Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to glue rubber to steel

I have a very old, but lovable children's table and chair set. The table
and the chairs have heavy metal legs, which look like steel and appear
to be solid (not tubes). Each one has a little white cap or foot made of
(I think) rubber. Some of the feet are cracked or split and some are
just loose. I have tried taping them, but it doesn't last and looks
awful.

Is there a glue that will permanently stick these rubber feet to the
metal legs? I have some T-88, but the list it works on does not include
either metal or rubber.

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 19:08:28 -0700, Jennifer Murphy
wrote:

I have a very old, but lovable children's table and chair set. The table
and the chairs have heavy metal legs, which look like steel and appear
to be solid (not tubes). Each one has a little white cap or foot made of
(I think) rubber. Some of the feet are cracked or split and some are
just loose. I have tried taping them, but it doesn't last and looks
awful.

Is there a glue that will permanently stick these rubber feet to the
metal legs? I have some T-88, but the list it works on does not include
either metal or rubber.

Thanks

http://www.thistothat.com/

or

http://www.thistothat.com/cgi-bin/glue.cgi?lang=en&this=Rubber&that=Metal

Good luck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 2, 7:08*pm, Jennifer Murphy wrote:
I have a very old, but lovable children's table and chair set. The table
and the chairs have heavy metal legs, which look like steel and appear
to be solid (not tubes). Each one has a little white cap or foot made of
(I think) rubber. Some of the feet are cracked or split and some are
just loose. I have tried taping them, but it doesn't last and looks
awful.

Is there a glue that will permanently stick these rubber feet to the
metal legs? I have some T-88, but the list it works on does not include
either metal or rubber.

Thanks

How about a photo of the situation?

Diameter of leg material? Does the tube leg terminate with no change
in diameter, no footpad?

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Jennifer Murphy wrote:

I have a very old, but lovable children's table and chair set. The table
and the chairs have heavy metal legs, which look like steel and appear
to be solid (not tubes). Each one has a little white cap or foot made of
(I think) rubber. Some of the feet are cracked or split and some are
just loose. I have tried taping them, but it doesn't last and looks
awful.

Is there a glue that will permanently stick these rubber feet to the
metal legs? I have some T-88, but the list it works on does not include
either metal or rubber.

Thanks

I'd be shopping for new feet, instead. The rubber is shot, as evidenced
by the cracking, and loss of grip. The first place I'd look is McMaster
Carr, just because it's convenient, but not necessarily because they'd
have a large selection. (There is probably a website called rubberfeet
dot com, although I haven't actually tried it.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a very old, but lovable children's table and chair set. The table
and the chairs have heavy metal legs, which look like steel and appear
to be solid (not tubes). Each one has a little white cap or foot made of
(I think) rubber. Some of the feet are cracked or split and some are
just loose. I have tried taping them, but it doesn't last and looks
awful.

Is there a glue that will permanently stick these rubber feet to the
metal legs? I have some T-88, but the list it works on does not include
either metal or rubber.

Thanks

http://www.thistothat.com/

or

http://www.thistothat.com/cgi-bin/glue.cgi?lang=en&this=Rubber&that=Metal

Thanks for the link. I was hoping someone had personal experience they
could relate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 2 Sep 2012 19:17:30 -0700 (PDT), DD_BobK
wrote:

On Sep 2, 7:08*pm, Jennifer Murphy wrote:
I have a very old, but lovable children's table and chair set. The table
and the chairs have heavy metal legs, which look like steel and appear
to be solid (not tubes). Each one has a little white cap or foot made of
(I think) rubber. Some of the feet are cracked or split and some are
just loose. I have tried taping them, but it doesn't last and looks
awful.

Is there a glue that will permanently stick these rubber feet to the
metal legs? I have some T-88, but the list it works on does not include
either metal or rubber.

Thanks

How about a photo of the situation?

Diameter of leg material? Does the tube leg terminate with no change
in diameter, no footpad?

The legs are just under 0.5 in diameter. The feet have a rounded bottom,
and are only about an inch long. The legs go just over half an inch into
the feet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 20:18:38 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
Jennifer Murphy wrote:

[...]

I have looked around a little at local hardware stores. But I'd like to
keep the original feet, if possible.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/2/2012 7:08 PM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:
I have a very old, but lovable children's table and chair set. The table
and the chairs have heavy metal legs, which look like steel and appear
to be solid (not tubes). Each one has a little white cap or foot made of
(I think) rubber. Some of the feet are cracked or split and some are
just loose. I have tried taping them, but it doesn't last and looks
awful.

Is there a glue that will permanently stick these rubber feet to the
metal legs? I have some T-88, but the list it works on does not include
either metal or rubber.

Thanks

Depends on whether you need structural strength or to just keep it from
falling off.
I use the stuff used to hold rubber weatherstripping on your car door.
Holds rubber well, but it's not very strong.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jennifer Murphy wrote:
On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 20:18:38 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
Jennifer Murphy wrote:

[...]

Not possible. Rubber-type material almost always deteriorates. First it gets
hard and brittle, then cracks, and eventually turns to dust.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you don't get any other ideas, please consider
a good brand of silicone caulk. That can be adhesive,
and also rather flexible.

GE brand is good. My experience with latex caulk,
Dow is wow, Dap is crap.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Jennifer Murphy" wrote in message

The legs are just under 0.5 in diameter. The feet
have a rounded bottom, and are only about an
inch long. The legs go just over half an inch into
the feet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 3 Sep 2012 05:23:56 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Jennifer Murphy wrote:
On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 20:18:38 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
Jennifer Murphy wrote:

[...]

Then maybe this is not rubber. It's not at all hard or brittle. Most of
then are just a little loose. The ones that are cracked or split just
have small cracks around the edges, probably from being taken on and off
many times.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 23:05:28 -0700, mike wrote:

On 9/2/2012 7:08 PM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:
I have a very old, but lovable children's table and chair set. The table
and the chairs have heavy metal legs, which look like steel and appear
to be solid (not tubes). Each one has a little white cap or foot made of
(I think) rubber. Some of the feet are cracked or split and some are
just loose. I have tried taping them, but it doesn't last and looks
awful.

Is there a glue that will permanently stick these rubber feet to the
metal legs? I have some T-88, but the list it works on does not include
either metal or rubber.

Thanks

Depends on whether you need structural strength or to just keep it from
falling off.
I use the stuff used to hold rubber weatherstripping on your car door.
Holds rubber well, but it's not very strong.

Auto supply store? Brand name?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jennifer Murphy wrote:
I have a very old, but lovable children's table and chair set. The
table and the chairs have heavy metal legs, which look like steel and
appear to be solid (not tubes). Each one has a little white cap or
foot made of (I think) rubber. Some of the feet are cracked or split
and some are just loose. I have tried taping them, but it doesn't
last and looks awful.

Is there a glue that will permanently stick these rubber feet to the
metal legs? I have some T-88, but the list it works on does not
include either metal or rubber.

Better to replace them if you can. Look for cane/crutch tips.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/2/2012 10:08 PM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:
I have a very old, but lovable children's table and chair set. The table
and the chairs have heavy metal legs, which look like steel and appear
to be solid (not tubes). Each one has a little white cap or foot made of
(I think) rubber. Some of the feet are cracked or split and some are
just loose. I have tried taping them, but it doesn't last and looks
awful.

Is there a glue that will permanently stick these rubber feet to the
metal legs? I have some T-88, but the list it works on does not include
either metal or rubber.

Thanks

I agree with others comments that feet are degraded. Original adhesion
was probably just a friction fit as feet are kept in place by weight of
the chairs and table.

Personally, what I might try is Gorilla glue. Gorilla glue is a
polyurethane that cures with moisture and expands due to carbon dioxide
evolution. After applying, I'd bind tightly and let it glue everything
together - plastic to steel and plastic to plastic. If feet are
degrading, this would not be a permanent fix but might last a few years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jenny,

Auto supply store. Permatex brand. Weather Strip Cement.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
[...]

I would suggest not using Gorilla glue. That will dry in the wrong color
and will end up being brittle and will just crack.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 3, 3:08*am, Jennifer Murphy wrote:
I have a very old, but lovable children's table and chair set. The table
and the chairs have heavy metal legs, which look like steel and appear
to be solid (not tubes). Each one has a little white cap or foot made of
(I think) rubber. Some of the feet are cracked or split and some are
just loose. I have tried taping them, but it doesn't last and looks
awful.

Is there a glue that will permanently stick these rubber feet to the
metal legs? I have some T-88, but the list it works on does not include
either metal or rubber.

Thanks

Use the rubber protectors intended for walking sticks. Glue on if
neccessary.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jennifer Murphy wrote:
I have a very old, but lovable children's table and chair set. The
table and the chairs have heavy metal legs, which look like steel and
appear to be solid (not tubes). Each one has a little white cap or
foot made of (I think) rubber. Some of the feet are cracked or split
and some are just loose. I have tried taping them, but it doesn't
last and looks awful.

Is there a glue that will permanently stick these rubber feet to the
metal legs? I have some T-88, but the list it works on does not
include either metal or rubber.

Thanks

I think you need something that has adhesive properties and also stays
slightly flexible when dry. And, since the rubber feet are white, something
that is either white or clear would probably be best.

There are white silicone caulks, but if they don't say "adhesive" caulk,
they probably won't have the adhesive quality that you need. So, something
that is just 100% silicone caulk and doesn't say "adhesive" caulk probably
won't work.

Here are a few examples of what I think may work:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=1425852

http://www.pepboys.com/product/detai...ils+Controller

http://www.pepboys.com/car_care/adhe...s_glues/00059/ .

What I would do is go to a Home Depot and look in the paints section for
glues and adhesives and look for products with the qualities I mentioned
above -- stays flexible, adhesive quality, and dries either clear or white.

Good luck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Definitely need to see a photo of the furniture,
it sounds like it is older school type chairs...

In that case the part you are looking for is called
a "glide" and it is made of nylon not rubber as
a pad of rubber on a chair foot would mark most
of the types of flooring such furniture was designed
to be used on...

The entire foot assembly is one unit, you can not
repair or attempt to re-glue the little white pad back
on the bottom once it cracks or comes off, you just
take that entire foot off and replace it with a new one
as the pads are not glued in place, they are crimped/
press fit into the bottom of the foot...

This webpage will give you an idea of the type of foot
I am describing:

http://www.allglides.com/nylonbase.html

Please confirm this is the type of feet used on your
chairs and table or host a photo of your chair's legs
and link to the picture here in a response...

These items are generally not stocked in any
hardware store but some of the better independent
hardware stores might be willing to order them for
you if you know the size you need...

Senior Member

Jennifer:

If you're looking for rubber feet that resemble any of those in this photo:

just look in your yellow pages phone directory under Upholstery & Upholstering Supplies, or phone any upholsterer in your area and find out who sells upholstering supplies in your area. If that place doesn't have them in stock, they'll have cataloges from which you can see what they can order.

And, yes, if you pay cash then they will sell directly to you because no upholsterer is going to bark at them for stealing his business over an item like this.

Last edited by nestork : September 4th 12 at 05:58 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a very old, but lovable children's table and chair set. The table
and the chairs have heavy metal legs, which look like steel and appear
to be solid (not tubes). Each one has a little white cap or foot made of
(I think) rubber. Some of the feet are cracked or split and some are
just loose. I have tried taping them, but it doesn't last and looks
awful.

Is there a glue that will permanently stick these rubber feet to the
metal legs? I have some T-88, but the list it works on does not include
either metal or rubber.

I went to the local hardware store and checked out the glues. None were
an exact match. I ended up getting a tube of Amazing Goop. The repair is
done and it seems to be solid.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/3/2012 10:57 AM, TomR wrote:
Frank wrote:
[...]

Then you paint it.
Point is that if you stick with original feet, its not just plastic to
steel but plastic to plastic. It's just a kiddie souvenir which would
not take a lot of abuse.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a very old, but lovable children's table and chair set. The table
and the chairs have heavy metal legs, which look like steel and appear
to be solid (not tubes). Each one has a little white cap or foot made of
(I think) rubber. Some of the feet are cracked or split and some are
just loose. I have tried taping them, but it doesn't last and looks
awful.

Is there a glue that will permanently stick these rubber feet to the
metal legs? I have some T-88, but the list it works on does not include
either metal or rubber.

I went to the local hardware store and checked out the glues. None were
an exact match. I ended up getting a tube of Amazing Goop. The repair is
done and it seems to be solid.

Thanks for the update. I'm glad it worked out.

I did a Google search for "Amazing Goop" and it looks like there are several
different types of glue under the same general brand name. Did you find one
type of Amazing Goop in particular that seemed like it would work well? --
such as one that is white in color, remains somewhat flexible when dry, etc?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 20:05:03 -0400, "TomR" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Yes, there were several types in the hardware store. I got the one that
looked like the best choice, although I can't recall what the
differences were.

The one I got is labelled "Household". It's in a purple tube almost, but
not exactly, like this:

http://www.eclecticproducts.com/household.htm

The glue is clear. It looks and smells a lot like the airplane glue we
used to use to make model airplanes.

So far, it's working well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I used to superglue my motor mounts in my 64 1/2 mustang, until I replaced
he mount.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for following up and posting that.

I did a Google search and found this link shat shows the directions, product
details, etc. for that particular product:

http://www.directionsforme.org/index...00076818030010 .

And, under Product Details it says,

"Amazing Goop Household dries to a waterproof, rubber-like consistency
that's flexible, so it won't break or crack under stress an dishwasher/dryer
safe. Won't become brittle like super glues!"

So, it looks like you made a good pick for the type of project you had.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I love goop. It sticks and it's tough at the same time. Use marine goop for
uv protection.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

5 minute epoxy will work but the plastic is likely to become brittle over time anyways, as mentioned by another poster. Silicone would also work just as well.

Jumlers.com Catering
Michael Lalonde
Sudbury, Ontario
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, September 2, 2012 10:08:05 PM UTC-4, Jennifer Murphy wrote:
I have a very old, but lovable children's table and chair set. The table

and the chairs have heavy metal legs, which look like steel and appear

to be solid (not tubes). Each one has a little white cap or foot made of

(I think) rubber. Some of the feet are cracked or split and some are

just loose. I have tried taping them, but it doesn't last and looks

awful.

Is there a glue that will permanently stick these rubber feet to the

metal legs? I have some T-88, but the list it works on does not include

either metal or rubber.

Thanks

My brother and his wife are into the 50's look for their kitchen and have the tables and chairs with that type of rubber feet. I think he got his at the BIG STORE. Cant imagine why you wouldn't want to replace them.

help glue PVC to silicon rubber? KG Metalworking 1 September 6th 10 02:20 PM
glue for plastic and rubber AKA gray asphalt Home Repair 7 November 6th 07 12:42 PM
Rubber "glue" TonyK UK diy 2 February 19th 05 11:30 PM
What glue for foarm rubber meirman Home Repair 7 January 22nd 05 06:41 PM
Glue for rubber to Al? Al A. Metalworking 10 January 6th 05 01:42 AM