Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT gun silencers

OT Are gun silencers on pistols really as effective as they show in
the movies? What about the breech? Does a lot of the noise come
from there?

And what about the muzzle? Doesn't the bullet make a hole in whatever
is in the silencer, so the noise can follow the bullet out the hole?
After all, the walls on the barrel are pretty strong, so the noise
without a silencer must come out the mouth of the barrel. Why not out
the mouth of the silencer, at least after it's been used a couple
times?

I've fired a pistol, without a silencer, and didn't or couldn't
notice these things.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 May 2012 03:30:41 -0400, micky
wrote:

OT Are gun silencers on pistols really as effective as they show in
the movies? What about the breech? Does a lot of the noise come
from there?

And what about the muzzle? Doesn't the bullet make a hole in whatever
is in the silencer, so the noise can follow the bullet out the hole?
After all, the walls on the barrel are pretty strong, so the noise
without a silencer must come out the mouth of the barrel. Why not out
the mouth of the silencer, at least after it's been used a couple
times?

I've fired a pistol, without a silencer, and didn't or couldn't
notice these things.

This is Marco. I'm a mafia boss. I offed lots of mobsters with
silencers. Once you get a silencer, you'll never go back. You dont
want Mezza morta, you want em whacked. You cant remove the sound when
you do spring cleaning. The Code Of Silence is of utmost important in
the family and Chiacchierones are offed. When the time comes for a
facia bruta just grab your silencer and get the message job done.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-05-20, micky wrote:
OT Are gun silencers on pistols really as effective as they show in
the movies?

I would appear not. Look at these tests:

http://tinyurl.com/6nj5lrh

.....and here is a chart listing real world sound levels.

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/TableOf...sureLevels.htm

I can do a very loud fingers-under-tongue whistle that hurts most
people's ears, they typically reacting by covering their ears with
their hands, abeit too late. I've measured my whistle at 113 db. The
above chart tends to indicate that most suppressors reduce a gun's
report only to close-to-painful.

So, it would appear those movies where the silencer (suppressor is the
PC term) merely goes "pffft" are nonsense. OTOH, these are jes
commercial silencers, not very expensive ultra hi-tech military
suppressors. Also, there is sub-sonic ammunition, which will go a
long way toward reducing heard noise. I once watched a marine in full
range competition regalia shoot a precision .22 target rifle
(un-suppressed) using sub-sonic target ammo. It didn't make much more
noise than those silenced firearms one sees in the movies.

BTW, if you see a suppressor on the end of a revolver, you know it's
total bull****.

nb

--
vi --the heart of evil!
Support labeling GMOs
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:
OT Are gun silencers on pistols really as effective as they show in
the movies? What about the breech? Does a lot of the noise come
from there?

And what about the muzzle? Doesn't the bullet make a hole in whatever
is in the silencer, so the noise can follow the bullet out the hole?
After all, the walls on the barrel are pretty strong, so the noise
without a silencer must come out the mouth of the barrel. Why not out
the mouth of the silencer, at least after it's been used a couple
times?

I've fired a pistol, without a silencer, and didn't or couldn't
notice these things.

Since you asked,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suppressor
Posted to alt.home.repair

notbob wrote:
On 2012-05-20, micky wrote:
[...]

Mostly right. Much of the noise in a shot is the crack from the bullet's
sonic boom. Using sub-sonic ammunition eliminates that sound.

Suppression of the sound of the explosion that propels the bullet is the
domain of the silencer. A suppressor is worthless on a revolver and the bolt
will begin opening - allowing sound out - on an automatic before the rest of
the sound can reach the suppressor. Where a suppressor is most effective is
on a closed-bolt rifle.

My state, Texas, just allowed hunting with a suppressor, effective September
1st.

Whether you build your own suppressor (usually pretty easy) or buy a
commercial one, the BATF requires a $200 tax for each one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 20, 12:30*am, micky wrote:
OT * Are gun silencers on pistols really as effective as they show in
the movies? * *What about the breech? *Does a lot of the noise come
from there?

And what about the muzzle? *Doesn't the bullet make a hole in whatever
is in the silencer, so the noise can follow the bullet out the hole?
After all, the walls on the barrel are pretty strong, so the noise
without a silencer must come out the mouth of the barrel. *Why not out
the mouth of the silencer, at least after it's been used a couple
times?

* I've fired a pistol, without a silencer, and didn't or couldn't
notice these things.

The BEST you can do is use a revolver, fold a pillow over the gun, and
fire at close range. Sound will be heard but not very far, plus NO
flash..I know I tried EVERYTHING. - before internet avaiable research.
The best small one I ever made was an empty paper towel roll cut to
still longer than a toilet paper roll. Fill the tube with fluffly wads
of facial tissue, overlap the barrel about 1 1/2 to 2 inches and use
once.

I understand there is an 'Israeli' type you can make in the field for
multiple use - Uses a series of washers in a tube to provide the
baffling, built on the principle ofthe auto muffler

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 20, 5:34*am, notbob wrote:
On 2012-05-20, micky wrote:

[...]

Harbor Freight often carries an inexpensive Sound Meter for $14.95 and
it works as well as the 'scientific' versions costing $100's

A bit educational to use.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-05-20, micky wrote:

OT * Are gun silencers on pistols really as effective as they show in
the movies?

I would appear not. *Look at these tests:

http://tinyurl.com/6nj5lrh

I'm not really sure what they were trying to accomplish with these
tests. As someone else noted, you need sub-sonic ammo to get
reasonable suppression and they used supersonic ammo in all these
tests (most of the noise is from the bow wave of the bullet).
Posted to alt.home.repair

"micky" wrote in message
OT Are gun silencers on pistols really as effective as they show in
the movies? What about the breech? Does a lot of the noise come
from there?

And what about the muzzle? Doesn't the bullet make a hole in whatever
is in the silencer, so the noise can follow the bullet out the hole?
After all, the walls on the barrel are pretty strong, so the noise
without a silencer must come out the mouth of the barrel. Why not out
the mouth of the silencer, at least after it's been used a couple
times?

I've fired a pistol, without a silencer, and didn't or couldn't
notice these things.

First of all, silencer is a dirty word. Use the term suppressor.

I made one long ago out of a piece of half inch conduit. I drilled lots of
holes across the conduit, 1/16" each. Then I took one of the OLD Coors 7
oz. aluminum beer cans (if you remember those, you ARE old), and took one
end out, put the conduit through a hole made in the other, and slid it over
steel wool wrapped on the conduit, and placed the cap back on the can.

I was shooting a Remington bolt .22, and it REALLY worked well. My dad just
about **** when he found out about it, and I had to toss it. But he was a
machinist, and really think he was sorta proud of me. He was a USAC WWII
vet, so had lots of experience. With BIG guns and bombs.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 May 2012 09:48:39 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

My state, Texas, just allowed hunting with a suppressor, effective September
1st.

Whether you build your own suppressor (usually pretty easy) or buy a
commercial one, the BATF requires a $200 tax for each one.

Why do yo want one for hunting? So as not to scare away the target?

Why the $200 tax, other than they can get it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
Why do yo want one for hunting? So as not to scare away the target?

Why the $200 tax, other than they can get it?

It helps protect the shooters hearing. From what I understand in some
countries other than the US, guns for hunting are under a bunch of
restrictions, but they require supressors for hunting.

Yes, the $ 200 tax is they can get it and it keeps up with the paper work on
who has them and other items such as machine guns.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My state, Texas, just allowed hunting with a suppressor, effective September
1st.

Whether you build your own suppressor (usually pretty easy) or buy a
commercial one, the BATF requires a $200 tax for each one.

Why do yo want one for hunting? So as not to scare away the target?

Does it matter?

Why the $200 tax, other than they can get it?

Same reason there is a (the same) tax on transferring automatic weapons.
....m0ostly because the gun grabbers couldn't make them illegal to own.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote in
:

wrote:

My state, Texas, just allowed hunting with a suppressor, effective
September 1st.

Whether you build your own suppressor (usually pretty easy) or buy a
commercial one, the BATF requires a $200 tax for each one.

NOT just a $200 tax,but fingerprinting,background check,and written
permission from a local law enforcement officer.
Plus,your state has to allow them.

You CAN'T "build your own" suppressor legally,it requires a manufacturer's
license from ATF.A good way to go to jail.

also,you have to pay the tax,etc,and get the ATF tax stamp BEFORE you can
take possession of your suppressor.

Why do yo want one for hunting? So as not to scare away the target?

the noise would scare other game.
plus,it may disturb people residing nearby.
In Germany,suppressors are REQUIRED for target shooting at the range.
It saves -your- hearing,too.

Why the $200 tax, other than they can get it?

1934 National Firearms Act;
it put suppressors under the same laws as for machine guns.
same for short-barreled rifles and shotguns.

A good read is Unintended Consequences by John Ross;
it's a work of fiction but the author really did his resaearch on US
firearms laws and how they came to be.You can learn a lot about US firearm
laws and the "issues" from it.

the book also has an authentic copy of an ad for a 20mm Solothurn anti-tank
rifle that could be bought by anyone for $200(including a case of 20mm
anti-tank ammo),before the 1968 Gun Control Act was enacted.
I've seen one at a gun show,and it's really impressive next to a Barrett
..50 cal rifle.
you can still own one today,IF you can find a NFA-registered one for
sale,and complete the ATF tax and requirements,and can afford the high
price. you'll have to load your own ammo,it's been banned from being
imported.( the gun and ammo is dirt cheap overseas....)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My state, Texas, just allowed hunting with a suppressor, effective September
1st.

Whether you build your own suppressor (usually pretty easy) or buy a
commercial one, the BATF requires a $200 tax for each one.

Why do yo want one for hunting? So as not to scare away the target?

Why the $200 tax, other than they can get it?

Silencers are considered "Class III" devices which include other things
like automatic weapons and short barrel shotguns. The tax is to
discourage normal law abiding people from having such devices...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-05-20, wrote:

OTOH this is pretty quiet, even in a stock rifle.
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM057-5.html

Yep.

I watched a guy shooting sub-somic ammo at our range through a hvy brl
target rifle. It was literally as quiet as those Hollywood suppressed
movie pistols. It was hilarious to watch, cuz the guy walked up to
his bench dressed like an active military shooting team member, OD
fatigues, jarhead hat, heavy leather GI shooting jacket with slings
and straps and all that Camp Perry crap, scopes, blackout glasses,
honkin big prone position layout pad, etc. We all put down our rifles
and watched this guy meticulously lay out his setup and don his gear
getting prepared to shoot, thinking he was gonna whip out some big
bore long arm and start banging away at 200 yrd targets. Nope! The
rifle was impressive, prolly a Rem 40X, with iron target sights, etc,
but only .22 rimfire. It merely went "poof", "poof". Cracked me up,
but I'll never forget it. Compared to everyone else on the firing
line, we could barely hear his gun's report. Would be perfect for
hunting squurrels or rabbits under 50 yds. Be aware, I've heard some
sub-sonic ammo will not cycle a semi-auto.

nb

--
vi --the heart of evil!
Support labeling GMOs
Posted to alt.home.repair

Shorts won't cycle most semis, so
subsonic even more so.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"notbob"
wrote in message ...

Be aware, I've heard some
sub-sonic ammo will not cycle a semi-auto.

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
On Sun, 20 May 2012 05:58:24 -0500, wrote:

This is Marco. I'm a mafia boss. I offed lots of mobsters with
silencers. Once you get a silencer, you'll never go back. You dont
want Mezza morta, you want em whacked. You cant remove the sound when
you do spring cleaning. The Code Of Silence is of utmost important in
the family and Chiacchierones are offed. When the time comes for a
facia bruta just grab your silencer and get the message job done.

Sure you did, "jw". 10-1 you wouldn't see a mobster if one was
standing next to you.

Everybody knows there is no mafia.

I went into the bar business in Texas with a partner. We got started by
Henry Womble, "Big Daddy Binks". He owned most of the pool tables and juke
boxes in Texas. We had a "sit down" with him. Two 300# guys came with him,
and one stood by the door, the other by the table. Overcoats and all.

He asked us our plan. We explained. He gave us a handwritten list of who
to buy our liquor, beer, tables, stools, everything from. He said if anyone
else came in, just shoo them away, and if they bugged us to call him. We
got some front money. And he explained that "we would pay the money back in
any case, even if the joints went belly up." We agreed. It was a sweet
arrangement. The pool tables were always jumping, so was the juke box, and
cigarette machines, and pinball games. Every week, we'd dump the game
money. Some to keep the juke box playing, and to refund a quarter if the
machines screwed up. Another pile was split and pocketed, just because,
then what was left was counted and split, and that's what went on the
receipt.

We did good, and I lived very well in Houston, shopping at Neiman's and the
mall shops, driving leased cars, living in nice houses and apartments. We
had a total of six bars that we opened and sold from the first one. Then my
partner had a stroke, and it all ended.

And right then, a TV report came out and said after an investigation, it was
determined there was no mafia activity in Texas.

Go figger.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 May 2012 12:25:09 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

And right then, a TV report came out and said after an investigation, it was
determined there was no mafia activity in Texas.

I rest my case.

Go figger.

There is no mafia.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 May 2012 13:46:03 -0400, wrote:

On Sun, 20 May 2012 07:52:33 -0700 (PDT), Robert Macy
wrote:

On May 20, 12:30*am, micky wrote:
[...]

Milk bottle caps in a 1.5" PVC pipe with a coil of window screen in
the first 4" is supposed to work but trying it is illegal so I don't
know, That is my story and I am sticking to it.

The rumor is a .22 sounds like a BB gun. That is th rumor anyway.
The rumor is also that a BX connector will jam down on a .22 barrel
fairly well and give you some 1/2" NPT threads that the PVC screws on.

I have no idea if any of this is true.

OTOH this is pretty quiet, even in a stock rifle.
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM057-5.html

Just put a muffler from a diesel semi truck on the end of your pistol.
You might need some bushings in between. Then attach it with a heavy
duty muffler clamp. Use a chromed muffler to make it look supa-cool.
After all, you want to impress the local gang bangers, when you kill the
dude with the kilo of heroin.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 May 2012 12:25:09 -0700, "Steve B" wrote
Re OT gun silencers:

I went into the bar business in Texas with a partner.

I think you are full of ****.

We did good, and I lived very well in Houston, shopping at Neiman's and the
mall shops, driving leased cars, living in nice houses and apartments. We
had a total of six bars that we opened and sold from the first one. Then my
partner had a stroke, and it all ended.

And now you live in a 25 year old single-wide.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 May 2012 15:24:18 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Shorts won't cycle most semis, so
subsonic even more so.

I'd be surprised if shorts would do anything but jam the works, not so much
because of the lower pressure but because they are *short*. They'll work in
my S&W617, though. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Vinny From NYC" wrote in message
On Sun, 20 May 2012 12:25:09 -0700, "Steve B" wrote
Re OT gun silencers:

I went into the bar business in Texas with a partner.

I think you are full of ****.

We did good, and I lived very well in Houston, shopping at Neiman's and
the
mall shops, driving leased cars, living in nice houses and apartments. We
had a total of six bars that we opened and sold from the first one. Then
my
partner had a stroke, and it all ended.

And now you live in a 25 year old single-wide.

No, I am actually retired to Utah ranch acreage. Plus vacation rentals in
Nevada and Arizona. And the condos in Cabo and Lawai.

How you doing?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

notbob wrote:
On 2012-05-20, micky wrote:
[...]

I don't understand this. In a sonic boom, all the sound arrives at
the same time, because the airplane, or the bullet makes some of its
sound later than other sound, but the plane or bullet is so much
closer to the listener that sound still arrives at the same time.
And that's what makes the boom.

In a subsonic plane, the sound is made all the time, and it arrives at
the listener over almost that same period of time. So you hear the
plane coming for 30 seconds or more

With a bullet, the shooter is behind the bullet. The longer the time
since the bullet was fired, the farther away from him the bullet is,
so any sound made by the bullet itself would be made later and have to
travel farther to reach the shooter.

But no one ever said that the bullet was making the sound. It 's
the exploding gas that makes the sound. For the same weight of
bullet, it must take more powder and a bigger explosion to get the
bullet to travel faster, so the noise would be louder, but only in
proportion to the speed the bullet is meant to travel. If the bullet
travels 600mph (below the speed of sound) instead of 800mph (above it)
the sound for the slower bullet should be about 6/8ths the sound for
the faster bullet. (Or maybe the square of that 36/64ths, a little
more than half) . But the speed of sound would not be a special
delimiter. Any decrease in speed would accompany a decrease in sound.

And assuming the length of the bullet is the same, a supersonic .22
caliber bullet would make less sound than a subsonic .45.

Suppression of the sound of the explosion that propels the bullet is the
domain of the silencer. A suppressor is worthless on a revolver and the bolt
will begin opening - allowing sound out - on an automatic before the rest of
the sound can reach the suppressor. Where a suppressor is most effective is
on a closed-bolt rifle.

My state, Texas, just allowed hunting with a suppressor, effective September
1st.

Whether you build your own suppressor (usually pretty easy) or buy a
commercial one, the BATF requires a $200 tax for each one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On May 20, 12:30*am, micky wrote:
[...]

That's exactly my plan. Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 May 2012 15:56:26 -0700, "Steve B" wrote
Re OT gun silencers:

"Vinny From NYC" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 20 May 2012 12:25:09 -0700, "Steve B" wrote
Re OT gun silencers:

I went into the bar business in Texas with a partner.

I think you are full of ****.

We did good, and I lived very well in Houston, shopping at Neiman's and
the
mall shops, driving leased cars, living in nice houses and apartments. We
had a total of six bars that we opened and sold from the first one. Then
my
partner had a stroke, and it all ended.

And now you live in a 25 year old single-wide.

No, I am actually retired to Utah ranch acreage. Plus vacation rentals in
Nevada and Arizona. And the condos in Cabo and Lawai.

How you doing?

Steve

Very well Steve, thanks for asking. I cleared 1.1B$ on the FaceBook
IPO last week. I had expected it to be more, but the IPO was kind of
a flop; but hey, I'm not complaining.

Glad to read that you are doing well. You've come a long way since
the days when you were drinking 65-cent Tbird from a brown paper bag.
I'm gratified that you put those $1 bills I used to drop in your cup
to good use and how you now know everything about anything. Keep up
the good work. You are an amazing dude.

Take care

Vinny
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 20, 2:30*am, micky wrote:
OT * Are gun silencers on pistols really as effective as they show in
the movies? * *What about the breech? *Does a lot of the noise come
from there?

And what about the muzzle? *Doesn't the bullet make a hole in whatever
is in the silencer, so the noise can follow the bullet out the hole?
After all, the walls on the barrel are pretty strong, so the noise
without a silencer must come out the mouth of the barrel. *Why not out
the mouth of the silencer, at least after it's been used a couple
times?

* I've fired a pistol, without a silencer, and didn't or couldn't
notice these things.

I used to hang with some avid gun enthusiasts years ago and had the
opportunity to fire both revolver (.357) and automatic (.22 long
rifle) with silencers. Both of these guys have a pretty pronounced
report. I don't think the silencer did much at all for the revolver
and this is true from behind the gun or watching it being fired by
someone else. The .22 was a different story. The normally loud
report was softened significantly but it was still a loud "pop". I
doubt if the sound has the long-distance carry of the open muzzle.

This might be why the Ruger '22 auto, or similar sized silencer
equipped .22 is the weapon of choice for some professional hit men.

Not that I'm a pro. )

RonB
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote in
:

wrote:

My state, Texas, just allowed hunting with a suppressor, effective
September 1st.

Whether you build your own suppressor (usually pretty easy) or buy a
commercial one, the BATF requires a $200 tax for each one.

NOT just a $200 tax,but fingerprinting,background check,and written
permission from a local law enforcement officer.
Plus,your state has to allow them.

You CAN'T "build your own" suppressor legally,it requires a
manufacturer's license from ATF.A good way to go to jail.

also,you have to pay the tax,etc,and get the ATF tax stamp BEFORE you
can take possession of your suppressor.

You CAN build your own. One. More than one, you are a manufacturer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 21 May 2012 05:24:57 -0700 (PDT), RonB wrote:

On May 20, 2:30*am, micky wrote:
[...]

Up close and personal, a .357 will blow in one side of the head and out the
other. A .22 will make a nice neat hole in one side and rattle around inside
making pureed brain. A lot less mess and a sure kill.

Not that I'm a pro. )

Got your red pumps on again? ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

G. Morgan wrote:
HeyBub wrote:

Jim Yanik wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote in
:

wrote:

My state, Texas, just allowed hunting with a suppressor, effective
September 1st.

Whether you build your own suppressor (usually pretty easy) or
buy a commercial one, the BATF requires a $200 tax for each one.

NOT just a $200 tax,but fingerprinting,background check,and written
permission from a local law enforcement officer.
Plus,your state has to allow them.

You CAN'T "build your own" suppressor legally,it requires a
manufacturer's license from ATF.A good way to go to jail.

also,you have to pay the tax,etc,and get the ATF tax stamp BEFORE
you can take possession of your suppressor.

You CAN build your own. One. More than one, you are a manufacturer.

So by manufacturing ONE and taking it down for the stamp, have you
already broken the law? Or can you buy a tax stamp on a
non-existent suppressor, then make it?

You get the stamp first.

How do you make it? Wouldn't one need to be a machinist?

Nah, check the various plans on the web.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 20, 5:34 am, notbob wrote:
On 2012-05-20, micky wrote:

[...]

If your trying to measure a gun, you need a special peak reading device, or
an oscilloscope.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Tue, 22 May 2012 18:55:48 -0500, "HeyBub"

On Mon, 21 May 2012 16:55:12 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

You CAN build your own. One. More than one, you are a manufacturer.

Not true at all.
If you tape a 2 liter bottle on the muzzle of your gun with the
"intent" of making it quieter you are in violation of NFA34 even if
it actually made it louder.

10 years and a $10,000 fine.

Not if you get the stamp first. That is, one stamp allows you to
make one silencer. To make more than one silencer, you need multiple
stamps - or register as a manufacturer.

Where did you hear that?
Your information is seriously flawed. You can't fill out the
application until you have the serial number of the device.

Sigh.

See 27 CFR 479.62

--- begin quote

Title 27: Alcohol, Tobacco Products, and Firearms

CHAPTER II: BUREAU OF ALCOHOL, TOBACCO, FIREARMS, AND EXPLOSIVES, DEPARTMENT
OF JUSTICE

SUBCHAPTER B: FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION

PART 479: MACHINE GUNS, DESTRUCTIVE DEVICES, AND CERTAIN OTHER FIREARMS

Subpart E: Tax on Making Firearms

: Application to Make A Firearm

479.62 - Application to make.

No person shall make a firearm unless the person has filed with the Director
a written application on Form 1 (Firearms), Application to Make and Register
a Firearm, in duplicate, executed under the penalties of perjury, to make
and register the firearm and has received the approval of the Director to
make the firearm ... If the making is taxable, a remittance in the amount of
$200 shall be submitted with the application in accordance with the
instructions on the form. If the making is taxable and the application is
approved, the Director will affix a National Firearms Act stamp to the
original application in the space provided therefor and properly cancel the
stamp... "

--- end quote

Note a "silencer" or "suppressor" is a "firearm" (as is a land mine or hand
grenade) for purposes of this chapter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

OT Are gun silencers on pistols really as effective as they show in
the movies? What about the breech? Does a lot of the noise come
from there?

And what about the muzzle? Doesn't the bullet make a hole in whatever
is in the silencer, so the noise can follow the bullet out the hole?
After all, the walls on the barrel are pretty strong, so the noise
without a silencer must come out the mouth of the barrel. Why not out
the mouth of the silencer, at least after it's been used a couple
times?

I've fired a pistol, without a silencer, and didn't or couldn't
notice these things.

What sounds pretty darn quiet outside, in a suburban
environment, will probably leave your ears ringing in a
quiet hallway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/21/2012 6:33 AM, Vinny From NYC wrote:
On Sun, 20 May 2012 15:56:26 -0700, "Steve wrote
Re OT gun silencers:

"Vinny From wrote in message
On Sun, 20 May 2012 12:25:09 -0700, "Steve wrote
Re OT gun silencers:

[...]

Both of you are posting from a public library.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 May 2012 10:06:26 -0500, gonjah gonjah.net wrote:

Both of you are posting from a public library.

.... sittin' next to each other?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

OT Are gun silencers on pistols really as effective as they show in
the movies? What about the breech? Does a lot of the noise come
from there?

And what about the muzzle? Doesn't the bullet make a hole in
whatever is in the silencer, so the noise can follow the bullet out
the hole? After all, the walls on the barrel are pretty strong, so
the noise without a silencer must come out the mouth of the barrel.
Why not out the mouth of the silencer, at least after it's been used
a couple times?

I've fired a pistol, without a silencer, and didn't or couldn't
notice these things.

What sounds pretty darn quiet outside, in a suburban
environment, will probably leave your ears ringing in a
quiet hallway.

Is good. You won't hear the goblin screaming like a duck has hold of him.

Posted to alt.home.repair

notbob wrote:

BTW, if you see a suppressor on the end of a revolver, you know it's
total bull****.

nb

Not necessarily...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nagant_M1895#cite_note-0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvF4y...eature=related
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-05-30, Mike Paulsen wrote:

Not necessarily...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nagant_M1895#cite_note-0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvF4y...eature=related

Good catch and interesting video. While I'm familiar with the Nagant,
I don't recall EVER seeing one in a movie, silenced or otherwise.

nb

--
vi --the heart of evil!
Support labeling GMOs