Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Gerald Ross Gerald Ross is offline

Default Oland Tool: for Robo Hippy

mac davis wrote:
On 9 Sep 2006 07:42:32 -0700, "robo hippy" wrote:

I need to see one in person. It looks like a scraper of sorts, and is
applied at a scraping angle rather than at a shear angle. I really
don't need another few tools, but then sometimes need has nothing to do
with it. Curiosity is everything.

p.s. actually, I am more like Fessig rather than ROUS's
robo hippy

Try it Reed, You'll like it... *g*

I just made one for my brother and I think my total cost was $5...

I used a 5/8" bolt about 14" long....

Cut off the head and drilled a 3/8" (I think, maybe a bit smaller) in the cut
end about 1 1/2" deep...
Drilled another hole in the side and taped it for a set screw to hold the bit
in...

Turned a handle and drilled and threaded it to fit the threads on the bolt and
screwed it in with a little epoxy on the threads...

Stuck a 2 1/2 x 1/4 x 1/4" HSS blank in and let him put his choice of edge on
it..

the bolt and set screw were about $2...
the HSS blanks are like 5 for $8 or $9 at Harbor Fright..

What I really like about this system is that though I do have a couple of tips
ground to 45 degrees like Darrell suggests, I keep a separate tool handy and
grind it to whatever shape I need at the time... the blanks are inexpensive and
hold an edge well..
Mac

And if you hit a nail in a "yard tree" while roughing it doesn't even
blink. Just shaves that sucker down like it was wood. I shudder to think
of doing that with my bowl gouge.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA