Posted to rec.woodworking
bdeditch

Default Cabinet door panel out of 1/2" Plywood, can this be done?

Just wondering if anyone has made cabinet doors like this. Since it is
next to impossible to find true 1/4 " Oak plywood, just been finding
3/16th stuff, would it be possible to get 1/2 " Oak plywood and using a
raised panel router bit, trim the BACK of the plywood to get 1/4 "
thick and use this for a front panel of the cabinet door. Please
remember that the cut out will be on the back of the door, I know
someone is going to say that I should use 3/4" Oak hardwood, glue
together and then use the raised panel bit, just don't need the added
expense of that.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lyndell Thompson

"bdeditch" wrote in message
oups.com...
Just wondering if anyone has made cabinet doors like this. Since it is
next to impossible to find true 1/4 " Oak plywood, just been finding
3/16th stuff, would it be possible to get 1/2 " Oak plywood and using a
raised panel router bit, trim the BACK of the plywood to get 1/4 "
thick and use this for a front panel of the cabinet door. Please
remember that the cut out will be on the back of the door, I know
someone is going to say that I should use 3/4" Oak hardwood, glue
together and then use the raised panel bit, just don't need the added
expense of that.

I am going to try something like this later this year. I have a stack of
baltic birch in 12" x 48" (x60") lengths, and I am going to build a wall
closet in our bedroom. I bought plywood edging bits from LeeValley for the
edge treatment. I am still working on what to do with middle of the doors as
there will be a horizontal and vertical line (biscuit joinery) to hide.
Maybe we will both get the answers we need.
Thanks for asking.
Good Luck Lyndell

Posted to rec.woodworking
DJ Delorie

"bdeditch" writes:
Since it is next to impossible to find true 1/4 " Oak plywood,

Remind me not to shop where you shop. My 1/4" oak ply is usually
within a few thou of 0.250 inches.

OTOH I just did a set of drawers with 1/2 oak ply (for strength) by
rabbeting the edge to fit in a 1/4" slot. So far so good.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

"bdeditch" wrote in message
oups.com...
Just wondering if anyone has made cabinet doors like this. Since it is
next to impossible to find true 1/4 " Oak plywood, just been finding
3/16th stuff, would it be possible to get 1/2 " Oak plywood and using a
raised panel router bit, trim the BACK of the plywood to get 1/4 "
thick and use this for a front panel of the cabinet door. Please
remember that the cut out will be on the back of the door, I know
someone is going to say that I should use 3/4" Oak hardwood, glue
together and then use the raised panel bit, just don't need the added
expense of that.

Sure - it will work but making sure you hide the back cut line. Why not
just get a new plywood supplier? My local shop has beautiful Oak 1/4" in
both ply and MDF laminated.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article .com,
bdeditch wrote:
Just wondering if anyone has made cabinet doors like this. Since it is
next to impossible to find true 1/4 " Oak plywood, just been finding
3/16th stuff, would it be possible to get 1/2 " Oak plywood and using a
raised panel router bit, trim the BACK of the plywood to get 1/4 "
thick and use this for a front panel of the cabinet door. Please
remember that the cut out will be on the back of the door, I know
someone is going to say that I should use 3/4" Oak hardwood, glue
together and then use the raised panel bit, just don't need the added
expense of that.

Why not just use the 3/16 or 7/32 stuff that you do have available? If
you do decide to use the 1/2 inch ply, instead of using the router, it
would probably be easier and certainly quicker to just rabbet the
egdes on a tablesaw.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Posted to rec.woodworking
DADGAD

Norm just did exactly that on his fireplace mantel project. He took
just enough off a 1/2 inch sheet to fit snug in a 1/4 inch groove.
--- Ed

Posted to rec.woodworking

Just wondering if anyone has made cabinet doors like this. Since it is
next to impossible to find true 1/4 " Oak plywood, just been finding
3/16th stuff, would it be possible to get 1/2 " Oak plywood and using a

raised panel router bit, trim the BACK of the plywood to get 1/4 "
thick and use this for a front panel of the cabinet door. Please
remember that the cut out will be on the back of the door, I know
someone is going to say that I should use 3/4" Oak hardwood, glue
together and then use the raised panel bit, just don't need the added
expense of that.

Yep. It works great. It not only makes the stock a predictable size,
but the shoulder can mask any variation in the dado if you use a router
instead of a dado stack for the job.

I've gotta wonder, though- what's the raised panel bit for? That's
going to look awfully funny if you run plywood through it, unless
you're talking about something a bit different than what I'm thinking
of. A regular straight bit should work fine on the plywood to get it
down to 1/4"

Posted to rec.woodworking
Wilson

What's wrong with 3/16?
You could shim it in the groove to hold it steady.
You could put a couple of battens on the back, if you think it's too
flexible.
Wilson
oups.com...