Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default paint peeling (crown wipeable paint)

Hello,

A couple of years ago we had a room plastered. We allowed the plaster
to dry and then we sealed it with a primer and then we painted it. At
the time we chose Crown wipeable paint, thinking it would be resilient
to splashes, stains, and children!

The problem is it peels. For example, I had just been chiseling a
square for a back box and somehow the vibrations have caused the paint
to split on the opposite side of the wall. I'm not sure whether to try
and glue the edges down or whether to cut them back but I know if I
try to pull them off, I will be able to tear a long strip off.

Needless to say, we've changed our brand loyalties and have used Dulux
in the other rooms!

Why does this peel in such long strips? Is it a sign that we did not
prepare the surface correctly, or is it just a characteristic of the
paint? I assume it's an emulsion of plastic and that when it dries it
leaves a plastic film on the wall; I guess I am just peeling a strip
of this film off?

Thanks in advance.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 10, 2:53*pm, Stephen wrote:
Hello,

A couple of years ago we had a room plastered. We allowed the plaster
to dry and then we sealed it with a primer and then we painted it.

What did you use for this first "primer" coat? New plaster should have
first a skim coat of diluted emulsion (opinions differ, I dilute with
25% water but others seem to use more). This bonds with the surface of
the plaster and allows subsequent coast to bond securely.

Cheers
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 15:16:43 -0700 (PDT), geraldthehamster
wrote:

What did you use for this first "primer" coat? New plaster should have
first a skim coat of diluted emulsion (opinions differ, I dilute with
25% water but others seem to use more). This bonds with the surface of
the plaster and allows subsequent coast to bond securely.

Sorry for the late reply. It only peels when damaged, such as knocks
and bumps. I can't remember what primer I used, it was a years or
three ago, I think it was a (relatively) expensive primer made by
International Paints. I've since discovered Blue Hawk primer in B&Q
which costs less. Actually the Blue Hawk looks like very watered down
emulsion and I have often wondered if I could save even more by using
cheap emulsion watered down but I haven't been brave enough to try.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen
wibbled on Thursday 22 October 2009 22:25

Actually the Blue Hawk looks like very watered down
emulsion and I have often wondered if I could save even more by using
cheap emulsion watered down but I haven't been brave enough to try.

I thought that's what everyone did anyway?

The main thing is to use a watered down matt, not vinyl.

I've seen it mentioned on some other forums that Dulux trade emulsion is
good for this. I've been watering down white Dulux "Rich Matt" because
that's what I happen to have large tubs off, as it's my main ceiling paint
(and very good it is too - good coverage and bugger all splatter, at least
until you dilute it, then it splatters like the morning after a bad curry).

I won't know if it's worked for 20 years for sure, but the mist coat seems
to be soaking in and adhering well to new plaster.

I dilute by about 10-20% (it's a bit random).

Cheers

Tim

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Car paint peeling Big Les Wade UK diy 8 June 18th 09 01:32 AM
Peeling Paint Mark Carver UK diy 2 July 20th 08 10:21 AM
Wipeable Washable Paint? Adebisi UK diy 9 June 18th 07 09:09 PM
Paint Peeling miamicuse Home Repair 15 January 15th 07 07:05 AM
Sealing peeling paint?? Mastermech Home Repair 8 January 4th 05 09:06 PM