Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Paint - How Much to Buy

On 1/25/2013 12:42 PM, Dottie wrote:
I need to paint my great room - hall - and dinette. Its all painted the same color. I measured (three walls have those tall vaulted ceilings) -- but as best I can tell - the area measures 1441 sq.ft. I have thrown away the sales slips for the paint we bought - years ago - and I have no idea how many gallons. It will be flat paint, as close to the original color as possible. Hopefully, one coat will cover it. How many gallons do I need? My late husband always bought the paint - well, I bought it, but he told me how many gallons to buy. Any help would be appreciated. Will probably shop at Home Depot or Lowes. Thanks.

I'm a little puzzled by your description of the rooms, but assume the
sq. ft. number is WALL area, not floor area. The area taken up by
windows and doorways should be factored into the area to be covered, as
should the roughness (more) or smoothness of the surface. Assume
similar colors, not very deep or dark? I have never been able to get
the coverage stated on the can, so one's technique matters, too.