Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Robo-Moderation of alt.home.repair

In my rarely humble opinion, alt.home.repair is the best
of the USENET newsgroups. Unfortunately, it suffers from
spam and other worthless stuff. Is it time to implement
robo-moderation? You decide!

Benefits:
Minimal garbage (No SPAM and mimimal other stuff)
A pre-approved list of posters
A burn-before-read list of ******s
both lists are subject to change.

Problem:
Lots of posts from people who are not on either list

Costs:
Volunteer co-moderators to approve posts from people who are not on either list.
Voluntary donations to cover server costs.
Volunteer to deal directly with ******s

When I went to Australia in November 2007, Misc.Taxes.Moderated went
to robo-moderation and now requires less than an hour a week of my
time. It was always SPAM & garbage free. Nothing has changed.

Dick
--
Richard D. Adams, CPA
Moderator: Misc.Taxes.Moderated
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dick Adams" wrote in message
[...]

I dunno.... some of the antics are fun.
If people didn't let the spam affect/deter them, it really shouldn't affect
the group.
rec.crafts.metalworking, rec.autos.tech are other very good groups, with
super-knowledgeable people.
As long as people keep posting quality stuff, the group should thrive.
However, malicious spam can indeed destroy a group.
--
EA

Dick
--
Richard D. Adams, CPA
Moderator: Misc.Taxes.Moderated
Moderator: Misc.Legal.Moderated

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/6/2012 2:49 PM, Dick Adams wrote:
In my rarely humble opinion, alt.home.repair is the best
of the USENET newsgroups. Unfortunately, it suffers from
spam and other worthless stuff. Is it time to implement
robo-moderation? You decide!

I did. I use filters. You don't need a moderator to make your
decisions for you, you want a moderator to decide what everybody else
gets to see. Use a decent newsreader with filters and just choose for
yourself. Let everyone else choose how they wish to deal with it.

Usenet newsgroups are like hanging out in a bar or a bus stop. There's
a lot of conversations going on, and you aren't going to be interested
in a lot of them. Once in awhile you'll get a drunk or a crazy yelling
about something. In real life you ignore them. You can do that here, too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Don't be a dick, Dick. Setup your own filters instead of worrying about
what everyone else looks at. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dick Adams wrote:
[...]

A similar thing happened to alt.comp.freeware.

A couple of serious posters started a moderated newsgroup on Yahoo and rid
themselves of the trolls, cut-purses, nit-pickers, pollywogs, squints,
nay-sayers, goblins, scrots, stink-eyes, and people circling the drain.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in
m:

Dick Adams wrote:
[...]

What was left? A couple of posters?!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Existential Angst" wrote in
:

"Dick Adams" wrote in message
[...]

How would I feel superior without spammers?

:-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dick Adams wrote:

In my rarely humble opinion, alt.home.repair is the best
of the USENET newsgroups. Unfortunately, it suffers from
spam and other worthless stuff. Is it time to implement
robo-moderation? You decide!

I don't know where you're seeing spam.

Outside of google-gropes (which nobody should be using to experience
usenet) I see very little spam posted here.

My definition of spam is posting made by an automated process or bot, or
posts of a commercial or traffic-driven nature (that usually is posted
from IP's located in india, pakistan, and other similar places).

Benefits:
Minimal garbage (No SPAM and mimimal other stuff)

Please cite some examples of spam.

A pre-approved list of posters
A burn-before-read list of ******s
both lists are subject to change.

Problem:
Lots of posts from people who are not on either list

I suggest that you create either

misc.home.repair.moderated

or

alt.home.repair.moderated

And see how many people participate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:

A similar thing happened to alt.comp.freeware.

A couple of serious posters started a moderated newsgroup on Yahoo and rid
themselves of the trolls, cut-purses, nit-pickers, pollywogs, squints,
nay-sayers, goblins, scrots, stink-eyes, and people circling the drain.

And the attendance is low, plus the content gets stolen from the Usenet
group.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Home Guy wrote:

I suggest that you create either

misc.home.repair.moderated

Good luck getting the goons @ the "big-8" doing a new group cmdmsg.
Skirvin thinks he owns it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Set up a parallel list, and see if anyone posts.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Dick Adams" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 6, 2:49*pm, (Dick Adams) wrote:
[...]

No, you can always filter if certain spammers become a real problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/06/2012 03:50 PM, G. Morgan wrote:
HeyBub wrote:

A similar thing happened to alt.comp.freeware.

A couple of serious posters started a moderated newsgroup on Yahoo and rid
themselves of the trolls, cut-purses, nit-pickers, pollywogs, squints,
nay-sayers, goblins, scrots, stink-eyes, and people circling the drain.

And the attendance is low, plus the content gets stolen from the Usenet
group.

Yep. The guitar group (alt.guitar) has also flown the usenet coop, but
in their case they made it a damn facebook group, which, IMNSHO, is the
worst option available. Apparantly most of the contributing
inhabitants of the group made the switch, however.

As for a moderated group, OP is always free to make an
"alt.home.repair.moderated" group, and seeing how that goes (I think a
lot of the legitimate posters would contribute), but the likelihood of
modifying the existing a.h.r. group is pretty much nil.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 07 Nov 2012 01:56:06 -0800, Jon Danniken
wrote:

As for a moderated group, OP is always free to make an
"alt.home.repair.moderated" group, and seeing how that goes (I think a
lot of the legitimate posters would contribute), but the likelihood of
modifying the existing a.h.r. group is pretty much nil.

Jon

Yep, and I'm free not to go there. I don't like the idea of a
moderator. Will we have to wear brown shirts when posting?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

As for a moderated group, OP is always free to make an
"alt.home.repair.moderated" group, and seeing how that goes (I think a
lot of the legitimate posters would contribute), but the likelihood of
modifying the existing a.h.r. group is pretty much nil.

Jon

Yep, and I'm free not to go there. I don't like the idea of a
moderator. Will we have to wear brown shirts when posting?

I don't know, Ed; you'd have to ask OP about uniform specifics. .

If I was to set up something like this, I would whitelist the
overwhelming majority of posters (like yourself) who post actual
content, so basically you wouldn't even notice it.

The point would just be to filter out people who come to bicker about
things like politics/current events, while allowing pretty much anything
else relating to home repair and/or general tinkering and/or general
handymanliness/tools/metalworking/woodworking/auto repair/appliance
repair/computers/networking/cableTV/, those sorts of topics. Basically
whatever people want to talk about that isn't political BS.

But that's just me, and I'm not the one setting this up.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Jon Danniken wrote:

The point would just be to filter out people who come to bicker about
things like politics/current events,

Which you already have the power to do with filters that come with
Usenet readers.

But that's just me, and I'm not the one setting this up.

But you could, at least on your computer.

Jon

the *******s."-- Claire Wolfe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/07/2012 03:56 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
Jon Danniken wrote:

The point would just be to filter out people who come to bicker about
things like politics/current events,

Which you already have the power to do with filters that come with
Usenet readers.

But that's just me, and I'm not the one setting this up.

But you could, at least on your computer.

How about we let naked girls dance on the median strip on the freeway?
You are, of course, free to ignore them, so it won't be any problem for
you, right?

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Jon Danniken wrote:

How about we let naked girls dance on the median strip on the freeway?
You are, of course, free to ignore them, so it won't be any problem for
you, right?

Jon

Gee if you keep up with these ridiculously outrageous comparisons,
I may have to exercise my filters and take you out. Not sure how
something that goes against many laws and endangers people going 70 mph
or more even remotely compares to sitting on your ass in a chair and
demanding others bow to your wishes.
the *******s."-- Claire Wolfe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 06 Nov 2012 15:26:55 -0600, Moe DeLoughan
wrote in Re Robo-Moderation of
alt.home.repair:

Usenet newsgroups are like hanging out in a bar or a bus stop. There's
a lot of conversations going on, and you aren't going to be interested
in a lot of them. Once in awhile you'll get a drunk or a crazy yelling
about something. In real life you ignore them. You can do that here, too.

Well put.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Vinny From NYC wrote:

However, malicious spam can indeed destroy a group.

Exactly

What spam is being posted to this group?

Do you people even know what spam is - in the usenet context?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 6 Nov 2012 20:49:32 +0000 (UTC), (Dick
Adams) wrote:

In my rarely humble opinion, alt.home.repair is the best
of the USENET newsgroups. Unfortunately, it suffers from
spam and other worthless stuff. Is it time to implement
robo-moderation? You decide!

I can surely see the need for moderation in the two groups you
moderate (one of which I often reed, as you probably know.)

But here I just wish people were reliable about putting OT at the
start of the subject line and ALSO as the first word in the text, when
it's not about home repair. On principle, I rarely reply to an
off-topic post that isn't correctly labeled OT.

I see newsgroups as more of a community, for discussing things that
interest people, and there are a lot of topics I fined interesting for
which either A) no active newsgroup is it on topic , B) I don't want
to hunt for a newsgroup just to ask one question, C) If I ask one
question on another newsgroup, I won't know of those who answer, who
is a crackpot, who is an idiot, who makes up "facts" versus those
whose opinion is usually correct and at least sensible and based on
facts.

Even the political discussions here, which have some malarkey and some
obnoxiousness are, afaict, more sensible than in political newsgroups
which have large numbers of idiot ideologues on both or all sides.

Benefits:
Minimal garbage (No SPAM and mimimal other stuff)
A pre-approved list of posters
A burn-before-read list of ******s
both lists are subject to change.

I have filters in my software to remove the few real ******s and
vulgar people who post here.

Problem:
Lots of posts from people who are not on either list

Yes, there seem to be a lot of new visitors here, who have a new
problem with their home repair.

Costs:
Volunteer co-moderators to approve posts from people who are not on either list.
Voluntary donations to cover server costs.
Volunteer to deal directly with ******s

When I went to Australia in November 2007, Misc.Taxes.Moderated went
to robo-moderation and now requires less than an hour a week of my
time. It was always SPAM & garbage free. Nothing has changed.

We really don't get that much spam or garbage here, and because the
topic here, home repair, is ethnic or religious, we get few if any
hate posts. Normal spam is not that much and not a problem. It's
hate that I hate.

Dick

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dick Adams wrote:
In my rarely humble opinion, alt.home.repair is the best
of the USENET newsgroups. Unfortunately, it suffers from
spam and other worthless stuff. Is it time to implement
robo-moderation? You decide!

When I went to Australia in November 2007, Misc.Taxes.Moderated went
to robo-moderation and now requires less than an hour a week of my
time. It was always SPAM & garbage free. Nothing has changed.

Richard D. Adams, CPA
Moderator: Misc.Taxes.Moderated
Moderator: Misc.Legal.Moderated

I think that's an interesting question, and I have some thoughts and
questions of my own regarding the idea.

How difficult would it be to create an alt.home.repair.moderated newsgroup?
How is that done? And, if I were to set up a similar moderated newsgroup
(not related to alt.home.repair), with me as one of the moderators, where
could I find out about getting the robo-moderation software you mentioned
and how to set it up and use it?

Overall, I agree that this alt.home.repair newsgroup is one of the best
Usenet newsgroups around. I use it all the time along with a very few
others. I have seen other newsgroups get overrun with nonsense to the point
that either the newsgroup rarely has any on-point posts among the mass of
off-topic posts (such at rec.boats that I used to frequent), or they get
completely annihilated by spammers such as at the
alt.social-security-disability newsgroup (that one used to be great but got
killed off by some relentless psycho). And, I see a trend here of more and
more people posting political opinions, off-topic articles, etc. and I
wonder if eventually this group will go the way of groups like rec.boats.
Some of the people who post political and off-topic opinion crap at
rec.boats and help make it become useless are posting the same stuff here
more and more.

I do use Misc.Taxes.Moderated and Misc.Legal.Moderated from time to time.
They are excellent in the sense that there is no crap on either group. But,
robo-moderation or not, the reality is that it takes a long time for new
posts to appear on those groups -- often a few days or more. I know that
you are a volunteer moderator there, and your criteria regarding moderation
seems to work well. But, for some reason, new posts only appear every few
days or so. That makes me think that the robo-moderation part isn't working
well. I only post anonymously on any newsgroups, and many others do the
same. Maybe that's why the robo-moderation doesn't work, meaning maybe
anonymous posters like me can't get "whitelisted" -- I don't know.

Can the robo-moderation software for any newsgroup be set up so that all
posts are whitelisted until there is a problem poster, and then only the
problem poster get blacklisted and moderated before their posts go through?
And, can the robo-moderation software be set up to moderate/blacklist
certain MAC ID numbers rather than just the poster's username and/or email
address? That way, people who just keep changing their name to post
complete sick and malicious crap from the same computer would get
automatically blacklisted.

Thanks. I look forward to your reply and feedback.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dick Adams wrote:
In my rarely humble opinion, alt.home.repair is the best
of the USENET newsgroups. Unfortunately, it suffers from
spam and other worthless stuff. Is it time to implement
robo-moderation?

To: Dick Adams

You started this thread, and I wrote the following in response. Any chance
that you will follow up on your original post with any additional
information etc. in response to what I and/or others wrote? Thanks.

Here's what I wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"TomR" wrote in :

To: Dick Adams

You started this thread, and I wrote the following in response. Any
chance that you will follow up on your original post with any
additional information etc. in response to what I and/or others wrote?

If you want a reply, you must refer to him as "esteemed moderator". Now
that you have been reminded, he may reply.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12 Nov 2012 23:07:39 GMT, MurphyM wrote:

"TomR" wrote in :

To: Dick Adams

You started this thread, and I wrote the following in response. Any
chance that you will follow up on your original post with any
additional information etc. in response to what I and/or others wrote?

If you want a reply, you must refer to him as "esteemed moderator". Now
that you have been reminded, he may reply.

Instead of "esteemed moderator" can he be addressed as "hall
monitor'?
Posted to alt.home.repair

MurphyM wrote:
"TomR" wrote in :

To: Dick Adams

You started this thread, and I wrote the following in response. Any
chance that you will follow up on your original post with any
additional information etc. in response to what I and/or others
wrote?

If you want a reply, you must refer to him as "esteemed moderator".
Now that you have been reminded, he may reply.

It may be that some of the totally unnecessary personal attack posts caused
him to not want to bother getting back into the discussion.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"TomR" wrote in :

MurphyM wrote:
"TomR" wrote in :

To: Dick Adams

You started this thread, and I wrote the following in response. Any
chance that you will follow up on your original post with any
additional information etc. in response to what I and/or others
wrote?

If you want a reply, you must refer to him as "esteemed moderator".
Now that you have been reminded, he may reply.

It may be that some of the totally unnecessary personal attack posts
caused him to not want to bother getting back into the discussion.

Or it may be that he is smart enough to realize that there isn't much
interest here in A.H.R. for an "esteemed moderator" style of moderation. I
can't imagine that type of autocratic dictatorial nit-picking moderation
and the concomitant fawning toady posting style of participants would
appeal to many people here. In comparison A.H.R. is the wild-west. Go to
misc.taxes.moderated and do a search on the term "esteemed moderator" and
see what I mean.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/12/2012 6:34 PM, TomR wrote:
MurphyM wrote:
"TomR" wrote in :

To: Dick Adams

You started this thread, and I wrote the following in response. Any
chance that you will follow up on your original post with any
additional information etc. in response to what I and/or others
wrote?

If you want a reply, you must refer to him as "esteemed moderator".
Now that you have been reminded, he may reply.

It may be that some of the totally unnecessary personal attack posts caused
him to not want to bother getting back into the discussion.

If he doesn't like what certain people have to say, he can filter
them. But he doesn't want to control his actions, he wants to control
other people's. That's the issue here.

Filters are for people who want to take charge of what they read.
Moderators are for people who want to take charge of what everybody reads.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11-13-2012 08:46, MurphyM wrote:
can't imagine that type of autocratic dictatorial nit-picking moderation
and the concomitant fawning toady posting style of participants would
appeal to many people here. In comparison A.H.R. is the wild-west. Go to
misc.taxes.moderated and do a search on the term "esteemed moderator" and
see what I mean.

As an "outsider," I wouldn't be able to reliably distinguish between
sarcasm and fawning without lurking far longer than my interest could
handle, i.e., about thirty seconds.

--
Wes Groleau

Nobody believes a theoretical analysis €” except the guy who did it.
Everybody believes an experimental analysis €” except the guy who did it.
€” Unknown

Posted to alt.home.repair

TomR wrote:
Dick Adams wrote:

In my rarely humble opinion, alt.home.repair is the best
of the USENET newsgroups. Unfortunately, it suffers from
spam and other worthless stuff. Is it time to implement
robo-moderation? You decide!

I think that's an interesting question, and I have some thoughts and
questions of my own regarding the idea.

How difficult would it be to create an alt.home.repair.moderated newsgroup?
How is that done? And, if I were to set up a similar moderated newsgroup
(not related to alt.home.repair), with me as one of the moderators, where
could I find out about getting the robo-moderation software you mentioned
and how to set it up and use it? ....

To get a moderated USENET newsgroup, you have to prepare a charter
and have it put to a vote. I will ask my robo guy to send you an
e-mail,

Maybe that's why the robo-moderation doesn't work, meaning maybe
anonymous posters like me can't get "whitelisted" -- I don't know.

I always take exception to the terms 'white list' and' black list'.
My lists are 'Marginally Sane' and 'Burn Before Read'.

Dick

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yep, and I'm free not to go there. I don't like the idea of a
moderator. Will we have to wear brown shirts when posting?

You'd only wear a brown shirt if you're a brown shirt kind of guy.
Moderation is not censorship and censorship is not moderation.

As Moe wrote "Usenet newsgroups are like hanging out in a bar ...".
That's an excellent analogy because as you like it, it's your kind
of bar - and that's what counts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

MurphyM wrote:

I see what you want. Your're the guy who loves to have posters in M.T.M
refer to you as "esteemed moderator" and who loves to remind people that
your word is law.

If anyone is considering this suggestion, go to M.T.M and take a look at
how this guy "moderates". It's a classic example of a man without a dick
(no coincidence there) trying to make people he has one.

There are people who are polite and the are people who are ignorant. It's
been a rare day over the past 17 years that a submission was rejected except
for being illegal, spam, or an ad hominum attack. Insulting people is not
one of the ways to make friends and influence people.

Dick
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/13/2012 8:57 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

Filters are for people who want to take charge of what they read.
Moderators are for people who want to take charge of what everybody reads.

I lurk here, but I often post in misc.legal.moderated. I take your
comments as objection to moderation in general, not to Dick's work in
particular. If I'm wrong about that, please correct me. FWIW, Dick
does a fine job of moderating M.L.M.

Your statements, while nice sound bites, are misleading. Moderation is
actually a form of filtering. It's intelligent and is essentially done
at the server level.

The root of your objection to moderation seems to be that you don't get
to control the filtering. That's a legitimate concern, but you should
consider the upside too -- which is that many readers are uninterested
(or unable) to implement or effectively manage their own filters. That
impacts a newsgroup as a whole because spam and trolls drive away
potential contributors to the newsgroup. And moderation -- when done
properly -- only blocks junk mail. So by opposing moderation, what you
are really doing is goring everyone else's oxen to preserve your own
sense of freedom.

Robo Plow, cool metal project Randy Metalworking 7 March 19th 10 03:53 PM
Moderation please dicegeorge UK diy 110 December 4th 07 10:27 AM
r.p.m moderation policy Lo©ust-101 Woodworking 0 January 11th 07 02:25 AM
Oland Tool: for Robo Hippy Darrell Feltmate Woodturning 18 September 13th 06 01:48 PM
Robo laser torpedo level flaw gypsyjack Metalworking 1 March 12th 05 02:12 PM