Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default How quickly does a rat die in a typical rat trap

On Jun 2, 10:23*am, RonB wrote:
On Jun 2, 10:34*am, bob haller wrote:

Have had rats here in the house.

Have dogs so I dont want to use poision..... Might make a dog sick or
kill it. dogs are my kids.......

One died in a rat snap trap. I heard the snap and a blood curdling
death scream. at least it was over fast..... I didnt sleep the rest of
the night......

Live havahart traps, the rats didnt go near them planned on catch
and release in a rural area. I DONT like killing anything!

The neighborhood is over run. They probably moved from a nearby wooded
area now cleared for more shopping centers We also aquired *a herd
of deer... that live among the homes

Anyway the neighbor started shooting rats and used poision bait. we
cleaned up the yard a lot.......

one key to minimizing rats is have nice clean yards with nothing
sitting around.......

I found a good way to overcome any worry about putting rodents to
death about four years ago. *My wife and I took off early one morning
for what was to be a 200 mile trip in her car. *I turned on the
defroster blower and it sounded like it was coming out from under the
dash. *Took the car home and traded vehicles. *When we got home a
couple of days later I climbed into the car to check the blower and
almost puked. *When the blower came on it filled the car with death-
smell. *I managed to keep my stomach together long enough to get the
blower out and found out the nylon blower, the blower housing and the
main plenum were full of hair, blood and tissue. *It took three hours
of cleaning and disinfecting to get most of the smell out. *Then, as I
looked around the lower, air intake near the front of the car I found
it was chewed on, an engine wire harness had much of the insulation
chewed off and several hoses showed signs of chewing. *About $200
later I repaired the damage I could see.

I ended up buying some of the D-Con bars with the center bored out and
wired them to the air intake and to one of the bundles that had been
damaged most. *As far as I'm concerned the little farts can die rather
than spread the disease and destruction that they can.

RonB

I keep a D-Con pack in the trunk and one under the seats. I dthink I
will add one under the hood.

Harry K