Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "Quick Release" plywood panel

I have a vertical piece of plywood (about 1/3 sheet) bolted onto a wood frame structure. There is storage behind the panel, but to access it I need to remove all of the bolts before removing the panel. Slow!

Anyone have ideas on a faster method that would hold the panel securely in place? Hinges won't work because of clearance issues.

One idea (not a good one) is to use U-bolts attached to the structure, with the loop of the bolt passing through slots in the plywood. Then a wedge could be inserted between the protruding loop and plywood surface to hold everything in place. Simply knock the wedges out to pull the panel down. Aesthetically not the nicest...I'd rather stick with the existing bolts.

I'm hoping there are some specialty hardware products that might do a better job. Any ideas?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, October 23, 2012 7:52:23 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I have a vertical piece of plywood (about 1/3 sheet) bolted onto a wood frame structure. There is storage behind the panel, but to access it I need to remove all of the bolts before removing the panel. Slow!

Anyone have ideas on a faster method that would hold the panel securely in place? Hinges won't work because of clearance issues.

One idea (not a good one) is to use U-bolts attached to the structure, with the loop of the bolt passing through slots in the plywood. Then a wedge could be inserted between the protruding loop and plywood surface to hold everything in place. Simply knock the wedges out to pull the panel down. Aesthetically not the nicest...I'd rather stick with the existing bolts.

I'm hoping there are some specialty hardware products that might do a better job. Any ideas?

"Z" or "C" channel on one edge and bottom to set panel in and a screw to secure the opposite edge? There are other fasteners by the dozens for the free edge.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a vertical piece of plywood (about 1/3 sheet) bolted onto a wood
frame structure. There is storage behind the panel, but to access it I need
to remove all of the bolts before removing the panel. Slow!

Anyone have ideas on a faster method that would hold the panel securely in
place? Hinges won't work because of clearance issues.

One idea (not a good one) is to use U-bolts attached to the structure, with
the loop of the bolt passing through slots in the plywood. Then a wedge
could be inserted between the protruding loop and plywood surface to hold
everything in place. Simply knock the wedges out to pull the panel down.
Aesthetically not the nicest...I'd rather stick with the existing bolts.

I'm hoping there are some specialty hardware products that might do a better
job. Any ideas?

*Velcro comes to mind.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, October 23, 2012 1:01:14 PM UTC-2:30, Harry K wrote:
On Tuesday, October 23, 2012 7:52:23 AM UTC-7, wrote:

"Z" or "C" channel on one edge and bottom to set panel in and a screw to secure the opposite edge? There are other fasteners by the dozens for the free edge.

Z/C channel might just work. Worst case it will eliminate 50% of the fasteners. All I need to do is find some

Hurricane clips aren't appropriate for the application and a hinge won't get it done because of clearance issues (panel can't swing out far enough without hitting nearby obstacles).

One other item I neglected...the panel must support bodyweight (it's part of a climbing wall). Fortunately the bottom edge of the panel will be fully supported by underlying structure.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 23, 7:52*am, wrote:
I have a vertical piece of plywood (about 1/3 sheet) bolted onto a wood frame structure. *There is storage behind the panel, but to access it I need to remove all of the bolts before removing the panel. *Slow!

Anyone have ideas on a faster method that would hold the panel securely in place? *Hinges won't work because of clearance issues.

One idea (not a good one) is to use U-bolts attached to the structure, with the loop of the bolt passing through slots in the plywood. *Then a wedge could be inserted between the protruding loop and plywood surface to hold everything in place. *Simply knock the wedges out to pull the panel down. Aesthetically not the nicest...I'd rather stick with the existing bolts.

I'm hoping there are some specialty hardware products that might do a better job. *Any ideas?

I have a similar stitatuon.... a plywood panel about 30" wide x 80"
high. I have it secured on the edges to to framing with about 8 or 10
square drive flat head #10 x 2" sheet metal screws.

I only need to remove it to do washing machine / dryer maint or access
some washing machine plumbing...so only about once a year, max.

Depending on the "look" that is acceptable, frequency of access & the
amount of time to build the system...

1) screws into wood or http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...3&site=ROCKLER
2) 1/4 turn captive fasteners & retainers
3) 1/4 turn blade style fastners
4) http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=729&rrt=1

sorry cannot find the exact device I'm looking for...

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

Galvanized deck screws. Use electric drill, and
screw driver tip for inserting or removing the
screws.

Since safety is an issue, use a LOT of screws.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message

One other item I neglected...the panel must support bodyweight (it's part of
a climbing wall). Fortunately the bottom edge of the panel will be fully
supported by underlying structure.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Posted to alt.home.repair

1) screws into wood orhttp://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=363&site=ROCKLER
2) 1/4 turn captive fasteners & retainers
3) 1/4 turn blade style fastners
4)http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=729&rrt=1

sorry cannot find the exact device I'm looking for...

cheers
Bob

djuz (?spelling?) faseners? Look good but are a bit visible. I'm
thinking of thetype hey used to use (maybe stilldo) to hold hoods on
race cars closed.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 23, 10:52*am, wrote:
I have a vertical piece of plywood (about 1/3 sheet) bolted onto a wood frame structure. *There is storage behind the panel, but to access it I need to remove all of the bolts before removing the panel. *Slow!

Anyone have ideas on a faster method that would hold the panel securely in place? *Hinges won't work because of clearance issues.

One idea (not a good one) is to use U-bolts attached to the structure, with the loop of the bolt passing through slots in the plywood. *Then a wedge could be inserted between the protruding loop and plywood surface to hold everything in place. *Simply knock the wedges out to pull the panel down. Aesthetically not the nicest...I'd rather stick with the existing bolts.

I'm hoping there are some specialty hardware products that might do a better job. *Any ideas?

1/3 sheet? About 11 sq ft?

Does it have to be plywood? Since it can be removed from the outside,
it doesn't sound like access security is an issue.

What about a simple shade or some curtains?

What about some hooks at the top and slots in the panel? Lift up and
out to remove, slide down and in to rehang. Velcro at the bottom if
you want to "secure" it a little.

What about a home made bi-fold door that only needs half the clearance
to open?

There must be some other requirements that you haven't mentioned that
eliminates the thousands of possible methods of covering a 11 sq ft
hole.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 23, 11:54*am, wrote:
On Tuesday, October 23, 2012 1:01:14 PM UTC-2:30, Harry K wrote:
On Tuesday, October 23, 2012 7:52:23 AM UTC-7, wrote:

"Z" or "C" channel on one edge and bottom to set panel in and a screw to secure the opposite edge? *There are other fasteners by the dozens for the free edge.

Z/C channel might just work. *Worst case it will eliminate 50% of the fasteners. *All I need to do is find some *

Hurricane clips aren't appropriate for the application and a hinge won't get it done because of clearance issues (panel can't swing out far enough without hitting nearby obstacles).

One other item I neglected...the panel must support bodyweight (it's part of a climbing wall). *Fortunately the bottom edge of the panel will be fully supported by underlying structure.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Neglected to mention that it must hold body weight? A minor detail, to
be sure...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 23, 1:20*pm, Mark Storkamp wrote:
In article ,

wrote:
I have a vertical piece of plywood (about 1/3 sheet) bolted onto a wood frame
structure. *There is storage behind the panel, but to access it I need to
remove all of the bolts before removing the panel. *Slow!

Anyone have ideas on a faster method that would hold the panel securely in
place? *Hinges won't work because of clearance issues.

One idea (not a good one) is to use U-bolts attached to the structure, with
the loop of the bolt passing through slots in the plywood. *Then a wedge
could be inserted between the protruding loop and plywood surface to hold
everything in place. *Simply knock the wedges out to pull the panel down.
Aesthetically not the nicest...I'd rather stick with the existing bolts..

I'm hoping there are some specialty hardware products that might do a better
job. *Any ideas?

Put small wood blocks on the back of the panel, and matching blocks in
the opening just below the ones on the panel. Put a 30 taper on the
bottom of the blocks on the panel and a matching taper on the tops of
the blocks in the opening. The blocks will interlock and gravity will
hold it in place. (Easier to do than explain, I wish I could put up a
picture here)- Hide quoted text -

Your suggestion is typically called a "french cleat" as shown he

http://newtowoodworking.com/wp-conte...enchcleat1.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/23/2012 12:27 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

One other item I neglected...the panel must support bodyweight (it's part of
a climbing wall). Fortunately the bottom edge of the panel will be fully
supported by underlying structure.

Bad idea to have a removable panel on a climbing wall.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "Quick Release" plywood panel (attribution corrected)

That's why I suggested a lot of galv deck screws.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

One other item I neglected...the panel must support bodyweight (it's part
of
a climbing wall). Fortunately the bottom edge of the panel will be fully
supported by underlying structure.

Bad idea to have a removable panel on a climbing wall.

While you're fixing the attributions, why not fix your ****ing top posts
too?

Posted to alt.home.repair

This any better?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Jerrod" wrote in message
b.com...

While you're fixing the attributions, why not
fix your wonderful top posts too?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/23/2012 5:38 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
This any better?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

wrote in message
b.com...

While you're fixing the attributions, why not
fix your wonderful top posts too?

Not at all. Your newsreader doesn't indent previous posts which makes it
difficult to tell who said what. Is that a bug in Outlook Express?

And your God damn mother-****ing top-posting adds even more confusion to
the thread. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

No, it's an option that I unchecked (unticked,
for UK friends) the box. With only two persons
text, it can't be that hard to follow.

Better, now?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Jerrod" wrote in message
eb.com...

Not at all. Your newsreader doesn't indent previous
posts which makes it difficult to tell who said what.
Is that a bug in Outlook Express?

And your God blessed Haleighleujah-handclapping
top-posting adds even more confusion to the thread. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 10:56:31 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Oct 23, 10:52Â*am, wrote:
I have a vertical piece of plywood (about 1/3 sheet) bolted onto a wood frame structure. Â*There is storage behind the panel, but to access it I need to remove all of the bolts before removing the panel. Â*Slow!

Anyone have ideas on a faster method that would hold the panel securely in place? Â*Hinges won't work because of clearance issues.

One idea (not a good one) is to use U-bolts attached to the structure, with the loop of the bolt passing through slots in the plywood. Â*Then a wedge could be inserted between the protruding loop and plywood surface to hold everything in place. Â*Simply knock the wedges out to pull the panel down. Aesthetically not the

nicest...I'd rather stick with the existing bolts.

I'm hoping there are some specialty hardware products that might do a better job. Â*Any ideas?

1/3 sheet? About 11 sq ft?

Does it have to be plywood? Since it can be removed from the outside,
it doesn't sound like access security is an issue.

What about a simple shade or some curtains?

What about some hooks at the top and slots in the panel? Lift up and
out to remove, slide down and in to rehang. Velcro at the bottom if
you want to "secure" it a little.

What about a home made bi-fold door that only needs half the clearance
to open?

There must be some other requirements that you haven't mentioned that
eliminates the thousands of possible methods of covering a 11 sq ft
hole.

He DID say it was part of a climbing wall - which rules out all the
velcro, magnets, push latches, etc.
Senior Member

Hasps.

Just put bolts through them, or for greater security, padlocks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Oct 23, 10:52 am, wrote:
[...]

True...but he said it after many of us had already responded. You gotta
admit that leaving that whole "body weight" thing out of the OP may have
led some us to offer some suggestions that might not apply.

That's why I suspected that there were "other requirements" that we didn't
know about.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jerrod" wrote in message

eb.com...

Not at all. Your newsreader doesn't indent previous
posts which makes it difficult to tell who said what.
Is that a bug in Outlook Express?

And your God blessed Haleighleujah-handclapping
top-posting adds even more confusion to the thread. *;-)

No! And it won't be "better" until you give up your stubborn, moronic
top posting.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/23/2012 6:10 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
And your God blessed Haleighleujah-handclapping
top-posting adds even more confusion to the thread.;-)

Yah, top posting totally destroys the flow of a thread
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/23/2012 6:10 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
No, it's an option that I unchecked (unticked,
for UK friends) the box. With only two persons
text, it can't be that hard to follow.

Better, now?

as a rule, uk posters dont top-post so now whats your excuse?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 05:57:53 -0400, Jerrod wrote:

On 10/23/2012 6:10 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
No, it's an option that I unchecked (unticked,
for UK friends) the box. With only two persons
text, it can't be that hard to follow.

Better, now?

as a rule, uk posters dont top-post so now whats your excuse?

Evidenlty they don't know how to punctuate, though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jerrod wrote:
On 10/23/2012 5:38 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
This any better?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

wrote in message
b.com...

While you're fixing the attributions, why not
fix your wonderful top posts too?

Not at all. Your newsreader doesn't indent previous posts which makes
it difficult to tell who said what. Is that a bug in Outlook Express?

And your God damn mother-****ing top-posting adds even more confusion
to the thread. ;-)

If you read what he posts, you will realize that he is a little too dim to learn
to do things "right".

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:

Use double ended bolts. Wood thread on one end, and machine screws on
the other. Use wing nuts or hex nuts on the surface, as needed.
(closet bolts?)

Hanger bolts. Closet bolts are the toilet hold down bolts.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, October 24, 2012 3:03:14 PM UTC-2:30, dadiOH wrote:
Bob F wrote:
Hanger bolts. Closet bolts are the toilet hold down bolts.

In lieu of hanger bolts, I'm currently using threaded inserts (T-nuts) to bolt the panel in place. +1 since the bolt head will always be the same distance above the surface of the plywood, regardless of how much the bolt is tightened.

I'm going to try C-channel along 3 sides (bolts remain on the 4th side) as a test to see if it will be secure enough. Simply remove those bolts and slide the entire panel out. Given that it is a small piece of ply I'm optimistic that it will be strong enough...if I see appreciable flex I'll go back to using bolts.

Apologies to those who didn't get my update on a 'climbing wall' application. I was trying to describe the problem in a generic manner so it might also be useful to others. I'm appreciative of the suggestions...I always learn something new when I post on this group.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/24/2012 9:32 AM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Evidenlty they don't know how to punctuate, though.

Evidenlty????
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "Quick Release" plywood panel (mormon deleted)

On 10/24/2012 11:06 AM, Bob F wrote:
If you read what he posts, you will realize that he is a little too dim to learn
to do things "right".

Is the mormon mentally retarded?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 18:47:46 -0400, Harry Johnson
wrote:

On 10/24/2012 11:06 AM, Bob F wrote:
If you read what he posts, you will realize that he is a little too dim to learn
to do things "right".

Is the mormon mentally retarded?

Why do we all have to resort to name calling? Just stick to the
facts.

I tend to agree about the "replies" but not the other crap. I will
tolerate it from anyone if it's not done often.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, October 23, 2012 1:01:14 PM UTC-2:30, Harry K wrote:
On Tuesday, October 23, 2012 7:52:23 AM UTC-7, wrote:

Anyone have ideas on a faster method that would hold the panel securely in place? Hinges won't work because of clearance issues.

"Z" or "C" channel on one edge and bottom to set panel in and a screw to secure the opposite edge? There are other fasteners by the dozens for the free edge.

Quick update: Plywood panel is triangular. I got away with 3 low-profile bolts on the hypotenuse and installed C-channel for the other 2 sides to mate with (against ceiling and wall). Very secure, no problem for climbing. The only problem now is a slight warp in the plywood which can make inserting/removing a bit challenging.

I tried straightening the plywood but no success (even with heat/pressure). Guess I'll do some spot sanding to make things a bit smoother.