Posted to alt.home.repair
Jon Danniken[_7_] Jon Danniken[_7_] is offline

Default Lawn Mower - Disconnecting shut off brake permanently

On 06/30/2012 07:19 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 30, 3:03 pm, Jon Danniken

On my Tecumseh motor, the deadman has two effects; it opens up a clutch
brake that surrounds the flywheel (a mechanical stop), and it opens up a
switch that shorts out the ignition system.

It was the first thing I modified, before I ever ran the mower. Maybe
if I had a sloped yard I would have let it be, but it is nice when to be
able to leave the mower running when I go to the porch for a drink of wawa.

Jon

Just curious...

Why do you like to leave the mower running when you stop to get a
drink?

My mower takes about half a slow pull to restart once warm. Not really
worth even the small amount of work it would take to defeat the kill
mechanism.

Besides, I'd rather it be quiet when I take a break for water, but
that's just me.

How long does it take you to drink water? I keep the bottle in the
shade by the front door, and with the mower on the side of the house it
takes maybe 30 seconds, at the very most, to walk over, drink, and walk
back.

But that's just me.

Besides, I have to short out the plug to turn it off, so it's just
easier to keep it going.

Jon