Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Moderation please

kent wrote:
On Dec 2, 12:20 pm, Si $3o&m wrote:
In message
,
kent writes

If no-one replies to off-topic postings, then they disappear from the
front page in a matter of hours.

What front page? That of Google Groups? That's an idiosyncratic way of
accessing usenet.

--
Si

Please tell me more about this.

We started writing a bit on this the other day... needs work, but some
of the basics are the

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...up_access_tips

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
kent writes
If no-one replies to off-topic postings, then they disappear from the
front page in a matter of hours.

Only for the clueless google groupies

If you are not using the right tool for the job, it's a bit silly making
generalised statements which don't apply to normal people

for those of us using a newsreader, you normally set the expiry (usually
a couple of days)

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
kent writes
On Dec 2, 12:20 pm, Si $3o&m wrote:
In message
,
kent writes

If no-one replies to off-topic postings, then they disappear from the
front page in a matter of hours.

What front page? That of Google Groups? That's an idiosyncratic way of
accessing usenet.

--
Si

Please tell me more about this.

ISTR it was discussed well enough earlier in the thread

oh, it disappeared from yours in a couple of hours ?

google for it in the google group archives then...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message 47526722@qaanaaq, Andy Hall writes
On 2007-12-02 01:00:20 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

geoff wrote:
In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes
At least Mohammed is on-topic. He made up his own religion and
then sold it to people (at sword point mostly) - you don't get more
DIY than that.
R.
He didn't make it up. Its a straight adaption of Judaism. Just Like
Christianity. Judaism with Part 'P' ;-)
Well, it's a pick and mix of several religions, xtianity included

At least Jesus was a carpenter...
Well, a tradesman, I think is the currently accepted translation
the Nazareth Handyman

Oi!

Don't feel bad about it - it was said "Can anything good come from Nazareth?"

That hasn't changed in millennia - it's still just as bad - doesn't
even have an esplanade......

yeah, but better magicians ...

walking on water, raising the dead, water into wine,

they could pull a proper rabbit out of a hat in those days in front of
an audience of 5000

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John Stumbles
writes
On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 20:19:26 +0000, geoff wrote:

Well, a tradesman, I think is the currently accepted translation

TradesPERSON, purleease! :-)

I don't subscribe to this new PC culture

anyway "man" in that case covers both genders, it always has (as in
German), it's only the PC crowd who don't actually understand the
correct use of English who fall for this wank

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...up_access_tips

--
Cheers,

John.

aha - i didnt know about the newsnet method,
am trying to get my ISP to let me use usenet news,
i stumbled into this group through a google search,
and have only used yahoo groups before,
i now see that this is a different animal,
clicking links in emails like
* Moderation please - 4 messages, 3 authors
http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-...ef257?hl=en-GB
is a bit annoying...

and yes , the moderation i was suggesting was as in yahoo groups
where new members are put on moderation
then removed from moderation
when theyve proved themselves to be on-topic-ish
and yes it does take up someones time

thanks

[george]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-12-02 01:00:20 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

geoff wrote:
In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes
At least Mohammed is on-topic. He made up his own religion and
then sold it to people (at sword point mostly) - you don't get
more DIY than that.
R.
He didn't make it up. Its a straight adaption of Judaism. Just
Like Christianity. Judaism with Part 'P' ;-)
Well, it's a pick and mix of several religions, xtianity included

At least Jesus was a carpenter...
Well, a tradesman, I think is the currently accepted translation
the Nazareth Handyman
Oi!

Don't feel bad about it - it was said "Can anything good come from
Nazareth?" That hasn't changed in millennia - it's still just as bad -
doesn't
even have an esplanade......

yeah, but better magicians ...

Oi! Again!

walking on water, raising the dead, water into wine,

I can turn wine into water very effectively.............

they could pull a proper rabbit out of a hat in those days in front of
an audience of 5000

Nah. Wasn't that the loaves & fishes trick? (I reckon they were up his
sleeve).

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , John Stumbles
writes
On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 20:19:26 +0000, geoff wrote:

Well, a tradesman, I think is the currently accepted translation

TradesPERSON, purleease! :-)

I don't subscribe to this new PC culture

anyway "man" in that case covers both genders, it always has (as in
German), it's only the PC crowd who don't actually understand the
correct use of English who fall for this wank

I have the odd wind up with some people over the term 'manageress'. Its not
really a proper word, manager comes from 'mana' meaning 'guiding hand' or
similar, its not a gender specific word.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article The Medway
Handyman wrote:

I have the odd wind up with some people over the term 'manageress'. *Its
not really a proper word, manager comes from 'mana' meaning 'guiding hand'
or similar, its not a gender specific word.

But in due cource the PC brigade will want to replace "manager"
with "personer" despite this.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mike Clarke
writes
In article The Medway
Handyman wrote:

I have the odd wind up with some people over the term 'manageress'. *Its
not really a proper word, manager comes from 'mana' meaning 'guiding hand'
or similar, its not a gender specific word.

But in due cource the PC brigade will want to replace "manager"
with "personer" despite this.

But that would indicate that one is elevated above the other

.... can't have that, can you ?

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-12-02 17:31:02 +0000, Mike Clarke said:

In article The Medway
Handyman wrote:

I have the odd wind up with some people over the term 'manageress'. *Its
not really a proper word, manager comes from 'mana' meaning 'guiding hand'
or similar, its not a gender specific word.

But in due cource the PC brigade will want to replace "manager"
with "personer" despite this.

It'll be OK. Think in terms of man-ager, then women are covered too.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 08:04:50 +0000
Andy Hall wrote:

Don't feel bad about it - it was said "Can anything good come from Nazareth?"

Especially now that the Israelis have surrounded it with a bloody great
wall.

R. +
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 09:54:32 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Not true IME. I run the worlds largest Yahoo group for mentalists (the
branch of magic devoted to simulated mind reading - Derren Brown stuff
in a nutshell). It has 350+ members worldwide.

The one I co-moderate has over 2000 members world wide.

Reading's Freecycle group claims over 7K members and it's probbaly not the
largest. They're run as Yahoo groups, and moderated.

So yah boo to you guys ;-)

--
John Stumbles

I'm less competitive than you
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:
On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 09:54:32 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Not true IME. I run the worlds largest Yahoo group for mentalists (the
branch of magic devoted to simulated mind reading - Derren Brown stuff
in a nutshell). It has 350+ members worldwide.

The one I co-moderate has over 2000 members world wide.

Reading's Freecycle group claims over 7K members and it's probbaly not the
largest. They're run as Yahoo groups, and moderated.

So yah boo to you guys ;-)

It's not the members, but the traffic. 338 messages in the last week (=
48 per day) is a rather lower level than we get here. We've had 45 in
the last 3 hours!

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

There's a story I like about a shrink[1] in a loon^H^H^Hmental hospital.
One of his patients claimed to be Jesus, so the shrink says "I understand
you're a carpenter?". The patient has to admit that he is, so the shrink
puts him to work to make some shelves for his office.

[1] Milton Ericsson, for those to whom the name means anything.

The spelling is Milton Erickson in this case, & FWIW he'd have hated
to be described as a 'shrink' - rather the founder of modern clinical
hypnosis.
/pedant

A variant on this approach is that the 'shrink' comes in with wood,
nails and tools, and starts sawing and hammering away. "What are you
making?", says the patient. "Oh, it's a cross..." says the other ...

J^n

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, jkn
writes
There's a story I like about a shrink[1] in a loon^H^H^Hmental hospital.
One of his patients claimed to be Jesus, so the shrink says "I understand
you're a carpenter?". The patient has to admit that he is, so the shrink
puts him to work to make some shelves for his office.

[1] Milton Ericsson, for those to whom the name means anything.

The spelling is Milton Erickson in this case, & FWIW he'd have hated
to be described as a 'shrink' - rather the founder of modern clinical
hypnosis.
/pedant

A variant on this approach is that the 'shrink' comes in with wood,
nails and tools, and starts sawing and hammering away. "What are you
making?", says the patient. "Oh, it's a cross..." says the other ...

Jesus walks into a hotel, slaps some nails down on the counter and asks

"can you put me up for the night ?"

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-12-03 00:35:13 +0000, geoff said:

In message
, jkn
writes
There's a story I like about a shrink[1] in a loon^H^H^Hmental hospital.
One of his patients claimed to be Jesus, so the shrink says "I understand
you're a carpenter?". The patient has to admit that he is, so the shrink
puts him to work to make some shelves for his office.

[1] Milton Ericsson, for those to whom the name means anything.

The spelling is Milton Erickson in this case, & FWIW he'd have hated
to be described as a 'shrink' - rather the founder of modern clinical
hypnosis.
/pedant

A variant on this approach is that the 'shrink' comes in with wood,
nails and tools, and starts sawing and hammering away. "What are you
making?", says the patient. "Oh, it's a cross..." says the other ...

Jesus walks into a hotel, slaps some nails down on the counter and asks ..

"can you put me up for the night ?"

Not any more. He went to B&Q first

http://tinyurl.com/3d5zb4

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 16:05:30 -0800, jkn wrote:

[1] Milton Ericsson, for those to whom the name means anything.

The spelling is Milton Erickson in this case

Oops, my bad

A variant on this approach is that the 'shrink' comes in with wood,
nails and tools, and starts sawing and hammering away. "What are you
making?", says the patient. "Oh, it's a cross..." says the other ...

Bandler, I think?

--
John Stumbles
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message 47539938@qaanaaq, Andy Hall writes
On 2007-12-03 00:35:13 +0000, geoff said:

In message
,
jkn writes
[...]

No, you're mixing it up with him hanging around for easter

I've had that on my office wall for about 5 years now ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-12-03 19:27:57 +0000, geoff said:

Jesus walks into a hotel, slaps some nails down on the counter and asks ..
"can you put me up for the night ?"

Not any more. He went to B&Q first

http://tinyurl.com/3d5zb4

No, you're mixing it up with him hanging around for easter

I've had that on my office wall for about 5 years now ...

Have you been reported to the religious police yet?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message 47545b47@qaanaaq, Andy Hall writes
On 2007-12-03 19:27:57 +0000, geoff said:

Jesus walks into a hotel, slaps some nails down on the counter and
asks ..
"can you put me up for the night ?"
Not any more. He went to B&Q first
http://tinyurl.com/3d5zb4

No, you're mixing it up with him hanging around for easter
I've had that on my office wall for about 5 years now ...

Have you been reported to the religious police yet?

I have worse ...

.... and some religious customers (incl a jehova's witness)

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-12-03 19:27:57 +0000, geoff said:

Jesus walks into a hotel, slaps some nails down on the counter and
asks ..
"can you put me up for the night ?"
Not any more. He went to B&Q first
http://tinyurl.com/3d5zb4

No, you're mixing it up with him hanging around for easter
I've had that on my office wall for about 5 years now ...

Have you been reported to the religious police yet?

I have worse ...

... and some religious customers (incl a jehova's witness)

I was considering becoming a Jehovah's Witness, but I didn't want to get
involved - so I became a Jehova's Bystander instead.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-12-03 22:22:55 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"

On 2007-12-03 19:27:57 +0000, geoff said:

Jesus walks into a hotel, slaps some nails down on the counter and
asks ..
"can you put me up for the night ?"
Not any more. He went to B&Q first
http://tinyurl.com/3d5zb4

No, you're mixing it up with him hanging around for easter
I've had that on my office wall for about 5 years now ...

Have you been reported to the religious police yet?

I have worse ...

... and some religious customers (incl a jehova's witness)

I was considering becoming a Jehovah's Witness, but I didn't want to get
involved - so I became a Jehova's Bystander instead.

As Rowan Atkinson would say:

"Thy one liners are as good as thy tricks - thou art an all round
family entertainer"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
In message 47545b47@qaanaaq, Andy Hall writes

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-12-03 22:22:55 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"

On 2007-12-03 19:27:57 +0000, geoff said:

Jesus walks into a hotel, slaps some nails down on the counter
and asks ..
"can you put me up for the night ?"
Not any more. He went to B&Q first
http://tinyurl.com/3d5zb4

No, you're mixing it up with him hanging around for easter
I've had that on my office wall for about 5 years now ...

Have you been reported to the religious police yet?

I have worse ...

... and some religious customers (incl a jehova's witness)

I was considering becoming a Jehovah's Witness, but I didn't want to
get involved - so I became a Jehova's Bystander instead.

As Rowan Atkinson would say:

"Thy one liners are as good as thy tricks - thou art an all round
family entertainer"

Why thank you sir :-)

I did once write a compilation of ones liners & put downs for magicians - do
you want a copy? If I can find it?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
On 2007-12-03 22:22:55 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"

On 2007-12-03 19:27:57 +0000, geoff said:

[...]

Sounds interesting

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
On 2007-12-03 22:22:55 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"

On 2007-12-03 19:27:57 +0000, geoff said:

[...]

Happy to post it somewhere. Its a Word document IIRC, fairly big. Could
photobucket handle it or somewhere else? 300 kb?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
geoff wrote:
In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
On 2007-12-03 22:22:55 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"

On 2007-12-03 19:27:57 +0000, geoff said:

[...]

dunno - email it

my email is, as always, valid

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

I did once write a compilation of ones liners & put downs for magicians - do
you want a copy? If I can find it?

Sounds like fun - I do like a good put down! ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Happy to post it somewhere. Its a Word document IIRC, fairly big. Could
photobucket handle it or somewhere else? 300 kb?

Lob a copy this way and I will PDF it for you...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
geoff wrote:
In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
On 2007-12-03 22:22:55 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"