Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Lawn Mower - Disconnecting shut off brake permanently

On Jun 29, 11:02*pm, wrote:
I have a push mower with a Briggs engine. *It's about 4 years old. *On
the handle there is a lever that must be held down all the time to keep
it running. *I find that thing annoying to say the least. *Everytime I
had to move a garden hose or anything else on the lawn the mower would
shut off. *I finally wired that lever to the handle so the mower keeps
running. *That has worked for several years. *Now the cable broke, going
to that annoying brake/shutoff device, and since that operates a brake
to lock the engine, I cant pull the string to start the engine.

I want this thing gone. *I'm not going to spend money for a new cable,
when that thing serves no purpose other than to annoy me. *How can I
completely disable or remove that thing? *I jammed a bolt in it, and the
mower started, but the bolt fell out in less than a minute.

Anyone know an easy way to disable it, or some way to permanently keep
that thing pulled open, so the brake is not locking the engine?

Yea, I know it's a safety feature, but I dont need a speech about fiing
it. *I've safely used mowers without that annoyance for many years. *The
only thing I'll not have is the shut off device. *Which is as simple as
shorting out the spark plug with a shovel, or just quickly running the
mower into real tall grass to kill the engine. (which is what I've been
doing since I wired that lever to the handle). *Just more useless crap
to break and irritate the user. *I'm surprised they dont include a
*required* safety belt on these push mowers too.

I discovered jsut how useless it is. I stepped backwards one step too
far and tripped on a patio edging
.. Fell backwards still hanging on to the mower. I was on the ground
before I thought to let go.

Fact: When falling in such a situation the last thing one will do is
let go of what you are holding on to. It happens too fast to take
rational action.

Harry K