William Brown

Default Solatube installation code/DIY?

I gladly paid for the installation on mine. They had to make nice round
holes in the roof and ceiling, seal the roof, align the holes (often the
structural members mean the holes must be somewhat offset, run ducting
for the exhaust fan and install a vent on the outside wall, and run
electricity to the unit (I already had a timer installed from the
previous exhaust fan. Perhaps my installation was more complicated than
usual, but it took more than one man, and more than two hours. I could
have done it myself, but I didn't want a novice sealing the roof, and I
would not have had the additional pieces necessary for the offset in the
sola-tube between the roof and ceiling. I would think that if you are
getting multiple units, they would offer some break on the installation
cost. Incidentally, we really like the additional light from the unit,
and the exhaust fan works quite well.

Darryl Minard wrote:
Hi All,

I'm considering installing 4 Solatubes in my house. The local vendor's
installation cost seems quite steep. The 10 inch is $419 Cash+Carry no
tax, $660 installed. The 14 inch is $597, $850 installed.

Can anyone comment about those *Canadian* prices? I'm relatively handy
but not a terribly fast worker, but at over $200 for what appears to be
a job that takes less than 2 hours of a professional installers
time...I'm inclined to go it alone.

Also, has anyone received a volume discount?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Darryl

there.

The Firm2

Darryl,
Luckily, I had a buddy who was a buddy of the installer, so I got mine
installed free! But I watched him, and the only thing that slowed him down
was the plaster ceiling. I think the fee was only $75 per tube at the time
(about 2002). I think it is a DIY item.

"Darryl Minard" wrote in message
Hi All,

I'm considering installing 4 Solatubes in my house. The local vendor's
installation cost seems quite steep. The 10 inch is $419 Cash+Carry no
tax, $660 installed. The 14 inch is $597, $850 installed.

Can anyone comment about those *Canadian* prices? I'm relatively handy
but not a terribly fast worker, but at over $200 for what appears to be
a job that takes less than 2 hours of a professional installers
time...I'm inclined to go it alone.

Also, has anyone received a volume discount?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Darryl

Gary Dyrkacz

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 10:15:19 -0500, Darryl Minard
wrote:

Hi All,

I'm considering installing 4 Solatubes in my house. The local vendor's
installation cost seems quite steep. The 10 inch is $419 Cash+Carry no
tax, $660 installed. The 14 inch is $597, $850 installed.

Can anyone comment about those *Canadian* prices? I'm relatively handy
but not a terribly fast worker, but at over $200 for what appears to be
a job that takes less than 2 hours of a professional installers
time...I'm inclined to go it alone.

Also, has anyone received a volume discount?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Darryl

If you have installed anything on the roof before then the job is
fairly easy. That was the task that bothered me the most; I have
never done any roof installations. In my case, we were having the
roof reshingled, so I had the roofer install the exterior components
for me. I spotted the placement of the holes for them the day before.

I would break the job down into several parts. Decide where you want
the skylight and how they will fit between the joists and rafters,
then cut out all the interior holes. If you still have a good chunk
of time left that day, do the roof work. If not wait till you do have
the time. Tackle the roof mounting in the next phase. Once you
have the dome on you can do the interior tube installation at another
time. That is pretty much the way I did it.

Gary Dyrkacz

Radio Control Aircraft/Paintball Physics/Paintball for 40+
http://home.attbi.com/~dyrgcmn/