Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How quickly does a rat die in a typical rat trap

I hate to kill them - but I have to.
Do they die quickly when the big rat traps spring?

I'm not talking the little mouse traps - but the larger classic Victor
rat traps.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bill Keefer" wrote in message
I hate to kill them - but I have to.
Do they die quickly when the big rat traps spring?

I'm not talking the little mouse traps - but the larger classic Victor
rat traps.

Mine have died quickly due to the trap catching across the neck with a
pretty powerful spring bar. I'm not crazy about killing them either, but I'm
not going to put up with the damage they do which can be quite extensive if
left unchecked.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 2 Jun 2012 04:59:46 +0000 (UTC), Bill Keefer
wrote:

I hate to kill them - but I have to.
Do they die quickly when the big rat traps spring?

I'm not talking the little mouse traps - but the larger classic Victor
rat traps.

Quickly most of the time. If You're squeamish get an electric cat.
They zap them and it is all over in an instant-- or they live to chew
your wing and burn your house down.

I've used them for mice-- never had a rat problem-- knocking wood.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/2/2012 12:59 AM, Bill Keefer wrote:
I hate to kill them - but I have to.
Do they die quickly when the big rat traps spring?

I'm not talking the little mouse traps - but the larger classic Victor
rat traps.

No rat, but mouse experience.

They probably die quickly but not necessarily from a broken neck, but
suffocation as their chest is crushed.

I had the experience of coming into my family room one night to hear a
mouse trap snap in the furnace room. It was a cold night and rather
than toss the dead mouse out the door I put him in the toilet where he
immediately revived and tried to escape. A quick flush dispatched him.

Not sure how often this could happen but don't assume instantaneous
death in the trap.

Glue traps are definite torture to a mouse as they struggle to get off
them. I saw one nearly gnaw off his own leg to escape. After this, I
don't use them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 1, 11:59*pm, Bill Keefer wrote:
I hate to kill them - but I have to.
Do they die quickly when the big rat traps spring?

I'm not talking the little mouse traps - but the larger classic Victor
rat traps.

If the work as designed they kill pretty quickly by breaking their
neck.

But I cannot imagine hating to kill a rat. They are disease-
spreading, they will bite and they will destroy wiring and other parts
of your house or vehicles. If the trap doesn't do the job a hammer of
firmly planted heel with take care of it.

And I agree with the comment about glue traps. They basically
facilitate starvation or exposure to predators.

RonB

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/1/2012 11:59 PM, Bill Keefer wrote:
I hate to kill them - but I have to.
Do they die quickly when the big rat traps spring?

I'm not talking the little mouse traps - but the larger classic Victor
rat traps.

why does it matter? and why would anyone hate to kill them?

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 2, 4:41*am, Frank wrote:
[...]

Same here. Used one once, swore never again. They cn only be
described as animal cruelty.

I find that Dcon and the like is the best solution. I had them in
this old house when I bought it. Traps, etc. no cure, D-con did it.
I keep 'bait boxes' with mouse size holes baited. Occasionally find
a dead one. Oddly, mice that die from dthat stuff do not have that
godawful 'death smell".

Harry K
Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/2/2012 9:21 AM, Harry K wrote:
On Jun 2, 4:41 am, wrote:
[...]

I'll use the poison in my attic but not the house. I had one die in the
ceiling and smell for several days. Usually they just die and desiccate
without smelling but one bad incident was enough to make me stop using it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker writes:

On 6/1/2012 11:59 PM, Bill Keefer wrote:
I hate to kill them - but I have to.
Do they die quickly when the big rat traps spring?

I'm not talking the little mouse traps - but the larger classic Victor
rat traps.

why does it matter? and why would anyone hate to kill them?

Personally, I'm impressed and heartened to see the number of posters
that care.

For the posters that showed some degree of compassion, I say, good
show.

As for rodents in the house, you really have to get rid of them somehow.
I don't know any reliable way to live trap them so I don't feel deep
guilt for killing them. Best is to have a cat. The terror instilled
in the rodent is balanced by the joy felt by the cat.

Those big spring traps can catch the rodent anywhere but they're
designed to hit the back, head or neck and the poor rodent never knows
what happened.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill Keefer wrote:

I hate to kill them - but I have to.
Do they die quickly when the big rat traps spring?

I'm not talking the little mouse traps - but the larger classic
Victor rat traps.

About a year ago a friend set out 2 of those big rat traps next to his
driveway which was next to his neighbor's garage. A remote video camera
placed there indicated a couple of rats were living under the garage.

He recorded the trap events and e-mailed me a copy of the video.
Probably not the sort of thing you want to put up on you tube.

The two rats seemed to be male and female. The male was larger, and he
was caught first. He flopped around quite a bit - probably 2 full
minutes. He (and the trap) ended up about 6 feet away from where it was
originally placed (beyond the field of view of the camera). It took
about 20 or 30 seconds for the smaller rat to die - I don't think there
any flopping around in that case - just twitching. Death was marked by
a last, final deep breath.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Have had rats here in the house.

Have dogs so I dont want to use poision..... Might make a dog sick or
kill it. dogs are my kids.......

One died in a rat snap trap. I heard the snap and a blood curdling
death scream. at least it was over fast..... I didnt sleep the rest of
the night......

Live havahart traps, the rats didnt go near them planned on catch
and release in a rural area. I DONT like killing anything!

The neighborhood is over run. They probably moved from a nearby wooded
area now cleared for more shopping centers We also aquired a herd
of deer... that live among the homes

Anyway the neighbor started shooting rats and used poision bait. we
cleaned up the yard a lot.......

one key to minimizing rats is have nice clean yards with nothing
sitting around.......

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bill Keefer" wrote in message
I hate to kill them - but I have to.
Do they die quickly when the big rat traps spring?

I'm not talking the little mouse traps - but the larger classic Victor
rat traps.

Anywhere from instantaneously to finding it alive, and you having to
dispatch it. But, one rat or one mouse can cause an incredible amount of
damage unchecked. Plus, in our area, there is hantavirus, which means you
might as well toss everything it has come in contact with. I use a tin cat
by Victor for mice. It catches them live. Kind souls will drive them away
from their houses, and turn them loose. I just toss the tin cat in a 5
gallon bucket of water, and come back in a while. For the 2-3 pound rock
squirrels that devastate our fruit trees, I use a .22 rifle, or shotgun.

http://www.victorpest.com/store/mouse-control/m310

I also like a 5 gal. bucket of water with a soda can strung on a wire across
the top. Slather the can with peanut butter. The mouse goes out on the
wire, steps on the can, and falls into the water. Very safe, and works
great. Just check often, as they get skanky smelling real fast.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Dan Espen" wrote in message
Steve Barker writes:

On 6/1/2012 11:59 PM, Bill Keefer wrote:
I hate to kill them - but I have to.
Do they die quickly when the big rat traps spring?

I'm not talking the little mouse traps - but the larger classic Victor
rat traps.

why does it matter? and why would anyone hate to kill them?

Personally, I'm impressed and heartened to see the number of posters
that care.

For the posters that showed some degree of compassion, I say, good
show.

As for rodents in the house, you really have to get rid of them somehow.
I don't know any reliable way to live trap them so I don't feel deep
guilt for killing them. Best is to have a cat. The terror instilled
in the rodent is balanced by the joy felt by the cat.

Actually, cats are not good ratters. They are mousers. Possibly a very large
cat could take on a small rat but rats are the domain of dogs. Certain small
breeds are created to catch and kill rats.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 2, 10:34*am, bob haller wrote:
Have had rats here in the house.

Have dogs so I dont want to use poision..... Might make a dog sick or
kill it. dogs are my kids.......

One died in a rat snap trap. I heard the snap and a blood curdling
death scream. at least it was over fast..... I didnt sleep the rest of
the night......

Live havahart traps, the rats didnt go near them planned on catch
and release in a rural area. I DONT like killing anything!

The neighborhood is over run. They probably moved from a nearby wooded
area now cleared for more shopping centers We also aquired *a herd
of deer... that live among the homes

Anyway the neighbor started shooting rats and used poision bait. we
cleaned up the yard a lot.......

one key to minimizing rats is have nice clean yards with nothing
sitting around.......

I found a good way to overcome any worry about putting rodents to
death about four years ago. My wife and I took off early one morning
for what was to be a 200 mile trip in her car. I turned on the
defroster blower and it sounded like it was coming out from under the
dash. Took the car home and traded vehicles. When we got home a
couple of days later I climbed into the car to check the blower and
almost puked. When the blower came on it filled the car with death-
smell. I managed to keep my stomach together long enough to get the
blower out and found out the nylon blower, the blower housing and the
main plenum were full of hair, blood and tissue. It took three hours
of cleaning and disinfecting to get most of the smell out. Then, as I
looked around the lower, air intake near the front of the car I found
it was chewed on, an engine wire harness had much of the insulation
chewed off and several hoses showed signs of chewing. About $200
later I repaired the damage I could see.

I ended up buying some of the D-Con bars with the center bored out and
wired them to the air intake and to one of the bundles that had been
damaged most. As far as I'm concerned the little farts can die rather
than spread the disease and destruction that they can.

RonB
Posted to alt.home.repair

"RonB" wrote

As far as I'm concerned the little farts can die rather
than spread the disease and destruction that they can.

RonB

Throughout history, rats have killed millions of people, and sickened many
times that. For anyone who has a hesitancy to dispose of something that is
trying to kill them, I have no understanding.

Some people will say they oppose killing anything. And then, within an
hour, they're ordering a Big Mac meal. Well, where does the meat come
from? And taking a live viable potato that could generate potato
generations to come, and peeling its skin off and plunging it in boiling oil
sounds a little barbaric to me. Think of all the potatos that won't be, and
won't have a grandpa. It's sad. So, I just compensate for the lack of
blood with catsup. Works for me.

Hypocrites, all.

Now, I'm hungry after talking about Big Macs. I'm off to seek charred
mammal flesh. Yummmmmmmmmmm.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller writes:

Have had rats here in the house.

Have dogs so I dont want to use poision..... Might make a dog sick or
kill it. dogs are my kids.......

One died in a rat snap trap. I heard the snap and a blood curdling
death scream. at least it was over fast..... I didnt sleep the rest of
the night......

Live havahart traps, the rats didnt go near them planned on catch
and release in a rural area. I DONT like killing anything!

The neighborhood is over run. They probably moved from a nearby wooded
area now cleared for more shopping centers We also aquired a herd
of deer... that live among the homes

Anyway the neighbor started shooting rats and used poision bait. we
cleaned up the yard a lot.......

one key to minimizing rats is have nice clean yards with nothing
sitting around.......

Another key is to make sure no neighbors are feeding them.
Some people seem to think it's okay to feed cats outside
or to feed the cute deer or racoons.

Instant population explosion.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

"EXT" writes:

"Dan Espen" wrote in message
Steve Barker writes:

[...]

Agreed. But I have had cats that have killed rats and even squirrels.
But the best was a pheasant. When it dragged the pheasant back, the
bird was substantially bigger than the cat.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 02 Jun 2012 13:44:57 -0400, Dan Espen wrote:

"EXT" writes:

"Dan Espen" wrote in message
Steve Barker writes:

[...]

I had a bunch of turkeys in my back yard while I was mowing the other night. A
cat going after those would be a sight to see. ...or a goose. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/2/2012 1:30 PM, Steve B wrote:
wrote

[...]

Killing pests does not bother me and I like to hunt.
Just believe in doing it quick and clean. I imagine most posters here
would agree with that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/2/2012 12:30 PM, Steve B wrote:
wrote

[...]

Big Macs are disgusting 99.9% of the time. You need to go to a real
burger joint like: In and Out, Five Guys or Mighty Fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/2/2012 2:34 PM, Frank wrote:
[...]

in the case of rats (which include the ones with the cute tails,
(squirrels)) I think the slower the better. I never bait my mouse
traps, so when they run across them, it usually gets them in the
midsection. They squirm for many minutes. The squirrels i blast out of
the trees with a 12ga from the front window of the house. It's a blast.
No pun intended.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/2/2012 2:42 PM, gonjah wrote:
[...]

I must always get in that .1% of the time. I love them. Especially
cold after a night in the frige. (remove pickle if present first)

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/2/2012 12:41 PM, Dan Espen wrote:
bob writes:

[...]

where else would you feed the cats? They live outdoors. duh.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 02 Jun 2012 15:34:02 -0400, Frank
wrote:

Killing pests does not bother me and I like to hunt.
Just believe in doing it quick and clean. I imagine most posters here
would agree with that.

+ 1

How many posters here would allow an aggressive rabid dog, foaming and
slobbering at the mouth, to attack them or their children. I suppose
they might just let the dangerous animal suffer and roam the
neighborhood.

I'll kill any threat - mouse or man, doing so judicially.

Many pest even have a bounty (pythons if Florida or giant rats in
Louisiana).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/2/2012 3:34 PM, Steve Barker wrote:
[...]

Precooked patty on a stale bun? No thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/2/2012 9:19 AM, Steve Barker wrote:
On 6/1/2012 11:59 PM, Bill Keefer wrote:
I hate to kill them - but I have to.
Do they die quickly when the big rat traps spring?

I'm not talking the little mouse traps - but the larger classic Victor
rat traps.

why does it matter? and why would anyone hate to kill them?

Regret at killing rats is absolute insanity. Transport them so that they
can multiply elsewhere? Regret a slow death, but do away with them. I
once had a neighbor who had a large dog, pinscher mix, tied to a tree in
their yard all the time. He would knock over his bowls of food and
water, and I'd go over to refill his water on occasion. Watched one day
as rats came out of the brush behind their yard, grabbed a bit of dog
food and ran back to the brush. Yuck! Pet food and waste are
invitations to rodents to come and party! Rats and roaches eat anything
and everything; all the more reason not to allow them entry to house.

Few days ago, son and grandson were getting the lawn mower ready to mow.
It has been the practice for several years for mice to live in the
mower in the shed, so they were checking it carefully. Out popped a
mama mouse and a baby, and both scurried off to a dark corner. Son
continued removing their nesting material from the mower and out pops
another baby. Second baby fell to the floor of the shed and the mama
ran out, grabbed it by the nape of the neck, and took him back to her
safe corner. The shed has been home to feral cats, mice and several
generations of groundhogs. Saw a possum checking out the yard a couple
of days ago, but don't think he's in the market for a shed. )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 02 Jun 2012 17:37:24 -0400, Norminn
wrote:

[...]

I hear the only creature we should not kill off completely is the
Termite. We need them...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 02 Jun 2012 14:42:05 -0500, gonjah gonjah.net wrote:

Big Macs are disgusting 99.9% of the time.

They taste better than dog meat. Admittedly, I haven't asked our
president.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 2, 10:23*am, RonB wrote:
[...]

I keep a D-Con pack in the trunk and one under the seats. I dthink I
will add one under the hood.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

"EXT" wrote in message
news.com...
Actually, cats are not good ratters.

Not in my experience. Back when we could allow cats outside (we have coyotes
now) they brought back all sorts of things. Never saw a rat (don't think we
have them) but rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks, bats, voles, moles, shrews,
snakes, birds, and once Rainbow brought me a dead baby raccoon. She was one
hell of a killing machine (former feral) and she never weighed more than 9
lbs. Seriously, our squirrels are huge, so I'm sure rats would be no problem
for our cats. We get squirrels, chipmunks and mice coming into the house in
the fall (200 years old, stacked stone foundation, so they just walk in) and
the cats make quick work of them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Get a Rat Zapper. I got mine on Ebay. Put a couple of pieces of dry
dog food in it and when they enter zap they are dead. I have only
used them on mice but have gotten several two for ones... They claim
the big one also works for rats. Worth every penny. Quick and easy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03 Jun 2012, "
wrote in alt.home.repair:

Get a Rat Zapper. I got mine on Ebay. Put a couple of pieces of dry
dog food in it and when they enter zap they are dead. I have only
used them on mice but have gotten several two for ones... They claim
the big one also works for rats. Worth every penny. Quick and easy.

Do 4 D-cell batteries really generate enough zap to kill a rat?!?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 03 Jun 2012 16:02:33 -0400, Nil
wrote:

On 03 Jun 2012, "
wrote in alt.home.repair:

Get a Rat Zapper. I got mine on Ebay. Put a couple of pieces of dry
dog food in it and when they enter zap they are dead. I have only
used them on mice but have gotten several two for ones... They claim
the big one also works for rats. Worth every penny. Quick and easy.

Do 4 D-cell batteries really generate enough zap to kill a rat?!?

2 c's will kill about a dozen mice was my experience with one many
years ago-- Victor says their 4aa model will kill 100 mice per set-- 4
d's ought to kill a few rats.

there is a capacitor in there someplace.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 03 Jun 2012 17:26:48 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

On Sun, 03 Jun 2012 16:02:33 -0400, Nil
wrote:

On 03 Jun 2012, "
wrote in alt.home.repair:

Get a Rat Zapper. I got mine on Ebay. Put a couple of pieces of dry
dog food in it and when they enter zap they are dead. I have only
used them on mice but have gotten several two for ones... They claim
the big one also works for rats. Worth every penny. Quick and easy.

Do 4 D-cell batteries really generate enough zap to kill a rat?!?

2 c's will kill about a dozen mice was my experience with one many
years ago-- Victor says their 4aa model will kill 100 mice per set-- 4
d's ought to kill a few rats.

there is a capacitor in there someplace.

And an inductor (or two), I'm sure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I think Tasers use one nine volt, and have enough power to stun a human.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Nil" wrote in message

Get a Rat Zapper. I got mine on Ebay. Put a couple of pieces of dry
dog food in it and when they enter zap they are dead. I have only
used them on mice but have gotten several two for ones... They claim
the big one also works for rats. Worth every penny. Quick and easy.

Do 4 D-cell batteries really generate enough zap to kill a rat?!?

Posted to alt.home.repair

And, transformer, maybe?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message

2 c's will kill about a dozen mice was my experience with one many
years ago-- Victor says their 4aa model will kill 100 mice per set-- 4
d's ought to kill a few rats.

there is a capacitor in there someplace.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

The first couple are cute and fuzzy. After the chewing damage, and a few
human illness, they are viewed as flea ridden pestilance.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Steve Barker" wrote in message

why does it matter? and why would anyone hate to kill them?

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for sharing the real world experience.

That sounds like something I'm glad I didn't have to live through.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"RonB" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm remembering the farmer one time who tried to
get me to laugh at his awful jokes. He just kept telling.

But, no pun in ten did.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Steve Barker" wrote in message

The squirrels i blast out of the trees with a 12ga
from the front window of the house. It's a blast.

No pun intended.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03 Jun 2012, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote in alt.home.repair:

I think Tasers use one nine volt, and have enough power to stun a
human.

Really?! I had no idea. I never really thought about it, but I guess I
figured they had a more powerful rechargeable batter. Either that, or
when I watch "Cops", that there was a hidden wire from the taser to an
off-camera Frankenstein's-lab-like lightning catcher.