Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cheap carpeting? Not my fault?

Hello, I have lived in an apartment with two kids for the
last five years. Everything that spills on the carpet leaves
a stain. The carpet looks gross. Cleaning up a mess
just makes a bigger stain.

Do landlords have access to cheap carpet that allows the
above senario to happen? IF you have the answer, please
don't spare any details. Thanks in advance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 13:45:22 -0700 (PDT), geo pearl
wrote:

Hello, I have lived in an apartment with two kids for the
last five years. Everything that spills on the carpet leaves
a stain. The carpet looks gross. Cleaning up a mess
just makes a bigger stain.

Do landlords have access to cheap carpet that allows the
above senario to happen? IF you have the answer, please
don't spare any details. Thanks in advance.

Yes. Have the carpet cleaned by a real professional. Not one of those
that clean 3 rooms for $29.00.

Check with family, friends or co-workers for a reference.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 25 Aug 2012 20:53:51 GMT, Han wrote:

geo pearl wrote in news:8aa4d88a-4352-479e-815d-
:

Hello, I have lived in an apartment with two kids for the
last five years. Everything that spills on the carpet leaves
a stain. The carpet looks gross. Cleaning up a mess
just makes a bigger stain.

Do landlords have access to cheap carpet that allows the
above senario to happen? IF you have the answer, please
don't spare any details. Thanks in advance.

What can possible spill on the carpet? You're supposed to keep the food on
a plate, and the beer in the glass ...

Says the guy with wooden floors ...

Ever live in an apartment that had wooden floors? Not me. And the
carpet was cheap. Doo Doo Happens.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 25, 4:45*pm, geo pearl wrote:
Hello, I have lived in an apartment with two kids for the
last five years. Everything that spills on the carpet leaves
a stain. The carpet looks gross. Cleaning up a mess
just makes a bigger stain.

Do landlords have access to cheap carpet that allows the
above senario to happen? *IF you have the answer, please
don't spare any details. Thanks in advance.

Yes, cheap carpets exist, so do cheap pads...

It is about the yard weight in ounces and the type of
backing material...

With two kids you should own a small upright carpet
spot cleaner so you can take up the spots while they
are still wet... You also want to BLOT not RUB spots
when you are trying to soak them up as rubbing only
ensures that the spill penetrates deeper into the piles
of the carpeting and spreads out...

I would not worry about the condition of the carpets
after a five or six year tenancy, that would be considered
normal wear and tear and all of the carpeting would be
replaced before a new tenant moves in if you left at
this point and it would have no impact on any damage
deposit as normal wear and tear is not "damage"...

Damage is specific breakages which are not normal
in nature or are unusual in character or caused by
some neglect on the part of the occupant (i.e. you
have a cheap bathroom with a laminate floor and
you don't take the proper care with your shower
curtain and the floor is damaged and peeling up
against the shower)...

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's all part of a vast, left wing globalist conspiracy. Rich white men in
board rooms, plan how to make your life miserable. Millionaires, and
Billionaires. All of them liberal Democrats.

Next time, vote Republican, and your life will improve.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"geo pearl" wrote in message
Hello, I have lived in an apartment with two kids for the
last five years. Everything that spills on the carpet leaves
a stain. The carpet looks gross. Cleaning up a mess
just makes a bigger stain.

Do landlords have access to cheap carpet that allows the
above senario to happen? IF you have the answer, please
don't spare any details. Thanks in advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"George" wrote

We have some rentals and some people leave it better than they found it
and some think nothing of spilling stuff on the carpet and either doing a
lame job or nothing to clean it up. Cheap quality has little to do with
it.

I have three vacation rentals in Las Vegas. Just had to replace a whole
sofa bed because of two fat bubba Texans rasslin and crushing the frame.
You just do what you can. Over our 8+ year history, we've done pretty good.
And the money's there when something needs fixing or replaced. Vacation
rentals are way better than rentals, if your location is satisfactory, and
your original mortgage is in line.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 25, 5:31*pm, Evan wrote:
[...]

Of course if your were the landlord you would have
a different opinon of normal wear and tear. I'd say
10 years would be a more normal life for carpet.
Has the OP even cleaned it in 5 years? If a tenent
destroyed my carpet in 5 years I'd keep part of the
deposit to pay for 1/2 the cost of new carpet.
Tenent doesn't like it, they can sue me. So, I'd
say the OP does indeed have something to worry
about.

Damage is specific breakages which are not normal
in nature or are unusual in character or caused by
some neglect on the part of the occupant

Like the spills from 2 kids. If a tenent spills
something that leaves a visible stain on 5 year old carpet,
even after it's been professionally clean, I say they are on the hook
for it. Add to that the landlord
has the security deposit and good luck winning.

(i.e. you
have a cheap bathroom with a laminate floor and
you don't take the proper care with your shower
curtain and the floor is damaged and peeling up
against the shower)...

It's carpet, not laminate. Wandering again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 25, 8:37*pm, "
wrote:
On Aug 25, 5:31*pm, Evan wrote:

[...]

And you would be laughed out of court when you
were sued potentially having to pay the tenants
3x the amount you illegally withheld...

There is no way cheap nylon cut pile carpeting
is going to last 10 years unless you treat your
house like it is a museum... The nap of the carpet
itself breaks down with the back and forth traffic
of one or two people before that long... That is normal
wear and tear just like minor defects/dirt on the
walls which are repainted between tenants...

If the landlord is really a cheap asshole then
they could potentially get away 3with just
cleaning the carpet but the "fresh new" carpet
is often a selling point...

Damage is specific and stems from misuse, not
normal occupancy activities... Sorry but carpets
get dirty under normal use and it is not the tenants
responsibility to have them cleaned unless that is
specifically enumerated in the lease agreement...

Oh, by the way, you can **** yourself if you don't
like my examples trader4...
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo pearl View Post
Hello, I have lived in an apartment with two kids for the
last five years. Everything that spills on the carpet leaves
a stain. The carpet looks gross. Cleaning up a mess
just makes a bigger stain.

Do landlords have access to cheap carpet that allows the
above senario to happen? IF you have the answer, please
don't spare any details. Thanks in advance.
The answer to your question is NO. Landlords, like myself, buy the carpets for our apartments from the local carpet retailers just like homeowners do.

But, since we buy carpet much more often than homeowners do, we generally deal with the "commercial" sales people and get a better price. Also, because many of us are in the business of maintaining and renovating our properties, we tend to know a lot more about construction and renovation materials and practices than homeowners do. So, we know much more about the carpets we're buying so as to ensure we're buying the carpet that best meets our needs.

Just as there are different ways of skinning cats, there are different styles of managing rental properties. In my own building I install only SOLUTION DYED LEVEL LOOP NYLON CARPETS.

That's because:
NYLON - is the strongest of the 3 plastic fibers (nylon, polyester, olefin) used to make carpet in North America, so nylon fiber makes for the longest wearing carpet. Over 90 percent of the commercial carpeting sold in the USA is made from nylon fiber.

LEVEL LOOP - means the loops of the nylon yarns are all equal in height, and there's a natural resilience to a loop, thereby ensuring the normally long lifespan of a nylon carpet.

SOLUTION DYED - means that the fibers used to make the carpet don't get their colour from dyes applied to the outer surface of the fiber (which is what you get with conventionally dyed carpets). Instead, the colour comes from tiny coloured solid particles (called "pigments") which were added to the nylon as it was being drawn into a fiber. Consequently, the colour of the carpet comes from these pigments suspended in the otherwise clear or transluscent nylon plastic very much like the raisins are suspended in raisin bread.

By using solution dyed level loop nylon carpet, you're getting the longest wearing carpet available AND because those coloured pigments that give the carpet it's colour are encased in nylon plastic, you can use bleach straight out of the jug to remove stains from solution dyed carpets without harming the carpet. That's because the bleach never actually comes into contact with the pigments because they're encased in nylon. With a conventionally dyed carpet, the colour comes from coloured dye molecules on the outside of whatever kind of fiber the carpet is made of.

And, in fact, the least expensive carpeting commonly available is Olefin carpeting, and ALL 100% Olefin carpets are solution dyed, so that you can use bleach to remove stains from them. But, Olefin is a weaker fiber and so level loop Olefin carpets simply don't stand up to foot traffic as well as level loop nylon carpets do.

Or, at least, I'd like to think that a smart landlord would learn about carpeting and purchase the kind of carpeting that best meets his needs.

Last edited by nestork : August 26th 12 at 06:41 AM

Senior Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan[_3_] View Post
On Aug 25, 4:45*pm, geo pearl wrote:
Hello, I have lived in an apartment with two kids for the
last five years. Everything that spills on the carpet leaves
a stain. The carpet looks gross. Cleaning up a mess
just makes a bigger stain.

Do landlords have access to cheap carpet that allows the
above senario to happen? *IF you have the answer, please
don't spare any details. Thanks in advance.

With two kids you should own a small upright carpet
spot cleaner so you can take up the spots while they
are still wet...

I would not worry about the condition of the carpets
after a five or six year tenancy, that would be considered
normal wear and tear and all of the carpeting would be
replaced before a new tenant moves in if you left at
this point and it would have no impact on any damage
deposit as normal wear and tear is not "damage"...
Two points, Evan:

Mini carpet shampoo'ers like those sold by Bissell, Eureka, Hoover and others are designed by the sales department, not the engineering department. They try to fit too many functions into a small price and the result is that you end up with a product that simply doesn't work as well as a simpler one would.

What Geopear might want to do instead is to buy a small wet/dry vaccuum cleaner like those sold by Sears, and a hand held spray bottle. Then, he/she could go to any place listed under "Janitorial Equipment & Supplies" in their yellow pages phone book and buy a "spotting solution" (pronounced "stain remover") meant to remove the kind of liquid that was spilled on their carpet.

Professional carpet cleaning contractors will typically buy a "spotting kit" which will consist of anywhere from 8 to 22 different spotting solutions, some brushes, absorbant pads and a spray bottle top that can be screwed onto any of the spotting solution bottles. But, you can buy bottles of each spotting solution separately, which is what the pros do if they run out of something. So, if you can at least remember what you spilled on the carpet, the nice man at the janitorial supply store will sell you the right stuff to remove it. And, janitorial supply stores will sell to the general public cuz there's no such thing as a cleaning product retailer store that's going to bark at them for stealing his business.

Geopear could then spray that stain remover onto the stain with the spray bottle, work it into the pile with his/her fingers, and then suck the soiled cleaner out of the carpet with the hose of the wet/dry vaccuum cleaner applied directly to the carpet pile. Repeat that process as necessary to get all the stain out, and then again with clean rinse water in the spray bottle, and you'll do as good a job removing stains from your carpets as most pros will. That is, if you can read Engrish and follow the directions on the bottle, you're not going to do appreciably worse than a pro would, cuz he's gonna be doing the xact same thing.

As to the carpet being stained and needing to be cleaned, that IS damage. Food and beverages should be consumed at a kitchen or dining room table, not at the living room couch or in front of a computer. If eating at the table would likely have prevented those carpet stains, then it's NOT "normal wear and tear". It's the result of people being less careful with their landlord's property as they would be with their own.

And, even a cheap Olefin carpet should last at least 10 years under conditions of normal wear and tear.

Last edited by nestork : August 26th 12 at 09:21 AM
Senior Member

Two points, Evan:

Mini carpet shampoo'ers like those sold by Bissell, Eureka, Hoover and others are designed by the sales department, not the engineering department. They try to fit too many functions (a bit of suction, a tiny pump to spray cleaner on the carpet, and tiny rotating brushes) into a small price and the result is that you end up with a product with everything under sized and underpowered that simply doesn't work as well as a simpler solution would.

What Geopear might want to do instead is to buy a small wet/dry vaccuum cleaner like those sold by Sears, and a hand held spray bottle. Then, he/she could go to any place listed under "Janitorial Equipment & Supplies" in their yellow pages phone book and buy a "spotting solution" (pronounced "stain remover") meant to remove the kind of liquid that was spilled on the carpet.

Professional carpet cleaning contractors will typically buy a "spotting kit" which will consist of anywhere from 8 to 22 different spotting solutions, some brushes, absorbant pads and a spray bottle top that can be screwed onto any of the spotting solution bottles. But, you can buy bottles of each spotting solution separately, which is what the pros do if they run out of something. So, if you can at least remember what you spilled on the carpet, the nice man at the janitorial supply store will sell you the right stuff to remove it. And, janitorial supply stores will sell to the general public cuz there's no such thing as a cleaning product retailer store that's going to bark at them for stealing his business.

Geopear could then spray that stain remover onto the stain with the spray bottle, work it into the pile with his/her fingers, and then suck the soiled cleaner out of the carpet with the hose of the wet/dry vaccuum cleaner applied directly to the carpet pile. Repeat that process with clean rinse water in the spray bottle, and you'll do as good a job removing stains as most pros will. That is, if you can read Engrish and follow the directions on the bottle, you're not going to do appreciably worse than a pro would, cuz he's gonna be doing the xact same thing.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

As to the carpet being stained and needing to be cleaned, that IS damage. Foods and beverages should be consumed at a kitchen or dining room table, not at the living room couch. If people are eating at their living room couch, it's predictable that they're going to spill their KoolAid and Cheetos all over the living room carpet. But, a responsible person won't eat at the living room couch cuz the can foresee that food spills there will result in a stain on the carpet. So, if a reasonable person would avoid that stain, the stain can't be considered "normal wear and tear". It's caused by people not being as careful with their landlord's property as they would with their own property.

And,...

... even a cheap Olefin carpet should last at least 10 years under conditions of normal wear and tear.

Last edited by nestork : August 26th 12 at 08:54 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 25, 11:00*pm, Evan wrote:
On Aug 25, 8:37*pm, "
wrote:

On Aug 25, 5:31*pm, Evan wrote:

[...]

More BS. The 2 or 3X penalties that some states
have apply only if a landlord
fails to return the deposit in a specified period AND
also fails to give a reason why in writing. If a landlord has
a receipt for new carpet that was put in just prior
to the tenant moving in and 5 years later withholds security
money to cover it because even after cleaning it's
obviously stained from spills, then it is *not* illegally
withheld. The landlord had a legitimately arguable reason,
even if later a court doesn't agree with it. Those
3X penalties are levied against the landlord that
doesn't even notify the tenant why they are keeping
the security.

And maybe in your world it's normal and acceptable
for a tenant to destroy carpet in just 5 years.
But I bet in most courts, the landlord would get
something to cover it. And the landlord has the
securtity deposit, so you telling the tenant that
there is no need to worry, is laughable. The
landlord can keep the amount and then it's up
to the tenant to try to get it back. That, in my
world, is indeed something to worry about.
Most tenants don't want to go through the process
and just forget about it.

There is no way cheap nylon cut pile carpeting
is going to last 10 years unless you treat your
house like it is a museum... *The nap of the carpet
itself breaks down with the back and forth traffic
of one or two people before that long...

And your evidence that the carpet is "cheap" is?

That is normal
wear and tear just like minor defects/dirt on the
walls which are repainted between tenants...

If the landlord is really a cheap asshole then
they could potentially get away 3with just
cleaning the carpet but the "fresh new" carpet
is often a selling point...

Damage is specific and stems from misuse, not
normal occupancy activities... *Sorry but carpets
get dirty under normal use and it is not the tenants
responsibility to have them cleaned unless that is
specifically enumerated in the lease agreement...

Well, you must live like a pig. Because it is the
responsibility of the tenant to clean the carpet, just
like they are expected to clean the bathrooms,
kitchen floor, etc. Only a pig would live in an
apartment for 5 years and not clean the carpet.

Oh, by the way, you can **** yourself if you don't
like my examples trader4...- Hide quoted text -

Clueless as usual.
Senior Member

Quote:
Oh, by the way, you can **** yourself if you don't
like my examples trader4...
People should be reminded that over the 4 to 5 millenia that we have some record of human history, careful research by a team of historians has revealed that during that time no one ever lost anything by being polite, courteous and respectful to other people.

Last edited by nestork : August 27th 12 at 02:32 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charles Bishop" wrote

When you move out, if the carpet condition becomes a problem and they
withhold deposit money, you need to ask them how much the carpet cost when
it was put in. You are not responsible for the full cost of the carpet,
but a pro-rated amount depending on the number of years you've been there.
If you've been there long enough you'll owe nothing on the carpet as they
usually replace it anyway.

Good luck

--
charles

I think it would be a good case for Judge Judy. Sounds like he's not be
liable for much.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , geo
pearl wrote:

Hello, I have lived in an apartment with two kids for the
last five years. Everything that spills on the carpet leaves
a stain. The carpet looks gross. Cleaning up a mess
just makes a bigger stain.

Do landlords have access to cheap carpet that allows the
above senario to happen? IF you have the answer, please
don't spare any details. Thanks in advance.

Don't know about the cheapness of the carpet, but are you planning on
moving out soon? If not, you've been there 5 years and so are approaching
"normal wear and tear" for the lifetime of the carpet, which might be
somewhere in the neighborhood of 7-10 years for a rental unit as they
don't put in very high quality carpet.

When you move out, if the carpet condition becomes a problem and they
withhold deposit money, you need to ask them how much the carpet cost when
it was put in. You are not responsible for the full cost of the carpet,
but a pro-rated amount depending on the number of years you've been there.
If you've been there long enough you'll owe nothing on the carpet as they
usually replace it anyway.

Good luck

--
charles
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 15:23:16 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

"Charles Bishop" wrote

When you move out, if the carpet condition becomes a problem and they
withhold deposit money, you need to ask them how much the carpet cost when
it was put in. You are not responsible for the full cost of the carpet,
but a pro-rated amount depending on the number of years you've been there.
If you've been there long enough you'll owe nothing on the carpet as they
usually replace it anyway.

Good luck

--
charles

I think it would be a good case for Judge Judy. Sounds like he's not be
liable for much.

I rented an apartment for six months recently. I spilled a cup of coffee in
the living room (much of it into my laptop :-( ) and had a small smudge by the
front door. I got most of the coffee stain out but the smudge by the door
didn't want to come out. The apartment complex cleans the carpets between
residents and evidently they got the rest of the coffee stain out. The
*******s dinged me for *half* of my security deposit ($25) for the smudge by
the door. YOY do apartment complexes use cream colored carpets? Maybe I
should see Judge Judy, too. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 8/25/2012 1:45 PM, geo pearl wrote:
Hello, I have lived in an apartment with two kids for the
last five years. Everything that spills on the carpet leaves
a stain. The carpet looks gross. Cleaning up a mess
just makes a bigger stain.

Do landlords have access to cheap carpet that allows the
above senario to happen? IF you have the answer, please
don't spare any details. Thanks in advance.

While landlords would be unlikely to buy carpet at a place like Home
Depot or Carpet One, they have access to the same choice of carpets.

When I need carpet for a rental I have a source that orders it for me
from the mills in the south. I don't think he has a physical store. The
cost is far less than what a big box store sells for. Anyone can order
from him, but few people know about him.

Posted to alt.home.repair

SMS wrote:
On 8/25/2012 1:45 PM, geo pearl wrote:
Hello, I have lived in an apartment with two kids for the
last five years. Everything that spills on the carpet leaves
a stain. The carpet looks gross. Cleaning up a mess
just makes a bigger stain.

Do landlords have access to cheap carpet that allows the
above senario to happen? IF you have the answer, please
don't spare any details. Thanks in advance.

While landlords would be unlikely to buy carpet at a place like Home
Depot or Carpet One, they have access to the same choice of carpets.

When I need carpet for a rental I have a source that orders it for me
from the mills in the south. I don't think he has a physical store. The
cost is far less than what a big box store sells for. Anyone can order
from him, but few people know about him.

I ordered carpet for my family room directly from a mill in Georgia many
years ago. Highest quality I have in the house, at a great price.

I've been planning to dig out the receipt since we're considering new
carpet for the living room. I'll be interested to see if the price/quality
stills beats what I can find locally.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/26/2012 11:28 PM, SMS wrote:
On 8/25/2012 1:45 PM, geo pearl wrote:
Hello, I have lived in an apartment with two kids for the
last five years. Everything that spills on the carpet leaves
a stain. The carpet looks gross. Cleaning up a mess
just makes a bigger stain.

Do landlords have access to cheap carpet that allows the
above senario to happen? IF you have the answer, please
don't spare any details. Thanks in advance.

While landlords would be unlikely to buy carpet at a place like Home
Depot or Carpet One, they have access to the same choice of carpets.

When I need carpet for a rental I have a source that orders it for me
from the mills in the south. I don't think he has a physical store. The
cost is far less than what a big box store sells for. Anyone can order
from him, but few people know about him.

Really? They flooded everyone with "buy direct from the mills" marketing
for some time. Main issue why it doesn't work for many is you have to
able to handle and install bulky goods.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/27/2012 7:04 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
SMS wrote:
[...]

We have some rentals. The problem with the buy direct thing is having to
deal with moving and installing it. I have been using a local carpet
place for years and they are very competitive and have great installers.
They beat big box and those direct from the mills places. Usually all I
need to do is send them the dimensions and the job is done at a fair
price. And I certainly don't buy junk as the usual business people are
evil comments suggest because junk carpet is a get what you pay for thing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-08-25, geo pearl wrote:
Hello, I have lived in an apartment with two kids for the
last five years. Everything that spills on the carpet leaves
a stain. The carpet looks gross. Cleaning up a mess
just makes a bigger stain.

above senario to happen? IF you have the answer, please
don't spare any details. Thanks in advance.

Here's a very big detail: You are an idiot!!

It's not your fault!? Why are things being spilled on the carpet? Are
your kids spastic? Why are things that are spillable allowed in the
room with a carpet? Why does cleaning the mess make it bigger? Do
you really expect us to believe this crap?

I can clean a red wine stain off a white rug with plain water and a
bath towel. So can you. I can purchase a $200 Hoover carpet cleaning
machine good enough to remove bloody dog stool stains. So can you.

Apparently, the only thing you are capable of doing is avoiding
responsibility and blaming others.

nb

--
Definition of objectivism:
"Eff you! I got mine."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, August 27, 2012 9:08:45 AM UTC-4, notbob wrote:
It's not your fault!? Why are things being spilled on the carpet? Are
your kids spastic? Why are things that are spillable allowed in the
room with a carpet?

Children cannot be restricted or disciplined in any way.

Why does cleaning the mess make it bigger?

Isn't the proper technique for cleaning a spill on a rug is to rub-rub-rub in a widening pattern?

Do you really expect us to believe this crap?

I believe that the OP is indeed so ignorant and incompetent that he created this little "drama" for himself.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Monday, August 27, 2012 9:08:45 AM UTC-4, notbob wrote:
It's not your fault!? Why are things being spilled on the carpet? Are
your kids spastic? Why are things that are spillable allowed in the
room with a carpet?

Children cannot be restricted or disciplined in any way.

Why does cleaning the mess make it bigger?

Isn't the proper technique for cleaning a spill on a rug is to rub-rub-rub
in a widening pattern?

Do you really expect us to believe this crap?

I believe that the OP is indeed so ignorant and incompetent that he
created this little "drama" for himself.

I used to be a Scouting leader. I would see some of the boys and wonder how
they got so all messed up. Then, I saw the parents, and completely
understood. Kids spilling stuff all over the place? In my day, we ate at a
table.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

notbob wrote:
On 2012-08-25, geo pearl wrote:
[...]

Hello~~~~
Take it easy. How is your BP?
We have a dog and very aging cat in the house.
Steam cleaner is alays on standy-by.
Part of daily life.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-08-27, Tony Hwang wrote:

Hello~~~~

Howdy....

Take it easy. How is your BP?

Under control.

We have a dog and very aging cat in the house.

dog, here

Steam cleaner is alays on standy-by.

Likewise. I DID buy the Hoover.

Part of daily life.

So is a point. Do you have one?

nb

--
Definition of objectivism:
"Eff you! I got mine."
Senior Member

People thinking of buying one of those mini-shampoo'ers should consider buying a small wet/dry "Shop-Vac" style vaccuum cleaner instead. That's because:

a) the carpet cleaning chemicals that the manufacturer recommends be used in it's mini-shampoo'er is a general purpose detergent like Mr. Clean or Fantastik, it just costs more. I've been cleaning carpets in my own building for near about 20 years now, and I find that Mr. Clean works as well as any of the carpet soaps that professionals in my area use, and I've used most of them at one time or another.

b) anyone can buy the stain removers that professional carpet cleaning contractors use at many of the places listed under "Janitorial Equipment & Supplies in your yellow pages phone directory, and those are meant for specific types of stains, like coffee, ink, vomit, blood, etc. and will invariably work better than a general purpose detergent will.

c) to remove stains from carpets, you need to put the correct kind of stain remover on the affected area, agitate to mix the stain remover into the stained area of the carpet, and then suck the soiled stain remover out of the carpet. You can pull the soiled stain remover out of the carpet more effectively with a wet/dry vaccuum cleaner than you can with a mini-carpet shampoo-er. That's because wet/dry vaccuum cleaners and rental carpet shampoo'ers will typically have a TWO stage vaccuum motor, whereas vaccuum cleaners and mini-shampoo'ers will typically only have a single stage vaccuum motor. (And, my carpet shampoo'er has two three stage vaccuum motors piped in parallel.)

So, by buying a $60 wet/dry vaccuum cleaner from Sears or Home Depot, a $1 spray bottle at the Dollarama, and getting to know the nice man at your local janitorial supply store, you can do as good or better a job removing stains from a carpet than you can with a $300 mini-shampoo'er.

You can't clean a whole carpet that way, but you can certainly remove stains.

PS: Don't let anyone tell you that a carpet shampoo'er gets a carpet cleaner than a vaccuum cleaner. They are two tools meant for different uses. Vaccuum cleaners are best at removing solid dirt from a carpet, like sand, spilled powders and the like. Carpet shampooers are best at removing wet and dried liquids from carpets. You should always vaccuum your carpet before shampoo'ing it. That's because as soon as you get the carpet wet, the surface tension of water will hold all the solid dirt in the carpet pile so that it's much harder to remove. Next time you're at the beach, try cleaning sand off wet feet and dry feet and see which one is easier. You get the best results by using the vaccuum cleaner to remove solid soils first, and then using the shampoo'er to remove wet or dried up liquids.

Last edited by nestork : August 27th 12 at 06:48 PM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 27, 8:49*am, George wrote:
On 8/26/2012 11:28 PM, SMS wrote:

[...]

Why would I (or anyone buying from a mill) have to "handle and install
bulky goods"?

You do know that most installation contractors that install for stores
will also do side jobs and charge the customer directly for the
installation, don't you?

They might even do it as a Saturday or evening off-the-books job and
forget to charge you tax. It could (did) happen.

Posted to alt.home.repair

SMS wrote:
[...]

evil comments suggest because junk carpet is a get what you pay for thing..- Hide quoted text -

See my response to your other post about having to "handle and install
bulky goods".

When I bought my carpet from the mill, it was delivered right into my
garage and the installer and his helper carried it into the house.

I never handled it nor installed it and it was cheaper overall than if
I had gone to a local store. Sure, there was a little more
coordination effort on my part, but really nothing that was
bothersome. In fact, I'd rather enjoy playing a part in these types of
things.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 Aug 2012 10:52:38 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Really? They flooded everyone with "buy direct from the mills" marketing
for some time. Main issue why it doesn't work for many is you have to
able to handle and install bulky goods.

Why would I (or anyone buying from a mill) have to "handle and install
bulky goods"?

You do know that most installation contractors that install for stores
will also do side jobs and charge the customer directly for the
installation, don't you?

They might even do it as a Saturday or evening off-the-books job and
forget to charge you tax. It could (did) happen.

Agree. The carpet store front in the industrial section of town and a
moderate sized warehouse, mostly filled with remnants, less expensive
types of carpet. And other flooring.

They ordered my carpet form a mill down South. In days or so, after
delivery to the store -- the installer arrives to install.

They do not store costly carpet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/27/2012 1:52 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Aug 27, 8:49 am, George wrote:
On 8/26/2012 11:28 PM, SMS wrote:

[...]

Sure, but that doesn't mean they are the best deal. Some folks have
learned that touting they are doing it "on the side" can be more lucrative.

They might even do it as a Saturday or evening off-the-books job and
forget to charge you tax. It could (did) happen.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Thats pretty much how the place I buy from operates. They are in a low
rent part of town and he stocks standard stuff and gets other stuff as
required.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 27, 1:38*pm, nestork wrote:[color=blue][i]
notbob;2917452 Wrote:

On 2012-08-25, geo pearl wrote: * I
[...]

So when I'm all dusty from working in the yard or doing some woodwork,
I should vacuum myself off before taking a shower? ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
" wrote:

[...]

Half of your security deposit was $25?? Sounds cheap to me.

--
charles
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 Aug 2012 17:25:36 -0800, (Charles Bishop)
wrote:

In article ,
" wrote:

[...]

Yup. ;-)

I thought it was a joke when I rented the place. "I just got a six month
lease with only a $50 deposit? Kewl!" I did pay, I think, $50 a month more
for the six month lease but it was still an unbelievable deal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 27, 3:22*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:[color=blue][i]

On 2012-08-25, geo pearl wrote: * I
[...]

I should vacuum myself off before taking a shower? *;-)- Hide quoted text -

YES
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 27, 8:49 am, George wrote:
On 8/26/2012 11:28 PM, SMS wrote:

[...]

Thus the term "Caveat Emptor".

In other words, do your homework before you deicide where to buy your
carpet and who to hire to install it.