Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_13_] Frank[_13_] is offline

Default How quickly does a rat die in a typical rat trap

On 6/2/2012 9:21 AM, Harry K wrote:
On Jun 2, 4:41 am, wrote:
On 6/2/2012 12:59 AM, Bill Keefer wrote:

I hate to kill them - but I have to.
Do they die quickly when the big rat traps spring?

I'm not talking the little mouse traps - but the larger classic Victor
rat traps.

No rat, but mouse experience.

They probably die quickly but not necessarily from a broken neck, but
suffocation as their chest is crushed.

I had the experience of coming into my family room one night to hear a
mouse trap snap in the furnace room. It was a cold night and rather
than toss the dead mouse out the door I put him in the toilet where he
immediately revived and tried to escape. A quick flush dispatched him.

Not sure how often this could happen but don't assume instantaneous
death in the trap.

Glue traps are definite torture to a mouse as they struggle to get off
them. I saw one nearly gnaw off his own leg to escape. After this, I
don't use them.

Same here. Used one once, swore never again. They cn only be
described as animal cruelty.

I find that Dcon and the like is the best solution. I had them in
this old house when I bought it. Traps, etc. no cure, D-con did it.
I keep 'bait boxes' with mouse size holes baited. Occasionally find
a dead one. Oddly, mice that die from dthat stuff do not have that
godawful 'death smell".

Harry K
Harry K

I'll use the poison in my attic but not the house. I had one die in the
ceiling and smell for several days. Usually they just die and desiccate
without smelling but one bad incident was enough to make me stop using it.