Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Oland Tool: for Robo Hippy

RH
This might help explain what happens with the Oland tool. My apologies for
the page, I need to rewrite a lot of the early ones.
http://aroundthewoods.com/oland.shtml#ol1

______
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS, Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I need to see one in person. It looks like a scraper of sorts, and is
applied at a scraping angle rather than at a shear angle. I really
don't need another few tools, but then sometimes need has nothing to do
with it. Curiosity is everything.

p.s. actually, I am more like Fessig rather than ROUS's
robo hippy
Darrell Feltmate wrote:
RH
This might help explain what happens with the Oland tool. My apologies for
the page, I need to rewrite a lot of the early ones.
http://aroundthewoods.com/oland.shtml#ol1

______
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS, Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 9 Sep 2006 07:42:32 -0700, "robo hippy" wrote:

I need to see one in person. It looks like a scraper of sorts, and is
applied at a scraping angle rather than at a shear angle. I really
don't need another few tools, but then sometimes need has nothing to do
with it. Curiosity is everything.

p.s. actually, I am more like Fessig rather than ROUS's
robo hippy

Try it Reed, You'll like it... *g*

I just made one for my brother and I think my total cost was $5...

I used a 5/8" bolt about 14" long....

Cut off the head and drilled a 3/8" (I think, maybe a bit smaller) in the cut
end about 1 1/2" deep...
Drilled another hole in the side and taped it for a set screw to hold the bit
in...

Turned a handle and drilled and threaded it to fit the threads on the bolt and
screwed it in with a little epoxy on the threads...

Stuck a 2 1/2 x 1/4 x 1/4" HSS blank in and let him put his choice of edge on
it..

the bolt and set screw were about $2...
the HSS blanks are like 5 for $8 or $9 at Harbor Fright..

What I really like about this system is that though I do have a couple of tips
ground to 45 degrees like Darrell suggests, I keep a separate tool handy and
grind it to whatever shape I need at the time... the blanks are inexpensive and
hold an edge well..
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

mac davis wrote:
[...]

And if you hit a nail in a "yard tree" while roughing it doesn't even
blink. Just shaves that sucker down like it was wood. I shudder to think
of doing that with my bowl gouge.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

A penny saved is a penny.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Darrell,
I tried to see the videos but no luck. Tried changing my Windows Media
Player options, still no luck. Any help? And I couldn't make out the details
of the hooks. This seems like something basic I should have known more
about. Maybe I just can't recall stuff as I age.

TomNie

http://aroundthewoods.com/oland.shtml#ol1

______
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS, Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

RH
If you are getting shavings like that from a scraper, I am impressed :-)
Grind the tip straight across and then slightly round it. Lookin at it from
the side it is ground back from the top at 45* Ride the bevel and cut. Watch
the videos and see the tool ride the bevel, handle down at the hip. For
under ten bucks, it's worth trying. I have an even more simple method of
making one that I will get on the net in a week or so.
______
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS, Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com
"robo hippy" wrote in message
ups.com...
Ground to 45 degrees? Like a scraper, 45 back from the top edge? Ground
45 diagonally? I just can't tell from the movies and pictures.
robo hippy

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Tom
You got me. Try right clicking on them and downloading, then playing them
with Windows Media Player. They work fine for me in version 9. If that does
not work I can e-mail them to you. ______
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS, Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com
"Tom Nie" wrote in message
Darrell,
I tried to see the videos but no luck. Tried changing my Windows Media
Player options, still no luck. Any help? And I couldn't make out the

details
of the hooks. This seems like something basic I should have known more
about. Maybe I just can't recall stuff as I age.

TomNie

http://aroundthewoods.com/oland.shtml#ol1

______
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS, Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hey Darrell,
I am very new to turning and have only been lurking on this group for
less than one week. Thanks for putting up a link to your website. I
was not looking for the tool you presented but was very impressed with
the rectangular cherry bowl. That is a nice piece of work. I never
gave any thought to mixing round and rectangular shapes in a turned
project but I thank you for the inspiration.

Marc

Darrell Feltmate wrote:
RH
This might help explain what happens with the Oland tool. My apologies for
the page, I need to rewrite a lot of the early ones.
http://aroundthewoods.com/oland.shtml#ol1

______
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS, Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Marc
I am glad you found the site. I am not sure who started making those square
bowls but I know I was not the first by a hundred years of so. As a newcomer
to turning, here is free advice and worth every penny. Make the grinding jig
if you do not have one already. It will make your turning life far more
enjoyable unless you are a master sharpener. I hope to have the sharpening
page redone in a week or so (famous last words) but the design has not
changed enough to matter. It works a charm and sharp tools make all the
difference in ejoying the turn.
______
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS, Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com
ps.com...

Darrell Feltmate wrote:
RH
This might help explain what happens with the Oland tool. My apologies

for
the page, I need to rewrite a lot of the early ones.
http://aroundthewoods.com/oland.shtml#ol1

______
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS, Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Darrell,
Thanks for getting back. Couldn't use WMP with an AVI but still managed to
see them. OK, back to my being dense. It appears to be a V-shaped cutter.
True? If so, what's the big deal versus any bit in a holder?
TomNie

"Tom Nie" wrote in message
Darrell,
I tried to see the videos but no luck. Tried changing my Windows Media
Player options, still no luck. Any help? And I couldn't make out the

details
of the hooks. This seems like something basic I should have known more
about. Maybe I just can't recall stuff as I age.

TomNie

http://aroundthewoods.com/oland.shtml#ol1

______
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS, Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 08:16:47 -0400, "Tom Nie" wrote:

Darrell,
Thanks for getting back. Couldn't use WMP with an AVI but still managed to
see them. OK, back to my being dense. It appears to be a V-shaped cutter.
True? If so, what's the big deal versus any bit in a holder?
TomNie

I'll jump in here.. my answer is probably different than Derrells..

IMO, all the Oland tool IS just a bit holder... what you do with the bit as far
as grind, size, etc. is up to you..

Derrell uses pretty much the same grind as Oland did, I use whatever works on
what I'm turning...

Hope that helped, or at least didn't add to the confusion.. *g*

Spend some time here, Tom.. interesting lady and great site:

http://www.olandcraft.com/

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I doubt that Oland was the first woodturner to insert a bit into a steel
rod to make a turning tool, but 'Oland Tool' describes the tool as well
as any other name and 'smells just as sweet'.

Darrell prefers the name and to his credit he has popularized this cheap
and effective tool, in particular that it can be a cutting tool as well
as a scraper.

Wow! Olands are more famous than I knew. Nice site, but for most of
their prices I wondered if the decimal was mstakenly moved over to the
right a place or two or three. I reckon it's what the traffic will bear.
I thought Jupiter Island Fl was up scale, but that spendy traffic isn't
on the streets in this area.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Mac,
Thanks. It's clear now. Have to agree with Arch, too.
TomNie

http://www.olandcraft.com/

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Tom,
Since it is now clear, I refuse to add to the confusion. I am good at that
:-) Is that not a great site? http://www.olandcraft.com/ I link to it
several times from my site. WhenI was trying the Oland tool for the first
Lissie was great in giving me a few tips. The way she cores a bowl with a
chain saw still scares me haf to death though.
______
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS, Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com
"Tom Nie" wrote in message
Mac,
Thanks. It's clear now. Have to agree with Arch, too.
TomNie

http://www.olandcraft.com/

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Darrell Feltmate wrote:
Tom
You got me. Try right clicking on them and downloading, then playing them
with Windows Media Player. They work fine for me in version 9. If that does
not work I can e-mail them to you. ______

What videos? I didn't see any links to videos. Am I losing it?

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Kevin

When you go to Darrell's site you got to act like a kid in a candy
store, you got to grab, poke, and look under and over everything. :-))

Yes he has several videos, just short ones, but helpful and fun to see.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Kevin Miller wrote:
Darrell Feltmate wrote:
Tom
You got me. Try right clicking on them and downloading, then playing them
with Windows Media Player. They work fine for me in version 9. If that does
not work I can e-mail them to you. ______

What videos? I didn't see any links to videos. Am I losing it?

...Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska
Registered Linux User No: 307357

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Kevin
Try here.
http://aroundthewoods.com/oland.shtml#ol1

Let me know how the page comes up. I seem to be having a bit of trouble
accessing the CSS files form other than the home page first.
______
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS, Canada