Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Twisted extension cord

My brother uses a 100 foot long, 12 gage, extension cord with his
electric lawn mower. The cord always becomes VERY twisted. They
only last two or three years before he has to replace them.

Is there some type of cord or an adapter that will prevent the cord
from being twisted? (I have seen adapters that claim to prevent
telephone handset cords from being twisted.)

My brother thinks that a flat cord might last longer than a round
cord. Is this true? Thank you in advance for any help.
--
When I am in the kitchen, I often kick one of my cat's balls.
After I kick it, he will sometimes play with it for a few
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/1/2012 2:54 PM, Daniel Prince wrote:
My brother uses a 100 foot long, 12 gage, extension cord with his
electric lawn mower. The cord always becomes VERY twisted. They
only last two or three years before he has to replace them.

Is there some type of cord or an adapter that will prevent the cord
from being twisted? (I have seen adapters that claim to prevent
telephone handset cords from being twisted.)

My brother thinks that a flat cord might last longer than a round
cord. Is this true? Thank you in advance for any help.

Ok, how does the twist occur? He probably grabs one end and starts
gathering loops with the other hand and adds them to the bunch in the other.

Each time he makes the loop, he twists the extension cord one time. When
he uses the cord he probably just dumps it and pulls on an end. this
does not take the original twist out of the cord. Then he gathers the
cord using the same method as before and adds yet another twist to the cord.

The solution is to wind the cord on a reel with a crank that is made for
extension cords.

If the twist occurs while mowing, the simple solution is to mow the
opposite direction next time. Or don't go in circles!

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

Daniel Prince wrote:
My brother uses a 100 foot long, 12 gage, extension cord with his
electric lawn mower. The cord always becomes VERY twisted. They
only last two or three years before he has to replace them.

Is there some type of cord or an adapter that will prevent the cord
from being twisted? (I have seen adapters that claim to prevent
telephone handset cords from being twisted.)

My brother thinks that a flat cord might last longer than a round
cord. Is this true? Thank you in advance for any help.

I got a 100 foot cord which stays outside. Its not twisted. Either up your
brother should alter his cutting sequence, and perhaps, do not coil.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 01 Dec 2012 14:54:04 -0800, Daniel Prince
wrote:

My brother uses a 100 foot long, 12 gage, extension cord with his
electric lawn mower. The cord always becomes VERY twisted. They
only last two or three years before he has to replace them.

Is there some type of cord or an adapter that will prevent the cord
from being twisted? (I have seen adapters that claim to prevent
telephone handset cords from being twisted.)

My brother thinks that a flat cord might last longer than a round
cord. Is this true? Thank you in advance for any help.

I use tape. Pull the cord out in a straight line. Make a circle and
tape, then roll the cord up like a wheel.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Daniel Prince:
My brother uses a 100 foot long, 12 gage, extension cord with his
electric lawn mower. The cord always becomes VERY twisted. They
only last two or three years before he has to replace them.

Is there some type of cord or an adapter that will prevent the cord
from being twisted?

I can think of three things:

- Think though the pattern he walks when cutting so it
does not twist the cord

- When winding the cord follow the technique described
he http://tinyurl.com/d9qrlxt

- When buying a cord, get one with a stripe down it so
he can see when it's getting twisted (i.e. he's doing
something wrong)
--
Pete Cresswell

Posted to alt.home.repair

Observe his behavior, see what puts the twists into the cords. Help him
change his behaviours. Or, stretch the cord out every use, and untwist it.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Daniel Prince" wrote in message
My brother uses a 100 foot long, 12 gage, extension cord with his
electric lawn mower. The cord always becomes VERY twisted. They
only last two or three years before he has to replace them.

Is there some type of cord or an adapter that will prevent the cord
from being twisted? (I have seen adapters that claim to prevent
telephone handset cords from being twisted.)

My brother thinks that a flat cord might last longer than a round
cord. Is this true? Thank you in advance for any help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Daniel Prince wrote:

My brother uses a 100 foot long, 12 gage, extension cord with his
electric lawn mower. The cord always becomes VERY twisted. They
only last two or three years before he has to replace them.

Is there some type of cord or an adapter that will prevent the cord
from being twisted? (I have seen adapters that claim to prevent
telephone handset cords from being twisted.)

My brother thinks that a flat cord might last longer than a round
cord. Is this true? Thank you in advance for any help.

Electricians use this method:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaEv9wm6gy0

Looks a little ugly and bulky, but never tangles.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 1 Dec 2012 21:23:18 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Observe his behavior, see what puts the twists into the cords. Help him
change his behaviours. Or, stretch the cord out every use, and untwist it.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Daniel Prince" wrote in message
.. .
My brother uses a 100 foot long, 12 gage, extension cord with his
electric lawn mower. The cord always becomes VERY twisted. They
only last two or three years before he has to replace them.

Is there some type of cord or an adapter that will prevent the cord
from being twisted? (I have seen adapters that claim to prevent
telephone handset cords from being twisted.)

My brother thinks that a flat cord might last longer than a round
cord. Is this true? Thank you in advance for any help.

There is a very simple way to avoid twisting an extention cord. Get
a cord winding rack - basically a "flat spool" - and while holding the
rack upright, and unmoving, simply coil the cord onto the rack, To
unwind the cord, do the same. Hold the rack straigt and unmoving, and
simply unloop the crd off the rack.

100 feet? No problem - not a SINGLE twist.
Learned that one winding mic and speaker cords back in high school
where I was one of the A/V techs after school. (45 years ago)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Paul Drahn wrote:

Each time he makes the loop, he twists the extension cord one time. When
he uses the cord he probably just dumps it and pulls on an end. this
does not take the original twist out of the cord. Then he gathers the
cord using the same method as before and adds yet another twist to the cord.

The solution is to wind the cord on a reel with a crank that is made for
extension cords.

That is what I thought when the problem first started so I bought
him a reel with a crank. He uses the reel and he still twists the
cord.
--
When a cat sits in a human's lap both the human and the cat are usually
happy. The human is happy because he thinks the cat is sitting on him/her
Posted to alt.home.repair
rlz rlz is offline

On Dec 1, 8:05*pm, Daniel Prince wrote:
Paul Drahn wrote:
Each time he makes the loop, he twists the extension cord one time. When
he uses the cord he probably just dumps it and pulls on an end. this
does not take the original twist out of the cord. Then he gathers the
cord using the same method as before and adds yet another twist to the cord.

The solution is to wind the cord on a reel with a crank that is made for
extension cords.

That is what I thought when the problem first started so I bought
him a reel with a crank. *He uses the reel and he still twists the
cord.
--
When a cat sits in a human's lap both the human and the cat are usually
happy. *The human is happy because he thinks the cat is sitting on him/her
because it loves her/him. *The cat is happy because it thinks that by sitting
on the human it is dominant over the human.

Of course, the simple solution is to have him buy a gas lawn mower.
No more cord.... Problem solved.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My brother uses a 100 foot long, 12 gage, extension cord with his
electric lawn mower. The cord always becomes VERY twisted. They
only last two or three years before he has to replace them.

I hope he gives the old one to Goodwill Industries. Lots of people
would be happy to have a twisted extension cord.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I think YOU need a MOTIVATIONAL speaker who PACES back and FORTH in the
manner OF A man who is MOWING the lawn. He should WALK the length of THE
ROOM and turn around, always IN the SAME direction of TURN, a COUPLE dozen
turns, each time he SPEAKS. He should SPEAK once a week, and each TIME roll
the MIC cord back ON the FLAT SPOOL. Do you think THAT the CORD would remain
UNTWISTED?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message
news
There is a very simple way to avoid twisting an extention cord. Get
a cord winding rack - basically a "flat spool" - and while holding the
rack upright, and unmoving, simply coil the cord onto the rack, To
unwind the cord, do the same. Hold the rack straigt and unmoving, and
simply unloop the crd off the rack.

100 feet? No problem - not a SINGLE twist.
Learned that one winding mic and speaker cords back in high school
where I was one of the A/V techs after school. (45 years ago)

Posted to alt.home.repair

When I had a telephone answering service, we had
one of the operators whose cord was always
twisted. Observing, I could see that each time she
answered the phone, she put another twist in the
cord. I tried to show her how to pick up the phone
and put it down without adding a twist, but she never
did get the picture. I got in the habit of twisting her
phone cord in the other direction each time I was there.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Daniel Prince" wrote in message

The solution is to wind the cord on a reel with a crank that is made for
extension cords.

That is what I thought when the problem first started so I bought
him a reel with a crank. He uses the reel and he still twists the
cord.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sell the twisted cord for the metal content?

I wondered how long till someone suggested a
gasoline mower. Can you imagine how twisted
his gasoline would be?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"micky" wrote in message

I hope he gives the old one to Goodwill Industries.
Lots of people would be happy to have a twisted
extension cord.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Have you ever tried to untwist gasoline?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"rlz" wrote in message news:36193aee-6306-4540-a3f4-

Of course, the simple solution is to have
him buy a gas lawn mower.
No more cord.... Problem solved.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/1/2012 4:54 PM, Daniel Prince wrote:
My brother uses a 100 foot long, 12 gage, extension cord with his
electric lawn mower. The cord always becomes VERY twisted. They
only last two or three years before he has to replace them.

Is there some type of cord or an adapter that will prevent the cord
from being twisted? (I have seen adapters that claim to prevent
telephone handset cords from being twisted.)

My brother thinks that a flat cord might last longer than a round
cord. Is this true? Thank you in advance for any help.

FORGET FLAT CORDS. They will twist much more than the round ones. I
don't think you will find any anymore as they are NOT acceptable by OSHA
standards.

I've tried chaining cords (not bad), reels (surprised he's having
problems with this), 5 gallon buckets, etc.

This is what I've tried the last 4 years. There is a special way to
roll up round cords. There is a bit of a learning curve involved, but
it is dead simple once you get it. I've made my guys use this method
and the cords are in great shape. It involves reversing the twist of
the cord every loop, it is demanded of anyone in the entertainment
business. There are plenty of youtube movies, but it would be even
better if you can get someone to show you:

Here are two explanations:
I understood the first one easier
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6duVvwdd5F0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLwwB29uQRg

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven
Posted to alt.home.repair

My brother uses a 100 foot long, 12 gage, extension cord with his
electric lawn mower. The cord always becomes VERY twisted. They
only last two or three years before he has to replace them.

Is there some type of cord or an adapter that will prevent the cord
from being twisted? (I have seen adapters that claim to prevent
telephone handset cords from being twisted.)

My brother thinks that a flat cord might last longer than a round
cord. Is this true? Thank you in advance for any help.

Electricians use this method:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaEv9wm6gy0

Looks a little ugly and bulky, but never tangles.

*I've used that technique for block and tackle ropes, but never for an
extension cord. Most round cords have a natural twist built-in as a result
of the manufacturing process. If one takes the time to feel the twist and
rotate the cord with their fingers, the cord can be coiled up like it was on
the reel from the factory. I also have a 3' piece of 1/4" cotton rope
knotted around at least one end of each cord to tie it up after it is
coiled. My helpers get this training on the first day of work and my cords
have been around for years.

I have one 12 gauge flat extension cord. It does seem to get less kink in
it, but it is more difficult to coil.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

*Here's an example of the technique that I use: http://youtu.be/KYXn18mxQok

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per DanG:
I've made my guys use this method
and the cords are in great shape. It involves reversing the twist of
the cord every loop, it is demanded of anyone in the entertainment
business. There are plenty of youtube movies, but it would be even
better if you can get someone to show you:

I used to coil them the same way and uncoil them the same way.

Worked OK, but once I learned about reversing the twist at every
loop I changed over and never looked back.

One advantage of reversing the twist at every loop is that, with
a little practice, you can throw the package - holding one end -
and it lays out flat.

Works with rope too. I do it with the lines on my outrigger
canoe and just throw them out on the beach when I'm rigging.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 01 Dec 2012 14:54:04 -0800, Daniel Prince wrote:

The cord always becomes VERY twisted. They only
last two or three years before he has to replace them.

I assume it twists when he wraps it up?

Sailors for centuries have been twisting the line
counterclockwise as they loop the line clockwise.

In addition, I assume the cord is detachable?

I would connect the male and female ends, and then
halve the length, doubling the cord over without any
twisting - until the bound length is about a foot or two.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My brother uses a 100 foot long, 12 gage, extension cord with his
electric lawn mower. The cord always becomes VERY twisted. They
only last two or three years before he has to replace them.

I hope he gives the old one to Goodwill Industries. Lots of people
would be happy to have a twisted extension cord.

Even if the cord is so badly twisted that the insulation is pulled
off in places?
--
When a cat sits in a human's lap both the human and the cat are usually
happy. The human is happy because he thinks the cat is sitting on him/her
because it loves her/him. The cat is happy because it thinks that by sitting
on the human it is dominant over the human.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 2 Dec 2012 07:26:49 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I think YOU need a MOTIVATIONAL speaker who PACES back and FORTH in the
manner OF A man who is MOWING the lawn. He should WALK the length of THE
ROOM and turn around, always IN the SAME direction of TURN, a COUPLE dozen
turns, each time he SPEAKS. He should SPEAK once a week, and each TIME roll
the MIC cord back ON the FLAT SPOOL. Do you think THAT the CORD would remain
UNTWISTED?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org

. It does for me every week when I wind up the mic cord Sunday noon.
If someone else helps and does not take care, I need to take some
twists out when I uncoil the cord the next week. The secret is to take
it off exactly the way it was put on and to throw the loops when you
wind it up if it has gotten twisted in use.

wrote in message
news
There is a very simple way to avoid twisting an extention cord. Get
a cord winding rack - basically a "flat spool" - and while holding the
rack upright, and unmoving, simply coil the cord onto the rack, To
unwind the cord, do the same. Hold the rack straigt and unmoving, and
simply unloop the crd off the rack.

100 feet? No problem - not a SINGLE twist.
Learned that one winding mic and speaker cords back in high school
where I was one of the A/V techs after school. (45 years ago)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 2 Dec 2012 07:29:04 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

When I had a telephone answering service, we had
one of the operators whose cord was always
twisted. Observing, I could see that each time she
answered the phone, she put another twist in the
cord. I tried to show her how to pick up the phone
and put it down without adding a twist, but she never
did get the picture. I got in the habit of twisting her
phone cord in the other direction each time I was there.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

For coiled phone cords there is a simple device that lets the cord
swivel, almost totally eliminating the problem - for a couple of
bucks.

"Daniel Prince" wrote in message
.. .

The solution is to wind the cord on a reel with a crank that is made for
extension cords.

That is what I thought when the problem first started so I bought
him a reel with a crank. He uses the reel and he still twists the
cord.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 02 Dec 2012 07:52:02 -0600, DanG wrote:

[...]

"figure eight" winding. Works great for garden hoses
Posted to alt.home.repair

The OP has a PERSON who does NOT take CARE when MOWING the lawn, and the
CORD gets TWISTED. Same IDEA.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote:

I think YOU need a MOTIVATIONAL speaker who PACES back and FORTH in the
manner OF A man who is MOWING the lawn. He should WALK the length of THE
ROOM and turn around, always IN the SAME direction of TURN, a COUPLE dozen
turns, each time he SPEAKS. He should SPEAK once a week, and each TIME roll
the MIC cord back ON the FLAT SPOOL. Do you think THAT the CORD would
remain
UNTWISTED?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org

. It does for me every week when I wind up the mic cord Sunday noon.
If someone else helps and does not take care, I need to take some
twists out when I uncoil the cord the next week. The secret is to take
it off exactly the way it was put on and to throw the loops when you
wind it up if it has gotten twisted in use.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Such device was purchased, and did no good.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote:

When I had a telephone answering service, we had
one of the operators whose cord was always
twisted. Observing, I could see that each time she
answered the phone, she put another twist in the
cord. I tried to show her how to pick up the phone
and put it down without adding a twist, but she never
did get the picture. I got in the habit of twisting her
phone cord in the other direction each time I was there.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

For coiled phone cords there is a simple device that lets the cord
swivel, almost totally eliminating the problem - for a couple of
bucks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Is there some type of cord or an adapter that will prevent the cord
from being twisted?

I have a 25' 12 GA cord for my worm drive saw made by Bosch.

"..It is very soft and very supple, more like rope than wire."

Temps from -40F to 120F+

It stays flexible with no twists or kinks.

A damn good cord...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Daniel Prince wrote:

My brother uses a 100 foot long, 12 gage, extension cord with his
electric lawn mower. The cord always becomes VERY twisted. They
only last two or three years before he has to replace them.

I have found some rotating electrical outlets on eBay. If I put one
of them in a box with a short power cord, would it reduce the amount
of twisting? I would make it so that the rotating electrical outlet
would face out rather than up. My brother would plug his extension
cord into the rotating electrical outlet and if we are lucky the
outlet would rotate instead of the cord twisting.
--
When a cat sits in a human's lap both the human and the cat are usually
happy. The human is happy because he thinks the cat is sitting on him/her
because it loves her/him. The cat is happy because it thinks that by sitting
on the human it is dominant over the human.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 03 Dec 2012 01:27:49 -0800, Daniel Prince
wrote:

Daniel Prince wrote:

My brother uses a 100 foot long, 12 gage, extension cord with his
electric lawn mower. The cord always becomes VERY twisted. They
only last two or three years before he has to replace them.

I have found some rotating electrical outlets on eBay. If I put one
of them in a box with a short power cord, would it reduce the amount
of twisting? I would make it so that the rotating electrical outlet
would face out rather than up. My brother would plug his extension
cord into the rotating electrical outlet and if we are lucky the
outlet would rotate instead of the cord twisting.

Won't work. The twist is on the ground and will never reach the
rotating outlet. A rotating adapter near the mower cord that hangs
off the ground would work. Haven't seen one.
This is really silly. The only way the cord can be set with a twist
is he doesn't remove the twist when stowing the cord.
It's not rocket science. You have to whip out the loops to get rid of
the twist before stowing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 3, 12:15*pm, Vic Smith wrote:
On Mon, 03 Dec 2012 11:36:47 -0500, wrote:

I am careful to wrap and unwrap mine the same way every time and it
looks new.

I can't recall seeing a badly twisted up electrical cord, and I've
seen plenty of cords. *Probably forgot. *You can see the hand to elbow
technique doesn't work first time you try it. *It's fast, that's all.
You almost have to purposely reject common sense to get a cord all
twisted up.

I have one 25' extension cord that I inherited from a organzation that
I am involved with. It needed both a plug and a socket so they just
bought a new cord and were about to toss the old one in the garbage. I
grabbed it and repaired it, but I rarely use it because of the "badly
twisted up" nature of it.

I think it was wound up via the hand to elbow method so many times
that the outer insulation is all screwed up. The extension cord is
kind of bumpy, like the internal wires are twisted or something. It's
the only cord I've ever seen in that condition. Maybe I'll take a
picture of it and post it.

Other than that one, I have more extensions cords than any homeowner
has to right to own! Right now I'm using three cords for my christmas
lights and I still have more than enough for any projects that I might
need to work on. I've still got three in the garage, a couple in the
shed and one or two in my workshop. I'm not sure where they all came
from, but I can't resist a good extension cord deal at a garage sale
and have no problem accepting a broken cord if all it needs is a plug
or socket.

I've got a 40' 12g and a 10' 12g than came from some rich guy that
threw out a 50' cord - on a reel - because he cut the cord about 10'
from the end. For the price of a plug and socket, I ended up with 2
practically brand new cords that I've been using for more than 10
years. When my son was a teenager doing odd jobs, he was helping some
guy clean out his garage. When the guy said to throw out the cord, my
son knew a good deal when he saw it. He put it on the side of the junk
pile and then put it in my car when I came to pick him up. Smart kid!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 3, 2:30*pm, wrote:
On Mon, 03 Dec 2012 11:15:57 -0600, Vic Smith

wrote:
On Mon, 03 Dec 2012 11:36:47 -0500, wrote:

I am careful to wrap and unwrap mine the same way every time and it
looks new.

I can't recall seeing a badly twisted up electrical cord, and I've
seen plenty of cords. *Probably forgot. *You can see the hand to elbow
technique doesn't work first time you try it. *It's fast, that's all.
You almost have to purposely reject common sense to get a cord all
twisted up.

Here they are

http://gfretwell.com/electrical/cords.jpg

That one on the right is more or less like the one I described in my
the left, but you can see how the outer jacket of the one on the right
is twisted, causing permanent ripples in the cord.

It's just plain ugly!

P.S. Thanks for saving me the trouble of taking a picture of mine. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Eek! You sure can tell which one is which.

Thank you for taking the effort to photo, and
post the photo.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message
I am careful to wrap and unwrap mine
the same way every time and it
looks new.

Here they are
http://gfretwell.com/electrical/cords.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 3 Dec 2012 21:50:42 -0500, "grumpy"
wrote:

Is there some type of cord or an adapter that will prevent the cord
from being twisted? (I have seen adapters that claim to prevent
telephone handset cords from being twisted.)

YES HUMAN HANDS

_Loop Di Loop Your Power Cord _

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QSjvzBvdGs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 03 Dec 2012 14:30:21 -0500, wrote:

Here they are
http://gfretwell.com/electrical/cords.jpg

Wow. Why doesn't she throw hers away and just use yours?
You keep it locked up?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Daniel Prince" wrote in message
My brother uses a 100 foot long, 12 gage, extension cord with his
electric lawn mower. The cord always becomes VERY twisted. They
only last two or three years before he has to replace them.

Is there some type of cord or an adapter that will prevent the cord
from being twisted? (I have seen adapters that claim to prevent
telephone handset cords from being twisted.)

My brother thinks that a flat cord might last longer than a round
cord. Is this true? Thank you in advance for any help.

The way you store a cord is the secret. There is a coiling method where you
take one loop in one direction, and another loop in the other, and when you
pull on the end, it comes off with absolutely no spiral. I can take 100' of
wire rope, and coil it using this method, and with one person holding one
end, and another person holding the other, pull it straight, and there will
be absolutely no spiral to twist either person's hand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSxhjzFMKiM

The other way is to figure 8 it laying on the ground. It will have no
coiling to it. Trouble is, storing the figure 8. It can be laid on the
ground, or three pieces of cordage used to tie it, one in the middle, and
one on each end. We used to loop 600' lengths of diving hose using the
figure 8 method. It lets the line pay out easily, too, as only the top loop
comes off each time. It MUST be tied after the figure 8 stacking to keep it
from tangling.

The coil method works well in conjunction with a metal tire wheel on a post.
Weld the wheel about four feet off the ground. Make big loops that come
down to about four inches from the ground. It is easy to pull one coil off
at a time.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

I am careful to wrap and unwrap mine the same way every time and it
looks new.

If you use the one over one under system, you can tell if the cord/wire has
a little extra twist to it, and correct it before adding that loop to the
rest of the bundle. As gf, I have electrical lines, and cordage that has
been around a very long time, and looks fine. I have also seen guys go
through a cord or a long piece of rope in one season.

And not to mention the fun of untangling a 250 ft. piece of anything.

Steve