Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Storkamp Mark Storkamp is offline

Default "Quick Release" plywood panel

In article ,
wrote:

I have a vertical piece of plywood (about 1/3 sheet) bolted onto a wood frame
structure. There is storage behind the panel, but to access it I need to
remove all of the bolts before removing the panel. Slow!

Anyone have ideas on a faster method that would hold the panel securely in
place? Hinges won't work because of clearance issues.

One idea (not a good one) is to use U-bolts attached to the structure, with
the loop of the bolt passing through slots in the plywood. Then a wedge
could be inserted between the protruding loop and plywood surface to hold
everything in place. Simply knock the wedges out to pull the panel down.
Aesthetically not the nicest...I'd rather stick with the existing bolts.

I'm hoping there are some specialty hardware products that might do a better
job. Any ideas?

Put small wood blocks on the back of the panel, and matching blocks in
the opening just below the ones on the panel. Put a 30 taper on the
bottom of the blocks on the panel and a matching taper on the tops of
the blocks in the opening. The blocks will interlock and gravity will
hold it in place. (Easier to do than explain, I wish I could put up a
picture here)