Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich

Default New Carpeting installation

My wife and I finally want get new wall to wall carpeting installed. But
we were so displeased the way it had been done by Kaufmann Carpet 16
years ago we have been trying to find out a better way. We have been
told that its best to get a good installer first, THEN the carpet that
he can bring to us to choose. Not sure if that is the greatest idea but
here is my problem.

I cannot find a carpet installer listed anywhere...just carpet
retailers(sellers)..
I live in northern NJ....does anyone have any recommendations for
installers they have used?

rich
Posted to alt.home.repair
bf

Rich wrote:
My wife and I finally want get new wall to wall carpeting installed. But
we were so displeased the way it had been done by Kaufmann Carpet 16
years ago we have been trying to find out a better way. We have been
told that its best to get a good installer first, THEN the carpet that
he can bring to us to choose. Not sure if that is the greatest idea but
here is my problem.

I cannot find a carpet installer listed anywhere...just carpet
retailers(sellers)..
I live in northern NJ....does anyone have any recommendations for
installers they have used?

rich

We went to an authorized Stainmaster dealer. They have their own
installers. A good place will give you a warantee on labor, and be
willing to come back if the carpet needs restretched before a year..
Naturally, a bottom of the barrel dealer will not give you that level
of service and the quality will be less as well.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Hogwild

Most people will have found someone that does a good job, both in
pricing and service and stick with them.

Maybe talk to your friends, good service is good service.

Failing that, get quotes from several retailers/installers in your
area. Installers work for the retailers.

By talking with the salesmen and asking their opinions you'll get a
sense for who wants you to be happy and who wants you to pay as much
as you can afford.

If they really want you to be satisfied they will only hire good
installers.

I've had the best experience with people who have been in the business
for generations. Good personal customer service means more to them it
seems.

You shouldn't need to pay for quotes - they should want your
business.

Let them know you're getting several estimates, the good ones will
respect you and you will be less BS'd by the others.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"SeaKan" wrote in message
try home depot. they have good prices and installers.

Home Depot is a crap shoot. They have some good contractors, they have some
hacks; with al the stores they have you cannot be assured of top quality
every time. .

In my area, we are fortunate to have a local dealer that has very good
pricing and installers that have worked for him for years. Be sure to check
some of the smaller shops.

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

carpet installation takes special tools and experience. it's heavy,
requires skill on seams, and expertise on stairways. the younger guys
may just move on to less backbreaking work.
for nj, here's craigslist:
http://newjersey.craigslist.org

Posted to alt.home.repair
Connie Swisher

I went into Home Depot yesterday to pay for some carpet I have just
ordered and was presented with this piece of paper stating that unless
your carpeting is professionally cleaned once a year, the warrenty is
voided. Of course, they now have this "deal" that if you sign up for
their program for $300.00, everything will be just fine and dandy.

This is something new, as I wasn't presented with the paper when I had
done another order in Dec.

The warrenty comes from the manufacturer not Home Depot, right, so how
can they get away with this bs?

Connie

"Hogwild" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"Connie Swisher" wrote in message
I went into Home Depot yesterday to pay for some carpet I have just
ordered and was presented with this piece of paper stating that unless
your carpeting is professionally cleaned once a year, the warrenty is
voided. Of course, they now have this "deal" that if you sign up for
their program for $300.00, everything will be just fine and dandy.

This is something new, as I wasn't presented with the paper when I had
done another order in Dec.

The warrenty comes from the manufacturer not Home Depot, right, so how
can they get away with this bs?

Connie

I don't know, but it might end being cheaper in the long run to go find some
premium carpet at another dealer - a brand without that silly requirement.