, one coat will cover it. How many gallons do I need?

For one coat, four gallons; for two coats, maybe seven but probably eight. Figure between 300
and 400 square feet per gallon, depending on method of application, type of surface, etc. For
a previously painted wal, probably closer to 400 than 300.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dottie wrote:

I need to paint my great room - hall - and dinette. Its all painted the same color.
I measured (three walls have those tall vaulted ceilings) -- but as best I can tell -
the area measures 1441 sq.ft. I have thrown away the sales slips for the paint
we bought - years ago - and I have no idea how many gallons. It will be flat paint,
as close to the original color as possible. Hopefully, one coat will cover it. How many
gallons do I need? My late husband always bought the paint - well, I bought it, but he
told me how many gallons to buy. Any help would be appreciated. Will probably shop
at Home Depot or Lowes. Thanks.

Go to your local True Value-- or a paint store.

Ask for the price on a 5 gallon pail of their *best* paint.

Save yourself a lot of aggravation.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tim Watts wrote in :

On Friday 25 January 2013 17:42 Dottie wrote in alt.home.repair:

[how much paint to buy?]

You will need twice as much as the coverage figures on the can claim! :-|

Nonsense.

And that's assuming good paint...

Doubly nonsense. Twice as much with *crap* paint, sure. For good paint, the label is pretty
close, although coverage is usually closer to the low end of the range.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

wrote:
On 1/25/2013 12:42 PM, Dottie wrote:
I need to paint ... as best I can tell - ... 1441 sq.ft. ... How
many gallons do I need?...

Says ~4 gal.

I just scanned the reference but didn't see any accountability for how
it's painted.... roller, brush or spray. They use different amounts.
Perhaps they assume the worst case scenario??

I didn't even look at the reference but that's 350 ft^2/gal if her
measurements are even close to accurate.

It'll take 5 min. to be comfortable...

OP: Remember to mix it together before starting to eliminate any
variations...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 14:54:28 -0500, "dadiOH"
wrote:

As someone said, you will need about 4 gallons +- depending on how it is
applied. You might want to check the price for a 5 gallon bucket, may be
less than 4 - 1 gallon cans. Plus, it will be tinted all in one go rather
than individual cans.

+1

I would add that even if the 5 gallon bucket is shaken at the store,
still take time to stir / mix it on the job. I use a drill and paddle
to mix it at home. I notice just being shaken really does not mix the
paint completely. I have ask the associate to double shake the
buckets, before.

Saved about $5.00 per gallon by getting one 5 gallon container.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/25/2013 12:42 PM, Dottie wrote:
I need to paint my great room - hall - and dinette. Its all painted the same color. I measured (three walls have those tall vaulted ceilings) -- but as best I can tell - the area measures 1441 sq.ft. I have thrown away the sales slips for the paint we bought - years ago - and I have no idea how many gallons. It will be flat paint, as close to the original color as possible. Hopefully, one coat will cover it. How many gallons do I need? My late husband always bought the paint - well, I bought it, but he told me how many gallons to buy. Any help would be appreciated. Will probably shop at Home Depot or Lowes. Thanks.

I'm a little puzzled by your description of the rooms, but assume the
sq. ft. number is WALL area, not floor area. The area taken up by
windows and doorways should be factored into the area to be covered, as
should the roughness (more) or smoothness of the surface. Assume
similar colors, not very deep or dark? I have never been able to get
the coverage stated on the can, so one's technique matters, too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday 25 January 2013 20:17 Doug Miller wrote in alt.home.repair:

Tim Watts wrote in
:

On Friday 25 January 2013 17:42 Dottie wrote in alt.home.repair:

[how much paint to buy?]

You will need twice as much as the coverage figures on the can claim! :-|

Nonsense.

Not at all - it has been my experience that the coverage figures need
halving (approximately) on nearly every paint I have every applied.

This is not because it is crap and needs 2 coats - this is beacuse I don't
roll it out to atoms thick like the manufacturer assumes.

And that's assuming good paint...

Doubly nonsense. Twice as much with *crap* paint, sure. For good paint,
the label is pretty close, although coverage is usually closer to the low
end of the range.

No - 5 times as much with crap paint, because you'll need to double the
number of coats as well!

Example:

Dulux Paint - a very good UK consumer[1] brand - the coverage abilities are
excellent - 1 coa over a similar colour of existing paint, 2 coats over
anythign else, including new plaster (OK, there is a "mist" coat as well,
but that's a given).

Dulux "Once" - surprisingly it usually does actually cover in one coat with
a change of colour. However, even this, the coverage figures on the can
leave a *lot* to be desired...

[1] which means it's more forgiving of mishandling, but also because it
happens to be easy to buy, being popular

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On 1/25/2013 12:42 PM, Dottie wrote:
I need to paint ... as best I can tell - ... 1441 sq.ft. ... How
many gallons do I need?...

Says ~4 gal.

I just scanned the reference but didn't see any accountability for how
it's painted.... roller, brush or spray. They use different amounts.
Perhaps they assume the worst case scenario??

I didn't even look at the reference but that's 350 ft^2/gal if her
measurements are even close to accurate.

It'll take 5 min. to be comfortable...

OP: Remember to mix it together before starting to eliminate any
variations...

--

Probably cheaper to get a 5 gallon pail vs 4 single gallons. Just to be safe
and no boxing " mixing between gallons" required.

Of course its a little harder to haul around.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/25/2013 3:52 PM, Tim Watts wrote:
On Friday 25 January 2013 20:17 Doug Miller wrote in alt.home.repair:

Tim Watts wrote in
:

On Friday 25 January 2013 17:42 Dottie wrote in alt.home.repair:

[how much paint to buy?]

You will need twice as much as the coverage figures on the can claim! :-|

Nonsense.

Not at all - it has been my experience that the coverage figures need
halving (approximately) on nearly every paint I have every applied.

That is pretty much what my experience has been, and I tend to roll it
quite thin.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, January 25, 2013 12:42:02 PM UTC-5, Dottie wrote:
I need to paint my great room - hall - and dinette. Its all painted the same color. I measured (three walls have those tall vaulted ceilings) -- but as best I can tell - the area measures 1441 sq.ft. I have thrown away the sales slips for the paint we bought - years ago - and I have no idea how many gallons. It will be flat paint, as close to the original color as possible. Hopefully, one coat will cover it. How many gallons do I need? My late husband always bought the paint - well, I bought it, but he told me how many gallons to buy. Any help would be appreciated. Will probably shop at Home Depot or Lowes. Thanks.

We will be rolling the paint on. If we can paint this area without doing major physical damage to my back -- the other rooms are painted in the same color so I can always use any left over to do them. Thanks for your help. Just need to be sure we measured right.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On 1/25/2013 12:42 PM, Dottie wrote:
I need to paint ... as best I can tell - ... 1441 sq.ft. ... How
many gallons do I need?...

Says ~4 gal.

I just scanned the reference but didn't see any accountability for how
it's painted.... roller, brush or spray. They use different amounts.
Perhaps they assume the worst case scenario??

I didn't even look at the reference but that's 350 ft^2/gal if her
measurements are even close to accurate.

It'll take 5 min. to be comfortable...

OP: Remember to mix it together before starting to eliminate any
variations...

--

Probably cheaper to get a 5 gallon pail vs 4 single gallons. Just to be safe
and no boxing " mixing between gallons" required.

Of course its a little harder to haul around.

I agree plus you have plenty of touch up paint then.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 20:17:38 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

Tim Watts wrote in :

On Friday 25 January 2013 17:42 Dottie wrote in alt.home.repair:

[how much paint to buy?]

You will need twice as much as the coverage figures on the can claim! :-|

Nonsense.

And that's assuming good paint...

Doubly nonsense. Twice as much with *crap* paint, sure. For good paint, the label is pretty
close, although coverage is usually closer to the low end of the range.

I usually come in right about in the middle. I have to say,
though, after watching my wife and son paint a room recently- I get
all my paint on the wall.g

I am not a fast painter-- but I do a good job and don't need much
cleanup.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 13:55:35 -0800 (PST), Dottie
wrote:

[...]

I think most replies you got so far are good ones. I guess I'd ask
the paint store what they think the coverage will be if you roll it
on. Likely at the lower end but why guess, just ask them. I'm sure
they have a good idea if you tell them what you are doing. And as
others suggest, might as well price a 5 gal bucket of paint and
compare to 4 single gallons. I also agree don't get the cheap paint.
I would not consider less than the middle grade or better. And yes I
know it's not cheap but it might save you in the long run and be
easier to apply too unless you are selling the house in a short time.
Then in that case I'd use the cheaper grade paint.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You never mentioned what type of texture is on the wall - smooth or
textured (or the ceiling). I mention this because, you would normally
pick a roller cover for the type of wall / ceiling finish.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tim Watts wrote in news:bu7bt9-ppu.ln1
@squidward.local.dionic.net:

On Friday 25 January 2013 20:17 Doug Miller wrote in alt.home.repair:

Tim Watts wrote in
:

On Friday 25 January 2013 17:42 Dottie wrote in alt.home.repair:

[how much paint to buy?]

You will need twice as much as the coverage figures on the can claim! :-|

Nonsense.

Not at all - it has been my experience that the coverage figures need
halving (approximately) on nearly every paint I have every applied.

This is not because it is crap and needs 2 coats - this is beacuse I don't
roll it out to atoms thick like the manufacturer assumes.

It's not fair to blame the manufacturer's labelling when the actual problem is that you're
applying too heavy a coat. :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dottie wrote:
I need to paint my great room - hall - and dinette. Its all painted
the same color. I measured (three walls have those tall vaulted
ceilings) -- but as best I can tell - the area measures 1441 sq.ft.
I have thrown away the sales slips for the paint we bought - years
ago - and I have no idea how many gallons. It will be flat paint, as
close to the original color as possible. Hopefully, one coat will
cover it. How many gallons do I need? My late husband always bought
the paint - well, I bought it, but he told me how many gallons to
buy. Any help would be appreciated. Will probably shop at Home
Depot or Lowes. Thanks.

Although you didn't ask, I recommend one of the books on painting tips
you'll find at the box store. In it, you'll find dozens of ways to make your
job easier. Here are a few (for latex):

* Oil and water don't mix. This means that if you spray your hands with PAM
before the job, cleaning them up is SO much easier!
* Oxygen is the enemy of paint. Don't use the original container as the
source of application; pour the paint into a smaller, hand-held container.
When pausing or stopping, shoot a little of the aforementioned PAM in the
can. It floats atop the paint and acts as an air barrier.
* Cleaning brushes and the like is much, much easier if you add a bit of
fabric softener to the cleaning pail.
* If you wear glasses, cover them with a bit of cling-wrap. Presto: no
spotting.

And so on.

Further, are you sure you want to use "flat"? Satin or semi-gloss usually
gives a better look. And do your figures include the ceiling? In almost all
cases, the ceiling should be white. In fact, there is a special blend
called, believe it or not, "Ceiling Paint." Look for it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday 25 January 2013 23:22 Doug Miller wrote in alt.home.repair:

Tim Watts wrote in news:bu7bt9-ppu.ln1
@squidward.local.dionic.net:

On Friday 25 January 2013 20:17 Doug Miller wrote in alt.home.repair:

Tim Watts wrote in
:

On Friday 25 January 2013 17:42 Dottie wrote in alt.home.repair:

[how much paint to buy?]

You will need twice as much as the coverage figures on the can claim!
:-|

Nonsense.

Not at all - it has been my experience that the coverage figures need
halving (approximately) on nearly every paint I have every applied.

This is not because it is crap and needs 2 coats - this is beacuse I
don't roll it out to atoms thick like the manufacturer assumes.

It's not fair to blame the manufacturer's labelling when the actual
problem is that you're applying too heavy a coat. :-)

Except I'd like to actually cover the grubbiness underneath ;-

I know the manufacturers assume I will be painting a perfect white wall...

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

"It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent
moral busybodies."

Posted to alt.home.repair

After 45 years in the painting contracting business. I have seen
everything from lead based paint to new modern synthetic based latex
paints.

You will never find a paint that satisfies you completely.

buy your material, paint, and see what you have wrought. of course put a
primer on new dry wall. And maybe over a repaint....But, painting is
somewhat of a guessing game. Ask me.... I know.

So paint til you run out, then go buy more.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tim Watts wrote in news:dchbt9-oa9.ln1
@squidward.local.dionic.net:

[...]

If the wall is soiled, it needs to be washed; stains that can't be washed off need to be
covered with a stain-killing primer.

I know the manufacturers assume I will be painting a perfect white wall...

No, they assume you will be painting a properly prepped wall.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

As someone said, you will need about 4 gallons +- depending on how it is
applied. You might want to check the price for a 5 gallon bucket, may be
less than 4 - 1 gallon cans. Plus, it will be tinted all in one go rather
than individual cans.

I haven't found any problems with tint variations for *years*. I use
paint out of one gallon to touch up paint that came from another
without *any* problems. ...even a year later. ;-)

+1

I would add that even if the 5 gallon bucket is shaken at the store,
still take time to stir / mix it on the job. I use a drill and paddle
to mix it at home. I notice just being shaken really does not mix the
paint completely. I have ask the associate to double shake the
buckets, before.

Saved about $5.00 per gallon by getting one 5 gallon container.

OTOH, I hate 5gal pails. That's still not saving enough to buy the
extra gallon. I'd rather spend the extra and get five brand new cans
to store nails in. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in
m:

Although you didn't ask, I recommend one of the books on painting tips
you'll find at the box store. In it, you'll find dozens of ways to make your
job easier. Here are a few (for latex):

* Oil and water don't mix. This means that if you spray your hands with PAM
before the job, cleaning them up is SO much easier!

Yeah, except for getting the PAM off your hands...

Disposable latex or nitrile gloves make cleanup even easier.

* Oxygen is the enemy of paint. Don't use the original container as the
source of application; pour the paint into a smaller, hand-held container.
When pausing or stopping, shoot a little of the aforementioned PAM in the
can. It floats atop the paint and acts as an air barrier.

To the OP: this is a Bad Idea. Ignore it.

* Cleaning brushes and the like is much, much easier if you add a bit of
fabric softener to the cleaning pail.

Likewise.

* If you wear glasses, cover them with a bit of cling-wrap. Presto: no
spotting.

And no ability to see detail, either.
Posted to alt.home.repair

A painter once told me to store left-over paint cans upside-down so they don't skin over. I've done that and used paint a decade later to touch something up and couldn't see any difference.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On 1/25/2013 12:42 PM, Dottie wrote:
I need to paint ... as best I can tell - ... 1441 sq.ft. ... How
many gallons do I need?...

Says ~4 gal.

I just scanned the reference but didn't see any accountability for how
it's painted.... roller, brush or spray. They use different amounts.
Perhaps they assume the worst case scenario??

I didn't even look at the reference but that's 350 ft^2/gal if her
measurements are even close to accurate.

It'll take 5 min. to be comfortable...

OP: Remember to mix it together before starting to eliminate any
variations...

--

Probably cheaper to get a 5 gallon pail vs 4 single gallons. Just to be safe
and no boxing " mixing between gallons" required.

Of course its a little harder to haul around.

I agree plus you have plenty of touch up paint then.

With too much surface area. Stick with the smaller cans.

Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

* If you wear glasses, cover them with a bit of cling-wrap. Presto: no
spotting.

And so on.

Further, are you sure you want to use "flat"? Satin or semi-gloss usually
gives a better look. And do your figures include the ceiling? In almost all
cases, the ceiling should be white. In fact, there is a special blend
called, believe it or not, "Ceiling Paint." Look for it.

For people who like flat interior paint, semi looks like s--- and
highlights ever bump or flaw in the surface.
Posted to alt.home.repair

at best coverage is a guess estimate and with needing 4 gallons i
would go with 5.

too many people dont wash walls before painting. i believe its
critical to clean all surfaces thoroughy, remove all wall plates,
proper prep is everything....

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I need to paint my great room - hall - and dinette. Its all painted the same color. I measured (three walls have those tall vaulted ceilings) -- but as best I can tell -
Any help would be appreciated. Will probably shop at Home Depot or Lowes. Thanks.

You'll need about 4 gallons depending on just how you apply it. Given
that the color is close, one coat should it if you don't miss any
spots.

There are better places to buy paint though. Sometimes the local
store will be cheaper and have better quality brands, service, advice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday 26 January 2013 00:01 Doug Miller wrote in alt.home.repair:

[...]

I said "grubby" (what you get on an ancient wall after a good wash), not
"Texas Chainsaw Massacre".

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tim Watts wrote in :

I said "grubby" (what you get on an ancient wall after a good wash), not
"Texas Chainsaw Massacre".

And if there are stains on the wall that cannot be washed off, you need to cover them with a
stain-killing primer before applying the topcoat. The manufacturer's coverage claims are
based on the assumption that the paint will be applied over a properly-prepared surface. If
you don't do proper surface prep before painting, it's not the manufacturer's fault that you have
to apply more paint to cover the flaws.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday 26 January 2013 14:51 Doug Miller wrote in alt.home.repair:

Tim Watts wrote in
:

I said "grubby" (what you get on an ancient wall after a good wash), not
"Texas Chainsaw Massacre".

And if there are stains on the wall that cannot be washed off, you need to
cover them with a stain-killing primer before applying the topcoat. The
manufacturer's coverage claims are based on the assumption that the paint
will be applied over a properly-prepared surface. If you don't do proper
surface prep before painting, it's not the manufacturer's fault that you
have to apply more paint to cover the flaws.

I'm sorry but that is not true.

Certain stains should be treated with a stain block - particulary oil or
flue-tar seepage on masonry unlined chimneys and old subsequenty fixed roof
leaks can cause staining on ceilings that is water mobile (ie bleeds through
paint).

For day to day grubbiness [1], once the wall has been washed off, it is
completely normal and reasonable not to do any special treatments before
painting.

[1] Obviously any waxes (kids crayons), oil (from cooking or dare I say,
hair oils) must be removed. I reiterate - I am just taking about general
greyness that comes with old paintwork.

We all know the manufacturers will stretch their claims to the limit. And I
am saying, IME, it's best to roughly halve those claims in the real world.
Paint often gets cheaper per unit quantity anyway, so it's better to buy 2l
than 1l then have to go back for another 1l.

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

"She got her looks from her father. He's a plastic surgeon."