Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Moderation please

is it possible to have this list moderated a bit please,
not censorship
but the deleting of off topic messages
and adverts and spam...
i know it means a bit of work for someone
and some delays in getting emails
but its not like we're emailing cos of a house on fire,
so delays are ok,
there seems to be more and more off topic spam on here,
if i want to debate religion i will find a group to debate it
this is the tool room not the church or the brothel or the shop!

what do others think?

[george]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:
On 29 Nov, 20:26, dicegeorge wrote:
is it possible to have this list moderated a bit please,
not censorship
but the deleting of off topic messages
and adverts and spam...
i know it means a bit of work for someone
and some delays in getting emails
but its not like we're emailing cos of a house on fire,
so delays are ok,
there seems to be more and more off topic spam on here,
if i want to debate religion i will find a group to debate it
this is the tool room not the church or the brothel or the shop!

what do others think?

[george]

Agreed
Rob

I don't think its possible on this sort of group. I run a few Yahoo Groups
where it is possible and spam can be controlled. Personally I reckon a DIY
Yahoo Group would be a good idea.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 12:26:43 -0800 (PST), dicegeorge wrote:

is it possible to have this list moderated a bit please,
not censorship
but the deleting of off topic messages
and adverts and spam...
i know it means a bit of work for someone
and some delays in getting emails
but its not like we're emailing cos of a house on fire,
so delays are ok,
there seems to be more and more off topic spam on here,
if i want to debate religion i will find a group to debate it
this is the tool room not the church or the brothel or the shop!

Not possible - this newsgroup is unmoderated. Why not try killfiling
people/subjects you don't wish to see ? Having said that, I don't know if
that's possible using Google - if it isn't, why not try using a proper
newsreader ?
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 20:47:22 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

I don't think its possible on this sort of group. I run a few Yahoo Groups
where it is possible and spam can be controlled. Personally I reckon a DIY
Yahoo Group would be a good idea.

Yuk :-( You jest I hope !
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Nov, 20:26, dicegeorge wrote:
is it possible to have this list moderated a bit please,
not censorship
but the deleting of off topic messages
and adverts and spam...
i know it means a bit of work for someone
and some delays in getting emails
but its not like we're emailing cos of a house on fire,
so delays are ok,
there seems to be more and more off topic spam on here,
if i want to debate religion i will find a group to debate it
this is the tool room not the church or the brothel or the shop!

Yeah,but...this is a bit of a community, not just a forum for
discussing DIY. Sometimes it's nice to have OT discussions too. I
certainly enjoy finding out what other people on here think about non-
DIY subjects too.

....and the delete button is very easy to use!
Jon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dicegeorge" wrote in message
is it possible to have this list moderated a bit please,
not censorship
but the deleting of off topic messages
and adverts and spam...
i know it means a bit of work for someone
and some delays in getting emails
but its not like we're emailing cos of a house on fire,
so delays are ok,
there seems to be more and more off topic spam on here,
if i want to debate religion i will find a group to debate it
this is the tool room not the church or the brothel or the shop!

what do others think?

I think you don't understand what sort of list you're posting to. This is
usenet, not a web forum. One of the reasons it succeeds is because there's
no moderation.

It's easy enough to ignore messages, even through google groups. Just don't
read stuff which isn't of interest.

chluve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dicegeorge wrote:
is it possible to have this list moderated a bit please,

No.

not censorship
but the deleting of off topic messages
and adverts and spam...
i know it means a bit of work for someone
and some delays in getting emails
but its not like we're emailing cos of a house on fire,
so delays are ok,
there seems to be more and more off topic spam on here,
if i want to debate religion i will find a group to debate it
this is the tool room not the church or the brothel or the shop!

what do others think?

It cannot be done effectively on Usenet.

[george]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

I don't think its possible on this sort of group. I run a few Yahoo Groups
where it is possible and spam can be controlled. Personally I reckon a DIY
Yahoo Group would be a good idea.

Personally I loath web based fora... much rather have proper newsreader
access.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/2007 20:26, dicegeorge wrote:

is it possible to have this list moderated a bit please,
what do others think?

I think you don't realise how usenet works (much as we'd all like less
spam/religion/whatever).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Personally I reckon a DIY
Yahoo Group would be a good idea.

-1

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hugh Jampton wrote:
On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 12:26:43 -0800 (PST), dicegeorge wrote:

is it possible to have this list moderated a bit please,
not censorship
but the deleting of off topic messages
and adverts and spam...
i know it means a bit of work for someone
and some delays in getting emails
but its not like we're emailing cos of a house on fire,
so delays are ok,
there seems to be more and more off topic spam on here,
if i want to debate religion i will find a group to debate it
this is the tool room not the church or the brothel or the shop!

Not possible - this newsgroup is unmoderated. Why not try killfiling
people/subjects you don't wish to see ? Having said that, I don't know if
that's possible using Google - if it isn't, why not try using a proper
newsreader ?

Agreed - I have just a few filters set up looking for keywords in the
subject field: one clobbers mohammed/muhammed/islam/allah/muslim;
another one does $$$/xxx/penis/****/porn; one for nike, and last but not
least, MI5 persecution.

That reduces the amount of junk coming through enormously.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dicegeorge wrote:

is it possible to have this list moderated a bit please,

No, not at all really (not through lack of will, but more down to
technical limitations).

not censorship
but the deleting of off topic messages
and adverts and spam...

Yes you can do this, but you are starting from the wrong place since you
are using google to access usenet. Its great for searching old articles,
but not so good for actively following a live group.

Try a proper newsreader and news server[1], you will find much of the
spam is deleted before you ever see it. Any that is left can be removed
from view with a single keystroke. You also get full control over how
messages are displayed and threaded. It makes it much simpler to follow
conversations, focus on what interests you and ignore what does not.

i know it means a bit of work for someone
and some delays in getting emails
but its not like we're emailing cos of a house on fire,
so delays are ok,

I disagree - part of the attraction of the group for me is that you get
very fast feedback and can have multiway exchanges in the space of minutes.

there seems to be more and more off topic spam on here,

If you have it all correctly threaded, and could simply hit "k" any time
you saw a thread that did not interest you, you find it far more palatable.

To be fair, a tolerance of a certain amount of off topic ness makes the
group more rewarding IME. You can come here and ask all sorts of
questions and know you will get a common sense answer, even if not
strictly DIY related. I often learn most when threads drift off topic
into new areas.

if i want to debate religion i will find a group to debate it
this is the tool room not the church or the brothel or the shop!

what do others think?

This comes up from time to time... the answer always seems to come down
to what we have is not perfect, but it is preferable to the alternatives.

[1] Your internet access seems to come through entanet. They appear to
have a server that responds to a ping on news.enta.net It might be worth
pointing Thunderbird at that and seeing if it is a live news feed.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

i get digests coming in 215 a time into my inbox,
then i can click them and get posts by topics in google groups in my
browser..

didnt know theres a usenet way in,
ive never used usenet,
theres a news thingy in outlook express but ive never used it...

how?

[g]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

I don't think its possible on this sort of group. I run a few Yahoo Groups
where it is possible and spam can be controlled. Personally I reckon a DIY
Yahoo Group would be a good idea.

It isn't possible. And this group is far better than some of the ones I
watch. At least *most* of the posts are relevant.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 12:26:43 -0800, dicegeorge wrote:

is it possible to have this list moderated a bit please, not censorship
but the deleting of off topic messages and adverts and spam...
i know it means a bit of work for someone and some delays in getting
emails
but its not like we're emailing cos of a house on fire, so delays are
ok,
there seems to be more and more off topic spam on here, if i want to
debate religion i will find a group to debate it this is the tool room
not the church or the brothel or the shop!

what do others think?

[george]

This is an /unmoderated/ USENET Newsgroup.
There is no charter let alone a moderator.

Yes, we have had a bit more spam of late. Because USENET is a somewhat
archaic protocol we have to a large extent been left alone from the
bleeding edge of bulk posts. Complaining to the offenders ISP is frankly
"deck chairs on the titanic". So you just need a good enough news-reader
to skip over the spam and the ding dong threads. And of course the
resident troll. (Every online community has its pillock).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
dicegeorge writes
is it possible to have this list moderated a bit please,

The short answer (and the long one) is No

Its an unmoderated group

nobody has the authority to decide what should be posted here, the only
redress you have is to complain to the ISP of commercial posters

If you want to try and get the nike******'s account pulled, go and do it
yourself (see title of the newsgroup)

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dicegeorge wrote:
i get digests coming in 215 a time into my inbox,
then i can click them and get posts by topics in google groups in my
browser..

didnt know theres a usenet way in,
ive never used usenet,
theres a news thingy in outlook express but ive never used it...

how?

How to....
Find the name of your ISPs news server. (You can also get separate paid for
ones but most real ISPs have them.) This should be on it's set up page.
Then go ToolsAccountsNews and enter your details. It is recommended that
you "mung" your email address by putting an easily noticed spoiler in it.
(See mine.)
Outlook Exp will then ask if you want to get the available news groups - as
the Usenet is so large this can take a while...
Now chose the groups you want to join - Set the synchronization settings (I
recommend you download 'headers only')
After that it should be self evident.

You will find the Usenet is FAR better than forums!

Slatts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dicegeorge wrote:

i get digests coming in 215 a time into my inbox,
then i can click them and get posts by topics in google groups in my
browser..

Yup, ok if you have no alternative, but far from ideal.

didnt know theres a usenet way in,
ive never used usenet,

Usenet predates the web (in fact predates the Internet!) by several years.

theres a news thingy in outlook express but ive never used it...

how?

OE, will work ok, although there are better free alternatives.
Thunderbird (www.mozilla.com) should feel fairly similar but is a little
more capable.

To set it up you just need to know the name of your ISPs news server -
in you case you could try the one I mentioned before. Go to the
Accounts... option on the tools menu, and click Add account. Fill in the
bits asked for. Once you have that set you can have it get the list of
groups (beware there are over 100 of thousand on usenet now) and
subscribe to the ones you want.

If it turns out your ISP does not have a server there are some on the
net you can access for a token fee like news.individual.net

(email me if you want more guidance on setup)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Sla#s
writes
dicegeorge wrote:
i get digests coming in 215 a time into my inbox,
then i can click them and get posts by topics in google groups in my
browser..

didnt know theres a usenet way in,
ive never used usenet,
theres a news thingy in outlook express but ive never used it...

how?

How to....
Find the name of your ISPs news server. (You can also get separate paid
for ones but most real ISPs have them.) This should be on it's set up
page.

or

http://www.motzarella.org/

or the german server

Then go ToolsAccountsNews and enter your details. It is recommended
that you "mung" your email address by putting an easily noticed spoiler
in it. (See mine.)

Or go to Mozilla and download thunderbird

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/

Outlook Exp will then ask if you want to get the available news groups
- as the Usenet is so large this can take a while...
Now chose the groups you want to join - Set the synchronization
settings (I recommend you download 'headers only')
After that it should be self evident.

You will find the Usenet is FAR better than forums!

Slatts

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 21:51:22 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

Hugh Jampton wrote:
[...]

'meds' is another one to KF...

In fact almost anything with '$' is worth killfiling.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dicegeorge" wrote in message
is it possible to have this list moderated a bit please,
and some delays in getting emails

Sounds like you are reading NNTP via Email.

Email based mailing-lists & web-forums can implement
moderation, but on USENET it is not a practical solution.

Even on mailing-lists & web-forums, true moderation is
undesireable because it introduces significant latency which
destroys conversational interaction & limits contribution.

Web-forums instead tend to implement filtering based on
user reports, outsourcing the task to whoever sees it first.
Click "report to moderator" gets offending posts deleted.
As such it requires little moderator effort or latency.

Change how you view uk.d-i-y by using an NNTP client
(Newsreader) or view it via one of the web forums (HTTP).
NTTP clients can filter spam by subject keywords or size,
web forums can implement similar filtering (automatically).

They always said NNTP was dead in the mid 1990s, but
it seems to survive quite well - depends on subject area.

uk.d-i-y can be frightening at times re questions.
However its real asset is the ability to use www.deja.com
(Google :-) to search through the past and be able to see
questions, answers. It allows notices to assess their own
skills because they don't know what they don't know and
that can be the most dangerous. Learning never stops.

Might stop some trying Ŗ20 chainsaws as "safe-n-cheap".
Answers may be wrong, but that is a risk with Usenet in
providing answers from demolish (saniflow) to unvented.

So if you can get HTTP access consider using Google.
That way you can not only read groups, but search. A
purely NTTP experience via email/webforum is limited.
--
DB.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
dicegeorge wrote:
is it possible to have this list moderated a bit please,
not censorship
but the deleting of off topic messages
and adverts and spam...
i know it means a bit of work for someone
and some delays in getting emails
but its not like we're emailing cos of a house on fire,
so delays are ok,
there seems to be more and more off topic spam on here,
if i want to debate religion i will find a group to debate it
this is the tool room not the church or the brothel or the shop!

what do others think?

This is your first post and it's off topic...

--
*Women who seek to be equal to men lack ambition.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dicegeorge wrote:

is it possible to have this list moderated a bit please,
not censorship
but the deleting of off topic messages
and adverts and spam...
i know it means a bit of work for someone
and some delays in getting emails
but its not like we're emailing cos of a house on fire,
so delays are ok,
there seems to be more and more off topic spam on here,
if i want to debate religion i will find a group to debate it
this is the tool room not the church or the brothel or the shop!

what do others think?

[george]

I think you should learn how to filter your usenet groups. It's easier
if you use a proper newsreader.

Or perhaps we should rename the group UK-DIY-Mohammed.

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 21:14:55 +0000
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

dicegeorge wrote:
is it possible to have this list moderated a bit please,

No.

not censorship
but the deleting of off topic messages
and adverts and spam...
i know it means a bit of work for someone
and some delays in getting emails
but its not like we're emailing cos of a house on fire,
so delays are ok,
there seems to be more and more off topic spam on here,
if i want to debate religion i will find a group to debate it
this is the tool room not the church or the brothel or the shop!

what do others think?

It cannot be done effectively on Usenet.

[george]

Unless you use a proper Usenet Reader.

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 14:37:08 -0800 (PST)
dicegeorge wrote:

i get digests coming in 215 a time into my inbox,
then i can click them and get posts by topics in google groups in my
browser..

didnt know theres a usenet way in,
ive never used usenet,
theres a news thingy in outlook express but ive never used it...

how?

[g]

DON'T USE OUTLOOK EXPRESS! It's from Microsoft, and every penny they
earn goes to help destroy the universe :-) It also attracts criminals.

Use a proper Usenet Reader like Forte, or if you want it integrated
into your email: Mozilla Thunderbird or Seamonkey.

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 00:06:03 GMT
"Dorothy Bradbury" wrote:

"dicegeorge" wrote in message
is it possible to have this list moderated a bit please,
and some delays in getting emails

Sounds like you are reading NNTP via Email.

Email based mailing-lists & web-forums can implement
moderation, but on USENET it is not a practical solution.

Not quite true. It depends on the way your usenet reader (aka
nntp-client) works. Some just provide an on-line access to the nntp
server's store - with these there needs to be filter on what it will
display. Others download the news to your machine, and then you can
process the incoming stream to remove stuff permanently.

So it is quite practical, but you need to choose your solution with
care, and since the bandwidth sellers want you to use bandwidth, they
mostly push the on-line access.

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dicegeorge" wrote in message
is it possible to have this list moderated a bit please,
not censorship
but the deleting of off topic messages
and adverts and spam...
i know it means a bit of work for someone
and some delays in getting emails
but its not like we're emailing cos of a house on fire,
so delays are ok,
there seems to be more and more off topic spam on here,
if i want to debate religion i will find a group to debate it
this is the tool room not the church or the brothel or the shop!

what do others think?

[george]

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/moderated-ng-faq/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dicegeorge wrote:
is it possible to have this list moderated a bit please,

No.

not censorship
but the deleting of off topic messages
and adverts and spam...
i know it means a bit of work for someone
and some delays in getting emails
but its not like we're emailing cos of a house on fire,
so delays are ok,
there seems to be more and more off topic spam on here,
if i want to debate religion i will find a group to debate it
this is the tool room not the church or the brothel or the shop!

what do others think?

It cannot be done effectively on Usenet.

[george]

Unless you use a proper Usenet Reader.

It still cannot be done. Moeratin that is.

Kill files are not moderation.

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 12:26:43 -0800, dicegeorge wrote:

what do others think?

This is the uk DIY newsgroup: you're expected to moderate it yourself :-)

--
John Stumbles

My karma ran over my dogma
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheOldFellow wrote:
SNIP
DON'T USE OUTLOOK EXPRESS! It's from Microsoft, and every penny they
earn goes to help destroy the universe :-) It also attracts
criminals.

I've been using OE since I gave up using CS Nav and I've never had a problem
with it.
On advice from newsgroups I tried Thunderbird and Forte but just could not
get on with them and ended up going back to OE. There's nothing wrong with
it... in moderation :-)

Slatts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , TheOldFellow
wrote

Or perhaps we should rename the group UK-DIY-Mohammed.

Surely uk.d-i-y-Teddy

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 17:59:58 +0000
Alan wrote:

In message , TheOldFellow
wrote

Or perhaps we should rename the group UK-DIY-Mohammed.

Surely uk.d-i-y-Teddy

You can't be serious. Think of all the chaps called Edward who would
be terrible upset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

OE will work ok, although there are better free alternatives.
Thunderbird (www.mozilla.com) should feel fairly similar but is a little
more capable.

Well I swapped to Thunderbird from OE (both used as newsreaders only)
about a couple of years ago. Apart from the warm fuzzy glow I get from
using a non-MS product, I can't really claim to see much difference!

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Happy Hunter
writes

"dicegeorge" wrote in message
is it possible to have this list moderated a bit please,
not censorship
but the deleting of off topic messages
and adverts and spam...
i know it means a bit of work for someone
and some delays in getting emails
but its not like we're emailing cos of a house on fire,
so delays are ok,
there seems to be more and more off topic spam on here,
if i want to debate religion i will find a group to debate it
this is the tool room not the church or the brothel or the shop!

what do others think?

[george]

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/moderated-ng-faq/

Well,

1/ I certainly don't want this NG moderated, and

2/ who is going to do it ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from geoff contains these words:

1/ I certainly don't want this NG moderated, and

Neither would I.

2/ who is going to do it ?

I am sure Dribble would be very keen. ;-)

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , Happy Hunter
writes
"dicegeorge" wrote in message...
is it possible to have this list moderated a bit please,
what do others think?

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/moderated-ng-faq/

1/ I certainly don't want this NG moderated, and

2/ who is going to do it ?

AIUI, this group cannot be made 'moderated'. The FAQ link above relates
to non-uk groups, as this is a uk. hierarchy, it is ruled by the UK
Usenet Committee, who would'nt pass such a proposal.

If someone proposes a .moderated group, then it would be debated, then a
vote taken. It would fail without doubt.

A similar thing has happened in the last few years with uk.legal. There
were so many troll postings that it was getting very hard to read
anything decent in there, so a uk.legal.moderated group was proposed and
passed, and both groups are alive and well, the unmoderated group still
full of trolls and 'slagging off' posts, and the .moderated group full
of readable posts.

This group (d-i-y) has very few trolls, and even fewer adverts, so there
is no real need for any moderation.
Alan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

OE will work ok, although there are better free alternatives.
Thunderbird (www.mozilla.com) should feel fairly similar but is a
little more capable.

Well I swapped to Thunderbird from OE (both used as newsreaders only)
about a couple of years ago. Apart from the warm fuzzy glow I get from
using a non-MS product, I can't really claim to see much difference!

To be fair, there are not overwhelming reasons to prefer it - just a
bunch of smaller things. It threads properly and does not get confused
if someone changes a thread title, it does sig blocks correctly and can
quote better (although there is a third party IE fix for this). The
filtering seems more flexible. It does not use IE to render HTML and all
the baggage that brings. It has offline newsgroup access if required.
The storage of messages etc is in a fairly simple and open text format
that is readily shifted in and out of other apps rather than bespoke MS
format files.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheOldFellow wrote:
On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 17:59:58 +0000
Alan wrote:

In message , TheOldFellow
wrote

Or perhaps we should rename the group UK-DIY-Mohammed.

Surely uk.d-i-y-Teddy

You can't be serious. Think of all the chaps called Edward who would
be terrible upset.

Dunno why. The name comes from *Theodore* Roosevelt...

Andy