Mastermech

Default Sealing peeling paint??

Plan on repainting the ceiling in the kitchen. The paint is about 25 years
old and starting to peel in a few spots.
My question is if I fill the peeled area with joint compound and paint the
entire ceiling am I going to have to worry about other sections peeling from
underneath the new paint and ruining it?
Is the some type of sealer to prevent this?

Thanks for any input.
JRE

New & Improved - N/F John

Get a one inch puddy knife and to remove the paint. BUT FIRST:

I would wear an respirator with lead protection qualities and put a big fan
in the window to help remove dust. Open a window somewhere else to create a
draft. Also buy cheap plastic sheet drop cloth so when it falls to the
ground, you can easily dispose of the mess. You will have a mess. Don't
let anyone but yourself to enter the room unless protected. Have a shop vac
with a extra hose for exhaust and hang it out the window when vacuuming.
Use a damp towel to get fine particules after all is done.

You should wash the ceiling to get any previously painted over grease off
the remaining ceiling. Then try smooth the ceiling use drywall compound to
match existing solid painted surface. That's what I did. A ha.

"Mastermech" wrote in message
Plan on repainting the ceiling in the kitchen. The paint is about 25 years
old and starting to peel in a few spots.
My question is if I fill the peeled area with joint compound and paint the
entire ceiling am I going to have to worry about other sections peeling

from
underneath the new paint and ruining it?
Is the some type of sealer to prevent this?

Thanks for any input.
JRE

Mastermech

Do you mean remove it all?? or just at the areas that are peeling.

New & Improved - N/F John

I don't know. I took off, peeling, about about four sq ft on my ceiling.
You can't tell how easy it will be by looking at it. Only when you start
will you know the extent of the peeling.

"Mastermech" wrote in message
Do you mean remove it all?? or just at the areas that are peeling.

George E. Cawthon

Mastermech wrote:
Do you mean remove it all?? or just at the areas that are peeling.

No you don't have to remove anything that isn't loose.
Putting something over the loose part won't make it stick
tighter. So you need to lightly scrape all over to test for
looseness and where you find it scrape harder to remove the
loose paint. Then wash lightly and put undercoat on the
scraped areas to build those area up level with the
unscraped part and then put another coat on all of the
ceiling. Then paint normally.

Roger Shoaf

"New & Improved - N/F John" wrote in message
Get a one inch puddy knife and to remove the paint. BUT FIRST:

I would wear an respirator with lead protection qualities and put a big

fan
in the window to help remove dust.

If the paint is 25 years old that is after lead paint. Scrape any loose
paint and sand the edges lightly. Wash down with TSP to remove any grease,
and then go to town. If the old paint is an oil base and you are now using
a latex based paint, you might want to give it a coat of primer first.
Primer dries fast and bonds to the old paint and gives a "tooth" for the new
paint to adhere to.

Avoid the cheapie big box paint. Go to the paint store and get the good
stuff. They will also advise you on the right kind of primer and prep stuff
to get.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Quit trying to be lazy and do it the right way - remove all the old
paint. It's going to peel off eventually.

Pjx

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 20:17:28 -0500, "Mastermech"
wrote:

Plan on repainting the ceiling in the kitchen. The paint is about 25 years
old and starting to peel in a few spots.
My question is if I fill the peeled area with joint compound and paint the
entire ceiling am I going to have to worry about other sections peeling from
underneath the new paint and ruining it?
Is the some type of sealer to prevent this?

Thanks for any input.
JRE

Do you have a venthood to remove moisture? Get one and use it or

William Deans

Greetings,

This all sounds like a lot of work to me. It might be even less work to put
up another sheet of 3/8" drywall over your existing ceiling and paint it.
The finished product will look BRAND NEW and will never fail because of
paint / dirt underneith.

Hope this helps,
William