Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Best gas leaf blower

My 18 year old Sears leaf blower gave up its ghost. I tried to resuscitate
it by rebuilding the carb, but no joy.

I am looking for an inexpensive gas leaf blower for light duty around my
home.

I was looking at the reviews of some blowers at Walmart, the HD and Amazon,
but they all had rather poor reviews, except the $ 500 Echos. I don't want
to spend more than @ 100.

Any recommendations based on experience? Is it worth looking at any of the
many re-furbished blowers on E-bay?

Thanks

Walter

--
www.rationality.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

Whatsa gas leaf?

--
Definition of objectivism:
"Eff you! I got mine."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/4/12 7:20 PM, walter wrote:
My 18 year old Sears leaf blower gave up its ghost. I tried to
resuscitate it by rebuilding the carb, but no joy.

I am looking for an inexpensive gas leaf blower for light duty around my
home.

I was looking at the reviews of some blowers at Walmart, the HD and
Amazon, but they all had rather poor reviews, except the $ 500 Echos. I
don't want to spend more than @ 100.

Any recommendations based on experience? Is it worth looking at any of
the many re-furbished blowers on E-bay?

Thanks

Walter

Consumer Reports has a Weed Eater VS2000BV as a Best Buy.
100 bucks on the nose. Poulan Pro BVM200VS is $110.
Craftsman 79470 is $125. All 3 score 70 points on the CR scale.
Top rated is the Echo PB-250. It scores 80 points and the price listed
is $170.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 4, 8:42*pm, Dean Hoffman "
wrote:
On 9/4/12 7:20 PM, walter wrote:

My 18 year old Sears leaf blower gave up its ghost. I tried to
resuscitate it by rebuilding the carb, but no joy.

I am looking for an inexpensive gas leaf blower for light duty around my
home.

I was looking at the reviews of some blowers at Walmart, the HD and
Amazon, but they all had rather poor reviews, except the $ 500 Echos. I
don't want to spend more than @ 100.

Any recommendations based on experience? Is it worth looking at any of
the many re-furbished blowers on E-bay?

Thanks

Walter

* * *Consumer Reports has a Weed Eater VS2000BV as a Best Buy.
100 bucks on the nose. *Poulan Pro *BVM200VS is $110.
Craftsman 79470 is $125. * All 3 score 70 points on the CR scale.
Top rated is the Echo PB-250. *It scores 80 points and the price listed
is $170.

I really like my 5hp craftsman shop vac which also acts as a leaf
blower......

the shop vac just plugs in conveniently around my yard
Posted to alt.home.repair

"walter" wrote:
My 18 year old Sears leaf blower gave up its ghost. I tried to
resuscitate it by rebuilding the carb, but no joy.

I am looking for an inexpensive gas leaf blower for light duty around my home.

I was looking at the reviews of some blowers at Walmart, the HD and
Amazon, but they all had rather poor reviews, except the $ 500 Echos. I
don't want to spend more than @ 100.

Any recommendations based on experience? Is it worth looking at any of
the many re-furbished blowers on E-bay?

Thanks

Walter

I got two stihl blowers. Very good. Don't buy horizontal flywheels. You
can't move side to Side. My one is also a sucker. My smaller unit, I
drilled out the exhaust for more hp. That one is 7 years old. Don't go for
wind speed. You need speed and volume.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote:
On Sep 4, 8:42 pm, Dean Hoffman "
wrote:
On 9/4/12 7:20 PM, walter wrote:

[...]

I use my 5hp craftsman shop vac as a vac to get the leafs out from under my
bushes and from around the flowers in my wife's gardens. I removed the Y
fitting inside the inlet to eliminate the clogging that used to occur at
that point.
Posted to alt.home.repair

walter wrote:

Best gas leaf blower

That's a trick question. There is no such thing as a "best leaf
blower". They should all be banned.

I thank the gods that none of my neighbors are retarded enough to have
one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 4, 5:20*pm, "walter" wrote:
My 18 year old Sears leaf blower gave up its ghost. I tried to resuscitate
it by rebuilding the carb, but no joy.

I am looking for an inexpensive gas leaf blower for light duty around my
home.

I was looking at the reviews of some blowers at Walmart, the HD and Amazon,
but they all had rather poor reviews, except the $ 500 Echos. I don't want
to spend more than @ 100.

Any recommendations based on experience? Is it worth looking at any of the
many re-furbished blowers on E-bay?

Thanks

Walter

--www.rationality.net

How about you don't bother the leaves?
And give nearby folks a break on noise & air pollution?

Two stroke engines dump about 30% of their fuel unburned.
Blowers stir up lots of particulates, the good news, operator suffers
the worst.

Or heaven forbid...use a rake?
Posted to alt.home.repair

walter wrote:
My 18 year old Sears leaf blower gave up its ghost. I tried to
resuscitate it by rebuilding the carb, but no joy.

I am looking for an inexpensive gas leaf blower for light duty around my
home.

I was looking at the reviews of some blowers at Walmart, the HD and
Amazon, but they all had rather poor reviews, except the $ 500 Echos. I
don't want to spend more than @ 100.

Any recommendations based on experience? Is it worth looking at any of
the many re-furbished blowers on E-bay?

Thanks

Walter

Hi,
I likd back pack kind Echo brand when I did my yard work.
Now some one else is doing it for me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/4/2012 8:20 PM, walter wrote:
My 18 year old Sears leaf blower gave up its ghost. I tried to
resuscitate it by rebuilding the carb, but no joy.

I am looking for an inexpensive gas leaf blower for light duty around my
home.

Harbor Freight has some nice Chinese blowers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/5/2012 2:00 AM, DD_BobK wrote:
On Sep 4, 5:20 pm, "walter" wrote:
[...]

Tend to agree that every time you use a 2 cycle small engine you need to
put your smelly clothes in the hamper and take a shower.

I prefer my corded unit. I can do things like dust out the car and
sweep out the garage without all the noise and smell.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Bernie Ward bernie.ward@hotmail wrote:

On 9/4/2012 8:20 PM, walter wrote:
My 18 year old Sears leaf blower gave up its ghost. I tried to
resuscitate it by rebuilding the carb, but no joy.

I am looking for an inexpensive gas leaf blower for light duty around my
home.

Harbor Freight has some nice Chinese blowers.

OP was asking about leaf blowers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 4 Sep 2012 23:00:26 -0700 (PDT), DD_BobK
wrote:

On Sep 4, 5:20*pm, "walter" wrote:
[...]

Rake... think blisters and bandaides. BTDT and it's no joy
especially with packed down leaves from all winter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sep 4, 5:20*pm, "walter" wrote:
[...]

You're hands must be too soft or perhaps you haven't discovered
gloves.
So it's ok to blow unburned hydrocarbons & dust around?

btw..if oyu rake in the fall, they won't pack down during the winter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 4, 5:20 pm, "walter" wrote:
My 18 year old Sears leaf blower gave up its ghost. I tried to resuscitate
it by rebuilding the carb, but no joy.

I am looking for an inexpensive gas leaf blower for light duty around my
home.

I was looking at the reviews of some blowers at Walmart, the HD and Amazon,
but they all had rather poor reviews, except the $ 500 Echos. I don't want
to spend more than @ 100.

Any recommendations based on experience? Is it worth looking at any of the
many re-furbished blowers on E-bay?

Thanks

Walter

--www.rationality.net

How about you don't bother the leaves?

I bother them by running over them with the mulching mower at least
where we have grass. There are a few shreds of leaves scattered around
for a few days but I am not in the make your lawn look like a putting
green competition.

And give nearby folks a break on noise & air pollution?

+1

Two stroke engines dump about 30% of their fuel unburned.
Blowers stir up lots of particulates, the good news, operator suffers
the worst.

Or heaven forbid...use a rake?

Thats what I use in some spots to pull them out so I can get them with
the mower.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sep 4, 5:20 pm, "walter" wrote:
[...]

Why? I can get most of them with the mulching mower and use a pair of
garden gloves to rake out the ones I can get to with the mower. And I
will run the mower just to break down the leaves before winter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 4 Sep 2012 17:20:16 -0700, "walter"
wrote:

My 18 year old Sears leaf blower gave up its ghost. I tried to resuscitate
it by rebuilding the carb, but no joy.

I am looking for an inexpensive gas leaf blower for light duty around my
home.

I was looking at the reviews of some blowers at Walmart, the HD and Amazon,
but they all had rather poor reviews, except the $ 500 Echos. I don't want
to spend more than @ 100.

Any recommendations based on experience? Is it worth looking at any of the
many re-furbished blowers on E-bay?

Thanks

Walter

Have you considered an electric blower?

This one will blow rocks around in my yard:

http://www.amazon.com/Toro-51609-Variable-Speed-Electric-Impeller/dp/B007POATV4

Toro Ultra 3-in-1 blower, vacuum, and leaf shredder makes completing
yard work fun and easy

Move a substantial volume of leaves and debris with ease with air
speeds up to 235 mph and air volume up to 390 cfm

Variable speed motor for better control; rugged metal impeller creates
a fine mulch

Quick-Release Latch lets you convert your blower into a vacuum in
seconds without tools

Comes with power unit, blower tubes, vacuum tubes, and vacuum bag;
2-year warranty

$69.97 @ Amazon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 4, 5:20 pm, "walter" wrote:
[...]

the mower.- Hide quoted text -

Stop by my house and check out the areas that have bushes and my
wife's gardens.

There is no way you're pulling them out with a rake. I even have a
very narrow rake for working around plants.

Option 1 - Get down on my hands and knees and spend hours upon hours
removing the leaves by hand
Option 2 - Stand upright and use a shop vac to remove the leaves from
in and around the bushes and plants.

Guess which option I use?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sep 4, 5:20*pm, "walter" wrote:
[...]

btw..if oyu rake in the fall, they won't pack down during the winter.- Hide quoted text -

I don't know where you live, but we often get snow before all the
leaves are down.

In addition, you can't make the neighbors rake their's and there is
often "blow over" that occurs mid-winter that doesn't get cleaned up
until spring.

At least that's what happens in my neck of the woods.

Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote:
I really like my 5hp craftsman shop vac which also acts as a leaf
blower......

the shop vac just plugs in conveniently around my yard

I miss my Craftsman, it gave up the ghost a couple years ago. Although it
was undersized for my yard, it did the job eventually. Was great for
blowing out the garage too.

Ended up getting a Stihl backpack, does the job as fast as I can move. But,
it only serves the one purpose, unlike the Craftsman shop vac.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sep 4, 5:20*pm, "walter" wrote:
[...]

Rake in the fall where I lived is a joke. No one did it.

If you are really that worried about pollution, why not check out the
oil refineries. They pollute a lot more than a measly leaf blower. I
know because I've been inside many.

ps-- FWIW, landscapers use leaf blowers everyday where I live now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 5 Sep 2012 10:36:35 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

wrote:

On Sep 4, 5:20*pm, "walter" wrote:
[...]

You sound like a person who knows what they are talking about because
when I was young, that's exactly what happened. Of course you could
rake thru out the fall and winter (if no snow) but depending on how
large an area, it might be futile unless you just love to rake. People
there didn't rake till Spring. He's got a point about gloves but I
was young then so I wasn't too worried about my hands.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 05 Sep 2012 15:35:38 -0500, "Doug"
wrote:

If you are really that worried about pollution, why not check out the
oil refineries. They pollute a lot more than a measly leaf blower. I
know because I've been inside many.

What is your opinion about cow flatulence?

I can only guess how you went from a leaf blower to an oil refinery.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug used improper AND LAZY usenet message composition style by
unnecessarily full-quoting:

Of course you could rake thru out the fall and winter (if no snow)
but depending on how large an area, it might be futile unless you
just love to rake. People there didn't rake till Spring. He's got
a point about gloves but I was young then so I wasn't too worried
about my hands.

I use my lawn mower to mulch and bag the leaves, and dump them into
several large garbage cans (compacted by stomping on them) which are
then loaded into my pickup truck for transport to the local municipal
yard-waste drop-off center.

There are many leaf-borne tree diseases that are spread and amplify
through leaf litter that remains over the winter under vulnerable
trees. Leaf removal is therefore a desirable if not necessary thing to
do to promote tree health.

Leaf cover over turf grass can promote fungus and various turf diseases
and therefore should be removed for that reason as well. Naturally this
deleterious effect on grass is proportional to the size of the tree
(larger tree = more leaves) as well as tree density, confined or open
yard configuration, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

If you are really that worried about pollution, why not check out the
oil refineries. They pollute a lot more than a measly leaf blower. I
know because I've been inside many.

What is your opinion about cow flatulence?

I can only guess how you went from a leaf blower to an oil refinery.

I don't think a leaf blower will move a cow pie. You need a shovel for
those.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

If you are really that worried about pollution, why not check out the
oil refineries. They pollute a lot more than a measly leaf blower. I
know because I've been inside many.

What is your opinion about cow flatulence?

I can only guess how you went from a leaf blower to an oil refinery.

I don't think a leaf blower will move a cow pie. You need a shovel for
those.

You haven't tried a Binford 6000 leaf blower!
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

wrote:

On Sep 4, 5:20 pm, "walter" wrote:
[...]

I use my still on snow, too.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 4, 5:20 pm, "walter" wrote:
[...]

Sounds like a much more reasonable approach.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

If you are really that worried about pollution, why not check out the
oil refineries. They pollute a lot more than a measly leaf blower. I
know because I've been inside many.

What is your opinion about cow flatulence?

I can only guess how you went from a leaf blower to an oil refinery.

Can't help on cows. Next point had to do with air pollution.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 05 Sep 2012 19:07:02 -0400, Leaf Erickson
wrote:

[...]

What you say seems to make sense but honestly, we never had any fungi
on the lawn after raking up leaves in Spring. In fact, I don't recall
ever seeing fungus on that lawn. I can't say the same for my current
lawn which does seem to have a fungus problem every August. That
said, the 2 lawns are about 2500 miles apart, different types of grass
and weather.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/4/2012 7:20 PM, walter wrote:
My 18 year old Sears leaf blower gave up its ghost. I tried to
resuscitate it by rebuilding the carb, but no joy.

I am looking for an inexpensive gas leaf blower for light duty around my
home.

I was looking at the reviews of some blowers at Walmart, the HD and
Amazon, but they all had rather poor reviews, except the $ 500 Echos. I
don't want to spend more than @ 100.

Any recommendations based on experience? Is it worth looking at any of
the many re-furbished blowers on E-bay?

Thanks

Walter

LOL!

www.stihlusa.com 'nuff said

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

Consumer model of a diesel leaf.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"notbob" wrote in message
Whatsa gas leaf?

--
Definition of objectivism:
"Eff you! I got mine."

Posted to alt.home.repair

Top-Poaster Stormin Mormon top-posted:

Consumer model of a diesel leaf.

I thought leaves were solar powered...

anybody own a leaf blower ? Rick Hughes[_3_] UK diy 37 October 17th 11 06:07 PM
Leaf Blower? terry Home Repair 23 November 16th 09 05:06 PM
Leaf Blower as Snow Blower [email protected] Home Ownership 6 January 8th 08 01:42 AM
Leaf Blower 101 Charles Pisano Home Repair 14 May 31st 07 06:30 PM
Leaf blower - How to buy Darro Home Repair 4 September 14th 05 03:34 AM