lbbss

Default Bathroom Ceiling paint keeps peeling? Very pitted

We have a problem with paint peeling in our bath room. Because of the
peeling we painted it just one year ago. 4 months ago it was badly
peeling again. 80% of the ceiling was pitted and bubbled up. The one
wall by the shower head had bubbled up and a few minor paint peels on the
wall by the window. My main concern is the ceiling. I would say 50% of
the spots peeled all the way to the bare plaster. Some of the peels had
water inside.
So we scraped it thoroughly, patched the divots, used a latex primer,
and then painted 2 coats of mold resistant latex paint. Now after 4
months it is starting to bubble up again. The house is only 30 years
old. I only have that problem in the bath room, so I assume it is a
moisture problem. Would using oil based primer have a more lasting
effect? I notices when I applied the latex primer, it would not paint on
very thick, as if it was not adhering properly. I don't know why, because
I sanded everything really good.
My question, is there a way to fix this problem without having to
install a fan? I would be happy it the painted lasted at least 1-2 years
(there is a chance we will be selling the house) without bubbling up.

xrongor

short answer, no.

My question, is there a way to fix this problem without having to
install a fan? I would be happy it the painted lasted at least 1-2 years
(there is a chance we will be selling the house) without bubbling up.

"lbbss" in :

I notices when I applied the latex primer, it would not paint on
very thick, as if it was not adhering properly.

if too thikc, it fell off? or does teh surface of the plaser peel away
wiht the fresh, wet paint?

Eric Tonks

1. You need an exhaust fan in that bathroom, if you have one you need to
replace it with one that works at moving the damp air out the room.
2. You need to remove as much of the paint as possible and wash it with
something like ammonia, then leave the ceiling to dry out for a couple of
weeks without using the shower.
3. Then prime the ceiling with a good quality primer, and coat with a couple
of coats of a good quality paint.
4. An alternative, which I have tried successfully, is to wallpaper the
ceiling with a heavy white cloth backed vinyl wallpaper. You apply the
pre-mixed paste to the ceiling AND to the wallpaper back with a paint roller
before installing.

"lbbss" wrote in message
no, the plaster does not peel off, it is in good shape. just the paint
peels off
wrote in message
"lbbss" in :

I notices when I applied the latex primer, it would not paint on
very thick, as if it was not adhering properly.

if too thikc, it fell off? or does teh surface of the plaser peel away
wiht the fresh, wet paint?

Paint won't stick to Artex type ceiling Warren Owen UK diy 9 September 1st 05 09:53 PM
bathroom ceiling Jim Walsh UK diy 4 April 28th 04 05:48 PM
Cracking paint walls & ceiling Billy & Beth Adams Home Ownership 0 March 14th 04 04:02 AM