Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Charging a portable battery pack

I have a portable battery pack that uses a 15V DC pod to charge it. That
pod is currently about 300 miles from where the battery pack is.

Can I use my car battery charger by hooking it up to the clamps on the
battery pack?

If so, I have these specs and these choices. Which should I use?

Battery Pack: 12V/15A

Charger Choices:
6 Amp, Fast Charge, Automotive/Light Truck
4 Amp, Medium Charge, Automotive
2 Amp, Trickle Charge, Lawn Tractor/Motorcycle/ATV

Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

That reminds me, mine needs charging. I usually
use the provided charge plug. As you write, not
an option. I've also used a cord with a lighter
plug on each end. Put the jump pack in the car,
plug into the lighter socket, charge on the way
to and from the store.

Of the options you give, the lowest amp charger
is the one I'd use. Figure for about how long you
guess, based on the pack being charged (guess
how charged it is).

Other option is to clamp onto the battery of a
car that runs, start engine, and idle for 10 minutes.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
I have a portable battery pack that uses a 15V DC
pod to charge it. That pod is currently about 300
miles from where the battery pack is.

Can I use my car battery charger by hooking it up
to the clamps on the battery pack?

If so, I have these specs and these choices. Which
should I use?

Battery Pack: 12V/15A

Charger Choices:
6 Amp, Fast Charge, Automotive/Light Truck
4 Amp, Medium Charge, Automotive
2 Amp, Trickle Charge, Lawn Tractor/Motorcycle/ATV

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
I have a portable battery pack that uses a 15V DC pod to charge it. That
pod is currently about 300 miles from where the battery pack is.

Can I use my car battery charger by hooking it up to the clamps on the battery pack?

If so, I have these specs and these choices. Which should I use?

Battery Pack: 12V/15A

Charger Choices:
6 Amp, Fast Charge, Automotive/Light Truck
4 Amp, Medium Charge, Automotive
2 Amp, Trickle Charge, Lawn Tractor/Motorcycle/ATV

Thanks!

Typically use 1/10 capacity for 10 hours. 1.5-2 amp charge. I don't know if
the charger just keeps putting out or shuts own.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Oct 2012 11:36:24 -0400, DerbyDad03
wrote:

I have a portable battery pack that uses a 15V DC pod to charge it. That
pod is currently about 300 miles from where the battery pack is.

Can I use my car battery charger by hooking it up to the clamps on the
battery pack?

If so, I have these specs and these choices. Which should I use?

Battery Pack: 12V/15A

Charger Choices:
6 Amp, Fast Charge, Automotive/Light Truck
4 Amp, Medium Charge, Automotive
2 Amp, Trickle Charge, Lawn Tractor/Motorcycle/ATV

Thanks!

2 or 4 amp. I'm assuming by 15a you mean 15AH on the battery pack - 4
amps for 4 or 5 hours will give full charge - 2 amp will take about 10
hours for full charge.

Less if the battery pack is not fully discharged.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Oct 2012 12:31:35 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

That reminds me, mine needs charging. I usually
use the provided charge plug. As you write, not
an option. I've also used a cord with a lighter
plug on each end. Put the jump pack in the car,
plug into the lighter socket, charge on the way
to and from the store.

Of the options you give, the lowest amp charger
is the one I'd use. Figure for about how long you
guess, based on the pack being charged (guess
how charged it is).

Other option is to clamp onto the battery of a
car that runs, start engine, and idle for 10 minutes.

Christopher A. Young

A 10 minute charge will NOT give a full charge. It would take a 90 amp
charge rate to fully charge a dead 15Ah battery pack in 10 minutes. So
half charges would still take 45 amps.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Oct 2012 16:32:09 +0000 (UTC), gregz
wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote:
I have a portable battery pack that uses a 15V DC pod to charge it. That
pod is currently about 300 miles from where the battery pack is.

Can I use my car battery charger by hooking it up to the clamps on the battery pack?

If so, I have these specs and these choices. Which should I use?

Battery Pack: 12V/15A

Charger Choices:
6 Amp, Fast Charge, Automotive/Light Truck
4 Amp, Medium Charge, Automotive
2 Amp, Trickle Charge, Lawn Tractor/Motorcycle/ATV

Thanks!

Typically use 1/10 capacity for 10 hours. 1.5-2 amp charge. I don't know if
the charger just keeps putting out or shuts own.

Greg

GENERALLY they put out 2 amps maximum, and taper down as the voltage
comes up.. Some taper down enough to avoid boiling the battery
(usually referred to as float charge) while many simple "trickle
chargers" have no regulation at all.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Most likely the internal gel cell battery is rated at
12 volts, and will "ideally" provide 15 amps for
one hour, or some other way to get there.
150 amps, for 1/10 hour. Ideally, never fully
discharge the battery.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"DerbyDad03"
wrote in message ...

2 or 4 amp. I'm assuming by 15a you mean 15AH on the battery pack

I don't know what I mean.

I quote directly from the label on the MVP Model I-6550:

12V/15A

Once the Charged light comes on, I'll know it's ready. Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 27, 2:33*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Most likely the internal gel cell battery is rated at
12 volts, and will "ideally" provide 15 amps for
one hour, or some other way to get there.
150 amps, for 1/10 hour. Ideally, never fully
discharge the battery.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"DerbyDad03"
wrote in ...

..

2 or 4 amp. I'm assuming by 15a you mean 15AH on the battery pack

I don't know what I mean.

I quote directly from the label on the MVP Model I-6550:

12V/15A

Once the Charged light comes on, I'll know it's ready. Thanks!

keep feeling the battery as time passes, a hot battery pack means its
fully charged, gell cells and nearly all batteries detoriate and
carry less capacty as they age
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a portable battery pack that uses a 15V DC pod to charge it. That
pod is currently about 300 miles from where the battery pack is.

Can I use my car battery charger by hooking it up to the clamps on the
battery pack?

If so, I have these specs and these choices. Which should I use?

Battery Pack: 12V/15A

Charger Choices:
6 Amp, Fast Charge, Automotive/Light Truck
4 Amp, Medium Charge, Automotive
2 Amp, Trickle Charge, Lawn Tractor/Motorcycle/ATV

Thanks!

2 or 4 amp. I'm assuming by 15a you mean 15AH on the battery pack - 4
amps for 4 or 5 hours will give full charge - 2 amp will take about 10
hours for full charge.

Less if the battery pack is not fully discharged.

So here's the update:

The charger I used is this one:

http://www.tooltopia.com/schumacher-sc600a.aspx

The lights by the green triangle read as follows, from top to bottom:

Charged
75%
50%
25%
Charging
Connected

It was used less than a month ago on car battery and it worked fine.

I set it to 4 amps and hooked it up to the battery pack's clamps and
plugged it in to an AC outlet. The Charging and Connected lights came on
as expected.

I checked it a few hours later, expecting to see at least one of the
percent lights on. Nothing. I checked it again after it had been
charging for 6 hours...still no percentage lights. Just the Charging and
Connected lights.

I unhooked it from the battery pack, turned the battery pack on and the
Low LED came on, just like before.

Should I assume that the battery pack is shot or is it possible that it
won't charge via the clamps and that the 15V charger must be used?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've had jump pack internal batteries go dead. Several of
them. What's the voltage, at the pack's battery clamps?
With no charger?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"DerbyDad03"
wrote in message ...

Should I assume that the battery pack is shot or is it
possible that it won't charge via the clamps and that
the 15V charger must be used?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

yep the internal battery is likely bad. sitting discharged a long time
sulphates the plates and ruins the battery...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

sulphates the plates and ruins the battery...- Hide quoted text -

A "long time" is a relative value.

My grandfather lived for a long time. I was on hold with tech support
for a long time. Those two "long times" are very far apart in terms of
real numbers.

What is considered a "long time" in regards to a battery pack sitting
discharged?