Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sliding glass doors

I have a 6 foot sliding glass door assembly as one of the entries into my hobby area. I need to bring in some bigger equipment and am wanting to know if the fixed glass part of the assembly (3 feet fixed, 3 feet sliding) is at all removable. I know the slider can be removed by lifting it up and swinging it away from its lower track. Is there any way to remove the fixed pane?

All answers appreciated.

Ivan Vegvary
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 11 Oct 2012 22:34:07 -0700 (PDT), Ivan Vegvary
wrote:

I have a 6 foot sliding glass door assembly as one of the entries into my hobby area. I need to bring in some bigger equipment and am wanting to know if the fixed glass part of the assembly (3 feet fixed, 3 feet sliding) is at all removable. I know the slider can be removed by lifting it up and swinging it away from its lower track. Is there any way to remove the fixed pane?

All answers appreciated.

Ivan Vegvary

I took out the sliding part once. Double glass. No ore than 3 feet
wide. . It was really heavy, far more than I expected. I wished I'd
had a helper, and was glad the bottom didnt' slide away from me when I
rested it on the floor for a few moments, or if I slipped a little. .
If I did it again, I'd have a helper, and I'd know exactly where I was
going to rest it, and have a clear path to that spot, and something
ready already to keep the bottom from sliding out or the top from
tipping over.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ivan,

In my experience, The stationary door is screwed to the frame. Usually 2
or 4 screws. Once unscrewed the door may be lifted and the bottom edge swung
clear of the frame's track.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
I have a 6 foot sliding glass door assembly as one of the entries
into my hobby area. I need to bring in some bigger equipment and am
wanting to know if the fixed glass part of the assembly (3 feet
fixed, 3 feet sliding) is at all removable. I know the slider can be
removed by lifting it up and swinging it away from its lower track.
Is there any way to remove the fixed pane?

All answers appreciated.

Yes. In fact, you can take out the entire frame. Been a while since I did
it so I can't tell you the details but it wasn't all that hard...an
examanation of the screws should lead you to the details.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a 6 foot sliding glass door assembly as one of the entries into my hobby area. I need to bring in some bigger equipment and am wanting to know if the fixed glass part of the assembly (3 feet fixed, 3 feet sliding) is at all removable. I know the slider can be removed by lifting it up and swinging it away from its lower track. Is there any way to remove the fixed pane?

All answers appreciated.

Ivan Vegvary

Yes. You can remove the stationary panel. The stationary is 'first
in, last out".

Chances are your door are tempered glass, so they will be heavy. My
stationary panel has a 1 inch L-bracket and the top and bottom. Remove
them and the door will lift out.

YMMV

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 12, 1:34*am, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
I have a 6 foot sliding glass door assembly as one of the entries into my hobby area. *I need to bring in some bigger equipment and am wanting to know if the fixed glass part of the assembly (3 feet fixed, 3 feet sliding) is at all removable. *I know the slider can be removed by lifting it up and swinging it away from its lower track. *Is there any way to remove the fixed pane?

All answers appreciated.

Ivan Vegvary

The fixed panel of my door has an L bracket top and bottom as you
stand in the channel and face the edge of the fixed panel. Once the
slider has been removed, the stationary panel can be removed by taking
the screws out of the L brackets, sliding the stationary panel towards
the center so that it clears the frame and then (I'm lying here...more
later) lifting the panel out.

It's heavy, so I'd have some help available.

About my lying....

With most sliding doors the panels, sliding or fixed, are removed by
lifting them up and swinging the bottom out. My door, which is wood on
the inside, has a molding strip across the interior of the frame that,
once removed, allows the tops of the panels to be tilted into the room
and then lifted out of the track. There is no room above the panels to
lift them while they are in the track.

I think that the design of my door is more secure because you need to
remove 8 screws from inside the house in order to remove either panel.
There's no way to lift it from the outside and swing the bottom in.

Since you said that your sliding panel is removed by "lifting it up
and swinging it away from its lower track" I can only assume that your
fixed panel is removed the same way, once the L brackets are removed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"David L. Martel" wrote in message
Ivan,

In my experience, The stationary door is screwed to the frame. Usually 2
or 4 screws. Once unscrewed the door may be lifted and the bottom edge
swung clear of the frame's track.

Dave M.

Obviously, when rolling anything over the track while the window is out, it
is advisable to put down a sheet of plywood, particle board, etc, to prevent
bending of the bottom assembly.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren,

Yes. You can remove the stationary panel. The stationary is 'first
in, last out".

That's not been my experience. The stationary door comes out first and
goes in last. If the sliding door could be removed first then burglers
would have easy access to your home.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The sliding doors I've seen, have to be unlocked
and partly slid towards open in order to remove.
When the door is locked, it's bound on the edge,
by the jamb.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"David L. Martel" wrote in message

That's not been my experience. The stationary door comes out first and
goes in last. If the sliding door could be removed first then burglers
would have easy access to your home.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a 6 foot sliding glass door assembly as one of the entries
into my hobby area. I need to bring in some bigger equipment and am
wanting to know if the fixed glass part of the assembly (3 feet
fixed, 3 feet sliding) is at all removable. I know the slider can
be removed by lifting it up and swinging it away from its lower
track. Is there any way to remove the fixed pane?

All answers appreciated.

Ivan Vegvary

Yes. You can remove the stationary panel. The stationary is 'first
in, last out".

Chances are your door are tempered glass, so they will be heavy. My
stationary panel has a 1 inch L-bracket and the top and bottom. Remove
them and the door will lift out.

Right. But it IS possible that the builders reversed the process. The
(thief) secure way is for the sliding part to be INSIDE of the fixed panel.

I dated a female* whose apartment had the reverse - the sliding part was on
the outside. That arrangement made it easier to replace the track, but
surely not as secure.

---------
* This was the same gal who, while I was waiting for her to skin another
muskrat (or whatever women do when they say "I'll be ready in just a
minute), screeched at the top of her lungs: "That goddamn George Bush should
learn some history!" (She was evidently watching the news on the bedroom
TV).

"Uh, he has a degree from Yale," I politely responded. "In history."

"That's a goddamn lie!" came back the reasoned response.

(tap-tap-tap on her computer)

"Ah, here it is," I pointed out. "He also has an MBA from Harvard."

By this time she's standing behind me, fists clenched, hissing "... the
****in' Republicans have taken over the internet..."

Thinking quickly, I devised a complicated, but believable, excuse for
leaving. I believe it was "I have to go."

Never did get around to fixing her door.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Oct 2012 09:35:39 -0400, "David L. Martel"
wrote:

Oren,

Yes. You can remove the stationary panel. The stationary is 'first
in, last out".

That's not been my experience. The stationary door comes out first and
goes in last. If the sliding door could be removed first then burglers
would have easy access to your home.

Dave M.

We went to different schools. Where do live that have stationary doors
removed first?

The OP can remove the operator (sliding) panel. And, then remove the
stationary.

This was not about burglars.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 12:13:09 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

wrote:

With most sliding doors the panels, sliding or fixed, are removed by
lifting them up and swinging the bottom out. My door, which is wood on
the inside, has a molding strip across the interior of the frame that,
once removed, allows the tops of the panels to be tilted into the room
and then lifted out of the track. There is no room above the panels to
lift them while they are in the track.

I think that the design of my door is more secure because you need to
remove 8 screws from inside the house in order to remove either panel.
There's no way to lift it from the outside and swing the bottom in.

Sounds like an Andersen...

Crest line
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Oct 2012 10:34:50 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

I dated a female* whose apartment had the reverse - the sliding part was on
the outside. That arrangement made it easier to replace the track, but
surely not as secure.

Pella makes some door like that. Once locked though, it would not be
so easily removed.