Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Cover for fry-pan

On Tue, 05 Jun 2012 05:50:26 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Tue, 05 Jun 2012 02:29:50 -0400, micky
wrote:

I figured I'd make one out of wood and glass. Maybe I'll rout a
little ledge for the glass to sit on, or I'll use some sort of molding
on top. Maybe I'll also glue it on with PC-7 or JB weld .

Any reason not to use plywood? The glue won't drip into my food, will
it?

Ov3er time, it will delaminate and come apart. Between the high heat
and scrubbing, it is not going to last all that long.

This is yesterday's reply, made moot I think by the suggestion that I
just buy a lid. I'm sure I looked for lids before, but I may have
Oldtimer's Syndrome.

So a regular piece of wood.

I won't be using very high heat, and if it's still going to be
fragile, I'll wipe it off rather than washing very often.

What kind of glass do you think I need? I presume window glass will
break, if it gets even moderately unevenly hot, or if I hit it
accidentally. .

You need tempered glass at a minimum and it is cost prohibitive on
jobs like this. The glass has to be cut first, then tempered. Better
is to use a soda lime glass made for high heat.

The glass will get even less hot.