Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03[_2_] DerbyDad03[_2_] is offline

Default Charging a portable battery pack

On 10/27/12 1:03 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 27 Oct 2012 11:36:24 -0400, DerbyDad03
wrote:

I have a portable battery pack that uses a 15V DC pod to charge it. That
pod is currently about 300 miles from where the battery pack is.

Can I use my car battery charger by hooking it up to the clamps on the
battery pack?

If so, I have these specs and these choices. Which should I use?

Battery Pack: 12V/15A

Charger Choices:
6 Amp, Fast Charge, Automotive/Light Truck
4 Amp, Medium Charge, Automotive
2 Amp, Trickle Charge, Lawn Tractor/Motorcycle/ATV

Thanks!

2 or 4 amp. I'm assuming by 15a you mean 15AH on the battery pack - 4
amps for 4 or 5 hours will give full charge - 2 amp will take about 10
hours for full charge.

Less if the battery pack is not fully discharged.

So here's the update:

The charger I used is this one:

http://www.tooltopia.com/schumacher-sc600a.aspx

The lights by the green triangle read as follows, from top to bottom:

Charged
75%
50%
25%
Charging
Connected

It was used less than a month ago on car battery and it worked fine.

I set it to 4 amps and hooked it up to the battery pack's clamps and
plugged it in to an AC outlet. The Charging and Connected lights came on
as expected.

I checked it a few hours later, expecting to see at least one of the
percent lights on. Nothing. I checked it again after it had been
charging for 6 hours...still no percentage lights. Just the Charging and
Connected lights.

I unhooked it from the battery pack, turned the battery pack on and the
Low LED came on, just like before.

Should I assume that the battery pack is shot or is it possible that it
won't charge via the clamps and that the 15V charger must be used?