Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Charging a portable battery pack

On Oct 28, 8:23*am, bob haller wrote:
On Oct 27, 10:30*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On 10/27/12 1:03 PM, wrote:

On Sat, 27 Oct 2012 11:36:24 -0400, DerbyDad03
wrote:

I have a portable battery pack that uses a 15V DC pod to charge it. That
pod is currently about 300 miles from where the battery pack is.

Can I use my car battery charger by hooking it up to the clamps on the
battery pack?

If so, I have these specs and these choices. Which should I use?

Battery Pack: 12V/15A

Charger Choices:
6 Amp, Fast Charge, Automotive/Light Truck
4 Amp, Medium Charge, Automotive
2 Amp, Trickle Charge, Lawn Tractor/Motorcycle/ATV

Thanks!
2 or 4 amp. I'm assuming by 15a you mean 15AH on the battery pack - 4
amps for 4 or 5 hours will give full charge - 2 amp will take about 10
hours for full charge.

Less if the battery pack is not fully discharged.

So here's the update:

The charger I used is this one:

http://www.tooltopia.com/schumacher-sc600a.aspx

The lights by the green triangle read as follows, from top to bottom:

Charged
75%
50%
25%
Charging
Connected

It was used less than a month ago on car battery and it worked fine.

I set it to 4 amps and hooked it up to the battery pack's clamps and
plugged it in to an AC outlet. The Charging and Connected lights came on
as expected.

I checked it a few hours later, expecting to see at least one of the
percent lights on. Nothing. *I checked it again after it had been
charging for 6 hours...still no percentage lights. Just the Charging and
Connected lights.

I unhooked it from the battery pack, turned the battery pack on and the
Low LED came on, just like before.

Should I assume that the battery pack is shot or is it possible that it
won't charge via the clamps and that the 15V charger must be used?

yep the internal battery is likely bad. sitting discharged a long time
sulphates the plates and ruins the battery...- Hide quoted text -

A "long time" is a relative value.

My grandfather lived for a long time. I was on hold with tech support
for a long time. Those two "long times" are very far apart in terms of
real numbers.

What is considered a "long time" in regards to a battery pack sitting
discharged?