Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Leaf Blower 101

What is the best value in leaf blowers. Or should I say , who makes the
best ones (either/both?). I prefer electric so as to avoid inhaling any
more fumes than I already do in this world.

TIA
CP

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charles Pisano" wrote

What is the best value in leaf blowers. Or should I say , who makes the
best ones (either/both?). I prefer electric so as to avoid inhaling any
more fumes than I already do in this world.

Leaf Blower 101, buy a rake and a broom. Heh. I swear,
last fall it's lucky there wasn't a leaf blower rage killing in
my neighborhood, me being the murderer.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Charles Pisano wrote:
What is the best value in leaf blowers. Or should I say , who makes the
best ones (either/both?). I prefer electric so as to avoid inhaling any
more fumes than I already do in this world.

TIA

I've used a Toro blower/chopper for going on 4 years now. Cost less
than $80 IIRC, still going strong. The compact leaf mulch dumps into a
large trash bag perfectly from the catchbag and eliminates raking
completely. Yes, it's electrric. Seems like a good price/value
relation to me...parts can be had from many dealers, too. HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair
SJF SJF is offline

"Charles Pisano" wrote in message
What is the best value in leaf blowers. Or should I say , who makes the
best ones (either/both?). I prefer electric so as to avoid inhaling any
more fumes than I already do in this world.

TIA
CP

My personal view --

If you're just taking care of your own moderately sized yard, buy one for
price and convenient size. The only function worth having is the blower. I
never used the vacuum attachment on a previous blower after giving it a try.
The small ones will blow leaves from under shrubbery and clear the walks of
grass clippings. And they are cheap enough that concern over durability and
life span are hardly worth the concern.

My last one, purchased three years ago, is a small electric Weedeater which
cost about $25. It does everything I need it to do.

SJF

Posted to alt.home.repair

You cannot use "best" and "electric" in the same sentence. Get a stihl.
The hand held BG65 is enough for most people. You'll never smell the
exhaust unless you use it in the house.

--
Steve Barker

"Charles Pisano" wrote in message
What is the best value in leaf blowers. Or should I say , who makes the
best ones (either/both?). I prefer electric so as to avoid inhaling any
more fumes than I already do in this world.

TIA
CP

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
You cannot use "best" and "electric" in the same sentence. Get a stihl.
The hand held BG65 is enough for most people. You'll never smell the
exhaust unless you use it in the house.

--
Steve Barker

"Charles Pisano" wrote in message
What is the best value in leaf blowers. Or should I say , who makes the
best ones (either/both?). I prefer electric so as to avoid inhaling any
more fumes than I already do in this world.

TIA
CP

I like electric tools for infrequent homeowner use. The question was for
"best value." For an average homeowner that may only use the blower once or
twice a year, a gasoline-powered blower is not the answer. Even with proper
care, oil-changing, adding Stabil, etc., it's problematic whether it will
restart after sitting in the garage unused for a year. Better to have an
electric such as the Toro, which is dependable and doesn't require a lot of
preventive maintenance between infrequent uses.

I use an electric Toro blower instead of my John Deere gas-powered. -- I've
also got three pressure cleaners, and the light-weight $80 electric is far
more convenient and gets more use than either of the larger gas-powered
units. When I have to pressure clean the long dock behind the house I'll
fire up the gas-powered washer, but if I'm just cleaning off the car or boat
the light-weight Husky electric is the pressure washer of choice. If / when
it ever breaks down I'll just replace it with a new one for $80 and change.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JimR" writes:

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
You cannot use "best" and "electric" in the same sentence. Get a stihl.
The hand held BG65 is enough for most people. You'll never smell the
exhaust unless you use it in the house.

--
Steve Barker

"Charles Pisano" wrote in message
What is the best value in leaf blowers. Or should I say , who makes the
best ones (either/both?). I prefer electric so as to avoid inhaling any
more fumes than I already do in this world.

TIA
CP

I like electric tools for infrequent homeowner use.

I like electric too, but it really depends on what you need
to use it for.

I had an electric blower, it was useless for the amount of leaves
I had to deal with. I have a about a dozen full size Tulip Poplars.

I gave the electric away and now use a gas backpack blower,
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 30, 10:11 am, Dan Espen
wrote:
"JimR" writes:
"Steve Barker" wrote in message
m...
You cannot use "best" and "electric" in the same sentence. Get a stihl.
The hand held BG65 is enough for most people. You'll never smell the
exhaust unless you use it in the house.

--
Steve Barker

"Charles Pisano" wrote in message
What is the best value in leaf blowers. Or should I say , who makes the
best ones (either/both?). I prefer electric so as to avoid inhaling any
more fumes than I already do in this world.

TIA
CP

I like electric tools for infrequent homeowner use.

I like electric too, but it really depends on what you need
to use it for.

I had an electric blower, it was useless for the amount of leaves
I had to deal with. I have a about a dozen full size Tulip Poplars.

I gave the electric away and now use a gas backpack blower,- Hide quoted text -

I'm in this same camp. If it's a small enough job that an electric
can handle it, it could have been done in half the time with a rake or
broom. I've not seen an electric that can move leaves that are in
grass at all. If you're just blowing a few leaves off of your patio
or driveway an electric may cut the mustard, but if you're trying to
get the fall leaves off the lawn I don't think an electric will be
sufficient, even if used every other day or so.
Years ago my father purchased an electric thinking it would do his
yard in MA. It got used for the porch, that's all. It was a decent
one, certainly not inexpensive, but didn't do the job. It still hangs
in his shed years later collecting dust, something it does far better
than it moves leaves. His current blower is a quality wheeled gas
unit that you push around like a mower. Easy as pie to use, very very
effective. Myself, I've got a small lawn. I rake it or toss a
neighborhood kid a little scratch to rake it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Max Max is offline

On Wed, 30 May 2007 10:11:09 -0400, Dan Espen
graced this newsgroup with:

I like electric tools for infrequent homeowner use.

I like electric too, but it really depends on what you need
to use it for.

I had an electric blower, it was useless for the amount of leaves
I had to deal with. I have a about a dozen full size Tulip Poplars.

I gave the electric away and now use a gas backpack blower,

The only purpose I've found for an electric blower has been to blow
the water off my Harley after I've washed it.

Otherwise, I use my Redmax backpack blower.

For me, it's significantly more effective and can accomplish the
same task as a smaller blower in less than half the time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, I was going to say..... If you choose electric, you might just as well
stick a drinking straw in your mouth and blow leaves with that. And if you
only need one twice a year, use a rake.

--
Steve Barker

"Dan Espen" wrote in message
"JimR" writes:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for all of the input. I have a home in Fla (lawn service does)
and one in Pa. So I'd rather have elec as it will sit all winter in Pa.
Plus I'm overly sensitive to pollution.

I really only need it to blow off the deck and driveway. Long driveway
and this time of year we get those fuzzy seed pods. You can sweep them
away but the fuzz from them stays. And a week later you've got to sweep
it again. And in the fall I'd like it to blow the leaves off the drive
and deck. Other than that, I'm not adverse to raking the property.

I wont say I've got a 'lawn' (to rake), if you saw my Pa home you
wouldnt' either. It's set up not to be grass friendly, the way a
vaction home should be..

So I guess I'll get a low powered electric toro..

CP

Posted to alt.home.repair
dss dss is offline

CP,

Take a look at the Black and Decker Leaf Hog blower/vac. With a 100'
heavy duty extension cord (yellow) I can get to most places in my
yard. It is a powerful blower (230 mph) and does a decent job sucking
up even wet leaves, although I usually wait until they are dry to
avoid clogs. With the garbage can connector I can create a lot of
mulch from blown piles of leaves. The small bag is good for window
wells and the like. My yard has about 30 oaks, elms, ashes, etc and
the Leaf Hog has held up well for 3 years. Up on the roof (low pitched
rambler) it does a good job clearing debris, even from the gutters (if
dry).

My neighbor has one and it makes much less noise than the gas powered
ones and it starts every time. Raking is better for the lawn, but I
hate to rake. It does take more time to set it up than it does to blow
off the patio. I should have gotten one years ago.

dss

Posted to alt.home.repair

thanks will do.. I DO need a gutter solution..

Leaf blower ..plus Charles Pisano Home Repair 4 April 28th 07 03:45 AM
Use a leaf blower? Steve Home Ownership 18 November 1st 05 01:45 PM
Leaf Blower Help Harry Home Repair 3 September 23rd 05 10:41 PM
Leaf blower - How to buy Darro Home Repair 4 September 14th 05 04:34 AM
Leaf Blower Glenn Hewitt Home Repair 2 May 13th 05 09:29 PM