Posted to alt.home.repair

Default glue for plastic and rubber

I've got a select comfort bed. It has a nozzle for inserting air.
For the second time it has popped out. Select Comfort replaced
the mattress the first time. I'd like to glue it back myself.

The nozzle is hard white plastic and it is inserted into brownish
rubberlike pad with matching hole. The glue residue looks like
gorilla glue. Select Comfort says it is a trade secret what kind
of industrial glue they use. Sounds dumb to me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"AKA gray asphalt" wrote in message
I've got a select comfort bed. It has a nozzle for inserting air.
For the second time it has popped out. Select Comfort replaced
the mattress the first time. I'd like to glue it back myself.

The nozzle is hard white plastic and it is inserted into brownish
rubberlike pad with matching hole. The glue residue looks like
gorilla glue. Select Comfort says it is a trade secret what kind
of industrial glue they use. Sounds dumb to me.

I don't have any idea about the glue, but if I was putting something
together and it wasn't holding, I wouldn't tell anybody what I was using
either,

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair

"AKA gray asphalt" wrote in message
I've got a select comfort bed. It has a nozzle for inserting air.
For the second time it has popped out. Select Comfort replaced
the mattress the first time. I'd like to glue it back myself.

The nozzle is hard white plastic and it is inserted into brownish
rubberlike pad with matching hole. The glue residue looks like
gorilla glue. Select Comfort says it is a trade secret what kind
of industrial glue they use. Sounds dumb to me.

Some plastics just don't stick with glue so just saying it is hard while
plastic is meaningless. It may be styrene, ABS polyethylene, polypropylene,
nylon, glass filled nylon, Delrin or a hundred others. The brownish
rubber-like pad can be one of a few hundred compounds also.

They may or may not use Gorilla glue. Tell them to send you some glue or a
new mattress.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
et...

"AKA gray asphalt" wrote in message
I've got a select comfort bed. It has a nozzle for inserting air.
For the second time it has popped out. Select Comfort replaced
the mattress the first time. I'd like to glue it back myself.

The nozzle is hard white plastic and it is inserted into brownish
rubberlike pad with matching hole. The glue residue looks like
gorilla glue. Select Comfort says it is a trade secret what kind
of industrial glue they use. Sounds dumb to me.

Some plastics just don't stick with glue so just saying it is hard while
plastic is meaningless. It may be styrene, ABS polyethylene,
polypropylene, nylon, glass filled nylon, Delrin or a hundred others. The
brownish rubber-like pad can be one of a few hundred compounds also.

They may or may not use Gorilla glue. Tell them to send you some glue or
a new mattress.

I bought a foam mattress and am happy. I think select comfort mattresses
sucks
but they have one of the nicest and most accomodating people I've ever dealt
with. Whoever trains or hires them deserves a metal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"AKA gray asphalt" wrote:

I think select comfort mattresses
sucks
but they have one of the nicest and most accomodating people I've ever dealt
with. Whoever trains or hires them deserves a metal.

They have an incentive program. A BJ from Lindsey Wagner for every sale.

Posted to alt.home.repair

AKA gray asphalt wrote:
I've got a select comfort bed. It has a nozzle for inserting air.
For the second time it has popped out. Select Comfort replaced
the mattress the first time. I'd like to glue it back myself.

The nozzle is hard white plastic and it is inserted into brownish
rubberlike pad with matching hole. The glue residue looks like
gorilla glue. Select Comfort says it is a trade secret what kind
of industrial glue they use. Sounds dumb to me.

They're lying. When company employees don't know something, they'll
claim it's a trade secret or proprietary information.

If they use something like Gorilla glue, there are other urethane
glues that may work better. The Oct. 2007 Consumer Reports said that
Loctite Sumo was the best for sticking to plastic, followed by Elmer's
Ultimate and Liquid Nails Rhino Ultra. OTOH if Select Comfort uses
rubber glue, the best may be the high temperature kind sold by
appliance parts dealers for gluing felt strips to clothes dryer
drums. But also good is CRC automotive disk brake anti-squeal:

http://www.crcindustries.com/auto/co...x?PN=05016&S=N

It's not advertised as a glue but is actually hi-temp rubber glue. It
takes a long time to cure and also stains.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 6, 6:14 am, larry moe 'n curly
wrote:
AKA gray asphalt wrote:
[...]

What leads you to believe disk brake anti-squeal, even if it is a
glue, would be a good choice for gluing hard plastic to a softer
rubber-like material at room temp? Or that high temp glue for a
clothes dryer felt would work on hard plastic either?

Rubber "glue" TonyK UK diy 2 February 19th 05 11:30 PM
What glue for foarm rubber meirman Home Repair 7 January 22nd 05 06:41 PM
Glue for rubber to Al? Al A. Metalworking 10 January 6th 05 01:42 AM
conductive rubber glue? jtaylor Metalworking 16 December 22nd 04 04:25 AM
conductive rubber glue? jtaylor Electronics Repair 14 December 22nd 04 04:25 AM