GTO69RA4

Default Charging a portable booster/jump pack?

Just was given a fairly new portable booster pack. You know, one of those
things with a little battery and a couple jumper cables. Anyone know what kind
of current I should charge it with? Didn't get a charger with it. Seems to use
an external AC power brick and a built-in digital circuit for a few LEDs.

I'll also have to open this thing up and look at the battery, since the "12v"
output is over 20...

GTO(John)
Rex B

|| If it has no charge circuits, you can buy "wall wart" transformers
||with the 12V Gel Cell "float charger" circuit built in. Haunt the
||usual places like All Electronics & American Science.

-HF has a 1-amp float charger for $10 that I've used on a variety of small 12V
batteries for long periods.
Texas Parts Guy
Bob Paulin

GTO69RA4 wrote in article

I'll also have to open this thing up and look at the battery, since the

"12v"
output is over 20...

....which is why many knowledgeable shops refuse to have one of these in
their service truck.

When fully charged, some of these "packs" have a 30+ volt output.....

......just imagine what that can do to some of today's fragile electronic
components....

I used to sell these when I managed a NAPA store - always to the "retail"
customer, but never to the professional. Go figure!

Backlash

Maybe that's why that little thing would spin over my diesel tractor so
well! G

RJ

--
"Have no one say it, and say it to your shame, that all was well here, until
YOU came."

"Bob Paulin" wrote in message

GTO69RA4 wrote in article

I'll also have to open this thing up and look at the battery, since the

"12v"
output is over 20...

...which is why many knowledgeable shops refuse to have one of these in
their service truck.

When fully charged, some of these "packs" have a 30+ volt output.....

.....just imagine what that can do to some of today's fragile electronic
components....

I used to sell these when I managed a NAPA store - always to the "retail"
customer, but never to the professional. Go figure!

Martin H. Eastburn

GTO69RA4 wrote:

Just was given a fairly new portable booster pack. You know, one of those
things with a little battery and a couple jumper cables. Anyone know what kind
of current I should charge it with? Didn't get a charger with it. Seems to use
an external AC power brick and a built-in digital circuit for a few LEDs.

I'll also have to open this thing up and look at the battery, since the "12v"
output is over 20...

GTO(John)

Open circuit might be over 20, loaded down it would drop.
One would want higher than 12V so current would flow.
Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer

Martin H. Eastburn

Bob Paulin wrote:

GTO69RA4 wrote in article

I'll also have to open this thing up and look at the battery, since the

"12v"

output is over 20...

...which is why many knowledgeable shops refuse to have one of these in
their service truck.

When fully charged, some of these "packs" have a 30+ volt output.....

.....just imagine what that can do to some of today's fragile electronic
components....

I used to sell these when I managed a NAPA store - always to the "retail"
customer, but never to the professional. Go figure!

The unit has an output resistance high enough that when plugged in, it drops.
One wouldn't want a high current one - might come apart in the sitting compartment.
If one needed the booster, the drain would be strong.

If one was using one for a portable 12 volt supply, then that might be a real issue.

Martin