Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lawn Mower - Disconnecting shut off brake permanently

I have a push mower with a Briggs engine. It's about 4 years old. On
the handle there is a lever that must be held down all the time to keep
it running. I find that thing annoying to say the least. Everytime I
had to move a garden hose or anything else on the lawn the mower would
shut off. I finally wired that lever to the handle so the mower keeps
running. That has worked for several years. Now the cable broke, going
to that annoying brake/shutoff device, and since that operates a brake
to lock the engine, I cant pull the string to start the engine.

I want this thing gone. I'm not going to spend money for a new cable,
when that thing serves no purpose other than to annoy me. How can I
completely disable or remove that thing? I jammed a bolt in it, and the
mower started, but the bolt fell out in less than a minute.

Anyone know an easy way to disable it, or some way to permanently keep
that thing pulled open, so the brake is not locking the engine?

Yea, I know it's a safety feature, but I dont need a speech about fiing
it. I've safely used mowers without that annoyance for many years. The
only thing I'll not have is the shut off device. Which is as simple as
shorting out the spark plug with a shovel, or just quickly running the
mower into real tall grass to kill the engine. (which is what I've been
doing since I wired that lever to the handle). Just more useless crap
to break and irritate the user. I'm surprised they dont include a
*required* safety belt on these push mowers too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 29, 11:02*pm, wrote:
[...]

I discovered jsut how useless it is. I stepped backwards one step too
far and tripped on a patio edging
.. Fell backwards still hanging on to the mower. I was on the ground
before I thought to let go.

Fact: When falling in such a situation the last thing one will do is
let go of what you are holding on to. It happens too fast to take
rational action.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 30, 9:53*am, "83LowRider" wrote:
wrote:

snip

It is simpy a 'brake shoe' that rubs against and stops the
flywheel. If you take the starter cover off it will more than
obvious how to remove it. it simply lifts off in most cases

If you don't have an on/off switch (if the mower only stops
by releasing the safety handle) you can get a flip lever that
bolts next to the spark plug and grounds the engine dead when
flipped. The rubber boot on the plug will need to be removed
to use this.

You can make a shorting switch out of an old tin can, a tinnersnips,
and a small drill. Cut the can into a piece of metal 1,inch wide by
about 5-6 inches long. Drill a hole in one end to put a cylinder head
bolt thru. Remove one of the cylinder head bolts, put the bolt thru
the metal piece, and replace the bolt. Bend the metal piece so you
can short out the spark plug with your foot, and go cut your lawn.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The mowers I have worked on, when you lift the handle a little, it shorts
the coil to ground, and the motor slows on its own. The e-brake should only
be used for e's.

But, seeing as the cable is snapped, that tidbit of wisdom isn't of much
use.

I'll think on it a bit, and do better.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/29/2012 11:02 PM, wrote:
[...]

On my Tecumseh motor, the deadman has two effects; it opens up a clutch
brake that surrounds the flywheel (a mechanical stop), and it opens up a
switch that shorts out the ignition system.

It was the first thing I modified, before I ever ran the mower. Maybe
if I had a sloped yard I would have let it be, but it is nice when to be
able to leave the mower running when I go to the porch for a drink of wawa.

Jon
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/29/2012 11:02 PM, wrote:
[...]

FIX the cable.
Call me paranoid about little annoyances.
All it takes is for you to be out of town when your neighbor borrows the
mower.
If anybody ever gets hurt for any reason whatsoever, guess who
goes to the front of the litigation queue. You don't have to be
guilty to be bankrupt.

Disabling safety features gives liability lawyers orgasms.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 15:26:24 -0700, mike wrote:

FIX the cable.
Call me paranoid about little annoyances.
All it takes is for you to be out of town when your neighbor borrows the
mower.

That wont happen. I dont lend out tools to ANYONE. I learned that
lesson the hard way more than once......

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 30, 3:03*pm, Jon Danniken
wrote:
On 06/29/2012 11:02 PM, wrote:

[...]

Just curious...

Why do you like to leave the mower running when you stop to get a
drink?

My mower takes about half a slow pull to restart once warm. Not really
worth even the small amount of work it would take to defeat the kill
mechanism.

Besides, I'd rather it be quiet when I take a break for water, but
that's just me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 30, 10:07*pm, "83LowRider" wrote:
hr(bob) wrote:
You can make a shorting switch out of an old tin can, a tinnersnips,
and a small drill. *Cut the can into a piece of metal 1,inch wide by
about 5-6 inches long. *Drill a hole in one end to put a cylinder head
bolt thru. *Remove one of the cylinder head bolts, put the bolt thru
the metal piece, and replace the bolt. *Bend the metal piece so you
can short out the spark plug with your foot, and go cut your lawn.

Very true... but if one is too lazy, they can always spend
about three bucks for one.

http://www.mister-solutions.co.uk/pr...switch-fits-su...

Shipping from the UK to the USA might be more than the cost of
theshorting bar.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, June 30, 2012 2:02:29 AM UTC-4, (unknown) wrote:
Anyone know an easy way to disable it, or some way to permanently keep
that thing pulled open, so the brake is not locking the engine?

Take the broken-off end of the cable and tie it off somewhere.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, July 1, 2012 9:14:25 AM UTC-4, pseudonym wrote:
I would rip all the safety crap off the mower so it's usable again. If the
safety Nazis ask, I'd tell them that's the way it was when I bought the
mower at a garage sale.

If you call them safety nazis, why pass the blame onto someone else? Proudly admit that YOU removed the safety equipment. What are they gonna do?

No law enforcement agency is going to penalize you for removing the safety equipment. Hell, in this day and age removing it doesn't even absolve the manufacturer from liability. All you gotta do is claim that the safety equipment shouldn't have been so easily defeated, and you and your lawyer get $$$.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/30/2012 07:19 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 30, 3:03 pm, Jon Danniken

On my Tecumseh motor, the deadman has two effects; it opens up a clutch
brake that surrounds the flywheel (a mechanical stop), and it opens up a
switch that shorts out the ignition system.

It was the first thing I modified, before I ever ran the mower. Maybe
if I had a sloped yard I would have let it be, but it is nice when to be
able to leave the mower running when I go to the porch for a drink of wawa.

Jon

Just curious...

Why do you like to leave the mower running when you stop to get a
drink?

My mower takes about half a slow pull to restart once warm. Not really
worth even the small amount of work it would take to defeat the kill
mechanism.

Besides, I'd rather it be quiet when I take a break for water, but
that's just me.

How long does it take you to drink water? I keep the bottle in the
shade by the front door, and with the mower on the side of the house it
takes maybe 30 seconds, at the very most, to walk over, drink, and walk
back.

But that's just me.

Besides, I have to short out the plug to turn it off, so it's just
easier to keep it going.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jack Hammer wrote:

Am I liable if they steal my chainsaw? Those things are really
dangerous in untrained hands.

How about if I remove my wife's sissified anti-kickback chain and put
one on it that has some real teeth?

If she can start it herself and knows to mix in the oil -
- she's a keeper.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 1, 9:56*am, wrote:
On Sunday, July 1, 2012 9:14:25 AM UTC-4, pseudonym wrote:
I would rip all the safety crap off the mower so it's usable again. *If the
safety Nazis ask, I'd tell them that's the way it was when I bought the
mower at a garage sale.

If you call them safety nazis, why pass the blame onto someone else? Proudly admit that YOU removed the safety equipment. What are they gonna do?

No law enforcement agency is going to penalize you for removing the safety equipment. Hell, in this day and age removing it doesn't even absolve the manufacturer from liability. All you gotta do is claim that the safety equipment shouldn't have been so easily defeated, and you and your lawyer get $$$.

Wrong...

If you remove the safety devices on a piece of equipment and
then someone is hurt or worse by said machine you have
willfully engaged in "criminal negligence"... If someone is
permanently injured or maimed by your "machine" that would
be considered an act of Mayhem, a serious criminal offense
which is a felony only a few steps down from murder...
The manufacturer of the machinery was required to put the
safety devices on the machinery in order to offer the product
for sale as they were required by the regulatory authority,
there is no mandate imaginary or otherwise which requires
such safety devices to be difficult or impossible to bypass or
disable... The manufacturer would only be liable in the
way you describe if the safety devices failed and allowed
an injury to occur without any actions/repairs/modifications
made by the end user... Once you open it up and change
anything it is you the one who made the modifications that
holds all liability for whatever occurs after that point because
you willfully made those changes by means of overt acts of
removing or disabling components that were formerly
active pieces of the machine...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 2, 2012 12:24:49 PM UTC-4, Evan wrote:
On Jul 1, 9:56*am, wrote:
[...]

You'd think that, but all it takes is a good lawyer with a nice smile and a compelling argument to the contrary, and cha-ching!

What you say makes perfect sense, and that is the way it SHOULD be. However, there are examples of people being rewarded for acting stupid all over the news.

The most famous case, being the woman who spilled the McDonalds coffee on her crotch. If that's not a case of intentionally defeating safety devices and injuring yourself through your own stupidity, I don't know what is. Put a wicked-hot cup of coffee between your legs and clench... What do you think the outcome will be?

I forget his name now, but there's a local (former) politician who was "inspecting" a house under construction (actually TRESPASSING without the owner's knowledge or permission), fell off the ladder, and hurt himself. The owners thought the injury was punishment enough so they didn't press charges. He waited until the day the statute of limitations ran out and filed a lawsuit against them for his injury. He was well on his way to a healthy infusion of cash when the news got ahold of the story, and proceeding with the suit would've meant total political suicide.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, June 30, 2012 at 7:02:29 AM UTC+1, wrote:
[...]

Petrol lawnmowers dont need a brake,they will stop in 3 seconds when ignition is cut.In fact no machine needs to be braked. Have respect for machines,and let them slow down by themselves, harsh braking puts a lot of stress on vital parts,and often cause damage to motors in electric mowers.
RS

Posted to alt.home.repair

writes:

[...]

You think after 3 years the original poster still cares?

This wouldn't happen if you read Usenet with a news reader instead
of the botched Google Groups interface.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm surprised they dont include a
*required* safety belt on these push mowers too.

Petrol lawnmowers dont need a brake,they will stop in 3 seconds when ignition is cut.In fact no machine needs to be braked. Have respect for machines,and let them slow down by themselves, harsh braking puts a lot of stress on vital parts,and often cause damage to motors in electric mowers.
RS

how long does it take to read a date?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, July 1, 2012 at 8:56:13 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sunday, July 1, 2012 9:14:25 AM UTC-4, pseudonym wrote:
I would rip all the safety crap off the mower so it's usable again. If the
safety Nazis ask, I'd tell them that's the way it was when I bought the
mower at a garage sale.

If you call them safety nazis, why pass the blame onto someone else? Proudly admit that YOU removed the safety equipment. What are they gonna do?

No law enforcement agency is going to penalize you for removing the safety equipment. Hell, in this day and age removing it doesn't even absolve the manufacturer from liability. All you gotta do is claim that the safety equipment shouldn't have been so easily defeated, and you and your lawyer get $$$.

I could happen in San Francisco with the Progressive Liberal Leftist Commiecrat Freaks running that bizarre place where the city government is on its way to outlawing sugar in soft drinks. O_o

[8~{} Uncle Safety Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, June 12, 2015 at 1:47:24 PM UTC-5, net cop wrote:
writes:

[...]

Dang! I missed it again! Perhaps it the drugs the nurse gave me? 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Inattentive Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I never heard lawn mower brake, but clutch. My mower has that same
feature(John Deere) it does not bother me. When it's time to empty the
bag, I let go of the handle, after bag is reattached, one pull starts
again. Not such a big deal. Safety feature is not made for only you, LOL!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/12/2015 01:15 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

I never heard lawn mower brake, but clutch. My mower has that same
feature(John Deere) it does not bother me. When it's time to empty the
bag, I let go of the handle, after bag is reattached, one pull starts
again. Not such a big deal. Safety feature is not made for only you, LOL!

Mine had a crude safety feature that shorted out the coil when the
handle was released. On a Briggs I work on from time to time, it has
that, plus a clutch that consists of a flexible strap with some sort of
friction material embedded on it; when the deadman is released the coil
shuts down and the strap pulls tight against the flywheel, quickly
stopping the rotation.

I removed the safety feature on mine during maintenance, but I left it
on the Briggs because it isn't my mower.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, June 12, 2015 at 12:31:04 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Yes, U.S. made/sold stuff has a brake on the flywheel for safety...look it up. And this thread is nearly 3 yrs old! Doh!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Jun 2015 14:15:03 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Not such a big deal. Safety feature is not made for only you, LOL!

It would be nice if safety features like these were optional not
mandated. It's amazing how much more the consumer must pay to keep the
mental midgets in the gene pool.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Not such a big deal. Safety feature is not made for only you, LOL!

It would be nice if safety features like these were optional not
mandated. It's amazing how much more the consumer must pay to keep the
mental midgets in the gene pool.

I believe all tools, ladders, appliances, transportation and items used every day should be as dangerous as possible in order to thin the human herd. Dumbasses would be weeded out rather quickly and overall intelligence of the population would increase. Of course recycling of corpses would be necessary for at least a generation due to the great numbers of them that the country would have to deal with during the culling phase. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Dangerous Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jon, how did you modify the brake and kill system on yours? My Tecumseh is the same way.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 May 2016 12:34:10 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Jon, how did you modify the brake and kill system on yours? My Tecumseh is the same way.

Tools?