Posted to alt.home.repair
Jon Danniken[_7_] Jon Danniken[_7_] is offline

Default Lawn Mower - Disconnecting shut off brake permanently

On 06/29/2012 11:02 PM, wrote:
I have a push mower with a Briggs engine. It's about 4 years old. On
the handle there is a lever that must be held down all the time to keep
it running. I find that thing annoying to say the least. Everytime I
had to move a garden hose or anything else on the lawn the mower would
shut off. I finally wired that lever to the handle so the mower keeps
running. That has worked for several years. Now the cable broke, going
to that annoying brake/shutoff device, and since that operates a brake
to lock the engine, I cant pull the string to start the engine.

I want this thing gone. I'm not going to spend money for a new cable,
when that thing serves no purpose other than to annoy me. How can I
completely disable or remove that thing? I jammed a bolt in it, and the
mower started, but the bolt fell out in less than a minute.

Anyone know an easy way to disable it, or some way to permanently keep
that thing pulled open, so the brake is not locking the engine?

Yea, I know it's a safety feature, but I dont need a speech about fiing
it. I've safely used mowers without that annoyance for many years. The
only thing I'll not have is the shut off device. Which is as simple as
shorting out the spark plug with a shovel, or just quickly running the
mower into real tall grass to kill the engine. (which is what I've been
doing since I wired that lever to the handle). Just more useless crap
to break and irritate the user. I'm surprised they dont include a
*required* safety belt on these push mowers too.

On my Tecumseh motor, the deadman has two effects; it opens up a clutch
brake that surrounds the flywheel (a mechanical stop), and it opens up a
switch that shorts out the ignition system.

It was the first thing I modified, before I ever ran the mower. Maybe
if I had a sloped yard I would have let it be, but it is nice when to be
able to leave the mower running when I go to the porch for a drink of wawa.

Jon