Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cover for fry-pan

I need to make a cover for a fry-pan, with a glass window. I have a
"universal" cover, but it doesn't work well. In fact I've been using
a double layer of tin foil that works just as well.

I recently bought a set of fry-pans, moderately expensive, not the
cheap stuff I usually get.

The mediums sized pan has a cover, a glass cover, but the little one I
use more has nothin'. And there are few if any 8" pans for sale with
covers.

I figured I'd make one out of wood and glass. Maybe I'll rout a
little ledge for the glass to sit on, or I'll use some sort of molding
on top. Maybe I'll also glue it on with PC-7 or JB weld .

Any reason not to use plywood? The glue won't drip into my food, will
it?

What kind of glass do you think I need? I presume window glass will
break, if it gets even moderately unevenly hot, or if I hit it
accidentally. . I have a piece of thicker glass from a flat-bed
computer scanner. And somewhere I have a much thicker piece of glass
from a Royal photocopier, about 35 years old. I gather it's hard to
cut old glass -- and this thick would be even harder??

How hard would it be to cut it in a circle. If necessary I can use a
square, or a hexagon.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/5/2012 2:29 AM, micky wrote:
I need to make a cover for a fry-pan, with a glass window. I have a
"universal" cover, but it doesn't work well. In fact I've been using
a double layer of tin foil that works just as well.

I recently bought a set of fry-pans, moderately expensive, not the
cheap stuff I usually get.

The mediums sized pan has a cover, a glass cover, but the little one I
use more has nothin'. And there are few if any 8" pans for sale with
covers.

http://www.nordicware.com/store/cate...6-00137233C6B0

The best part is Nordic Ware is excellent quality and made in USA.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 05 Jun 2012 02:29:50 -0400, micky
wrote:

I figured I'd make one out of wood and glass. Maybe I'll rout a
little ledge for the glass to sit on, or I'll use some sort of molding
on top. Maybe I'll also glue it on with PC-7 or JB weld .

Any reason not to use plywood? The glue won't drip into my food, will
it?

Ov3er time, it will delaminate and come apart. Between the high heat
and scrubbing, it is not going to last all that long.

What kind of glass do you think I need? I presume window glass will
break, if it gets even moderately unevenly hot, or if I hit it
accidentally. .

You need tempered glass at a minimum and it is cost prohibitive on
jobs like this. The glass has to be cut first, then tempered. Better
is to use a soda lime glass made for high heat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"micky" wrote in message

I need to make a cover for a fry-pan, with a glass window. . . .
Any reason not to use plywood? The glue won't drip into my food, will
it?

What kind of glass do you think I need?

It is not clear why you plan to use timber and glass.
Our pan cover is wire mesh, secured by a light metal frame,
with a handle. You can see through it and it is washable.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 06:58:30 -0400, "Don Phillipson"
wrote Re Cover for fry-pan:

"micky" wrote in message
.. .

I need to make a cover for a fry-pan, with a glass window. . . .
Any reason not to use plywood? The glue won't drip into my food, will
it?

What kind of glass do you think I need?

It is not clear why you plan to use timber and glass.
Our pan cover is wire mesh, secured by a light metal frame,
with a handle. You can see through it and it is washable.

Like this
http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-In...8896490&sr=8-1

I use one also and it works very well as long as you are not trying to
trap/hold the moisture in the pan.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/5/2012 2:29 AM, micky wrote:
[...]

Depending on what you doing a lid might not even be appropriate. We have
a couple of different size spatter screens in the drawer for use with
fry pans and they really help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky,

Have you looked for a pyrex lid on E-Bay? Making a lid would be very
hard.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Get a litle pyrex lid from good-will or wherever that fits - and if
you can't, find one that is too small and tuen a ring out of maple to
fit it to. Don'r use glue - make little brass or stainless clips and
either fit them or screw them to the maple wood.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 5, 2:29*am, micky wrote:
[...]

I use a cookie sheet it works well..... and fits all pans
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 06:58:30 -0400, "Don Phillipson"
wrote:

"micky" wrote in message
.. .

I need to make a cover for a fry-pan, with a glass window. . . .
Any reason not to use plywood? The glue won't drip into my food, will
it?

What kind of glass do you think I need?

It is not clear why you plan to use timber and glass.
Our pan cover is wire mesh, secured by a light metal frame,
with a handle. You can see through it and it is washable.

I have one of those. I think it is intended to keep grease splatter
from getting out of the pan. But I want to retain the heat, so that
fried eggs cook on the top more quickly. Right now, the bottom is
done way before the top. Also, some other things would cook or warm
up more if there were a lid.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:
I need to make a cover for a fry-pan, with a glass window. I have a
"universal" cover, but it doesn't work well. In fact I've been using
a double layer of tin foil that works just as well.

Just measure the pan, or take it with you to the local thrift shops, and spend a
dollar on a lid that fits,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 5, 12:56*pm, bob haller wrote:
On Jun 5, 2:29*am, micky wrote:

[...]

I use a cookie sheet it works well..... and fits all pans- Hide quoted text -

Your cookie sheets have glass windows?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 5, 2:29*am, micky wrote:
[...]

Have you heard of Google?

8" frying pan with glass lid

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 12:48:14 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

micky wrote:
I need to make a cover for a fry-pan, with a glass window. I have a
"universal" cover, but it doesn't work well. In fact I've been using
a double layer of tin foil that works just as well.

Just measure the pan, or take it with you to the local thrift shops, and spend a
dollar on a lid that fits,

C'mon. Don't let facts interfere with the writing of a good thread.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

micky wrote:
I need to make a cover for a fry-pan, with a glass window. I have a
"universal" cover, but it doesn't work well. In fact I've been using
a double layer of tin foil that works just as well.

Just measure the pan, or take it with you to the local thrift shops, and spend a
dollar on a lid that fits,

A very good idea. I have to drop some stuff off anyhow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

micky wrote:
I need to make a cover for a fry-pan, with a glass window. I have a
"universal" cover, but it doesn't work well. In fact I've been using
a double layer of tin foil that works just as well.

Just measure the pan, or take it with you to the local thrift shops, and spend a
dollar on a lid that fits,

C'mon. Don't let facts interfere with the writing of a good thread.

You raise a good point too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The lids I can find say 8", which might well fit my 7.5" pan, but if
not, your advice is next. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I figured I'd make one out of wood and glass. Maybe I'll rout a
little ledge for the glass to sit on, or I'll use some sort of molding
on top. Maybe I'll also glue it on with PC-7 or JB weld .

Any reason not to use plywood? The glue won't drip into my food, will
it?

Ov3er time, it will delaminate and come apart. Between the high heat
and scrubbing, it is not going to last all that long.

This is yesterday's reply, made moot I think by the suggestion that I
just buy a lid. I'm sure I looked for lids before, but I may have
Oldtimer's Syndrome.

So a regular piece of wood.

I won't be using very high heat, and if it's still going to be
fragile, I'll wipe it off rather than washing very often.

What kind of glass do you think I need? I presume window glass will
break, if it gets even moderately unevenly hot, or if I hit it
accidentally. .

You need tempered glass at a minimum and it is cost prohibitive on
jobs like this. The glass has to be cut first, then tempered. Better
is to use a soda lime glass made for high heat.

The glass will get even less hot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks to everyone. More below.

On Tue, 05 Jun 2012 05:28:47 -0400, "Norm A. Brams"
wrote:

On 6/5/2012 2:29 AM, micky wrote:
I need to make a cover for a fry-pan, with a glass window. I have a
"universal" cover, but it doesn't work well. In fact I've been using
a double layer of tin foil that works just as well.

I recently bought a set of fry-pans, moderately expensive, not the
cheap stuff I usually get.

The mediums sized pan has a cover, a glass cover, but the little one I
use more has nothin'. And there are few if any 8" pans for sale with
covers.

http://www.nordicware.com/store/cate...6-00137233C6B0

The best part is Nordic Ware is excellent quality and made in USA.

Yesterday's reply. I fell asleep before I posted it.

Well I did google for pans with lids, but I guess I did something
wrong, because this looks good. It's a bit bigger than my pan

If the lip is big enough it will fit, but the lip on my bigger fry-pan
would not be big enough.

Thanks, and thanks everyone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

micky wrote:
I need to make a cover for a fry-pan, with a glass window. I have a
"universal" cover, but it doesn't work well. In fact I've been using
a double layer of tin foil that works just as well.

Just measure the pan, or take it with you to the local thrift shops, and spend a
dollar on a lid that fits,

C'mon. Don't let facts interfere with the writing of a good thread.

You raise a good point too.

Sure. Just don't tell Home Guy. He gets confused easily.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 05 Jun 2012 02:29:50 -0400, micky wrote:

I need to make a cover for a fry-pan, with a glass window. I have a
"universal" cover, but it doesn't work well. In fact I've been using
a double layer of tin foil that works just as well.

I recently bought a set of fry-pans, moderately expensive, not the
cheap stuff I usually get.

The mediums sized pan has a cover, a glass cover, but the little one I
use more has nothin'. And there are few if any 8" pans for sale with
covers.

Calphalon sells frying pans with glass covers (and separate covers). Here's
one:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/produ...fry-saute-pans

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 5, 6:19*pm, "
wrote:
On Tue, 05 Jun 2012 02:29:50 -0400, micky wrote:
I need to make a cover for a fry-pan, with a glass window. * I have a
"universal" cover, but it doesn't work well. * In fact I've been using
a double layer of tin foil that works just as well.

I recently bought a set of fry-pans, moderately expensive, not the
cheap stuff I usually get.

The mediums sized pan has a cover, a glass cover, but the little one I
use more has nothin'. * And there are few if any 8" pans for sale with
covers.

Calphalon sells frying pans with glass covers (and separate covers). *Here's
one:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/produ...n-slide-nonsti...

But he wants a see-thru cover so he can tell when his 3-minute egg is
fryed to perfectiong.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/5/2012 3:26 PM, micky wrote:
I have one of those. I think it is intended to keep grease splatter
from getting out of the pan. But I want to retain the heat, so that
fried eggs cook on the top more quickly. Right now, the bottom is
done way before the top. Also, some other things would cook or warm
up more if there were a lid.

For most of my cookware I have 2 different sized lids. They work for
everything I need them for. If I need more of a seal, I put aluminum
foil around the edge of the lid and then put it on the pot/pan. If the
pan I'm using is much smaller than the lid I put the foil on the pot/pan
rather than the lid.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
micky wrote:
I need to make a cover for a fry-pan, with a glass window. I have a
"universal" cover, but it doesn't work well. In fact I've been using
a double layer of tin foil that works just as well.

I recently bought a set of fry-pans, moderately expensive, not the
cheap stuff I usually get.

The mediums sized pan has a cover, a glass cover, but the little one I
use more has nothin'. And there are few if any 8" pans for sale with
covers.

The lid from a 1 qt Visions pan fits nicely on the 8" n/s skillet I
have. The lid from the 5 qt Visions pot fits the 10" n/s skillet.
So, in conclusion, take your pot/pan to whatever 2nd hand stores you
have around.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 19:48:50 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) "
wrote:

On Jun 5, 6:19*pm, "
wrote:
On Tue, 05 Jun 2012 02:29:50 -0400, micky wrote:
I need to make a cover for a fry-pan, with a glass window. * I have a
"universal" cover, but it doesn't work well. * In fact I've been using
a double layer of tin foil that works just as well.

I recently bought a set of fry-pans, moderately expensive, not the
cheap stuff I usually get.

The mediums sized pan has a cover, a glass cover, but the little one I
use more has nothin'. * And there are few if any 8" pans for sale with
covers.

Calphalon sells frying pans with glass covers (and separate covers). *Here's
one:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/produ...n-slide-nonsti...

But he wants a see-thru cover so he can tell when his 3-minute egg is
fryed to perfectiong.

I think it is is glass. OTOH, the price of the pan and lid is 120 to
170 dollars, so even the lid is probably too much for me.

I cleaned the pan and put it in the car, and I'm on the path to
stopping at every thrift shop in town. I don't think I'll find it
quickly, but otoh, I really don't want to order one and find out it
doesn't fit

Thanks for all the help.

I'll try to post back when I get something.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 07:53:18 -0400, micky wrote:

On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 19:48:50 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) "
wrote:

On Jun 5, 6:19*pm, "
wrote:
[...]

The 8" pan is $120. I thought you said you bought decent stuff? $120 isn't a
lot for cookware. SWMBO has 3-4x that in a few of her pans.

I cleaned the pan and put it in the car, and I'm on the path to
stopping at every thrift shop in town. I don't think I'll find it
quickly, but otoh, I really don't want to order one and find out it
doesn't fit

Measure. Go to store and measure theirs.

Thanks for all the help.

I'll try to post back when I get something.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 09:55:03 -0400, "
wrote:

On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 07:53:18 -0400, micky wrote:

On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 19:48:50 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) "
wrote:

On Jun 5, 6:19*pm, "
wrote:
[...]

The 8" pan is $120.

That makes sense.

I thought you said you bought decent stuff?

It's still at the top. I said I bought moderately expensive pans this
time, instead of the cheap stuff I usually get.

$120 isn't a
lot for cookware.

I think it is. If it werent' for the teflon, I'd continue to use
cheap pans, but I suspect the teflon on the cheap pans is more
vulnerble than it needs to be. We'll see if these pans do better.

SWMBO has 3-4x that in a few of her pans.

I cleaned the pan and put it in the car, and I'm on the path to
stopping at every thrift shop in town. I don't think I'll find it
quickly, but otoh, I really don't want to order one and find out it
doesn't fit

Measure. Go to store and measure theirs.

Thanks for all the help.

I'll try to post back when I get something.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 07:53:18 -0400, micky wrote:

On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 19:48:50 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) "
wrote:

On Jun 5, 6:19*pm, "
wrote:
[...]

If it's $100/pan, it's *NOT* "at the top". Most of our pans are in the
$300-$500 range and they're "not at the top".

$120 isn't a
lot for cookware.

I think it is. If it werent' for the teflon, I'd continue to use
cheap pans, but I suspect the teflon on the cheap pans is more
vulnerble than it needs to be. We'll see if these pans do better.

Vulnerable? Forget Teflon. Stainless is the way to go. We went though
several cycles of pot buying. If we'd spent the money up-front it would have
saved a lot.

SWMBO has 3-4x that in a few of her pans.

I cleaned the pan and put it in the car, and I'm on the path to
stopping at every thrift shop in town. I don't think I'll find it
quickly, but otoh, I really don't want to order one and find out it
doesn't fit

Measure. Go to store and measure theirs.

Thanks for all the help.

I'll try to post back when I get something.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 07:53:18 -0400, micky wrote:

On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 19:48:50 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) "
wrote:

On Jun 5, 6:19*pm, "
wrote:
[...]

I'll try to post back when I get something.- Hide quoted text -

A properly seasoned cast iron frying pan can be as non-stick as anyone
would need and heats/cooks better than most other types of materials.

I have a set of cast iron frying pans that I use constantly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 07:53:18 -0400, micky wrote:

On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 19:48:50 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) "
wrote:

On Jun 5, 6:19*pm, "
wrote:
[...]

Sorry. I meant my words were still at the top.

$300-$500 range and they're "not at the top".

For one pan! My "set" was only two pans. For pots, I have the
stuff my mother gave me.

Derby, I've had cast iron. I know it has advantages but it's too
heavy.

$120 isn't a
lot for cookware.

I think it is. If it werent' for the teflon, I'd continue to use
cheap pans, but I suspect the teflon on the cheap pans is more
vulnerble than it needs to be. We'll see if these pans do better.

Vulnerable? Forget Teflon. Stainless is the way to go. We went though
several cycles of pot buying. If we'd spent the money up-front it would have
saved a lot.

SWMBO has 3-4x that in a few of her pans.

I cleaned the pan and put it in the car, and I'm on the path to
stopping at every thrift shop in town. I don't think I'll find it
quickly, but otoh, I really don't want to order one and find out it
doesn't fit

Measure. Go to store and measure theirs.

Thanks for all the help.

I'll try to post back when I get something.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 6 Jun 2012 11:30:31 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

wrote:

On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 07:53:18 -0400, micky wrote:

On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 19:48:50 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) "
wrote:

On Jun 5, 6:19*pm, "
wrote:
[...]

Good cast iron pans aren't cheap, either, and aren't good for cooking where
water is used. SWMBO has stainless with a copper core. It really works well
and cleans beautifully.

I have a set of cast iron frying pans that I use constantly.

If you can get them heavy enough, they're great for frying pans. Stainless
works just as well and is a lot easier to take care of.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 07:53:18 -0400, micky wrote:

On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 19:48:50 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) "
wrote:

On Jun 5, 6:19*pm, "
wrote:
[...]

Sorry, yes that makes more sense. ;-)

$300-$500 range and they're "not at the top".

For one pan! My "set" was only two pans. For pots, I have the
stuff my mother gave me.

One pan, though certainly not all of them are that expensive. The 8" frying
pan was closer to $150.

Derby, I've had cast iron. I know it has advantages but it's too
heavy.

That's its advantage. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 10:02:04 -0400, micky
wrote:

The 8" pan is $120.

That makes sense.

I thought you said you bought decent stuff?

It's still at the top. I said I bought moderately expensive pans this
time, instead of the cheap stuff I usually get.

$120 isn't a
lot for cookware.

I think it is. If it werent' for the teflon, I'd continue to use
cheap pans, but I suspect the teflon on the cheap pans is more
vulnerble than it needs to be. We'll see if these pans do better.

$120 gets you a damned good pan. If you look at the Woll line, they
are in that range. You can get an 8" lid for $28 too, but I have no
idea if it would fit your pan
http://www.amazon.com/Woll-Round-Saf...36377&sr=1-112

SWMBO has 3-4x that in a few of her pans.

Yeah, I have pans more expensive, but the Woll is a much better value
than my copper pans.

I cleaned the pan and put it in the car, and I'm on the path to
stopping at every thrift shop in town. I don't think I'll find it
quickly, but otoh, I really don't want to order one and find out it
doesn't fit

Measure. Go to store and measure theirs.

Thanks for all the help.

I'll try to post back when I get something.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 22:36:36 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 10:02:04 -0400, micky
wrote:

The 8" pan is $120.

That makes sense.

I thought you said you bought decent stuff?

It's still at the top. I said I bought moderately expensive pans this
time, instead of the cheap stuff I usually get.

$120 isn't a
lot for cookware.

I think it is. If it werent' for the teflon, I'd continue to use
cheap pans, but I suspect the teflon on the cheap pans is more
vulnerble than it needs to be. We'll see if these pans do better.

$120 gets you a damned good pan. If you look at the Woll line, they
are in that range. You can get an 8" lid for $28 too, but I have no
idea if it would fit your pan
http://www.amazon.com/Woll-Round-Saf...36377&sr=1-112

Hmmm. I looked in Amazon, searched on 8" Lid iirc, but didnt' find
that one. Thanks.

Keyhole cover? Lieutenant Scott UK diy 5 January 5th 12 11:09 AM
The Birth Of Thriller Cover chapter 4--The Album Cover HiBob Home Repair 0 May 27th 08 08:55 AM
Pool Cover? [email protected] Home Repair 26 March 4th 08 01:48 AM
Hot Tub Cover JaxDawg Home Ownership 1 February 14th 07 07:33 PM
Cover this Ralph Henrichs Metalworking 1 May 18th 05 12:23 AM