Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stephen[_6_] Stephen[_6_] is offline

Default paint peeling (crown wipeable paint)

Hello,

A couple of years ago we had a room plastered. We allowed the plaster
to dry and then we sealed it with a primer and then we painted it. At
the time we chose Crown wipeable paint, thinking it would be resilient
to splashes, stains, and children!

The problem is it peels. For example, I had just been chiseling a
square for a back box and somehow the vibrations have caused the paint
to split on the opposite side of the wall. I'm not sure whether to try
and glue the edges down or whether to cut them back but I know if I
try to pull them off, I will be able to tear a long strip off.

Needless to say, we've changed our brand loyalties and have used Dulux
in the other rooms!

Why does this peel in such long strips? Is it a sign that we did not
prepare the surface correctly, or is it just a characteristic of the
paint? I assume it's an emulsion of plastic and that when it dries it
leaves a plastic film on the wall; I guess I am just peeling a strip
of this film off?

Thanks in advance.