Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] rapnigga@drugged.com is offline

Default OT gun silencers

On Sun, 20 May 2012 13:46:03 -0400, wrote:

On Sun, 20 May 2012 07:52:33 -0700 (PDT), Robert Macy
wrote:

On May 20, 12:30*am, micky wrote:
OT * Are gun silencers on pistols really as effective as they show in
the movies? * *What about the breech? *Does a lot of the noise come
from there?

And what about the muzzle? *Doesn't the bullet make a hole in whatever
is in the silencer, so the noise can follow the bullet out the hole?
After all, the walls on the barrel are pretty strong, so the noise
without a silencer must come out the mouth of the barrel. *Why not out
the mouth of the silencer, at least after it's been used a couple
times?

* I've fired a pistol, without a silencer, and didn't or couldn't
notice these things.

The BEST you can do is use a revolver, fold a pillow over the gun, and
fire at close range. Sound will be heard but not very far, plus NO
flash..I know I tried EVERYTHING. - before internet avaiable research.
The best small one I ever made was an empty paper towel roll cut to
still longer than a toilet paper roll. Fill the tube with fluffly wads
of facial tissue, overlap the barrel about 1 1/2 to 2 inches and use
once.

I understand there is an 'Israeli' type you can make in the field for
multiple use - Uses a series of washers in a tube to provide the
baffling, built on the principle ofthe auto muffler

Milk bottle caps in a 1.5" PVC pipe with a coil of window screen in
the first 4" is supposed to work but trying it is illegal so I don't
know, That is my story and I am sticking to it.

The rumor is a .22 sounds like a BB gun. That is th rumor anyway.
The rumor is also that a BX connector will jam down on a .22 barrel
fairly well and give you some 1/2" NPT threads that the PVC screws on.

I have no idea if any of this is true.

OTOH this is pretty quiet, even in a stock rifle.
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM057-5.html

Just put a muffler from a diesel semi truck on the end of your pistol.
You might need some bushings in between. Then attach it with a heavy
duty muffler clamp. Use a chromed muffler to make it look supa-cool.
After all, you want to impress the local gang bangers, when you kill the
dude with the kilo of heroin.