Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT? Why do dogs scrach their side with their hind leg?

Maybe this isn't OT, since dogs live in homes? Why do dogs scrach
their side with their hind leg?

Is it only because of fleas or do they itch like people? Either
way, what do they do about scratching their back and belly etc?

I ask because there is a puppy on Friday's rerun of Monk who is
scratching his side with his hind leg and I wonder if they trained him
to do that or if they put some fleas on his side to get him too. And
how could they train him unless he had some reason to do it in the
first place? He looks too small and young to know English already.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
micky wrote:

Maybe this isn't OT, since dogs live in homes? Why do dogs scrach
their side with their hind leg?

Is it only because of fleas or do they itch like people? Either
way, what do they do about scratching their back and belly etc?

I ask because there is a puppy on Friday's rerun of Monk who is
scratching his side with his hind leg and I wonder if they trained him
to do that or if they put some fleas on his side to get him too. And
how could they train him unless he had some reason to do it in the
first place? He looks too small and young to know English already.

Don't you have anything to do up in the attic, mm?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 01 Dec 2012 20:53:01 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
micky wrote:

Maybe this isn't OT, since dogs live in homes? Why do dogs scrach
their side with their hind leg?

Is it only because of fleas or do they itch like people? Either
way, what do they do about scratching their back and belly etc?

I ask because there is a puppy on Friday's rerun of Monk who is
scratching his side with his hind leg and I wonder if they trained him
to do that or if they put some fleas on his side to get him too. And
how could they train him unless he had some reason to do it in the
first place? He looks too small and young to know English already.

Don't you have anything to do up in the attic, mm?

Yes, lots. But the ladder is downstairs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:
Maybe this isn't OT, since dogs live in homes? Why do dogs scrach
their side with their hind leg?

Is it only because of fleas or do they itch like people? Either
way, what do they do about scratching their back and belly etc?

I ask because there is a puppy on Friday's rerun of Monk who is
scratching his side with his hind leg and I wonder if they trained him
to do that or if they put some fleas on his side to get him too. And
how could they train him unless he had some reason to do it in the
first place? He looks too small and young to know English already.

Hi,
Don't you ever scratch yourself? Most of my life I lived with a dog in
the house. I never saw a dog who does not scratch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:
Maybe this isn't OT, since dogs live in homes? Why do dogs scrach
their side with their hind leg?

Because their front legs don't bend that way.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 01 Dec 2012 23:28:21 -0500, micky
wrote:

Why do dogs scrac[t]h
their side with their hind leg?

Because they can and the cat won't do it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/1/12 10:28 PM, micky wrote:
Maybe this isn't OT, since dogs live in homes? Why do dogs scrach
their side with their hind leg?

Because they hold the cards in their front paws.
http://tinyurl.com/bth2rrc (except for the cheat)

Is it only because of fleas or do they itch like people? Either
way, what do they do about scratching their back and belly etc?

They scratch their backs the same way as horses.

I ask because there is a puppy on Friday's rerun of Monk who is
scratching his side with his hind leg and I wonder if they trained him
to do that or if they put some fleas on his side to get him too. And
how could they train him unless he had some reason to do it in the
first place? He looks too small and young to know English already.

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote in
:

Maybe this isn't OT, since dogs live in homes? Why do dogs scrach
their side with their hind leg?

Is it only because of fleas or do they itch like people? Either
way, what do they do about scratching their back and belly etc?

Dogs scratch for the same reason people do: because they itch. Doesn't necessarily have
anything to do with fleas.

Dogs use their hind legs to scratch their sides and heads because they can't reach those
parts of their bodies with their front legs.

They scratch itches on their bellies and butts with their teeth, and on their backs by rolling over
and wiggling. Ever seen a person scratch his back on a doorpost? Same idea exactly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 2 Dec 2012 23:16:22 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

Dogs scratch for the same reason people do: because they itch. Doesn't necessarily have
anything to do with fleas.

Dogs use their hind legs to scratch their sides and heads because they can't reach those
parts of their bodies with their front legs.

They scratch itches on their bellies and butts with their teeth, and on their backs by rolling over
and wiggling. Ever seen a person scratch his back on a doorpost? Same idea exactly.

Just like my African sight hound (Basenji), Boo.

What you said, plus he licks his paws when done scratching. Like a cat
cleans himself. Clean and tidy. Even rubs his eyes with damp licked
paws.

"...The basenji has the unique properties of not barking (it makes a
low, liquid ululation instead) and cleaning itself like a cat."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basenji
Posted to alt.home.repair

"micky" wrote in message
Maybe this isn't OT, since dogs live in homes? Why do dogs scrach
their side with their hind leg?

Is it only because of fleas or do they itch like people? Either
way, what do they do about scratching their back and belly etc?

I ask because there is a puppy on Friday's rerun of Monk who is
scratching his side with his hind leg and I wonder if they trained him
to do that or if they put some fleas on his side to get him too. And
how could they train him unless he had some reason to do it in the
first place? He looks too small and young to know English already.

Me guess you aint a dog person. Best if ye don't ever own one.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"micky" wrote in message
Maybe this isn't OT, since dogs live in homes? Why do dogs scrach
their side with their hind leg?

Is it only because of fleas or do they itch like people? Either
way, what do they do about scratching their back and belly etc?

I ask because there is a puppy on Friday's rerun of Monk who is
scratching his side with his hind leg and I wonder if they trained him
to do that or if they put some fleas on his side to get him too. And
how could they train him unless he had some reason to do it in the
first place? He looks too small and young to know English already.

I have seen dogs, cats and even horses scratch the areas they can reach with
their rear paw or hoof. The mouth works for other areas that they can reach
with their teeth. They do whatever they have to do to get rid of the itch.

Senior Member

I've always wondered why a giraffe's neck was so long.

Then one day it dawned on me.

It had to be that long to reach it's head.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"EXT" wrote in news:50bc048b$0$47968$c3e8da3$dd9697d2
@news.astraweb.com:

I have seen dogs, cats and even horses scratch the areas they can reach with
their rear paw or hoof. The mouth works for other areas that they can reach
with their teeth. They do whatever they have to do to get rid of the itch.

Yep. I grew up with dogs, I've been around them all my life, but I had little to no contact with
horses until my late twenties. I laughed so hard it hurt, the first time I saw a horse sit down on its
butt and scratch its ear with a rear hoof -- *exactly* like a dog does.