Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Window Treatments for Sliding Glass Doors

Hello,
I'm looking for a modern way to block a little light from coming in to
our living area. The picture below shows a wall with two sliding
glass doors on the second floor of our townhome. They doors will be
opened at times to air out the place.

http://www.alpine9.net/v/scott/house/windows.jpg.html

Just wondering what options we have. We're looking to put in roller
shades through most of the rest of the house. I'm not a big fan of
the verticle blinds.

Not sure what other info I can provide but any suggestions are greatly
appreciated.
Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 30, 9:35 am, wrote:
Hello,
I'm looking for a modern way to block a little light from coming in to
our living area. The picture below shows a wall with two sliding
glass doors on the second floor of our townhome. They doors will be
opened at times to air out the place.

http://www.alpine9.net/v/scott/house/windows.jpg.html

Just wondering what options we have. We're looking to put in roller
shades through most of the rest of the house. I'm not a big fan of
the verticle blinds.

Not sure what other info I can provide but any suggestions are greatly
appreciated.
Thanks!

Yeah, I hear on those vertical blinds but.............

I've had vertical blinds & horizontal blinds in different houses.

I like the look of horizontal blinds better (2" wood) but they're
kinda a pain to raise & lower when using the door. Any kind of
horizontal closure is going to have the same issue (ie roller shades)

Roller shades are cool but they're either up, down or full blockage of
part of the door.....you cannot get partial coverage of the entire
door like you can with horizontals

The verticals you just brush aside & scoot through.

SO it depends on the frequency of usage & what's more important to
you.........visual appeal? ease of use?

There are some decent looking heavy duty verticals that even satisfied
my wife

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 30, 10:35 am, wrote:
Hello,
I'm looking for a modern way to block a little light from coming in to
our living area. The picture below shows a wall with two sliding
glass doors on the second floor of our townhome. They doors will be
opened at times to air out the place.

http://www.alpine9.net/v/scott/house/windows.jpg.html

Just wondering what options we have. We're looking to put in roller
shades through most of the rest of the house. I'm not a big fan of
the verticle blinds.

Not sure what other info I can provide but any suggestions are greatly
appreciated.
Thanks!

we have large doors that we didn't want to obstruct the view on.

http://groups.msn.com/chaniarts/shoebox.msnw?
action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=182

we used horizontal cell blinds, a 2 panel and a single panel, and the
usual place is all the way up. they collapse into about a 2" stack at
the top and just seem to disappear.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,
I'm looking for a modern way to block a little light from coming in to
our living area. The picture below shows a wall with two sliding
glass doors on the second floor of our townhome. They doors will be
opened at times to air out the place.

http://www.alpine9.net/v/scott/house/windows.jpg.html

Just wondering what options we have. We're looking to put in roller
shades through most of the rest of the house. I'm not a big fan of
the verticle blinds.

Not sure what other info I can provide but any suggestions are greatly
appreciated.
Thanks!

First of all, no matter what you choose, the wind's going to blow it around,
so you have to consider four things:

- Wind damage - possible with vertical blinds, especially the "soft" ones

- Noise (vertical blinds, especially wooden ones, which will make a lot of
clatter)

- Ease of access to outside - roller blinds would be ridiculous in this
regard.

- Interference with nearby objects when blown by wind - drapes might end up
on your head if you're sitting on that couch, which looks to be close to the
door. Drapes can be weighted at the bottom, but I'm not sure how much,
before they become too heavy for the pulley contraption to function
smoothly.

And, that curved door - I've never seen vertical blinds for a situation like
that, although that does not mean it doesn't exist. If it can't be done,
then that eliminates one type of treatment, which you say you don't like
anyway.

I'd begin by taking a look at two web sites for ideas:
http://www.calicocorners.com/ (expensive, but their stores are staffed by
people who know their business)

www.jcpenney.com - Customer service is good (for ideas, mechanical info).
Stores may or may not be staffed by anyone helpful, depending on who's
working on that particular day.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 30 Jan 2007 09:35:34 -0800, wrote:

Hello,
I'm looking for a modern way to block a little light from coming in to
our living area. The picture below shows a wall with two sliding
glass doors on the second floor of our townhome. They doors will be
opened at times to air out the place.

http://www.alpine9.net/v/scott/house/windows.jpg.html

Just wondering what options we have. We're looking to put in roller
shades through most of the rest of the house. I'm not a big fan of
the verticle blinds.

Not sure what other info I can provide but any suggestions are greatly
appreciated.
Thanks!

I'll suggest window film.

My wife used a frosted film on the door leading to the patio from the
master bed room. It still allows plenty of light in and prevents
seeing into the bed room from the patio.

"Decorative, Privacy and Stained Glass Window Film
Adhesive free, removable static cling Wallpaper for Windows brand
decorative glass films are conveniently sized to fit most windows,
glass doors and glass shower enclosures. Whether you choose from the
9 decorative window films, the 11 privacy glass films or one or our 9
stained glass films, you'll love the easy installation and amazing
versatility of these window films."

And a link.

http://www.windowfilmworld.com/window_film.htm

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair
TH TH is offline

Try this site
http://www.comfortex.com/index.cfm

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,
I'm looking for a modern way to block a little light from coming in to
our living area. The picture below shows a wall with two sliding
glass doors on the second floor of our townhome. They doors will be
opened at times to air out the place.

http://www.alpine9.net/v/scott/house/windows.jpg.html

Just wondering what options we have. We're looking to put in roller
shades through most of the rest of the house. I'm not a big fan of
the verticle blinds.

Not sure what other info I can provide but any suggestions are greatly
appreciated.
Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,
I'm looking for a modern way to block a little light from coming in to
our living area. The picture below shows a wall with two sliding
glass doors on the second floor of our townhome. They doors will be
opened at times to air out the place.

http://www.alpine9.net/v/scott/house/windows.jpg.html

Just wondering what options we have. We're looking to put in roller
shades through most of the rest of the house. I'm not a big fan of
the verticle blinds.

Not sure what other info I can provide but any suggestions are greatly
appreciated.
Thanks!

Is the wall curved? Or is that camera distortion?

The neatest look might be custom made, clutch driven roller shades in the
one way mesh. Daylight hours you see out, no one sees in. At night no one
sees either way. Mount them above the opening so they fully retract when not
in use. Put a top treatment over them for a finished look. Slightly less
cost would be the same shade with a more traditional fabric.

Pleated shades or draperies would also work. You may have a stackback
problem depending on the door glide.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 30, 12:35 pm, wrote:
Hello,
I'm looking for a modern way to block a little light from coming in to
our living area. The picture below shows a wall with two sliding
glass doors on the second floor of our townhome. They doors will be
opened at times to air out the place.

http://www.alpine9.net/v/scott/house/windows.jpg.html

Just wondering what options we have. We're looking to put in roller
shades through most of the rest of the house. I'm not a big fan of
the verticle blinds.

Not sure what other info I can provide but any suggestions are greatly
appreciated.
Thanks!

We have sheers on decorative rods in our place. They block harsh light
and offer some privacy. We also have roller shades combined with the
sheers in our t.v. room to get rid of glare on the television when
it's needed.

-Felder

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks all. Should have mentioned the picture was cropped from an 360
degree image.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks all. Should have mentioned the picture was cropped from an 360
degree image.

So, one of the doors IS curved, or NOT?

Posted to alt.home.repair

The doors are NOT curved. It just looks that way from the image I
cropped it from. Sorry I wasn't clear. I confuse myself sometimes.

Sliding Glass Doors {Noise/Friction} [email protected] Home Repair 9 June 2nd 06 02:37 PM
Window treatments DS Home Repair 20 March 24th 06 10:05 PM
sliding glass cabinet doors - repost [email protected] Woodworking 5 May 12th 05 03:21 AM
Kitchen Cabinets: Sliding Aluminum Glass Doors and track system? HMFIC@1369 Woodworking 0 April 13th 05 06:40 AM
Easy-clean showers and sliding glass doors John Smith Home Ownership 1 March 28th 05 07:22 PM