Posted to alt.home.repair
notbob notbob is offline

Default OT gun silencers

On 2012-05-20, micky wrote:
OT Are gun silencers on pistols really as effective as they show in
the movies?

I would appear not. Look at these tests:

http://tinyurl.com/6nj5lrh

.....and here is a chart listing real world sound levels.

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/TableOf...sureLevels.htm

I can do a very loud fingers-under-tongue whistle that hurts most
people's ears, they typically reacting by covering their ears with
their hands, abeit too late. I've measured my whistle at 113 db. The
above chart tends to indicate that most suppressors reduce a gun's
report only to close-to-painful.

So, it would appear those movies where the silencer (suppressor is the
PC term) merely goes "pffft" are nonsense. OTOH, these are jes
commercial silencers, not very expensive ultra hi-tech military
suppressors. Also, there is sub-sonic ammunition, which will go a
long way toward reducing heard noise. I once watched a marine in full
range competition regalia shoot a precision .22 target rifle
(un-suppressed) using sub-sonic target ammo. It didn't make much more
noise than those silenced firearms one sees in the movies.

BTW, if you see a suppressor on the end of a revolver, you know it's
total bull****.

nb

--
vi --the heart of evil!